Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Any idea what this is?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Exhaust brake indicator lamp Exhaust brake activated

The exhaust brake enhances engine braking. Use it as an auxiliary braking means on downhill stretches or during high-speed driving. NOTE:

• Do not keep the exhaust brake switch in the activation position at all times. Keeping the switch in the activation position worsens fuel consumption, as doing so causes the exhaust brake to work frequently and thus the vehicle to decelerate and accelerate frequently. Save fuel by using the exhaust brake switch appropriately according to road and traffic condi- tions.

• The exhaust brake is activated when the auto- matic DPF regeneration takes place during parking. The indicator, however, is not illu- minated.

• Activation and deactivation of exhaust brake. Pushing the lever forward activates the exhaust brake. While the exhaust brake is activated, the indicator lamp stays illuminated. (1) Deactivated (2) Activated

The exhaust brake will be temporarily disabled in the following conditions. Full functionality will be returned when the original conditions have been restored. • The accelerator pedal is depressed.

• The gearshift lever is moved to “N”.

• The ABS is operating.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA
Any idea what this is?

The exhaust brake enhances engine braking. Use it as an auxiliary braking means on downhill stretches or during high-speed driving. NOTE:

• Do not keep the exhaust brake switch in the activation position at all times. Keeping the switch in the activation position worsens fuel consumption, as doing so causes the exhaust brake to work frequently and thus the vehicle to decelerate and accelerate frequently. Save fuel by using the exhaust brake switch appropriately according to road and traffic condi- tions.

• The exhaust brake is activated when the auto- matic DPF regeneration takes place during parking. The indicator, however, is not illu- minated.

• Activation and deactivation of exhaust brake. Pushing the lever forward activates the exhaust brake. While the exhaust brake is activated, the indicator lamp stays illuminated. (1) Deactivated (2) Activated

The exhaust brake will be temporarily disabled in the following conditions. Full functionality will be returned when the original conditions have been restored. • The accelerator pedal is depressed.

• The ABS is operating.

Would a 2008 year model have a DPF?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Any idea what this is?

• The ABS is operating.

Came into existence in 07, standard in 09 but showed up before 09 on some vehicles.

Very likely it could have it as an 08

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Teal

What's your anticipated use?

Drag her ass up and down this mountain and then resell...

Trailers won't make the water bars

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Any idea what this is?

• The ABS is operating.

Good stuff to know... DPF and a potentially faulty exhaust brake didn't even occur to me.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/13/22. Reason: DPF typo

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
DPF and DEF are separate things.

Diesel Particulate Filter

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (introduced in 2010)

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Teal
DPF and DEF are separate things.

Diesel Particulate Filter

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (introduced in 2010)

Copy... I made a typo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No worries. They're close and can be confusing. Wanted to make sure...

Me

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Maybe call action tech service line tomorrow. See if that truck is in their library.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had to read up on exhaust brakes. I've known about jake brakes since forever but had never even heard of these things. Now the symbology makes some sense.

A fellow can learn something every day around here.

Maybe that problem won't be too expensive to fix.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The diesel particulate filter may be clogged. It happens with DPF's that have been in use for years.

I know my tractor that has one, it can be an expensive fix. Rather than buy and install a new DPF, there are some places that can clean and rejuvenate the existing one.

Still a PITA to deal with.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Had to read up on exhaust brakes. I've known about jake brakes since forever but had never even heard of these things. Now the symbology makes some sense.

A fellow can learn something every day around here.

Maybe that problem won't be too expensive to fix.

That really is the nature of this site...

Good decent men (95% wise) that are not afraid to not know something and ask fair and reasonable questions.

There are a ton of things I don't know about... some I do.

Hell... this is MY TRUCK... and I am learning a bunch about it from people that have never even seen it.

Like anything with 170k miles and 16 years old... there will be sideways stuff... and like most things... .GOV has had a hand in it.

Still open to learn more if folks have ever messed with this DPF stuff and Jake brake stuff. Happy to pay if anyone in the zone Gloucester, VA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a few minutes and poked around a little but couldn't find a complete wiring diagram. I don't know what your skill level is but going at this as a complete hillbilly trying to fix his own stuff sitting on the side of a hill, this is what I would do.

1) Read the manual until you understand how the exhaust brake system works and make sure it is turned off.

2) Climb under the truck and make sure the exhaust brake is free and not froze up.

3) Pull the exhaust brake fuse and see if the problem goes away. It's a $5,000.00 truck, it might be easier to drive around the problem than fix it.

That's how I would start if I was in your position.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cash;
Good afternoon to you my friend, I hope the day's behaving for you all out in your part of Virginia.

While I wish I could be of assistance on your particular vehicular vexation, I cannot.

I will say I agree with your assessment of the 'Fire here wholeheartedly however.

Also, I can say that the DPF cleaning cycle on our '08 F450 gave me no end of fits because we only used it in town for months and the thing could only run it's purge/clean cycle at 50mph/80kph or above. Didn't make for a happy engine. Besides that we never really warmed it up enough either just doing short hops around town.

Oh, I recall one morning there was a Hino about the size of your Mitsubishi parked in our yard - storage business and construction company - so when I approached the rig the south Asian driver informed me he had a tow truck coming as it needed to go an hour north, which was the closest shop that could plug into a Hino. He'd tried all the local shops I named in our small city and said they'd all said that it had to be a shop with whatever Hino programming his rig had.

I just forget now what died on it, but it had allowed him to limp off the highway, but then wouldn't fire up afterward.

Good luck with the fix sir, I hope it's something simple.

All the best and God bless.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Did you try a parked regeneration? There should be a switch on the dashboard for that. Need to bring the engine up to temp for it to work.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by luvrifles
Did you try a parked regeneration? There should be a switch on the dashboard for that. Need to bring the engine up to temp for it to work.

Been reading about that now... and the engine brake button on the steering column arm.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Everyone that states it is the exhaust brake indicator is correct. I broke down the vin and it a 12 volt system as it is a North American truck. The batteries are wired in parallel 12 volt, not series 24 volt. Being a 2008 it had a dpf from the factory. With the check engine light on it is unlikely it will even attempt a manual regen. Just about any codes inhibit regens. Check the exhaust for soot. If there is any soot in the exhaust things may get ugly quick as the dpf is breached. Without some sort of codes it is any body’s guess as to what the issue is. It can be related to dpf, egr, fuel system , and base engine controls. We still have active software even though we are not a dealer. I f you can find someone with a J pro scanner , or laptop with J pro, it will read it. This is what our service writers use to do an initial scan on a truck. Your manual should tell you how to get blink codes from the ecu as a last resort. If you can get any type of code I should be able to look it up for you.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Leonard,

I have a Autel MaxiDiag MD805 diagnostic tool that I can put in the mail for you. I will cover you vehicle and gives some more functionality than a standard OBD II reader. Just mail it back when you are done with it. Let me know…

Semper Fi

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Also, I can say that the DPF cleaning cycle on our '08 F450 gave me no end of fits because we only used it in town for months and the thing could only run it's purge/clean cycle at 50mph/80kph or above. Didn't make for a happy engine. Besides that we never really warmed it up enough either just doing short hops around town.

Dwayne

Yeah, anything equipped with a DPF doesn't do well on stop and go, short run-time operation.

My F350 is usually used for several miles at highway speeds, and re-gens pretty well. (It is probably the main reason diesels don't get the good MPG's they used to. When it's regening, the MPG's plummet.)

My tractor that has a DPF gets used at high RPM's and very rarely any light duty, or short job type work. It re-gens well. Get's hottern' a two dollar pistol on the exhaust system when it does a re-gen.

If I have short work, like putting out bales of hay, or moving something, I use the tractor that doesn't have a DPF.

If you have a diesel with a DPF run the hell out of it! laugh

Hope things are well with you up there!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 16gage, 58 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,644
Posts18,512,455
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.