Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 66 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 65 66
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow....300 posts...By the way, I carry hot, always have, always will...Hunted the west since I was ten for everything from chukars to Elk to deer from the Cabinets to the Gifford Pinchot to the Snake River and on down the Mogollon Rim Country in Az...I don't use guides so I don't have to worry about someone telling me to carry hot or cold...I don't usually hunt with anyone else...I wouldn't have a problem with chambering a round sometimes and would other times, but I am not gonna start wondering whether one is chambered or not...I'll just carry hot cuz that's what I am used to....Fact, everyone I have ever hunted with has carried hot....If you wanna carry cold, more power to ya, but it's just not for me...Good luck hunting...

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This thread is still going on?

[Linked Image]
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We are the Eveready Bunny over here...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One more post, Yes I hunt with a round in the chamber. Where I hunt if you do not, you will never get a shot. From seeing the animal to pulling the trigger I have never had more than 3 seconds if I had taken more time the animal would be gone. As well, racking the bolt would spook the animal.

Also, do we carry our pistols with no round in the chamber. Likely not, when you need it you need it. Carried one for 22 years and it never fired except when I wanted or needed it to.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
DaddyRat,

You have a bunch of +1's to that, including myself!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I do...

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Rman
I haven't met a guide yet that will pair up with someone that hunts hot.

When hunting with guides I've always started with an empty chamber. My experience (3-4 trips domestically and one to Africa) is that after a few hours, they've sized up the client's gun handling skills and are OK with going hot, at least in situations where a shot is likely.

Of course I unload when riding in a vehicle, crawling up a steep hill, rock-hopping across streams, etc.

When hunting with others I mainly worry about their muzzle control (or lack thereof). There's a reason the NRA's #1 safety rule is "Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction."

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone else see muzzle discipline go to poop with a Safari sling? Couple guys I hunt elk with use 'em and I've had to get pretty pointy with them about it.

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_Olsen; 11/19/07.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt whitetails from a treestand. My rifle is hot with the safty on. Of course I don't chamber a round untill I have pulled the rifle up into the tree!

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
31 Chapters later and yes, I still will hunt "Hot" as deemed appropriate by the conditions.

Jeff, did you ever run the numbers? I'm too lazy too look for the post..... BT

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If I'm alone and hunting yes.

If I'm behind a guide, or other person while hunting NO.

Of course I unchamber when climbing, crawling, ... other junk.

Spot

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
31 Chapters later and yes, I still will hunt "Hot" as deemed appropriate by the conditions.

Jeff, did you ever run the numbers? I'm too lazy too look for the post..... BT

It was roughly 70/30, hot. It's a couple pages back. I think we've had mostly "hot" guys chime in since then so probably a little more like 72/28 or something.

The good guys are winning! (THAT'S A JOKE!! SHEESH!!)

:-)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
post count really important?

Edit: "The Internet consists of a group of people, beating a dusty depression into the ground, which contains the pounded remains of the proverbial dead horse."

Last edited by sturgeon; 11/19/07.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I wouldn't hunt with someone who doesn't carry one in the tube. Shows they are too paranoid and insecure that they don't even trust themselves.If someone is that bad, I wouldn't trust them around me once they did chamber a round.

Damn straight.

I'm not about to start wondering if I have a shell chambered.

I've experienced both sides of the spooked game aspect. I have had elk bolt from well over 100 yds from the sound of a hammer cocking, but on the other hand the biggest bull I've taken was only 65 yards and (due to a caucophany of unforseen events) I had to actually load my gun (not just cycle a round).

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hot....unless in a scabbard.

Most AD's occur when loading and unloading firearms.

Choose your poison.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry cold, and my friends do as well. Can't get too worked up over what everyone else does.

Funny how some in the 'carry hot' crowd think they have a corner on thick woods and wary critters...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
I carry cold, and my friends do as well. Can't get too worked up over what everyone else does.

Funny how some in the 'carry hot' crowd think they have a corner on thick woods and wary critters...

... and think that if you don't do it their way it must be because you are uncomfortable around guns, have poor gun handling skills and a level of insecurity that is off the charts...

It ain't necessarily so...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Hey, your Browning must be a 44 mag to hold that many rounds?? ...
-jeff

Browning B92, a gift from Dad back in the mid-'80's. It was my backup elk gun for many years and hunted at least one day each of those years. It's my only unscoped rifle and is likely to stay that way.

It was also our protection against bears, lions and 2-legged varmints when camping with the family.

Love that rifle!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And how some folks seem to have a corner on all the luck. Of course it isn't perceived as luck, it's "good technique." I guess if you've been out and about long enough and never had to stare at the cold black eye at the end of the barrel, and especially if you've never had a hot one pointed at you as it slid or fell, you've been lucky. I do not wish my epitaph to read, "He was lucky 'til he died." I've know too many folks who've had close calls with that kind of luck. I prefer my luck in the positive rather than the negative.

To equate the use of a hot chambered bolt gun used for hunting, with an often/usually uncocked handgun, often used for self defense is absurd. I simply don't have much faith in a hot chambered, cocked gun which relies on a mechanical safety, luck, and 100% human perfection in handling to not go off. I know this human and several others too well.

I grew up on exposed hammer rifles and shotguns. They were never carried cocked, that action happening only when the gun was to be fired. My choice to not carry a hot chambered bolt gun relies not on some insecurity or paranoia, but on what I know. Does that mean folks who do otherwise are simply ignorant?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
the funniest thing I heard when chatting with my friends about this was....

I asked "do you hunt with a round in the chamber?"

smart Aleck says "well I dang sure ain't fast enough to bayonette em!"

I was rollin....

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Page 16 of 66 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,143
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.