Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks John.
I don’t know if you saw my last post but I DID NOT use acetone or any type of degreaser in the barrel after the Wipe Out.
Do you think the DTBC still made it its way To the barrel?
I am at a loss here on what to do next.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The bore definitely needs to be degreased before patching-in DBC.

If you have any JB Compound I'd use it to remove the fouling, then start all over, degreasing before installing the DBC.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The bore definitely needs to be degreased before patching-in DBC.

If you have any JB Compound I'd use it to remove the fouling, then start all over, degreasing before installing the DBC.

Ok, thanks John!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
Thanks John.
I don’t know if you saw my last post but I DID NOT use acetone or any type of degreaser in the barrel after the Wipe Out.

Yepper it did. As MD said no solvent will touch it even with a bronze brush. There’s a statement on the back that says permanent and they mean it.
According to their patent application the stuff is supposed to be self repairing if any spots were missed, didn’t really find that to be true.
Again as MD says you can try another application after cleaning real well and degreasing. Hopefully that will do it, if not and still not happy, live with it or rebarrel are your only options.

BTDT so statement from experience.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using it since 2017
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14315206/1

I suspect it may not be needed with anti Copper fouling powders like CFE223, Re23, IMR-4451, and IMR-4166.

But even if you use those powders and have a lifetime supply of Bore Coat, I can think of no big reason for not putting it in a new barrel.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
DBC = 2 years ago i installed this in my 257 Weatherby mag. Brux barrel after it was cleaned well i have no intention of cleaning this rifle for a few years , installed it in my 257 Creedmoor after i clean this Brux barrel well have shot this rifle about 150 + times might be time to clean it ? ,put this treatment in a new 6.5 Creedmoor Brux target barrel and as i post this my new 6 B.R Brux. barrel is at the machinist`s place and this barrel will get the treatment before i use it too on my switch barrel bench rifle. i have a new T.C. muzzle loader that i have not shot yet and that will get a DBC treatment also. if i have any left my Perazzi trap shotgun will get a treatment too ! > i think in the future many shooters will be using DBC.

Last edited by pete53; 02/21/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
DBC = 2 years ago i installed this in my 257 Weatherby mag. Brux barrel after it was cleaned well i have no intention of cleaning this rifle for a few years , installed it in my 257 Creedmoor after i clean this Brux barrel well have shot this rifle about 150 + times might be time to clean it ? ,put this treatment in a new 6.5 Creedmoor Brux target barrel and as i post this my new 6 B.R Brux. barrel is at the machinist`s place and this barrel will get the treatment before i use it too on my switch barrel bench rifle. i have a new T.C. muzzle loader that i have not shot yet and that will get a DBC treatment also. if i have any left my Perazzi trap shotgun will get a treatment too ! > i think in the future many shooters will be using DBC.

Instead of extolling the virtues, why not tell the man how to fix his screw up. How do I get rid of this or fix it?
Murphy’s law reigns supreme.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok if I left some Wipe Out residue in the barrel, what do I do now?
Do I try to remove whatever DTBC is left in the barrel to re-apply, and if so, how do I go about that?

Cmon guys either help the guy out or treat him like pariah as you did me.
Ohh and you guys that apply without a shot fired can’t say one damn way or the other if it works or not, you gave away 50% of any usable data to support your claims that it did anything at all.
Also never seen a rifle up for sale on here or anywhere else that used DBC or Ultra bore coat as a selling point.

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Swifty,

Sorry you apparently didn't read or follow the directions that I've seen included in every batch of DBC, including the most recent. Also sorry that you're apparently the only person who so far hasn't experienced what every other shooter who's used the product experienced.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks John.

Did you read the directions that normally come with DBC? Or were they missing?

DBC installation has been discussed a LOT on the Campfire for around 15 years now.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Do I try to remove whatever DTBC is left in the barrel to re-apply, and if so, how do I go about that?

Ohh and you guys that apply without a shot fired can’t say one damn way or the other if it works or not, you gave away 50% of any usable data to support your claims that it did anything at all.
Also never seen a rifle up for sale on here or anywhere else that used DBC or Ultra bore coat as a selling point.

You'd be best off putting a sock in it and not continuing to prove what a stupidasss move you made.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swifty,

Sorry you apparently didn't read or follow the directions that I've seen included in every batch of DBC, including the most recent. Also sorry that you're apparently the only person who so far hasn't experienced what every other shooter who's used the product experienced.

Well holy sheep dip, after asking questions on here I followed manufacturers directions which haven’t been supported for almost 3 years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That’s the damn instructions you get. Web site for more info defunct. No mention of acetone no mention of diddly sh*t.
What fugging directions?

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Very interesting!

Dunno what happened--or if it matters.

I always totally degreased every bore before installing, with either rubbing alcohol or acetone--and believe I included that in my instructions, which they used for years.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My instructions with the DTBC did NOT say to use a degreaser. I guess my instructions were from an older batch which I purchased in 2020.
There are no instructions for the Dyna-Tek Gun Shield as there are on Swifty52’s, only for Dyna-Tek Bore Coat.
My instructions merely said to clean to “bare” metal then apply DTBC using 2”-4” strokes. Then it says to “pull back to the chamber in a single stroke. Repeat this process three times, leaving a very thin coat”. It also said to “gently shake the Bore Coat container to mix”.
I admit that I forgot that Wipe Out leaves a thin film of lubricant for bore protection as stated on the can.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks John.

DBC installation has been discussed a LOT on the Campfire for around 15 years now.

Thanks John.

Until just within the past few months, I haven’t spent the majority of my time on this forum like most everyone else.
The instructions also DID NOT SAY refer to 24 Hour Campfire’s “Ask the Gunwriters” forum for further instructions.

Last edited by SoTexCurdog; 02/21/22.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You'd be best off putting a sock in it and not continuing to prove what a stupidasss move you made.

JG, not sure who your post was directed at, but, if it was directed at me, there was not any instructions that a degreaser was needed.
Maybe “you” need to put a sock in it!!!

Last edited by SoTexCurdog; 02/21/22.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sorry to hear the directions have left out the degreasing step. Maybe they concluded it wasn't necessary.

But I always did it from when I first started experimenting with DBC around 2006--and wrote it into the instructions I wrote for installing it a couple years later.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very interesting!

Dunno what happened--or if it matters.

I always totally degreased every bore before installing, with either rubbing alcohol or acetone--and believe I included that in my instructions, which they used for years.

Did that, did notice in your previous posts stating you used a chambered case and fed the patch through the muzzle to catch the excess. This was not addressed in my instructions. Obviously.

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would be interested to hear from Jordan on this.

Do know that the company lost interest in DBC a few years ago, not because it didn't work, but because it was such a small part of their business. They still make it, but ;eave it up to Brownells and MidwayUSA to distribute. Or at least that's the last I heard.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Do you feel better now knowing that you have contributed nothing?

Swifty
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (257_X_50, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 1Longbow, 36 invisible), 3,086 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,619
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.