Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have 3 1899/99 Savages, that had the tang crack when I bought them. All have had many rounds shot thru them since I bought'um. My 99D, that I bought in '66 had the worse. Since, all 3 of my daughter, 6 of my grand daughters, and both of my wives learned to shoot with that gun (.300). It has not shot hundreds of rounds, but thousands of rounds. None of my rifles cracks have gotten any worse! There fore, I can not believe that these cracks are caused by recoil. MHO, that as thin as the wood is at this point, those cracks had to be caused by a side wise force. I have a 99E, that has a chip out, directly behind the top tang. That was caused by recoil! However, I am very open minded, and would welcome any proof that I am wrong! By proof, I mean showing me that you can crack the side of the wood, at the upper tang by recoil!

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Sorry Roy, I know I said that I wasn't going to get involved in this, but I just had to state my opinion. OOPs gotta bear to take care of

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes
Sorry Roy, I know I said that I wasn't going to get involved in this, but I just had to state my opinion. OOPs gotta bear to take care of

hey ALL opinions are appreciated on this forum. thkes many brains on this forum to make up the mind of one smile

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Originally Posted by Twinkletoes
I have 3 1899/99 Savages, that had the tang crack when I bought them. All have had many rounds shot thru them since I bought'um. My 99D, that I bought in '66 had the worse. Since, all 3 of my daughter, 6 of my grand daughters, and both of my wives learned to shoot with that gun (.300). It has not shot hundreds of rounds, but thousands of rounds. None of my rifles cracks have gotten any worse! There fore, I can not believe that these cracks are caused by recoil. MHO, that as thin as the wood is at this point, those cracks had to be caused by a side wise force. I have a 99E, that has a chip out, directly behind the top tang. That was caused by recoil! However, I am very open minded, and would welcome any proof that I am wrong! By proof, I mean showing me that you can crack the side of the wood, at the upper tang by recoil!

No one is saying that All 99 cracks are caused by recoil, the main cause from what I see is the fact that there isn't much wood in the tang area.

However, recoil, sideways movement, improper inletting at the factory, direction of wood grain, etc are all Contributing factors.

But if you say your 99E has a chip in the tang caused by recoil, why wouldn't recoil cause a crack?

The fact that the cracks in your 99's haven't spread, could be explained by several possible factors, the crack spread further into the stock where there is much more wood, or the grain direction changed, or over time the wood in the tang dried and shrunk away from the metal, etc etc.

I personally have seen tang cracks spread so far down through both sides of the pistol grip that I wouldn't even want to shoot them.

Last edited by EGSavage; 05/18/14.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Myself, I think wood contact with all points on the receiver is critical for preventing recoil caused cracks. I also think proper removal of the butt stock is critical for preventing cracks. And I also think not ever dropping the rifle is critical for not causing cracks.

Who knows what the causes are for all Savage cracks, but if I were a betting man I'd say 98% percent come from bad stock fitting, bad stock removing, and from dropping the rifle. Oh yeah, wood too is a non-consistent medium subject to weaknesses and failures all in itself.

Last edited by S99VG; 05/18/14.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some 99 stocks crack due to the wood checking as it ages. My 99EG had the Savage crack, so I fixed it and glass bedded the four places the stock and action meet. The buttplate on my gun (a pre-WWII piece) is about 1/16" larger than the wood now that the gun is 77 years old and has shrunk. A friend's 99F made around 1970 needed major stock repair. The "fingers" which fit inside the action on the sides were so flimsy that they broke off. I had to make new ones and epoxy them on.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You just brought up one more critical factor. Wood shrinkage due to age. Maybe some older 99s shouldn't be shot with their original stocks?!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been putting "shooter" stocks on M99s for years. wink grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Skidrow
An old rifle with a pristine stock is like an old man with no good stories to tell.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gulo
Originally Posted by Skidrow
An old rifle with a pristine stock is like an old man with no good stories to tell.

I wondered who had dug this back up , Always a good discussion for us old guys and newbys ..Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nine years later and we probably still don't have an answer we can agree on. grin

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rick99
Nine years later and we probably still don't have an answer we can agree on. grin
That's because there are multiple answers. smile
- horizontal pressure about the rec'r/stock
- horse rollover
- over tightened stock bolt
- other mishap...

"Every day above ground is a good day."
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
- Old ladies cracking walnuts with the butt plates on cement sidewalks
- use as canoe paddles
- levering Model T's out of the mud
- clubbing Mexicans on the head as they scramble over the walls of the Alamo (well, maybe not that).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Banging the butt on a tree trunk to get squirrels out of their nest.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pounding staples in fence posts to hold barbed wire.
Shoeing horses
Stirring a cold fire.
Using as a cane after horse steps on foot.
Tying to deer horns to use as a handle to drag deer.

Etc.,etc.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You guys forgot just sitting on a shelf in the vault !! eek eek

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe a squirrel got into the vault and used it to bang on the walls (or crack walnuts)?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It find it interesting that none of my old Marlins 1894s or 1893s and Winchester 1894s have cracks in the tang area. Not exactly the same but the stock to receiver fitment is somewhat similar.

I guess none of my 99s have cracks either. So there is that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Loggah
You guys forgot just sitting on a shelf in the vault !! eek eek

Didn't think of that one.

That being said, it happened to me...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by damnesia
It find it interesting that none of my old Marlins 1894s or 1893s and Winchester 1894s have cracks in the tang area. Not exactly the same but the stock to receiver fitment is somewhat similar.

I guess none of my 99s have cracks either. So there is that.

Indeed the stock heads of those guns aren't dissimilar from the Savage, note too that neither of them utilize a draw bolt....

Another great old timey rifle that suffered from cracked wrists was the Marlin Ballard single shot, and gasp, draw bolt there also.

Common denominator between the Savage and Ballard: tapered parts being forced into wood via screw pressure.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.