-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With Ford using its turbo technology in nearly everything these days, I wonder when we will see a smaller V8 or big 6 with twin turbos for the Super Duty line? Perhaps they are holding off for durability reasons, but I'd imagine they could get significantly better economy using a 4.5-5.5L EcoBoost variant. No flies on the Godzilla, but the lack of turbo implementation for the F250/350 is curious.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A buddy of mine looked a a new on the lot 350 ford with the diesel engine. its loaded and 4/4. Dealers window sticker $95,000! good god!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice truck. Post up some pics when you get it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
With Ford using its turbo technology in nearly everything these days, I wonder when we will see a smaller V8 or big 6 with twin turbos for the Super Duty line? Perhaps they are holding off for durability reasons, but I'd imagine they could get significantly better economy using a 4.5-5.5L EcoBoost variant. No flies on the Godzilla, but the lack of turbo implementation for the F250/350 is curious.

I wonder if it has to due with CAFE standards? Unless the regulations have changed, the emphasis is on cars and light duty trucks (1/2-ton) and not 3/4-ton, etc. No sense in adding cost and complexity of turbos to a Super Duty unless there is pressure or demand from the customer or regulatory agency.

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/10/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPro

They have the Powerstroke turbo diesel for that need. I doubt you'll ever see a turbo gas engine in the Super Duty, unless the EPA finally gets their wish of banning Diesel engines.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Swapping out my Power Stroke for the 7.3 gas….said 6 months minimum on the order.

Originally Posted by Higginez
Ordered my 350 in April and got it first part of Nov. FWIW

Originally Posted by 30338
Saw a new 2022 Tundra on the road and for the first time in 20 years put money down on a Ford. Ford F250 Lariat, 7.3, crew cab, locking 3.55 axle.

Originally Posted by 2five7
I sure love mine! Been there, done that, with the turbo diesels. The 7.3 gas is the first real option for guys not wanting to play the diesel drama game. Post up some pics when you get it!

Originally Posted by 1Longbow
I own a 2021 250 Super Duty with the 7.3. Having been a Cummins guy for the past 15 years,I have to say I like it.

Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I bought an F-550 last year with the 7.3L gas engine, 10 speed, but 4.88 gears. We put 5 tons on it every day and it pulls fine.

I've been super interested in the 7.3L Godzilla since it was announced. At that time, I was involved with spark and compression ignited engine testing/implementation, and dealt with the various aftertreatment issues on diesel engines. That said, I'm not a fan of the current constraints on diesel engines.

Anyway, I would really appreciate your opinions on this Godzilla engine as you gain miles. And please consider posting your views.

I created this thread, if you'd like to share your experience. Thanks in advance.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/16946897/ford-7-3l-thread#Post16946897

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not a Godzilla, but I went from the LML Duramax to the new Direct Injection 6.6 L8T GM. Nearly 20,000 mile of driving and to towing travel trailers and boats through the plains and Rockies and I don’t miss the diesel. You will probably like the Godzilla if you like a Ford in other ways.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of mine ordered one last February with the Tremor package. It took 10 months to get it. When he did, they offered him $13K over what he paid for it. I looked at one that a dealer had on the lot a couple of months ago, but they lowballed my trade by $8G GM was going to give me and then had a dealer markup of another $8G. I passed.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm on two years and 55,000 miles with the 7.3 Godzilla, ordered one when they first came out. As I've said on other posts I drove nothing but diesels for 26 yrs, I have no complaints on the Godzilla motor. I pull a fair amount considering I'm a rancher, it pulls good.

Have yet to get a "Def Heater" or "Def Pump" code like I did multiple times on my last diesel. Lmao

I like to joke with my buddies that I bought this pickup "already deleted".

Damn shame what's happened to diesel motors in the last 10-11 years.

Bill

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tx270
I'm on two years and 55,000 miles with the 7.3 Godzilla, ordered one when they first came out. As I've said on other posts I drove nothing but diesels for 26 yrs, I have no complaints on the Godzilla motor. I pull a fair amount considering I'm a rancher, it pulls good.

Have yet to get a "Def Heater" or "Def Pump" code like I did multiple times on my last diesel. Lmao

Bill
What's your unloaded highway mileage like? In maybe the next couple years, i might trade off my Dodge diesel. I don't need the diesel and it's too expensive to fill then tank.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Yes sir. I’ve got a 2019 F350 with the Diesel currently that I bought new. It has 10,000 miles on it and they are offering me $12K more than I paid for it new. Interesting times…

Wow, $12K more than you paid new!. That's nuts. I have a 2019 F350 that I bought new. I'm at 40k.

How many miles does yours have?
10,500 miles
Crazy part is I think I could get more if I wanted to fool with selling it myself or got quotes from other dealers. I only have Carmax offer and the dealer that I ordered from. Both offers were within a few hundred dollars of each other. Keep in mind that I get A/Z Plan pricing….so all of these figures are based on that discount.
I think I remember you buying that truck within a month or so of me buying mine.

I bought this one with the A/Z Plan. 95% of my the miles on this truck are really heavy towing, mostly interstate. I wonder how the Godzilla will do with heavy towing. It's a shame what the EPA has done to diesels in the last 20 years.

Do you get to keep driving your 2019 until the new one comes in? Do they have any kind of mileage limitations on the offer.

Congrats on the deal. It sounds like they're going to be paying you to get a new truck! Crazy times.

I read today that this Ukraine situation could cause raw material supply constraints on several gases that are integral to microchip manufacturing.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Bill
What's your unloaded highway mileage like? In maybe the next couple years, i might trade off my Dodge diesel. I don't need the diesel and it's too expensive to fill then tank.

Average day to day 13-13.5 mpg (3.73 gears), that's highway/town combined. On pure highway trips I've nudged 15 empty. Does a little better up in CO and your country, thinner air I think.

Bill

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes sir. I’ve got a 2019 F350 with the Diesel currently that I bought new. It has 10,000 miles on it and they are offering me $12K more than I paid for it new. Interesting times…

Wow, $12K more than you paid new!. That's nuts. I have a 2019 F350 that I bought new. I'm at 40k.

How many miles does yours have?
10,500 miles
Crazy part is I think I could get more if I wanted to fool with selling it myself or got quotes from other dealers. I only have Carmax offer and the dealer that I ordered from. Both offers were within a few hundred dollars of each other. Keep in mind that I get A/Z Plan pricing….so all of these figures are based on that discount.
I think I remember you buying that truck within a month or so of me buying mine.

I bought this one with the A/Z Plan. 95% of my the miles on this truck are really heavy towing, mostly interstate. I wonder how the Godzilla will do with heavy towing. It's a shame what the EPA has done to diesels in the last 20 years.

Do you get to keep driving your 2019 until the new one comes in? Do they have any kind of mileage limitations on the offer.

Congrats on the deal. It sounds like they're going to be paying you to get a new truck! Crazy times.

I read today that this Ukraine situation could cause raw material supply constraints on several gases that are integral to microchip manufacturing.
As far as the offers go, the Carmax was good for 7 days and then they must issue another offer. The offer from my dealer is good for 6 weeks. Then same thing…they will evaluate and issue another offer. I rarely drive the truck as I have other options to drive. I didn’t ask specifically, but I am certain that the offers are dependent on mileage.
Part of me wanted to sell now because of the “high” offers, but then again, if I let my current truck go now, I could end up with no truck in the end if interest rates are crazy high…or if Ford doesn’t resolve their parts problem. I decided to hold onto my current truck until the new one is delivered. Worst case scenario, I keep my 6.7 Diesel with 10,000 or so miles and lose the $500 deposit for ordering.
Chips are an issue currently as well as magnesium for the aluminum bodies. My buddy at the dealership said that the Ford Truck and Bus plant where these are made have had to shut down and lay off twice now because of part supply issues. This further pushes out the orders.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Bill

Average day to day 13-13.5 mpg (3.73 gears), that's highway/town combined. On pure highway trips I've nudged 15 empty. Does a little better up in CO and your country, thinner air I think.

Bill

thanks. That's close to what I get with my '08 Dodge Cummins but the fuel for it is a quarter more most of the time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Seriously considering putting one of these in it along with headers and cat back exhaust when it gets here.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a tuned LBZ Duramax that I bought new. It was lot of fun putting that truck together.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Picked up my 2022 F250 with the 7.3 gas two weeks ago. Ordered from a dealer in Iowa and drove 2000 miles home.
Got the tremor package with 4.30 rear end, so averaged 13.4 on the trip home.
Bought it to tow a travel trailer and use for recreation so it sits during the week.
Lots of nice features but wouldn’t want to have commute in it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Your mpg will bump up soon as the rings, mains and rod bearings break in. Also, the mesh of the ring and pinion gears of your rear axle.

By your next oil change, youll easily be in the 15mpg-16 mpg range.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,474
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.