-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 1,842 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 1841 1842
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To all the new comers...Welcome to The Fire.

Dave...I'm diggin' this thread and your enthusiasm. May you and yours have many years of fond memories there.

Wayne

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The mexicans down here mix used oil with diesel to finish there wood houses and fences. You get a different color with all of the oils but transmission fluid gives the best color as it leaves the wood stained. The fences most all have this mixture instead of a store brought water seal. And I know for a fact that some even use gasoline for there thinner. One guy buys new transmission fluid for his fence and even finishes outdoor furniture with the stuff. He just wipes it on like tru oil and it gets shiney. But it is cheap and effective.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Good mornin all!!!
I drove to work in the daylight today, felt like a human.

I had a hard time staying on the road with all this light though, eyes were on the fields, lookin for coyotes & fox.

As far as the siding, cabarillo is a little closer to what you need than the thompsons type of seal wabo mantioned, you definately need an oil. I actually bought some stuff in 5 gallon cans, I suppose it's something on the lines of a true oil, or tungue oil linseed, probably has linseed & tongue in it. It penetrates & sort of varnished but never gets to a varnish state where it can become brittle & flake.

I've used used oil on wooden trailer decks, it does work well.

Everybody that tossed out kind words for "the boy" with recent congratulations & other comments, he's got the message because I guess he stayed up late last night & read this entire thread.

What up boy? smile

I gave his mom the link when I asked if it was ok to post his hunting pictures & I guess she thought he'd get a kick out of reading.

Well, I got a ton of work to do beings I came in late.

better get after it.

Dave

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Cabarillo
The mexicans down here mix used oil with diesel to finish there wood houses and fences. You get a different color with all of the oils but transmission fluid gives the best color as it leaves the wood stained. The fences most all have this mixture instead of a store brought water seal. And I know for a fact that some even use gasoline for there thinner. One guy buys new transmission fluid for his fence and even finishes outdoor furniture with the stuff. He just wipes it on like tru oil and it gets shiney. But it is cheap and effective.

Man! I hope they have good fire alarms! shocked

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A very good product for treating that siding is called Penofin. It is a very thin oil, just for that purpose. Use it on our cabin in CO and it seems to hold up well.

LOL about the shot of the young lad cleaning the deer. Somewhere I have a pic of a deer I killed with my 3 kids helping. They each had a hold of a leg and the daughter (youngest) was only 5 or 6 at the time. Seems like it was the next fall, the ex BIL called to see if I would come show them how to clean a deer that had been hit on the road. I was at work, but the oldest (about 12 at the time) said come get him he would show them. Told the wife where the knife was and the BIL came and got my son. The kid had darn sure been paying attention that day they had a hold of my deers leg. The BIL said is was kinda funny, said they thought they was gonna have to strap a 2X4 to the kids butt to keep him from crawling clear inside the deer. Here the BIL and the guy that was gonna take the meat were in their mid 20's and all they could do was do as the son told them.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that's a funny story.

Penofin, I'll have to look for that in case I need to re-coat next year.

hey, I can't help myself, gotta show one more pic of the boy.

[Linked Image]

rooster, I'll take you up on that phesant hunt as soon as I get some time.

Time to go home & be Mr Mom.

Mama's outa town for a couple days.

I thought it would be fine to let my youngest boy (3) sleep with me last night.

I was wrong.

He kicked me in the back all night, then he pissed the bed....

my bed, the one I was sleeping in... sick

So, I'm really gunning for some sleep tonight.

later,

Dave

Something clever here.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice buck!

Scott

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for all the information guys! I do really appreciate it, WOW a warm welcome and wealth of information at the campfire... Whoo'd of thunk it... smirk

Hey Boy, I MEAN MAN that is a Dandy buck and a Great Job. Just had to say it again! Keep this story going by whackin some more and make sure your buddy Dave keeps the info coming to as that camp progresses ok.. For MANY Reasons, make no mistake that some will still call you boy, yet know in your heart and mind that you are a MAN. You also have as you know the Greatest thing a guy in your age and position could have, that is someone like Dave. I know you already are but thought I'd tell ya, make sure and pay attention to what he says and cheerish his friendship ALWAY'S! You'll be Glad you did later in life because friends like Dave is trying to be to you are One in a Gazillion or so... By the way did I say Nice job on the buck!?!!!! wink

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey all, I'm a fun & games sort nearly all of the time as that's how I prefer to be, but every now & then, serious dave has to drop in.

This thread is huge & I love the support & all the tips & suggestions... but there is one little detail I have to clear up.

I'm feeling a little bad about all the pat on the back stuff coming my way. it's appreciated & very kind, I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstood or misrepresenting my role.

I'm just one of many in a group of people that are towing a line, pulling for healed hearts & trying to define a direction for which we move forward.

This is all going to take a very long time of course.

The portion I am fortunate enough to offer help with (which this thread primarily focuses on) is the whole deer camp thing.

Deer camp is just a small part of continuing forward with life.

But for a boy like me, and a man like "the boy" , I think it's a pretty important part of continuing forward with life.

I think of it this way, a thousand piece jigsaw puzzle has just been spilled out. Many of us have to put it together. So far I've picked up one piece, I look at it & I'm pleased to see that it's a hunting piece. I haven't fit it into place yet but I am holding the piece, & I feel confident with it.

Dave

Something clever here.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well stated, Dave.

Scott

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

It's All Good Man... Now how about some more pics of deer being taken.. wink

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That wab'ster my man will be a group effort. I really look forward to being able to do so!!

wink

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave, Don't underestimate what you are doing for that young man. Time at the hunting or fishing camp can teach a person a lot of things. One of them is usually how to be a better man. You learn a lot of things there. Some are not to be used anywhere but camp, but that is the part he needs to figure out, of course with guidance from you and others in this case. The non hunters and non deer camp visitors think we all sit around and drink and fart all day. Which we do somedays...but there are alway days where we discuss the important things in life, talk about love, hate, politics, religion and the such. Hell sometime we even hunt.

My point is you are doing somting great and you should be applauded for it. The fact that you are so humble about it proves that as a man you are doing a great thing.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T-111 is very common here in Oregon; it's a good product. Not like some of those manmade sheeting materials that turned out to grow mushrooms!

I've got it on a couple buildings on my property. It has a cedar face. Just seal it up and it'll last for a loooong time.

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_Olsen; 10/04/07.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've favored T-111 for quite a long time now for more than one reason. It is a good product like you said Jeff, I don't trust the hardboard look alike versions myself. There is a hardboard version that has a back that basically looks like what we used to call "bufalo board" like dark pressed sawdust, that would be at the bottom of my list, next up might be the wafer board variety I have seen in recent years, back looks like OSB, front has the pressed look of the wood grain & the cut grooves, also primed on the "A" side with a heavy film build primer, often said to have somewhere around a 30 year warranty against rot/decay. that would be second to last choice, for one, it's thinner board typically, plus with the primed surface you do not have the option to go with a clear or clear/died oil finish & show off the wood grain look, plus, it's OSB.

there is a fiber cement board offering that probably is very resistant to time & elements, but, again it's a primed fiber cement, no way to get that woodsy cabin look I want.

the old fashioned plywood T-111 in 5/8" thickness has been around for a long time & has earned my trust, plus it's a low buck way to get a cool semi rustick woodsy look when oil stained.

It has cost advantages over typical const sheeting + siding. It has speed advantages for the do it yourselfer because your sheeting is your siding, 2 birds with one stone. Plus the grooves fall in increments of 4, 8 or 12 inches on center, buyers choice. This allows the builder to sink the nails in the grooves to fasten to either 16" or 24" stud centers. If you start out sheeting correctly from your corner & locate your studs correctly you can simply count grooves to locate studs when sheeting, no measuring or marking necessary.

It's got a lot of things going for it, that's why I chose it for this project.

Can't wait to get it stained & post pics afterwards.

Dave

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The quickness factor counts alot with T-111. I agree if you are looking for a rustic look too...it works and it is cheaper than log of 1/2 log siding.

Are you doing anything for security purposes...ie covers over windows and doors when not at the shack? If you are I'm corious to hear what they are.

Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N

There are so many ways to look at that topic.

each individual set up is unique by location, ease of access to the property etc.

Ours is in a remote area were it is less likely to become a party shack for kids. we have no neighboring cabins within earshot, so if someone were to enter the property with intent to gain entry of the cabin for what ever reason, they could do so with little concern for noise or time spent gaining entry.

In our case I believe I could bar the windows, secure the doors with super strong hinges & locks & if someone wanted to be on the inside bad enough, they could make there own entrance with a chainsaw in about a minute or 2. Or, they could hook a 4 wheeler or truck to the window bar frame with a chain & rip a bar frame loose.

So, in my particular case I have been & probably will be leaving the doors unlocked.

In our shack out on the range which is also not very accessable, (only by foot or 4 wheeler actually) we leave the door unlocked & there is a logbook on the table. Top page reads something to the effect of a greeting to visitors with the message being more of an invitation for a lost or cold hunter to take shelter & warm themselves & instructing them to some non perishable foods if they need, reference to maps within the cabin to help them find there way if they are lost & an invitation to leave an entry in the log book.

Over the years I believe we have had a couple of "stranger" entries in that log book but nothing stolen or vandalized.

That is what I intend on trying with our new shack, & I really hope it works.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
i actually like that idea. I was bird hunting near cotton last year and walked up to shack about a mile down a trail. I can't imagine you could drive a truck to but who knows. The door was unlocked....and courisity killed the cat...i went in. There were a few magazines on the table and a few cans of beans on the counter but it was clear no one had been there for awhile. I closed the door on my way out and thought it was pretty cool place. Theft or vandalisim never crossed my mind...but a group of kids, of adults for that matter.

Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yeah, I guess it's just a risk that you have to deal with if you want a shack or cabin away from home.

I figure hope for the best & make it easy to gain entry to hopefully minimize any damage.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
yeah, I guess it's just a risk that you have to deal with if you want a shack or cabin away from home.

I figure hope for the best & make it easy to gain entry to hopefully minimize any damage.

Just like with a fish house. Locked Doors usually means destroyed doors. Take anything of value home with you. I actually do both with the fish house and then leave the curtains open on all the windows so would be vandals/thieves can see there is nothing worth taking in there. My uncle however has not locked his fish house in about 5 years. He got tired of patching or replacing the door 2 - 3 times per winter.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 11 of 1,842 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.