J
Originally Posted by SLM
Practice falling down till then.😂

Originally Posted by Judman
[quote=SLM]Thanks though pard, I draw a bull tag, we’re gonna wrestle!!! Haha 🤣

Your shoulder blades are gonna be real sore!!! Haha 😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good shít, laffin’.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag.

Going on my first Elk hunt in the coming year. Got my old 1973 Rem 700 .30-06 shooting really well. Some of these replies are making me feel under gunned but I know the '06 with 168 gr TTSX hand loads will work. Have the gun dialed in to 550 yards and will limit my shots to 400 on game.

Merry Christmas and a blessed new year!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Tag.

Going on my first Elk hunt in the coming year. Got my old 1973 Rem 700 .30-06 shooting really well. Some of these replies are making me feel under gunned but I know the '06 with 168 gr TTSX hand loads will work. Have the gun dialed in to 550 yards and will limit my shots to 400 on game.

Oh it’ll work perfectly! Enjoy the trip - I bet you’re pumped.

Merry Christmas!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tag.

It’ll work smile

Merry Christmas!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Tag.

Yeah, You'll be good to Go!
Shot placement with that Great Caliber, as any other Cartridge Caliber Choice, is the Key!

Enjoy and Good Luck!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
This will ruffle alotta feathers, ask Dan Agnew, the late Tod Riechert, Denny Austad, the guys that persue giant bulls, the biggest of the the big, that spend more on (1) tag than most of the members houses here are worth, what chambering they’re running… I’ll let ya in on it, it sure as fuuck ain’t a 280 ai, 7/08, 6.5 cm, 308 or any of that bullshiit… and there’s a reason for that…. Hint

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
In short, I guess the last people I’d listen to is the guys that get to hunt bulls every 5-10 years if they’re lucky or folks that hunt desert country… hint 😂😂 oh I love the “hint” haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jud, I hope it's a .30-06. whistle

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Both are within my locale, “Dan and the late Tod” rip, and no, not even close… 😘

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300 Weatherby is a great elk cartridge. I have a Pre 64 70 in a 300 H&H Improved, which I believe is the cartridge the 300 Weatherby was designed to mimic. Same dimensions and loading specs, but with the Weatherby radiused shoulders. My son loves it for elk and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting it back from him any time soon...

However good it is, there are lots of great cartridges out these days that are its equal or better- 338 WM, 300 RUM, 338 RUM, and many more....

A lot of guys who spend a lot of money on tags really don't know rifles and ballistics like the loonies on this forum- they buy what somebody recommends to them, shoot them a couple times a year with some off the shelf ammo, and go hunting with guides and help to get their elk out of the mountains... I've know a few of these guys and they were great guys most of the time but didn't know crap about rifles, ballistics, bullets, etc.....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
300 Weatherby is a great elk cartridge. I have a Pre 64 70 in a 300 H&H Improved, which I believe is the cartridge the 300 Weatherby was designed to mimic. Same dimensions and loading specs, but with the Weatherby radiused shoulders. My son loves it for elk and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting it back from him any time soon...

However good it is, there are lots of great cartridges out these days that are its equal or better- 338 WM, 300 RUM, 338 RUM, and many more....

A lot of guys who spend a lot of money on tags really don't know rifles and ballistics like the loonies on this forum- they buy what somebody recommends to them, shoot them a couple times a year with some off the shelf ammo, and go hunting with guides and help to get their elk out of the mountains... I've know a few of these guys and they were great guys most of the time but didn't know crap about rifles, ballistics, bullets, etc.....

Bob

Bingo.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Bob

Bob, what do you use in oregon? Curious

I'm betting you don't know some of these folks like I do.... Hint

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Bob

Bingo.

Having hunted your locale more than once, I'd use a 243 for everything, 👍😁

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Since you know these folks so well, perhaps you can recommend the much lighter, shorter, easier to shoot, cheaper to shoot, less recoiling rounds. Surely after more 400" inch bulls than everyone here combined will ever shoot, they'll listen up!!! 😂😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bob

Are you on crack?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Bob

Are you on crack?

Right? We got some calf killin , desert huntin, Alberta flat ground huntin sumbitches here!!! I mean, folks can hump em up and watch for miles if need be!!! Just fuucking amazing... Kill some mature bulls in western WA \oregon north Idaho before ya start yappin....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Bob

Bingo.

Having hunted your locale more than once, I'd use a 243 for everything, 👍😁

Which locale? Alberta is a big province with diverse topography. I’ve hunted elk in the Rockies, thick boreal forest, foothills, rolling prairies, etc. A lot of variety here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to laugh that the measure of a cartridge seems to be how big of a bull you think it will kill... I'm pretty sure anything I listed above and many more will kill any bull walking and then some.

And somehow now it's a contest of who knows who? If you have the money a guide will get you close enough to any size bull you want so the cartridge is a secondary consideration IMO... big bulls go down just like any other bulls if you punch a hole in the right place... if you think otherwise I'm thinking you haven't been hitting them in the right place....

I swear, this isn't a hunting site any more- it has officially become a penis measuring contest.... I guess you guys win because I just don't really give a crap....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Bob

Are you on crack?

Right? We got some calf killin , desert huntin, Alberta flat ground huntin sumbitches here!!! I mean, folks can hump em up and watch for miles if need be!!! Just fuucking amazing... Kill some mature bulls in western WA \oregon north Idaho before ya start yappin....

Well he lost all credibility with me when he declared the .338 WM is “better”

I’ve killed elk with both. They are probably my 2 favorite cartridges for serious elk hunting.

But I would never go so far as to say one is unequivocally “better” for hunting.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 68 of 70 1 2 66 67 68 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 40 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.