Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I recently picked up a tikka boar hunter in 338 win mag. I found a deal on it that I couldn’t pass up. I’m not a huge fan of the t3 synthetic stock and would like to replace it with something better.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the B&C Medalist. And would like to stay with a tradition low profile stock to keep the iron sights usable.

What are you all using on your T3s?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Years ago my brother bought me a B&C Medalist for one of my T3s, so I swapped out the factory stock. It didn’t shoot or handle any better. It’s the only Tikka I have not in the factory stock.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Years ago my brother bought me a B&C Medalist for one of my T3x, so I swapped out the factory stock. It didn’t shoot or handle any better. It’s the only Tikka I have not in the factory stock.

P

I like the simplicity of the factory stock. It just works without a lot of fuss. Some guys complain that they don't fit them well or have poor ergo's, but I find just the opposite to be true. To each their own. I do have one B&C on my new 22-250 and I like the stock, but its much heavier than the factory stock. For the kind of shooting I want to do with the rifle, that is a good thing..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beretzs is one that doesn't like the factory stock. However, he replaced that stock with a fine looking Mcmillan and still ended up selling the rifle and Mcmillan?? I believe he did say he likes the CTR stock though:

Similar to the varmint style stock that I really like. What I recently did to one of my favorite rifles is change it up with a newer Tikka T3x stock that is slightly textured. I really like the different color:

This picture doesn't really do the rifle or stock justice though. It actually looks and feels great.. It was a "new" take off that I purchased on ebay for $79 a couple weeks ago. I'd probably go that route if I were the OP..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Edit T3, not T3x

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Years ago my brother bought me a B&C Medalist for one of my T3x, so I swapped out the factory stock. It didn’t shoot or handle any better. It’s the only Tikka I have not in the factory stock.

P

I like the simplicity of the factory stock. It just works without a lot of fuss. Some guys complain that they don't fit them well or have poor ergo's, but I find just the opposite to be true. To each their own. I do have one B&C on my new 22-250 and I like the stock, but its much heavier than the factory stock. For the kind of shooting I want to do with the rifle, that is a good thing..

Beretzs is one that doesn't like the factory stock. However, he replaced that stock with a fine looking Mcmillan and still ended up selling the rifle and Mcmillan?? I believe he did say he likes the CTR stock though:

Similar to the varmint style stock that I really like. What I recently did to one of my favorite rifles is change it up with a newer Tikka T3x stock that is slightly textured. I really like the different color:

This picture doesn't really do the rifle or stock justice though. It actually looks and feels great.. It was a "new" take off that I purchased on ebay for $79 a couple weeks ago. I'd probably go that route if I were the OP..

Shoot, I restocked 3 with the same Sako Classics..

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Tikkas are great rifles, I just like Model 70 and similar for hunting.

I do like my CTR 223 though. Great shooting gun and fun as hell to burn gunpowder.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than the B&C, there's AG Composites Privateer and Alpine Hunter, which must be ordered thru a dealer and is a 16 week wait - give or take, and the Mesa Precision Arms Attitude The MPAs are a vertical grip stock. They take 6-8 weeks to arrive, given my experience.

A couple of us here have got our hands on the AG Privateer stock. Nice stock, but in my case, the jury is still out. Had/have some issues with the inlet and the use of aftermarket bottom metal that I haven't quite ironed out.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

P

Shoot, I restocked 3 with the same Sako Classics..

Tikkas are great rifles, I just like Model 70 and similar for hunting.

I do like my CTR 223 though. Great shooting gun and fun as hell to burn gunpowder.

Very nice rifles Scotty. I like my model 70's as well, but haven't found any flies on the Tikka for a straight up great hunting rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
IMO changing to a B&C is a lateral move. No better, no worse, but the B&C is about 1/2 lb heavier and will empty your wallet by a little over $300. For what I do I'd much rather just use the factory stock. They are one of, if not the best plastic stocks out there.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JMR40
IMO changing to a B&C is a lateral move. No better, no worse, but the B&C is about 1/2 lb heavier and will empty your wallet by a little over $300. For what I do I'd much rather just use the factory stock. They are one of, if not the best plastic stocks out there.

Well said.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
How does the integrated recoil lug in the B&C stock work out. Does it work better than the two piece recoil lug setup in the tikka stock?

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Manners just came out with some exclusive T3 stocks, check them out.

Manners Hunting Stocks

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
How does the integrated recoil lug in the B&C stock work out. Does it work better than the two piece recoil lug setup in the tikka stock?

Help me understand what you mean when you say two piece recoil lug setup?

My Tikkas only have one recoil lug, they fit into a tight slot in the stock. They are removable.

The B&C stock has the recoil lug molded into the stock. Not removable.

The rifle didn’t shoot any better after swapping the stock to the B&C. I shot it quite a bit before the swap.

Didn’t shoot any worse, either, but if you’re wanting to make a switch for the potential of better shooting, look elsewhere.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen

The B&C stock I have has the aluminum bedding block. The integrated recoil lug is not much different than the factory removable recoil lug of the T3/T3x. Except the integrated lug is set to a desired height. I have used my stock on 2 different rifles in the last month. It has worked out great for both rifles. Accuracy/precision is great and consistent. I actually skim bedded my stock/action for slightly better accuracy. Probably not as necessary on the B&C as it is with the factory stock. A lot of guys don't believe in glass bedding the Tikka stock, but it does help for maintaining tighter groups when you are shooting more shots per group. B&C:

Factory CTR after glass bedding:

They look similar in the pics. What I like to do is glass bed the stock so the recoil lug stays in place and set to the optimum height for each rifle. Over time the factory lug will slip further into the stock, if you do not stop it from doing so. I choose to glass it in, so it stays consistent over time. ..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I had been referring to the action and recoil lug being two different pieces. I wonder if the B&C would handle the recoil of the 338 better than the separate lug in the factory stock

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice rifles Scotty. I like my model 70's as well, but haven't found any flies on the Tikka for a straight up great hunting rifle.

Nope I agree. Great hunting rifles and perfectly functional. I just never saw me picking one of them over an equally as accurate 70.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sure like my Tikka SL/McMillan Hunters Edge Combo. Its as nice of a hunting rig as many custom builds!!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nope I agree. Great hunting rifles and perfectly functional. I just never saw me picking one of them over an equally as accurate 70.

Hard to argue with that. I think oregonmuley posted a pic of a Mcmillan similar to the one you just sold? I damn near bought that stock from you buddy.. I'm lucky I don't mind the factory plastic stock though. Saves on the pocket book.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hunted with them a little…

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I sure like my Tikka SL/McMillan Hunters Edge Combo. Its as nice of a hunting rig as many custom builds!!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

This rifle is very nice!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hunted with them a little…

Cool pic man. You know they make those ski do's in adult size too..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,100
Posts18,483,097
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.