Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Would be interested to hear from Jordan on this.

Do know that the company lost interest in DBC a few years ago, not because it didn't work, but because it was such a small part of their business. They still make it, but ;eave it up to Brownells and MidwayUSA to distribute. Or at least that's the last I heard.

John, what I haven’t mentioned is that I had the same problem with the DTBC back in 2020 when I first bought the product from Midway. After communicating with you today, I figured it was my screwup back then just as it was today.
Anyway, (back in 2020)
I applied this same batch to a Krieger CM barrel in a 270 Win. Which is the second most copper fouling barrel that I have ever owned. I cleaned the barrel the same way until there was NO fouling what so ever in the barrel.
Checked it with Teslong to verify.
Followed this same instruction card and not even thinking about the lube left by Wipe Out, applied it the same way and cured it the same as per instructions. After firing 10 shots I cleaned the barrel and the result was the same as today, there was Copper fouling that took a “thorough cleaning to remove”, i.e. Wipe Out left over night. None of my other solvents would come close to touching it.
I called the Dyna-Tek phone number on the instruction card ( the day before July 4th) and talked to a someone there who talked like an engineer. It might have the owner for all I know. Told him what I did and the results I had.
At first he suggested that I didn’t let it cure long enough. I told him that I let the barrel sit for 6 hours. He then said that he thought that I may have had an old or even bad batch of the product. He took my name and address and said that he would send me another container of DTBC at no charge.
After almost 2 years, I am still waiting for that bottle to arrive.
Now, I do believe the product works AND it was more than likely my fault since I did not degrease the barrel, it makes sense.
But, the instructions do not say anything about degreasing nor did the gentleman I spoke with in 2020.
I do want to install it in a couple of my other lesser fouling barrels.
I just need some good honest guidance here on what to do after the fact.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What it sounds like to me, from what you describe, is the standard "somewhat" fouling found after the first curing shots. As I already said, would use a better decoppering solvent to get rid of the copper you describe (which doesn't sound like much) before shooting the rifle again. My guess (based on 15 years of experience with DBC) is that the bore will then foul even less, and that trend will continue the more you shoot the rifle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Instruction in photo above on DBC package say in bold: BARE STEEL.

This instruction implies BARE STEEL. IMO a reasonable user would understand this means a clean bore surface void of any contaminants.

I do use DBC and it does make cleaning of my rifles faster. Good product.

For a barrel that I treated in 2017 as I recall, several months ago I decided to to apply a second coat of DBC for no other reason than I wanted too.

I prepared that bore as I have with other bores using a good patch/brush with JB paste embedded in patch. Hoppes 9, Sweets, and CR10 to ensure bore was clean of any and all fouling.

Then a final cleaning 3 times using denatured alcohol. This was concluded with a dozen or so dry patches to ensure all the denatured alcohol was wiped out ensuring I had a dry clean bore. I believe that acetone would be great, rubbing alcohol too but be aware that rubbing alcohol has water in it. Be sure to use plenty of dry patches to ensure bore is dry.

I mounted the rifle in a vise with muzzle straight down. I applied the DBC using a bore mop extended past muzzle from chamber end. I hold bottle of DBC and dip bore mop into bottle, set bottle on rag below bbl muzzle. I draw bore mop toward chamber where mop is just visible into chamber neck. I use short stroking motions as mop is drawn towards chamber, then same as mop is pushed back out of muzzle. I repeat this 2 additional times.

I'll clean mop in denatured alcohol after DBC is applied to bbl bore. Paper towels and dispose of the contaminated denatured alcohol.

For those here who question if their application of DBC needs a reapplication, you could use the method I described above.

GOA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks John, I will stay the course.
What is concerning to me is that this level of fouling is occurring after only 9 shots over the bore coat.
Their own instructions say it shouldn’t take more than 10 patches of solvent to clean. I know for a fact that I used over 30 and didn’t make a dent in the copper fouling.
Anyway, thanks again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Following what JB said just above my post, I note that my bbls still get some copper fouling in them. Probably will never go away completely.

But my copper and powder fouling cleanouts are much faster than prior to DBC. Christ, I used to spend a good day getting all the fouling out of bbls.

With the DBC bbls it's now 12-18 patches using the Hoppes9, Sweets, and cr10 as described above. I aways finish cleaning with a wet Hoppes9 patch as I feel this helps to remove anything left behind from the CR10.

Then a couple dry patches, light oil on chamber, gun goes in locker. I always swab chamber before next shoot.

GOA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More on the clean up process please... "wipe excess liquid from the end of the bore & chamber"... With what?... A dry patch or paper towel, Or lightly wetted with a solvent like isopropyl alcohol (most contain water), acetone or hoppes #9 ect... And then "stand firearm upright, muzzle down on an absorbent towel, and allow it to dry for four [4] hours minimum"... Isn't that stuff going to dry on the muzzle crown also?... will it stain the bluing?... How do i remove it (if necessary) without screwing up the bluing?... Any issues cleaning my bore guide & coated cleaning rod?... Thank's in advance for any input on this!...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Loco, I dabbed the muzzle with a paper towel. No DBC staining I noted.

Since I use a coated cleaning rod for .17 cal rifles I use no bore guide as gun is vertical in vise and push dry mop down bore out muzzle before dipping mop in DBC.

When done with application of DBC I remove mop from rod, withdraw rod from bbl.

I wipe the coated rod with denatured alcohol on paper towel to clean.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would be interested to hear from Jordan on this.

Do know that the company lost interest in DBC a few years ago, not because it didn't work, but because it was such a small part of their business. They still make it, but ;eave it up to Brownells and MidwayUSA to distribute. Or at least that's the last I heard.

That's my understanding, as well. A couple of years ago I tried to contact the creator of DBC, Doug Burche, without success. I wondered if he had sold the product or business to new owners. Doug was always very responsive to communication attempts, so after reading about Swifty's experience I assumed that my inkling about Doug selling may have been correct. I still don't know the whole story, but my current understanding about the state of the company is as you described, John.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank's TooDogs; Looks like us SE Wi guys are some thorough SOB's... lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
What is concerning to me is that this level of fouling is occurring after only 9 shots over the bore coat.
Their own instructions say it shouldn’t take more than 10 patches of solvent to clean. I know for a fact that I used over 30 and didn’t make a dent in the copper fouling.
Anyway, thanks again.

DBC is a silica particulate suspended in a glue-like carrier liquid. This carrier liquid seems to attract and hold significant powder and copper fouling. The cleaning after the 8-10 curing shots nearly always produces a lot more fouling than one would expect to see after 10 shots, but after that cleaning the bore fouls significantly less (less and less with each successive cleaning, in fact).

DBC is clear and easy to clean up, whether wet or dry, as long as it hasn't been cured by the heat and pressure that shooting bullets down the bore provides.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like this stuff simply fills in the low spots (voids) in the bore... Making it smoother, Which means less fouling and easier cleaning...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just read and follow the DBC easy directions with no short cuts works just fine for me on my rifles. if you have problems with DBC you did not clean your rifle barrel very well and that might create a problem?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
Anyway, thanks again.

DBC is a silica particulate suspended in a glue-like carrier liquid. This carrier liquid seems to attract and hold significant powder and copper fouling. The cleaning after the 8-10 curing shots nearly always produces a lot more fouling than one would expect to see after 10 shots, but after that cleaning the bore fouls significantly less (less and less with each successive cleaning, in fact).

DBC is clear and easy to clean up, whether wet or dry, as long as it hasn't been cured by the heat and pressure that shooting bullets down the bore provides.

Thanks for the info Jordan.
As said, I will stay the course.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have stopped using anything but quality nylon brushes and no longer get "false positives" for copper on my patches or find myself chasin' the blues smile Oh yeah, I've been using DBC for years so count me as a happy customer.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 02/22/22.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just fired eight DBC 'conditioners' today in my 17-223. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

Will be very interested in your results.

May have mentioned this before, but several years ago I bought an early Remington 700 BDL .17 Remington, which had a bore in fine shape. Partly I wanted to see if the original stories about how badly the cartridge fouled barrels were true--and in this barrel they weren't, at least with modern spherical powders that burn cleaner. The rifle would go 100+ rounds on prairie dog towns before accuracy started going. After I DBC'd it, it would go twice that long without cleaning.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Al, Will be very interested in your results.

May have mentioned this before, but several years ago I bought an early Remington 700 BDL .17 Remington, which had a bore in fine shape. Partly I wanted to see if the original stories about how badly the cartridge fouled barrels were true--and in this barrel they weren't, at least with modern spherical powders that burn cleaner. The rifle would go 100+ rounds on prairie dog towns before accuracy started going. After I DBC'd it, it would go twice that long without cleaning. John

John, when I was hunting fox hard, I had 4 different .17 Remingtons and a .17 Javelina. Barrels were Shilens (2), a PacNor and a Lilja. My first .17 Remington was a factory 700 with the sporter barrel (all they had at the time). Even with the factory barrel, I never saw any of the Urban Legend stuff with fouling and cleaning requirements. WW760 and AA2700 powders were easy on the throats for carbon.

This 17-223 is a bit of an orphan project that found it's way to me after languishing for over 25 years. wink It's a heavy stainless barrel (maker unknown) on an early '64 XP100 action. It came with no dies, brass or barrel markings so it's been a bit of an adventure to figure out exactly what it is. I pillar bedded it into an old 'slave' BR stock to see if the barrel has anything to show me. The barrel looks good by bore scope and my pal Randy Robinett (BIB Bullets) freshened up the crown when I was at his place a few days ago. It's either a 'long neck' 17-223 or a shortened .17 Remington...depends how you look at it. grin

Having had good luck with DBC in a 25-06 Savage 112J, it won't hurt to give this .17 the treatment and see what happens. Am also finishing a light 243W and DBC'd that one as well but haven't got it out yet as I'm just finishing the pillar bedding on it.

Will keep you informed of the progress.

Good shootin' -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

Thanks for the report on the Urban Legends stuff. Which explains what I experienced even with a factory 700 barrel!

John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, after the 8 conditioner rounds, I ran a half dozen patches with Butch's down the barrel until the powder residue cleared up, a couple of dry ones and finished with another sloppy wet one.

It's soaking now...will let you know. smile

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About what I'd expected, John. Hopefully the weather will settle down in a couple weeks and I'll be able to do an extended range session and load development with it to get a better idea. Not having any history with this barrel prior to it coming to roost here, it won't be a true A-B test...we'll see what it likes.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, Amos63, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 17 invisible), 1,082 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.