Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hi all<P>I would like to get into coyote hunting "as they are the only varmint that I can find in Iowa" . What kind of stuff do I "NEED" to get started ? I got the gun , and the scope. A Savage 10 fp in .223 , and a weaver grand slam 6-20x40 , but I would like to know what else I "need" to get started . Like camo , calls , ect... ?<P>I am a bit short on funds , so try to keep it as basic as possable . <BR>First I will start by saying I would like to start off with a hand call . Witch one would be best ? Also is camo needed ? Or could I put on my tan colored overalls , and set up a blind of some sort ? Is there any thing besides a call , and camo that I would need , or really should have for coyote hunting ?<P>BTW , what .223 rounds are best for coyotes ?<BR>I would like a bullet that will stop em in there track , and keep em down . What should I use ? I would like to use v-max (or something like that) , but they all seem to be 50-55 grainers , and my rifle has a twist rate of 1 in 9 , and "should" shoot the bigger 60-70 grain bullets better . Dose any one make a "varmint type round" with 60 or up grain bullets ?<P>Thanks: treeratkiller

GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hey Killa !<P>All you need are some camo clothing(Don't forget to get a face mask VERY important) a gun(sounds like you've got one already) and a hand call.. So, camo hat(ball cap), face mask, gloves, pants, shirt/jacket(I like the netting over coats if you can find them).. <P><BR>I like the Haydel's calls and Sceery.. though I must admit I still use some old Lohman calls..<P>Depending on what the primary food source is.. you should be able to decide which to use.. if jack rabbits rule then try the Haydel's Government... or cottontail or whatever.. these are inexpensive.. say 10 bucks or so...<P>Other stuff you might consider are.. shooting sticks.. they really help me.. for longer shots.. a sqeaker and a howler(Sceery works very well with practice)<P>Your ready to hunt.. the least of my worries would be what type bullet to use.. I shoot .223 and have successfully used 35gr VMAX, 40gr Ballistic Tips, 50 TNT's more importantly would be to gain confidence in your shooting...<P>HTH and Good LUCK !<P>--Steve

--Steve
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
WayCool- thatks for the help ! I will need to be getting some camo soon I guess . No biggy , as turky season is right around the corner , and I still need camo for that too .<BR>I have a face mask , so I got that taken care of "if I can find it" . All thats left is the calls . BTW the only reason that I was asking about the bullets , is cuz my rifle twist is 1 in 9 , and I was thinking maybe someone knew of a bigger varmint style round "I sure can't find any" .<P>Regards: treeratkiller

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hello,<P>I would reccomend getting Dr. Ed Sceery's AP-3 calls in Jackrabbitt and cottontail. Another great call he offers is the AP-6. Each call will run you 15-20 depending on your stores you shop. He offers a instructional video to that will help you out.<P>Also it is late in the calling season and I would reccomend getting a holwer. Ed Sceery also offers a great howler for 20 bucks with a video too. Mating season will be starting very soon and this will probably work more effectively than distress cry's.<P>I shoot a .222 which is similar. I load up 50 grain ballistic tips. I have one shot kills, animal crashes in there tracks. This bullet will give you an entrance hole the size of a quarter with no exit. The animal absorbs all of the kinetic energy and shock. Horandy offers V Max factory loads for 14 a box. They also offer 40 grainers that wizz some 3,600 fps. I have yet to find a better bullet. Some 100 coyotes have been dropped now with the v max.<P>If you go with full metal jackets or hollow points you may just gut complete pass throughs and have the animals run off. Once again, if you use V Max's and make the shot they will go NO were. If you would like to see some pictures I have them. Shoot me an email.<P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey, Killa'<BR>Hornady makes a 60-grain V-Max in .224. It's a very nice bullet. Don't get too hung up on having a barrel with a 1-9 twist. Yours may shoot lilghter bullets very well. Chamber and throat dimensions play a big role in determining what bullets shoot well. I actually get the best accuracy in my Bushmaster AR-15 (1-9 twist) with medium weight pointy bullets like the 50-55 grain V-Max and Sierra BlitzKing. <BR>The reason: a loose military chamber and long throat. But it's not like I care since "best accuracy" is .3 to .4 MOA! From a black rifle! [Linked Image] <BR>Buy lots of bullets and try lots of loads. Settle on what shoots best and shoot lots of it.

IC B2

M
M
Couldn't help notice your nick name "The Black Rifle" LOL...It's hard to believe that Mattel (Yeah, the people who make Matchbox cars) use to make these weapons. Interestingly enough I have an older Bushmaster E2Shorty (HB) that shoots consistently 1/2 moa (in fact I even took a boar with it a few years back). Can't beat the cheap brass (read free if you go out to the rifle range and go into the brass bins [Linked Image]). Yep, I'm sure gonna miss it, had to take it home (TX) because of the registration law that went into effect out here in CA. Oh well, just another excuse to buy another weapon! ~MarinePMI

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hey guys <P>Thanks for the info on coyote hunting , and bullets !<P>Ok , now this is a little off topic , but you guys seem to know a little about AR15 type rifle so ........<P>I would like to get a AR type rifle in the next year , or so "it will take me a year to save up the cash" . Any way I don't want to spend more that $850.00-$900.00 (without scope) .<BR>What would be a go place to start ? I am only 17 (18 by the time I got the cash , LOL) would I have any problems with the law ?<P>I had been looking at a M17S bullpup .<BR>If it is any thing it is cost effective .<BR>I have also read good , and bad things about it (the good has overcome the bad so far) . <BR>What do ya'll think ? Should I try the M17 or save up a few hundred more , and get a real AR15 ? I don't think I can get up enuff cash to get one of them sweet little "match rifles" but I don't want to get stuck with a lemon ether .<P>BTW- can you still get 20 or 30 round clips ?<BR>Or did Bill "blow job" Kilinton mess that up for us too ? <P>Heck , I would not be so quick to jump the gun , and get one of these rifles , but it seems like it's "Now or never" . If you still can get high compasity mags should I be out there looking for them NOW before some "gun graber" get a-hold of them too ?<P>Also , dose any one know of a fourm that is for AR's ect. ? I would go to shooters.com , BUT O YA THEY BANNED ME "pricks" .<P><BR>Regards , and thanks: treeratkiller<p>[This message has been edited by treeratkiller (edited February 08, 2001).]

M
M
Killa, While the "AR" style weapons are nice to look at, reliable as H@#!!, reasonably accurate (superb for a semi-auto) I would have to recommend against one. Now hold on everyone, don't get your britches in an uproar! Let me explain. For the money they're asking nowadays, as well as all the pending legislation going on it just doesn't seem prudent to buy one. Granted, they're great weapons for what they were designed for, but they were not designed for hunting. With the $1000 or so dollars you'd need to get one up and running with the big dogs, you'd be well advised to sink that money in one or more well made firearms. JMHO...Bring it on guys defend your "Black Guns" [Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Copied from one of my earlier posts:<P>What a shock! I stayed away from those military types for years. Finally looked at an AR-15 Colt Match Competition HBAR II. Handles and shoots like nothing I ever touched before. Jury still out on 223 adequacy for coyotes running through this Sonoran brush, but it sure is easy to get off fast follow-up shots. I now see why they are used by swat teams and military! So amazed by it that I am looking at AR-10 with uppers in both 243 and 308! Simply amazing weapon! Fun and awesome!<BR><P>------------------<BR><BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Treeratkiller,<P>I have no direct experience with the M17S, but I have to think it's not a perfect choice for varmints. I do know the AR-15 can be a very good in that application. Whether the money is well spent verses a bolt gun is a decision you have to make. I wouldn't trade. Period. <P>Actually, the Bushmaster Match Target is not the "high end" when it comes to prices. You can find out more and compare at <A HREF="http://www.bushmaster.com." TARGET=_blank>www.bushmaster.com.</A> Sure, there are Colts and DPMS and Armalite and others. My club has a bunch of AR shooters and half of the ones I know are shooting Bushmasters set up in one way or another by E4E. <P>I have to differ with MarinePMI on a couple points. First, Mattel never made AR's although calling it the Mattie Mattel Special was common when I was an army dog. He is right the cost/benefit trade off getting an AR doesn't work out int he autoloader's favor if you compare them even up with bolt gun. You have to ask yourself if the mystique of a black rifle is worth the extra dollars. For me it is. I'm planning to put together a second one...and have even started setting aside parts. <P>You asked about hi-cap magazines. There seem to be plenty out there but prices for the 30 rounders are running about 30-40 dollars for GI and ten bucks less for the less reliable steel civilian models. Ten round mags you can get from the manufacturers and five rounders are cheap and common at gun shows. <P>I see from your posts you're from Illinois. I have no idea what the regulatory climate there might be. I live across the state line in Michigan and although the have a political fight on our hands over concealed carry, I think we're a long ways from AR registration and confiscation. Or it could happen tomorrow if the media gets ahold of one high profile shooting. (You pays yo' money and you takes yo' chances.) <P>One more item. ARs are a big investment. Protect it. There's one distributor I know of, Davidsons, who offer a lifetime guarantee. Bend it, break it, blow it up, they replace it. When you check dealers, see if they can get you an AR through Davidsons. Get the guarantee. It's not just a sales gimmick. <P>And if you're a year away from having the scratch, do some reading. Talk to some people, go to the range and look over the AR's you find there. See what people think. Listen carefully to people who say "Don't" like MarinePMI does. He might be right when it comes to your choice. And start your reading with a book called "Black Magic" by John Feamster. It was published by "Precision Shooting" magazine. <P>Hope this helps. Good luck. <P>Talker

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MarinePMI, E4E informs me Mattel DID make stocks and other plastic furniture for the M-16. That's enough to make you right and me wrong. I stand corrected and apologize for sounding like a know-it-all doofus. <BR>Talker<BR>

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Well an AR may or may not be the right choice , and it dose cost some buckes , but it seems like every thing good cost money ! [Linked Image]<P>I want to get this rifle before any more bills are passed to restrict the sales of these "bad assult rifles" ! :eyerolls:<P>And I don't plan to scrimp on this gun ether .I plan to spend around $1300.00 or more for the rifle , scope , mounts "witch seem to cost a lot , extras . I want to do things right , and I just joined the new AR15.com forum . BTW the add. is <BR><A HREF="http://www.ar15.com:1111" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ar15.com:1111</A> <P>regards:treeratkiller

M
M
Talker, No offense taken! We all learn new things or break long held misconceptions by coming to these types of BBS's. H%^&, if I had a nickel for everytime I thought I was right about something, and someone else corrected me I'd be a millionaire! --Keep'em in the black! ~MarinePMI

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,468
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.