Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Tell me.....why would Marc Taylor want to buy a bag for over $600 just to test it? I wouldn't want to do that either. Kutenay, I respect your opinion on a lot of things but you are dead wrong about Taylor, he's a great guy and sells quality products which he steadfastly stands behind. He doesn't sell junk either, I know because i've actually been to his store many times.....

No, you tell me, why would someone post a detailed critique of one of his competitor's products on a public forum having never laid hands on the product? It's a sleeping bag, and if you're going to review a sleeping bag, you need to have the bag to make a judgment on its performance, wouldn't you say? I can understand him not wanting to spend the $$, but if he doesn't have the product in hand to test, he should just keep his opinions to himself because he has no basis for his opinions. And yes, I can draw certain conclusions based on what I've read from Taylor on the internet with 100% justification because the simple act of slamming your competitor's product in writing, in public, without basis is inherently unethical. I need not meet the man in person to draw that conclusion.

Now, to your second point, if Taylor is a great guy and sells great products which he stands behind, shouldn't that be enough? Shouldn't he just promote his own stuff and not stoop to bad-mouthing the competition? Isn't that what "great guys" do?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gentlemen,
There is a lesson to be learned here apparently by some of those in business that build/sell sleeping bags. Wiggy as all of us that have dealt with him know is a guy that will tell you in a heart beat all about his sleeping bags, their quality, the material they are made out of, who he builds them for, etc. etc. He is obviously successful selling his products and the market has given him a good grade.
Patrick Smith's products are also obviously very good products. His service is excellent and the way he stands behind his products is an example many business people can learn from. He has also been given a good grade by the market place.
My own practical experience with both Wiggy's and Patrick's products have been good. Here is the point to this post.
Getting involved and making comments or replying to comments on any message boards that reference someone's business, there business interests or another's business is not a good idea especially if the posts are offensive to anyone in any way. It is almost impossible (unless a business person is thanking someone for a complimentary post) to say the right thing.
I didn't see the Wiggy posts on Patrick's MB but I can only imagine. Those that work in my business have the same opportunities to make comments on MB's relating to the same as do I. All are absolutely forbidden to post/reply and as an example I follow the same procedure no matter what the subject.
The 'fire" is a great place to find out about practically any outdoor product and I enjoy reading posts by all of you guys and this is the one place (not remotely related to the business I am engaged in) that I find reading and posting occassionally "therapy" and fun because it's kinda like being in a camp up Greys River Road just west of Alpine, Wy. to hunt the giant Mulies that hang out in Bridger.
Hammering one another is something akin to what Wiggy was doing to Patrick???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These 2 rump-rangers are back?

The Bill of Rights is just that. It is not the Bill of Needs as determined by some liberal know it all.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often for precisely the same reason.
K
kutenay Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I think the point here Race is not about Wiggy or Patrick who is perfectly capable of looking after himself. It IS about one person deliberately coming on the Campfire backpacking forum, which is USUALLY pretty mellow and friendly and attempting to cause trouble. THAT is something I find REALLY offensive and Taylor has done this before, in fact, that is ALL he does here.

If, someone prefers a Wiggy's bag or an ID or a WM or a freakin' army blanket, I don't care and I doubt that most others here do, either. I enjoy this forum, which is why I come here and I try to pass on what little knowledge I have gained over the years in a reasonable fashion.

If, someone doesn't like me, my opinions, Canada, BC or whatever, fine, let them ignore me, as I do a couple of posters whom I consider a PITA. BUT, I do not and most of us do not, DELIBERATELY attempt to slag others here and I doubt that most here want that to start, I certainly don't.

Your position is a wise one, too bad everyone would not act as you do, but, I have found that some "outdoorsmen" cannot seem to post anything without a stupid sarcastic and usually false sneer at someone else. Well, that's the internet, for good or bad, I guess and not much we can do about it, really.

I just hope that this MB does not go the way of others, it has been a real fun place to relax. Anyway, I'm leaving next Monday for the BC interior to see if a stupid Mulie might get shot by an old geezer like me...and I am sleeping in , shudder, Primaloft!!!! Probably die........ smile smile smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well lets just say that I've never seen a favorable word from W about any other brand.... just negatives and how perfect his is.

Never said you mentioned a thing.

The ethics from the W side have always sucked IMHO.

But you are right, I don't know all of it. I do know this. I have 5 Wiggys' bags in the family, all are happy with their bags. Love em actually. They are heavy for what I do so I have them and others for different situations. I also have Kifaru gear, a tipi which is great, another on the way and a Long Hunter. All very well made and useful. What I've continually heard is how much better W is. While I've never heard Kifaru brag, only test their gear and if you dont' like it we'll take it back. They don't have to do the used car salesmen tactics of belittling the competition. They let their performance speak.

I prefer that attitude over any arrogant bstards, but I use gear from both for its purposes.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow. Who's doing the namecalling here?

But still nothing on experience in a Kifaru bag...

After 2 pages...

And over 500 views...

Just wondering about that, that's all.

"Chirp, Chirp" go the crickets.

Taylor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor

But still nothing on experience in a Kifaru bag...

Taylor

And yours, is?......Be honest, now. Don

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Which 2 rump rangers are you referring to?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Against my better judgement, I'll submit that it seems to me, over time, this argument has achieved Biblical proportions.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Men,
If I could get my schedule squared away I would take off tomorrow and drive out to Craig, Co (I think 3rd rifle Mule Deer starts Saturday with OC tags still available) and stop at Patrick's on the way and pick up a new bag just to try it out. I am sure it would perform perfectly and it would be much easier to carry than my Wiggy FTRS bag.
One things for sure if I wasn't satisfied with the Kifaru Regulator Patrick would make it right. That speaks volumes for his product.
If I decided to go with what I already have it would perform fine as well as it has in the past.
Patrick's business acumen and Jerry's from the little experience I have had with both are opposite however I enjoyed dealing with both.
This discussion has turned somewhat personal for some of you gentlemen and that is unfortunate. We need someone with experience with a Kifaru Regulator bag to share their thoughts on the bag with us. I hope the flavor of some of these posts is not keeping the info we desire to read off of this forum. All of this over a sleeping bag??

Dave

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Now that's funny.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So is the bag any good or what?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aw, man!

What did Ti Goat ever do to deserve getting lumped in with that bunch? Still funny...

Taylor - FOAD

The Bill of Rights is just that. It is not the Bill of Needs as determined by some liberal know it all.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often for precisely the same reason.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't know, never tried one myself. I don't feel qualified to comment on it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's probably more than I'd need for any of my adventures anyway.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know the history behind Mr Wiggy's posts and don't care to as that BS is in the past and what I posted wasn't in his defense, it was in Taylors. I have no experience with the Regulator bag so I can't offer up any help with that. And Leadslinger, I cetainly hope your assinine remark about rumprangers wasn't directed at me, you don't know me from Adam nor I you, if it's not directed at me than my apologies. Now we can get back on topic.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would venture to say that besides the obvious distraction injected into the thread, the reason we haven't heard more about the Regulator is that it hasn't been out long, is pretty expensive and is marketed to a relatively small group of backpacking hunters and a probably larger market of those in service who are willing to pay for a top notch product. No matter how you look at it, $300 for a 20 degree synthetic bag is mucho dinero and it may be a while before a good number of this group make that investment. The one report I read of someone who actually slept in the bag was favorable and said that it was good down to the rated temperature. That in itself is amazing given the weight and compactness of the bag. So, crickets chirp away, I'm sure there will be more reports forthcoming. Hopefully the bulk of them come from those who have actually used the bag. Happily, being a large hairy man wearing fishnets does not seem to be a requirement as to the bag's effectiveness.

K
kutenay Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by CCH
Happily, being a large hairy man wearing fishnets does not seem to be a requirement as to the bag's effectiveness.

THAT says it all about the distractions, dam good one, bud!!! smile smile smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, there was that one account of a guy having to wake up in the middle of the night and do sit-up's...

This is a good distraction, so I think I'll entertain for a while.

Leadslinger - G.F.Y. Now there's an acronym back at ya. Now we're all a bunch of twelve-year-olds!

Huskyrunnr - Ah, I don't really know what to say about something as strange as that... except, I hope you don't think that's W himself. And if I were at TiGoat, you'd already have removed the part of the logo that you cut/pasted. Or I'd own your computer, either/or.

AkMtnHntr - Don't take it too seriously. Just a clown puffing up his puny chest behind a computer, safe in his own home...

If you guys would just think of the "Regulator" from a realistic, objective standpoint, you'd see its obvious flaws. It's nothing personal, just a bad business decision and flawed engineering.

The ambient temperature inside a sleeping bag wont be raised by spot-insulating portions but not the entire bag, as heat will escape as fast as it is created. It'll work for a while, but not for an 8-hour period. Having zippers that run the radial of the bag doesn't help either.

But then, some of you guys already know it all, and at least one of you keeps buying every piece of new gear that comes out in a failed attempt to acquire knowledge.

Truth is, once you get so far up the Rhino's ass, you can't see the light of day!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor

If you guys would just think of the "Regulator" from a realistic, objective standpoint, you'd see its obvious flaws. It's nothing personal, just a bad business decision and flawed engineering.

The ambient temperature inside a sleeping bag wont be raised by spot-insulating portions but not the entire bag, as heat will escape as fast as it is created. It'll work for a while, but not for an 8-hour period. Having zippers that run the radial of the bag doesn't help either.

So your saying that the MOB's will not hit their respective temperature ratings?

And you know for a fact that sections added to the bag do not raise inside temps for 8 hour periods?

You have tried the bags and know that these are facts?

Last edited by ken999; 11/01/07.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 70 invisible), 16,749 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,185
Posts18,543,300
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.