Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by KineticPerformance
I need a scope that tops out at 10x and the few I'm considering are:

1. S&B PM II 10x42mm (probably used): good glass, shortish and light, good FOV, but backwards elevation with simple MRAD reticles. I generally am not a huge S&B PM II fan (used 4-16x and 5-25x and don't love them) but this scope has a very good reputation.

2. NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm: short, light, adjustable parallax and illum, but SFP and only has MIL-R. I like that I can lock the diopter. I have had both the smaller objective models and regret selling them. I wouldn't even be making this post if I still had the 32mm. If it were FFP with a tree I also wouldn't be asking about anything else. I'm admittedly a NF fan.

3. EOTech Vudu 2.5-10x44mm: same size and weight as my NX8 4-32x (so it's really too big for a 10x) but is on the list because I can get it with H59 reticle. I know some don't like the reticle and I don't care, I do like it. I care what you think of the scope in general because I've not seen one.

4. SWFA SS HD 3-9x42mm: short, light, and generally held as a lot of scope for the money. I've used various SS models here and there and I like the Mil-Quad. They always track but I've never been blown away by the glass in the classic line. That said, I've never used their HD line except a 5-25x I tested for a friend.

If you have experience with these, good or bad, I'm all ears. Better yet would be if you have used two or more and can compare them. I like FFP but it isn't a deal breaker or the NF wouldn't be on the table. I don't require a tree but if the Vudu is a good scope the H59 could seal the deal for me. I don't care about illuminated reticles. I need a mid range optic for a .233 gasser that has good glass, good depth of focus, tracks since I may dial it, and is easy to get behind. I don't really care about the low end mag as I only use it to get on target then I mag in. It's going to have a RDS for anything close and fast.

What's up for discussion is up top; I'm not getting a Burris/Vortex/Athlon/etc 2.5-10x. I've had and like some Trijicon but not sold on the Credo (but might consider a compelling argument because I can get a tree) and I'm not getting any 1-10x. It also can't be something over 10x.

Don’t leave out the SWFA 10x HD.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would take a look at the SWFA SS 10x42. Its also offered in a side focus for $100 more. You dont stand to lose much if you are not happy with the $300 10x42. If i had one major complaint it would be the windage turret is rather long.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html?___SID=U

The HD model is more than twice the price and back ordered until who knows when.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I've considered the SS HD 10x42mm but I don't usually go into backordering $500 scopes when I'm at the cutoff for ordering a NF to have it in time.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’d go SS 3-9x or 10x, depending on how exactly you’ll use it. I also really like the Trijicon Accupower/Credo 1-8x, which could replace the RDS, as well, but again I’m not sure exactly how the scope will be used so it’s tough to give a good recommendation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any opinion on the trijicon credo hx 2.5x10x56?

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I’d go SS 3-9x or 10x, depending on how exactly you’ll use it. I also really like the Trijicon Accupower/Credo 1-8x, which could replace the RDS, as well, but again I’m not sure exactly how the scope will be used so it’s tough to give a good recommendation.

It'll be used for shooting anything, day or night, from 100-700m. It is more important to me that it performs at the high end than the low end because I'll shoot a RDS or laser for close stuff. It'll maintain a RDS regardless for shooting under tubes. I would prefer a FFP variable because I may need to be a little under 10x with a clip-on but can live with a fixed 10x or SFP; they are what I started on, not ideal but workable. At this point I'm inclined to go with the SS or Vudu (I'll get hands on one this weekend). Ultimately, like I said before, I am looking for a scope with good glass, good depth of focus, and mechanically sound.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did consider a SFP 10x: the NXS is SFP. As stated above, the rules of the match stipulate 10x. I know the rules, I shoot a lot and understand what I need, I need some experience based evaluations of optics that meet my needs.

What kind of matches you shooting?? NRA high power? PRS?

Last edited by 79S; 05/03/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a 6x SWFA my daughter held her own in a 1000yd match last year shooting a AR platform with the F class guys (nightforce scopes, 2-3k dollar rifles) I also run 10x swfa as well on our midrange setups. No issues whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The SS 3-9 actually has pretty decent glass. I like te glass on the 3-9 much better than the 10x but you do give up parallax which is a no go fir some set ups. Also I've toasted I think 5 or 6 of the SS 3-9 models over the last dozen years and I've never broke a fixed 6 or fixed 10.

The SS fixed 6 is my favorite as far as the fixed ones go. I've got some 10x models but I just don't love them. I was just looking at my 6.5 grendel last night to figure out what scope to put on it when I take the 10x off. The 3-9 ss has been on backorder forever. I've been waiting for 1 replacement for over a year and just sent another in for repair last month.

I need to find me a new favorite sub $1000 scope. I've given up finding anymore bushnell 3-12 LRHS models and need something similar. I put one of those athelon 2-12s on my 22 Creedmoor and it's decent. Glass could be a bit better and I'd prefer a slightly finer dot but it's got most things right feature wise and is sized right. I just put one of their tac 4-16 models on a 300 win that I need to get out and shoot but it seems decent so far too.

Bb

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Whats breaking on the SS 3-9x?

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 79S
I did consider a SFP 10x: the NXS is SFP. As stated above, the rules of the match stipulate 10x. I know the rules, I shoot a lot and understand what I need, I need some experience based evaluations of optics that meet my needs.

What kind of matches you shooting?? NRA high power? PRS?

I will use it for various field matches where I have to shoot a .223 carbine and am limited to 10x on the scope. I generally use an ATACR 7-35x for PRS, Mammoth, SUC, RWSC, etc

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 79S
Get a 6x SWFA my daughter held her own in a 1000yd match last year shooting a AR platform with the F class guys (nightforce scopes, 2-3k dollar rifles) I also run 10x swfa as well on our midrange setups. No issues whatsoever.

I have one that I use for some hunting and used on a rimfire trainer for 100-300yds for years. It's a decent scope but not enough mag for me to feel good about PID or milling and shooting.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am not sure what match your are shooting, but as much as I like the PMII, lack of parallax might be an issue, depending on what exactly the match is.

The most full featured fixed 10x on the market is probably US Optics FDN FX10. US Optics has gone through some changes in recent years, but since things have stabilized a bit after the move and ownership change I have been very happy with their products. On balance, it is probably the best fixed power 10x on the market, but you pay for that. It is not cheap.

I have the SWFA SS 10x42HD. Mine is from the very first batch they made with the Mil-Quad and given how many scopes go through my hands, it probably says something that this one is still here for all these years.

Then there is SWFA SS Classic 10x42 with Side Focus that is probably the best bang for the buck of all of these, but you did say you are looking at something higher end.

With variables that top out at 10x, Nightforce is a really nice package and if you can swing it, there isn't much out there that's better except, perhaps, for the even more expensive US Optics FDN 1.8-10x42. It is going through a bit of a re-design, after which I'll pick one up.

Aside from that, there really isn't much that tops out at 10x and has an exposed turret (assuming that is what you need) aside from the 2-10x36 and 2.5-10x56 Trijicon Credo.

If it was my money, and looking at what is actually in stock, I'd probably be tempted to either go all the way and pick up a fixed power US Optics, or the 2-10x36 Trijicon Credo as the likely best bang for the buck among the variables or the SWFA Classic 10x42 as the best bang for the buck among the fixed power options.

ILya

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The dark lord has spoken^^^

I will add Unertl/USO 10x to the mix. Coarse adjustment, semi fixed parallax, tough and amazing optics.

Second hand market only now.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have a friend with the USO and he really liked it last time I ran into him carrying it. I had forgotten about it too be honest. I can get it with the H425 also.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a friend with the USO and he really liked it last time I ran into him carrying it. I had forgotten about it too be honest. I can get it with the H425 also.

That's exactly what I have: FX10 with H425. It is the only Horus reticle I kinda like.

ILya

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by mud_bogger

I would like to know this as well

Speak life
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
SWFA SS 10x w/side focus on my Bergara B14R is the cats azz for 300-400 yard iron fun.

My first foray into dialing at longer distances and this scope has exceeded all expectations.

Having a fixed power instead of variable is perfect for me in this application because it's one less thing to deal with and WIND is the only thing you should be worried about when shooting rimfire this far!

Good luck, hope this helps.

BBQ

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Grady8541
Originally Posted by mud_bogger

I would like to know this as well

I've had 2 of them that the windage knob stopped going in one direction for the most part. It would dial plenty say to the right but barely go left of center. Neither started that way so something internal must of went out. The others all started to move around and not hold zero. Approximately 1/2 moa rifles all the sudden became 2-3 moa shooters.

My fieldcraft 7-08 with the 18" barrel has killed 2 different SS 3-9 scopes in the last year and a half or so. It's also killed a vx-3 3.5-10 and a vortex razor hd lh.

Bb

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Anyone have the USO FDN 10X ?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.