-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only been faithful at keeping one New Years resolution. That was to not make any new year resolutions. grin

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Me too Rick, except I've never made even one. I know I can't keep them.
Speaking of old cars I going to get a 1930 Model A Ford cabriolet basket case tomorrow. This has been in the works for a while but the weather hasn't been cooperating.
Will post pics when I get back.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
Originally Posted by moosemike
We just got a 57 99F in 300 at the LGS for 550.00 in very good condition and it came with a Nikon ProStaff 2-7

Damn, somebody should jump on that! That was an okay price for, say, about a decade ago.
Already did. It's setting here beside me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Yeah, I'm close enough to drive up, but that would be breaking my New Years Resolution of only Pre WWI rifles this year, just 14 days in.

when was that ever a problem happens all
the time.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/965443869
So, I really want to know, the thoughts on this rifle, sold for a ton of coins! I asked about it earlier in this thread but didn't get any real response about the feature set, if someone would like to re-read my prior posted observation and then check out this sold listing, I would like to be enlightened, It is a post mil rifle that should not have the features and build location it has, from my limited knowledge, using some of the books/guides. As I said, I would really like to know thoughts from the experts on this one, as it is an anomaly, in my opinion, but I'm probably wrong, smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TBigBuck
So, I really want to know, the thoughts on this rifle, sold for a ton of coins! I asked about it earlier in this thread but didn't get any real response about the feature set, if someone would like to re-read my prior posted observation and then check out this sold listing, I would like to be enlightened, It is a post mil rifle that should not have the features and build location it has, from my limited knowledge, using some of the books/guides. As I said, I would really like to know thoughts from the experts on this one, as it is an anomaly, in my opinion, but I'm probably wrong, smile

The fellow that bought this gun has purchased multiple times from a member here, 1899sav. If you shoot him a PM, I am certain you'll get the answers you want. Lots of knowledge here, but at the same time the majority are tire kickers.

1899sav
Campfire Outfitter
From Illinois
Join Date 07/15/05 02:08 PM
Last Seen 11/03/22 05:27 PM
Total Posts

Posts Per Day

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What features shouldn't it have being a 1961 99F? Looks right to me, except for the added studs.

The price shocks me, but it looks basically flawless outside of the studs. 4 stubborn guys wanted it. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
1961 rifle with a Chicopee Falls barrel, but we know they used up some old barrels. So, not what you would expect to see on a 1961 rifle, but I don't know that I would call it an anomaly either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It also likely has a Chicopee Falls stock. They did away with the sharp cut on the fluted comb for new stocks in 1960, but some 99F's keep showing up with it into 1961. I think all the early 99DL's had the scalloped comb (as I call it). But again, 99F's with it is just using up parts.

Late 1950's fluted comb that shows up on some 99F's 1960-1961:
[Linked Image from cdn.v3.d4liberty.com]

Early 1960's "scalloped" comb:
[Linked Image from lsbauctions.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1961 above, 1955 below. Both 99F in 250-3000.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DL's scalloped

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your 250-3000 is a mid-1950's 99F Style 1, no fluted comb. The 99F's had fluted combs later in the 50's, and those are Style 3 (page 94).
Originally Posted by Fireball2
1955 below. Both 99F in 250-3000.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, just adding some perspective to the discussion

LOL
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I was wondering about the Chicopee Falls stamp for the year and fluted comb on the butt stock....but you guys addressed that...I thought, by the book it was late to have these features on a post-mil rifle, but wondered about the price for this 99F, just seemed high to me, although the rifle is super clean

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
but wondered about the price for this 99F, just seemed high to me, although the rifle is super clean

This is a perfect proof that a gun is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. I've sold guns on GB that landed 2x what I thought they were worth.

You start a gun at .01, sky is the limit.

It doesn't matter what I think or what anybody else thinks the value of a gun is....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You could wait for a better price and not see one you like as much. That to me is the risk. What's a couple hundred bucks difference these days? Unless you're buying it as an investment to flip - that is, not for your collection nor for hunting - i don't see that it matters much. Those 50's 99's are the peak of the 99 production. That means they haven't made any for 60+ years. Doing a search i have seen them going at auction commonly for $1000 to $1500 bucks in good shape. I don't think these are unreasonable prices for a fine vintage rifle by any means, in fact, i think the 99's have been underpriced for years. I have seen Marlin levers, 45-70's just like the one i bought for $650 a bit over a decade ago going for 2 grand or more at shows, which i think is ridiculous, for perspective.

I have hunted in .300 Savage for years and reload for it, but i think objectively that .308 is the best deal in these today. It will give you a huge range of reasonably priced ammo to choose from, it will take anything on the continent (i wouldn't be so confident with coastal brown bear, but that's about the only caveat i see) and more than that, it is the round that seems resistant to shortages. I just picked up a .308 F at auction last week, a '61, for hunting. Collectors don't tend to like the tang-trigger models but i'm not a collector and it has considerably better than average figure in the nice dark walnut (many are very plain) and that gold trigger to my eye was a really class addition. I'm gonna refinish the wood and it's going to look amazing. I think that's my deciding factor all else being equal and in good shape - what is the walnut like? There were some gorgeous hunks of wood slipped in there in the general production in those days.

Last edited by gulo; 01/21/23.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Me too Rick, except I've never made even one. I know I can't keep them.
Speaking of old cars I going to get a 1930 Model A Ford cabriolet basket case tomorrow. This has been in the works for a while but the weather hasn't been cooperating.
Will post pics when I get back.

Any updates on the basket of Model A?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Got it last week. It has a lot of good points but is missing the very hard to find cabriolet steel top parts. I'll probably have to "invent" a top for it. It came with two sets of cabriolet doors. Between the two sets I can make a good pair of doors. The wood in the body is all new or good original. It also came with an excellent pair of Briggs front four door sedan doors with excellent wood and door and window mechanisms that I can use with the cabriolet doors. The Briggs body company built the cabriolet and one type of four door sedan body for Ford. It came with 1935 vintage 16" wheels. I think I'll keep them on the car, the 16" tires are more available and cheaper than the original 19" s that were used in 1930 and 1931. They look good on the car also.
right side
[Linked Image]
left side
[Linked Image]
bottom of one set of doors is rusted out but other set has good bottom but windshield frame is bent and broken.
[Linked Image]

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I took cell phone photos when we unloaded it. Can no longer transfer them to where I can put them on the forum. These pics are with the 35 mm of the cell phone pics. Next time I get it outside I'll take pics with the 35 mm. Haven't gotten it running yet. Too many projects.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We kind of got off the subject here.
here is a pic of the rear. It came with a really rough trunk lid. All cabriolet's had rumble seats. Brookville makes repro rumble lids so I'll get one of those.
rear view of the car
[Linked Image]
good friend gave me these fiberglass fenders.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by wyo1895; 01/24/23.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,679
Posts18,513,358
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.