Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Huskie or Stihl?

Replacing one I took back to Home Depot, just for trimming around the property......

The Home Depot one was the biggest model they carried locally, a Ryobi... with a "three year warranty" and they also tried to sell me an additional two years warranty extension... I had purchased it back in 2021, because with a yard full of trees, stuff would eventually happen...so I finally need to use it when an entire tree came down and took out 10 feet of the neighbor's fence... It ran 3 tanks of gas and then wouldn't start again..

and yeah it had 100 octane fuel, with a 50/50 mix etc... in it...would only replace it...

They NO LONGER work on them at the store... only on rental equipment... they gave me a list of 3 places in Oregon that would repair it...
but it was my bite to get it to the shops and returned home... each 250 miles away......burn more in in fuel getting it there and back, than it cost me...

So I've looked around and all I can get serviced locally, is either the Huskie or Stihl....

Looking at the Stihl 250 for $399 or the Huskie 455 or 460 for $499.

Any of you chain saw guys can offer some direction of which way to go, I'd appreciate it...

Home Depot and its warranty on these items is virtually useless.... yet they still try to get me to buy an extended warranty....

What exactly are you mixing 50/50?

Edit to add:

I’m using the same Stihl 032 my dad bought in 1981.

Last edited by Gooch_McGrundle; 02/14/23.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've run Husky for last 30yrs. Model 51. Don't think they make them anymore. Definately buy a pro saw if you do any firewood cutting. 20" bar. Take care of it and it'll last.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hahaha 😆

Wasn't it ol' Seafire, that a week or so back, had Larry Potterfield knocking on deaths door in the old folks home?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Seafire….I missed the 50:50 part of your original post. If you are using a 50:50 mix of oil to gas that’s likely your problem or one of your problems anyway. Most saws are 50:1 of gas to oil. Some of my logging buddies use 40:1 and they say they prefer more lubrication on their big heavily used falling saws and don’t mind a little extra smoke.

If I was in your spot I’d get a good saw from the dealer and use non-ethanol gas at the recommended ratio of gas to oil. Too much oil and you’ll clog your jets and everything else up, too little and you’ll burn your saw up.

50:50 is WAYYYY TOO MUCH OIL….good luck. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Stihl Gold dealer. They service.

Your John Deere and ACE stores sell Stihl and provide service when a service guy stops by in general. Not saying there isn’t a full service Husky dealer somewhere in my area, but I don’t know of one. I’m all Stihl; and big supporter of using their oils.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never ran a Husky, but have a few Stihl's. The 261 professional model runs like a scalded dog.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
Home Depot and its warranty on these items is virtually useless.... yet they still try to get me to buy an extended warranty....

If it were me I'd take the Stihl but the Husky is a good saw as well.

I bought a pair of digital calipers from HD, they carry lifetime warranty, at check out I was asked if I wanted to by an extended warranty, LOL.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I buy the premixed Stihl gas for the little saw around here. When I bought this saw back in 2021 I did so because the lack of imports at the time with the supply chain bullshit was causing me a little concern and I wanted a new saw. If I purchased 2 quart cans of the Stihl mixed gas they added another 2 years on the warranty.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mtj21

Your John Deere and ACE stores sell Stihl and provide service when a service guy stops by in general. Not saying there isn’t a full service Husky dealer somewhere in my area, but I don’t know of one. I’m all Stihl; and big supporter of using their oils.

Around here the Stihl dealers HAVE to have a full time service tech. It’s a requirement to be a Stihl dealer. We have 3 dealers in a roughly 15 mile circle. I bought the Farm Boss at the Stihl dealer and local Ace Hardware which has a full time mechanic. My brother owns a rental business and was thinking about being a Stihl dealer but the full time mechanic was a no go for him.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by renegade50
Oh boy...

10 pages normal setting at least...

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤣

Yep. You GOTSTA have a Stihl 362 to prune limbs in the backyard, once a year!!

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by ironbender
50:50 fuel:oil mix?

Why 100 octane?

HomeyD took back a 2 yo saw?

Am I missing something?
Yeah playa…you missin dat I all reddy posted dis sheeit
I have you on ignore….playa!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need a good long bar for reaching up to the limbs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I’d go with either a Husky 550xp m2 or a Stihl ms261, run only NON ethanol in it at 40:1 gas/oil mixture. My favorite is a muffler mod’d 550xp, it is a badazz lil beast that cuts above it’s size. I’ve got a couple different saws of each brand and they’re all solid. Most of my larger saws are ported, the little 550xp runs like a ported saw with just a minor muffler mod.
peak98

Last edited by peak98; 02/14/23.

Originally Posted by beretzs

I used an 06 with 212 ELD this year. I kinda joked with my buddies it was sorta like a 6.5 Creed with some ballz...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He surely meant 50:1 mix with premium gas. Hard to find 100 octane. Saws do much better with premium. I guess it is because they are high compression. I've heard they can detonate on low octane in hot weather.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by mtj21

Around here the Stihl dealers HAVE to have a full time service tech. It’s a requirement to be a Stihl dealer. We have 3 dealers in a roughly 15 mile circle. I bought the Farm Boss at the Stihl dealer and local Ace Hardware which has a full time mechanic. My brother owns a rental business and was thinking about being a Stihl dealer but the full time mechanic was a no go for him.

I wouldn't consider Ace hardware a saw shop. Never had good luck with any of their techs

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Ace here has a Stihl authorized mechanic and he is a GREAT guy! He’s worked on my saws, my tractors and my generators. The local Ace has its saw shop right next door and the saw shop is indeed a real saw shop.

Not all mechanics are created equal. The name on the shingle matters less than the quality of the mechanic.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
50/50 mix?

GOOD CATCH... 50 to 1.... 50/50, it would have ran about 2 minutes or less...

Homer Simpson Moment on the key board.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
OP,

If you set the saw on the ground, can you pick it up by the starter handle?
Without the cord coming out?

Homer Simpson moment # 2...

yeah, its gas NOT electric...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
50:50 fuel:oil mix?

Why 100 octane?

HomeyD took back a 2 yo saw?

Am I missing something?
Yeah playa…you missin dat I all reddy posted dis sheeit
I have you on ignore….playa!
I knew it…

<punching self in balls>

😃

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ldholton
notes . just because its high octane doesn't mean it's always ethanol free.. .Id buy a smaller pro saw before a bigger home owner for same $$ . .
go to an actual saw shop pick your brand on the though of best parts ans service support.

I buy my fuel for power equipment for home, at our local little Airport... Cessnas etc...size.. & Helicopters.

been doing that for years... you can't trust local stations here.. I've bought "Ethanol Free" 92 octane, and engine runs one tank, and then won't start, take the carb off and there is water in the bowl. its NOT ethanol free at all...

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (1_deuce, 338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 9 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,941
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.