Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Wife worked for the FDIC which is a stand alone branch of the gov. They get no tax payers money. Their only income if from the fees they charge banks for their services.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I been self employed so long I doubt I could work for anybody. I’m sure there are both hard workers and slugs employed by the government just like any organization. The issue I have with government employment is that it seems difficult to get rid of an employee if they are a slug.
I wouldn't generalize.

It isn't as difficult as one would think if one goes through the process. The problem is, supervisors are far too often loath to do and maintain the paperwork necessary or are unfamiliar with the process so disciplinary action is then overturned on appeal.

I've been on both sides of this issue as a union rep and later in a supervisory position. Of those decisions that were challenged, I "won" reinstatement in 5 of 6 cases as a union rep and all three as a supervisor. Three of the 5 won as a rep I had to hold my nose but I made it clear to all I was defending the process and not the individual. 2 of the three as a supervisor were challenged and my decision was upheld, even against a discrimination claim. The one unchallenged was bulletproof as the process was followed to the letter and the union saw the folly of throwing money at a losing hand.

The process to fire an individual may seem onerous to many but they typically came about to fight the nepotism, favoritism, and politicization of government jobs that was once nearly general practice. It beats being a good worker but being fired to make a place for the city manager's nephew who cannot hold a job elsewhere.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Why, in many applications, does govt do what private industry could do much better?

Yet, govt prevents private industry or companies from doing that...

What do have in mind? Any examples?

AFAIK, private industry does no better at government work than government does at private industry work.

There will always be some overlap though.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahahaha!

Oh boy.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't read the whole thread, but I glanced over it. I saw where someone made an exception for military service..... what about LEO's?

Lets's make this more interesting. What if a small town wanted a (1) LEO? Paid for by taxes. It's government work.

I'm not asking if you would take/not take the job because of what is involved. I'm asking would you not take the job, just because it is paid for by the local government.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House in DC,
One is from New York , another is from Tennessee and the third, is from Florida.
All three go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The Florida contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring,
then works some figures with a pencil. 'Well,' he says, 'I figure the job will run
about $900, $400 for materials, $400 for my crew and $100 profit for me.'

The Tennessee contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says,
'I can do this job for $700, $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100
profit for me.'

The New York contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the
White House official and whispers, '$2,700.'
The official, incredulous, says, 'You didn't even measure like the other guys!
How did you come up with such a high figure?'

The New York contractor whispers back, '$1000 for me, $1000 for you, and we
hire the guy from Tennessee to fix the fence.'
'Done!' replies the government official.
And that, my friends, is how government contracting works.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Well...I'm credentialed by the government, but funded 100% by private industry. Conflicted maybe?

That opens up a whole nuther can of worms.

Why, in many applications, does govt do what private industry could do much better?

Money in a petitions pocket?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1 in 5 do. Glad I'm not one of them.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to get gov. contracts, here's the formula. Start you a company with a Native American woman as owner. Bid 15% over everyone else and you will get the contract.

It's that simple.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by plumbum

What do have in mind? Any examples?

AFAIK, private industry does no better at government work than government does at private industry work.

There will always be some overlap though.

Here's a HUGE difference, it's a 'mindset' that is taught, learned whatever.....

We had a preacher that was retired CIA, good guy all around.....

The ladies had been authorized to spend a certain amount of money on a project, they didn't use it all....

The 'advice' from the preacher was 'find a way to spend it all, because next year they won't give you as much' !?!?!?!?!?

I told him that's CRAP, they should spend what they need, nothing more. IF they need MORE next year they'll get it, it will NOT be based on this year.......

He clearly was ate up with Government 'THINK'........... and it is pervasive....

Life is way different when you're spending OTHER peoples money.....

There were times as an Air Traffic Controller that I did things, tried to get others to do things because it was cheaper for the overall budget..... Why?? they asked, it's NOT your money.....

To which I replied........ 'To HELL it ain't'....

That's the difference between private and government, or at least one of them....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Paid with taxpayers $$?
Look in the mirror in the morning and not be guilt ridden?
I’d rather rob banks, there’s more honor in it.

To be clear, your pride wouldn’t let you work for the public sector, but you brag about hiring illegal aliens.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fact is, the private industry through a competitive bid process could do it better, faster , and cheaper every time.

We (NV Dept of Trans.) tried using private contractors for a chip job, usually we get 4-5 years out of a CJ done right. This one lasted 3 storms before the plows scrubbed all the chips off. Same section after we redid it has now gone 3 years, looks like it will go one more winter. The striping crew did do a better job than us, too bad the paint came off with the chips.

We also awarded a contract to repair/maintain 51 garage doors, there was always a reason they couldn't get repairs done, no help, too far away, too dangerous. The guy got $24,000 for one year and repaired 2 doors, I did all the rest. Better, cheaper and faster?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, have passed up a few opportunities to do so. Being in the medical field, I have absolutely zero desire to work in the VA system or state regulatory field.

I believe our veterans deserve great Healthcare. Just feel the VA system is not it.

Been in the private sector my whole career and do not regret it one bit. Even though the lines in Healthcare are getting pretty blurred with all the Gov't and Gov't/ insurance company collusion.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Happy to say I have never worked for any government nor collected unemployment.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Well...I'm credentialed by the government, but funded 100% by private industry. Conflicted maybe?

That opens up a whole nuther can of worms.

Well B,

Part of it is self regulation by industry isn't always effective.

Here's a local "for instance" that is happening in our county. Frontier communications is putting in some new fiber optic services along a good number of our rural roads. They filed paperwork to hang the new lines from existing poles. That does a couple of things, one of the main ones is a categorical exclusion (exemption for the State here) from doing environmental studies as the poles are already there and any issues have already been deal with. That includes safety issues like encroachment on the road right of way.

So, folks start noticing new poles going in on a couple of "main" county roads, encroaching on private driveways and closer to the road surface than is normal. Of course, due to the existing poles the new poles were now being set on the opposite side of the road, where none had existed for years, if ever.

The contractor also used an auger truck that leaked oil at every hole, sometimes right in the roadway and at most they just shoveled some dirt on it. The new poles were being set in designated wetland areas with no environmental review or compliance with any permit Frontier and there contractors had applied for.

Now, here's the real kicker, Frontier already has an underground utility right of way due to their taking over from Citizens for the phone service, old copper lines, which they no longer support out here. I have a sign right in my yard warning against digging even.

I had the county road officer out here the other day to discuss some markings on our road that showed up a couple of weeks ago. Turns out Frontier and their contractors didn't file certain permits, didn't have those new poles approved, didn't follow what permits they had been issued and were generally just going to bull the project through and hope they didn't get caught.

After enough citizens complained about the new poles going in, the County looked into it and then had to threaten legal action, put a cease and desist on the project, and had a big meeting with Frontier and the contractor. An agreement was reached and poles have been removed, the roads cleaned of the spilled oil, and new permits are in the process of being worked out. I think the last I heard Frontier was going to use the underground right of way now, as they likely should have in the first place.

My best guess is those 'existing poles" are not Frontier poles, but owned by our local electrical co-op or Pacific Power, many of them are old, and likely can't handle any new loads on them. Lots of fear in the utility industry here of starting a fire because a line or pole went down.

So, we have here in our little rural county of 9K souls, another instance of industry not self regulating in a proper manner. Just going along and making up rules as they go with no respect for the citizenry's desires.

Oh, another thing, guess who's ultimately paying for it? How about the project being, at least partly, funded by the Fed government for improved communications for rural areas, similar to the Rural Electrification projects in the early days as rural areas would not be served if Frontier had their way. Less than 4 people per square mile doesn't make them a lot of money compared to metro areas.

Just a recent example from cowboy country in NE Cali. I've seen many more in other areas of the Country I've lived too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
The fact is, the private industry through a competitive bid process could do it better, faster , and cheaper every time.

We (NV Dept of Trans.) tried using private contractors for a chip job, usually we get 4-5 years out of a CJ done right. This one lasted 3 storms before the plows scrubbed all the chips off. Same section after we redid it has now gone 3 years, looks like it will go one more winter. The striping crew did do a better job than us, too bad the paint came off with the chips.

We also awarded a contract to repair/maintain 51 garage doors, there was always a reason they couldn't get repairs done, no help, too far away, too dangerous. The guy got $24,000 for one year and repaired 2 doors, I did all the rest. Better, cheaper and faster?

Sometimes it works that way, eh?

Probably a lot has to do with who's doing the work. My experience has generally been good, but there was the one or two folks on every .gov site that were the bad example.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, I worked for the post office for a couple of years before I got hired onto the weather bureau. Funny thing, the day I was hired it was the Weather Bureau. The very next day it was changed to the National Weather Service. Go figure. I believe I was right dong the job, having the responsibility to do warnings and related stuff. I do have a few attaboys from higher authority for getting out timely warnings potentially saving lives. So yes, I could work for the government in the capacity in which I worked and would do it agin if it weren't for those damn rotating shifts. I'm too old for that crap.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it more honorable to make your living off the labor of illegal wetbacks than work for the government?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Is it more honorable to make your living off the labor of illegal wetbacks than work for the government?

Only if citizenship status trumps work ethic in your opinion. Does being a natural born citizen make it ok to be a lazy entitled Fugk living off taxpayer dollars?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is always interesting to see threads like this where people seek to establish a pecking order as to the honor of various jobs. Just when someone self-righteously establishes himself as the king of the hill as to the "honor" of jobs, someone else comes along to knock him from the summit with an even more honorable way of earning a living.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (257 mag, 37L1, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.