Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
If you had maximum points, which unit would you want to hunt?

Which Tier 1 Wyoming Trophy Outfitter would you want to go with?

Which Hunt dates would be most advantageous for a monster Elk?

Equipment Recommendations: Any tips are appreciated particularly for Boots / Pac Boots, Coats Fleece vs. Wool or anything else to keep you warm and dry you wish to share.

It seems Woolrich has gone woke and I don't even think they make their Hunting coat anymore. Filson raised their prices $100 last year and I hear the quality is not what it used to be after they were bought out.

Anyone have any experience with this Wool Coat?
https://micklagaard.com/en-us/collections/jackets-1/products/jacka-kebne?variant=31604037746821

How cold does it get on a late season hunt?

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn't share a specific area I wanted to draw/hunt

I wouldn't use a outfitter/guide

I would hunt whatever season I preferred, be it archery or rifle.

I prefer mountaineering boots (asolo, la sportiva, zamberlan, etc) over most garbage you can find at cabelas.

If you want a warm coat for late season, first lite Chamberlin, thank me later. Puffy pants are a must too if you're going to be stationary/glassing for long periods.

It can be below zero at night and single digits during the day in October. Late season can be colder.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/09/23.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Probably be looking at wagon hound outfitters !

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I prefer mountaineering boots (asolo, la sportiva, zamberlan, etc) over most garbage you can find at cabelas.
I am not shopping at Cabela's.

If you want a warm coat for late season, first lite Chamberlin, thank me later. Puffy pants are a must too if you're going to be stationary/glassing for long periods.

Would that get ripped apart with lots of feathers in the air in the bush ? Above treelined I could see that being a good choice.

It can be below zero at night and single digits during the day in October. Late season can be colder.[/quote]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Cold Zero

Would that get ripped apart with lots of feathers in the air in the bush ? Above treelined I could see that being a good choice.

It can be below zero at night and single digits during the day in October. Late season can be colder.

I'm going to assume that's your question due to the quote job cluster.

You won't be hiking around in that jacket, unless you want to get sweated out and die of hypothermia. It's an extremely warm coat. When you're moving, it's usually a good idea to remove layers to try and minimize sweating as much as possible.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/09/23.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Drop the idea of a wool coat--heavy, takes forever to dry if it gets wet.

Think multiple thin layers, baselayer, shirt, vest, puffy coat, and a shell for wet weather and/or wind.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Big bulls in the Thoroughfare area and in area 7 with Wagonhound.
7 has the rep for big bulls but they can be found all over the state.
Best outfitters are booked for a few years out, maybe willing to PP share and get in earlier?

Several good outfitters in area 7 to choose from also, not just Wagonhound.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I are putting in with 16 & 15 non-resident points. Plan on going outfitter/horseback into a wilderness area adjacent to Yosemite Park. Still need to draw tags and the point creep is a potential problem. We have good rifle dates: Oct 1 - 6. Get tags first and worry about gear later.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Maybe not Yosemite??

:-)

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For me personally, I would be more concerned about the type of elk hunt. ie a pack-in horseback hunt in the Thoroughfare is a much different hunt than a ranch hunt in something like unit 7.

For me it’s the quality of the experience . Hunting horseback, in wilderness, hearing bulls bugling from your tent while listening to hobbled horses feeding , the grind of up early , back late, watching sparks fly from horseshoes/rocks on the ride. The smell of coffee perking while you saddle up horses... Cold starry night skies in and out. The smell of elk up close in dark timber......

Yes sir, give me a pack in wilderness horseback hunt in middle to late September early October.....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
If you had maximum points, which unit would you want to hunt?

Which Tier 1 Wyoming Trophy Outfitter would you want to go with?

Which Hunt dates would be most advantageous for a monster Elk?

Equipment Recommendations: Any tips are appreciated particularly for Boots / Pac Boots, Coats Fleece vs. Wool or anything else to keep you warm and dry you wish to share.

It seems Woolrich has gone woke and I don't even think they make their Hunting coat anymore. Filson raised their prices $100 last year and I hear the quality is not what it used to be after they were bought out.

Anyone have any experience with this Wool Coat?
https://micklagaard.com/en-us/collections/jackets-1/products/jacka-kebne?variant=31604037746821

How cold does it get on a late season hunt?
Did you get the coat? I'm intrigued by it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not trying to insult anyone, but a Top Tier outfitter in the glamour areas/ranches or seasons is going to be 10-16k for a trophy hunt.

A pack in thorofare hunt on a general license a little less. Just to get that out of the way. Maybe that's no big deal, but it is a serious chunk of change for lots of people.

And lots of the good outfitters are booked up pretty good.

It can be dang cold on a late season or just cool. There is zero chance I'm wearing those wool coats on that kind of hunt, or really any kind in Wyoming. A giant down puffy is lighter and warmer.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Check out Josh at Shoshone Lodge Outfitters or Joe Poteat with South Fork outfitters. Joe has a unit 58 camp that is a late season hunt and kills some big ass bulls. And with max points outfitters won't be filled up on the LE units as the odds of NR's drawing are slim.

If you want good wool clothing check out Sleeping Indian or King of the Mountain.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
JeffP

For me it’s the quality of the experience . Hunting horseback, in wilderness, hearing bulls bugling from your tent while listening to hobbled horses feeding , the grind of up early , back late, watching sparks fly from horseshoes/rocks on the ride. The smell of coffee perking while you saddle up horses... Cold starry night skies in and out. The smell of elk up close in dark timber......

Yes sir, give me a pack in wilderness horseback hunt in middle to late September early October.....[/quote]

This mirrors exactly what I was thinking of saying in a reply…. My thoughts also.

Ozarks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Buzzie
Check out Josh at Shoshone Lodge Outfitters or Joe Poteat with South Fork outfitters. Joe has a unit 58 camp that is a late season hunt and kills some big ass bulls. And with max points outfitters won't be filled up on the LE units as the odds of NR's drawing are slim.

Josh Martogolio is who I'm booked with. Greybull River area.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

I'm going to assume that's your question due to the quote job cluster.

You won't be hiking around in that jacket, unless you want to get sweated out and die of hypothermia. It's an extremely warm coat. When you're moving, it's usually a good idea to remove layers to try and minimize sweating as much as possible.

Yes, I was concerned about the down coat being ripped apart riding the horse thru the treelined. I have a pair of Mountain Hardware Compressor pants with full size zipper I can put on. I just bought Kuiu Attack pants to wear under the MHP or if the Kuiu pants are not warm enough I could wear Wool pants under the puffy pants.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by chesterwy

I am hearing that 59-01 is the place to go for the monsters.

Anyone have any comment on area 16 for a late hunt for top quality trophies?

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Drop the idea of a wool coat--heavy, takes forever to dry if it gets wet.

Think multiple thin layers, base layer, shirt, vest, puffy coat, and a shell for wet weather and/or wind.

The top tier Outfitter I spoke to told me that he and his guides all wear Wool from head to toe. I understand what you are saying about layers and light weight, coming from someone who has done 3 Sheep and 1 Goat hunt, I understand. But, the man said Wool, so now I am hesitating.

The Woolrich Hunting Coat that is in great shape that even has a zippered liner that most font have that I wore in the 1980s and 90s is a 42" and no longer fits me. Woolrich has gone woke and doesn't even make this coat anymore.

Filson, was bought out, raised their prices $100 about 1 year ago on the Double Mac' Cruiser to $495 and the quality has gone down. That's Why I did some research and came up with that Swedish Coat from Micklagaard. For the same money are Filson, it seems like a superior Coat.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by wytex
Big bulls in the Thoroughfare area and in area 7 with Wagonhound.
7 has the rep for big bulls but they can be found all over the state.
Best outfitters are booked for a few years out, maybe willing to PP share and get in earlier?

Several good outfitters in area 7 to choose from also, not just Wagonhound.

Can you put me onto some more good outfitters in Area 7 in case I end up there?
Wagonhound is a name that keep coming up. There must be others?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.