Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Greyghost
The Hilleberg Saitaris uses a 40D Ripstop sprayed with silicone. The Mountain Hardware Trango uses a 70D Ripstop. Now if I wanted to spray an excessively heavy amount of silicone on a tent (and on both sides), I'd do it myself. Instead of giving it a fancy name and passing it off as a better material and charging twice as much for it.

As to the paid blogs, well enough said.

Phil
Gear lab is independent and one of the better sites. I’ll wager nothing is completely unbiased.

You own a trango; and like it. They are good tents.

I own hillebergs; and prefer them. They are also good tents - and for my needs and uses - better.

raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hilleberg Saitaris, I’ll most likely go this route
Gonna call them Monday to see what I can find out on one being available

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by 79S
Cabelas guide series tent. Get the 6 man perfect for 2 people. You will appreciate all the guy lines, get aluminum poles etc. I’m assuming this is for your unimak bear hunt? Plenty of these have been dragged to kodiak

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-geodesic-6-person-tent

👍

Envious of that Unimak Bear hunt..😖

I put in for it couple times then saw the cost for a lowly resident chit. I stopped and started putting in for kodiak lol. It’s definitely the place to go for a true big bear.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
For low profile, the Hilliberg is a solid choice.

The Kifaru Tipis have seriously impressed me in wind, but they are tall.

My buddy has a kifaru that did not survive infamous delta jct wind storms. They did warranty it for him..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

My buddy has a kifaru that did not survive infamous delta jct wind storms. They did warranty it for him..

Huh. That is the first I have heard of that happening.

IC B2

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 79S

I think I remember Vern posting a picture of a tipi shredded by extreme winds. Totally destroyed. Our SO tipi has withstood sustained 50+ winds, but it was spooky. We use long stakes and put short bungee sections on the guyouts, which I think helped some. I still take a backup tent if at all possible. It’s an empty feeling to know that no help is coming anytime soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by raghorn
... 4 season 4 person tent that can withstand some serious wind.,

Bibler/Black diamond "Bombshelter"

Product Details:

Expedition tested and trusted 4-person/4-season single-wall shelter
that's exceptionally stable in windy conditions.
Four-person, 2-door, 2-vestibule design
Four interior poles intersect seven times for maximum strength
Four interior mesh pockets
ToddTexTM single-wall fabric

Tech Specs:

Area
4.6 m2 (50 sq ft)
Average Packed Weight
4.42 kg (9 lb 12 oz)
Dimensions
229 x 203 x 203 x 112 cm
90 x 80 x 90 x 44 in
Packed Size
20 x 51 cm (80 x 20 in)

https://www.wildsnow.com/10259/black-diamond-bombshelter-tent-review/

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Have you spent much time in a single wall?

Great tent for some applications, but it wouldn’t be my first choice for where the OP is headed. Think cold, windy, and wet; and then wetter.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I love those biblers. Pre-Black Diamond versions were epic. I am going to give you a different suggestion that is China Made but with extra rope power would be the way I would do it. Browning/Alps has a tent that is called the Glacier Extreme. It is a knock off of the Eureka bombshelter or the AO but it is less money. It has a Fly that is humungous and with extra tiedowns would weather Unimak. I have taken mine( I have two) to the North Slope for Caribou in late November /Early December and have had excellent luck with them dealing with an Arctic Storm. The winds get going faster on Unimak but I think that people underestimate the thickness of the Browning tents fly material. I would get freaking circus or two foot tent stakes and peg that sucker to the ground and I think you would be fine. Browning took that tent and did all of their product testing on Kodiak Island. They price them near 600.00 but you can find them for cheaper.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have and use a Kodiak flex bow a bunch, for camping with my family in areas accessible by wheeled vehicle and not prone to huge winds.

For stuff like the OP is likely to see I’d be wanting some sort of dome with as many stakes and guys as possible. I’ve survived AK peninsula blows in Bombshelters and a Cabelas like 79S recommended. I love my Kodiak but have no illusions that it would have taken a couple days of those kinds of winds.

It can be a bad feeling lying in your bag watching your tent bow and bend and flap and squeal, wondering if it’s going to make it and just what you’re going to do if it doesn’t.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A lot depends on how you tie things off.

Going to play around with my tp the next big blow. I have been in it in some pretty good gusts but not a bit sustained wind.

I’m thinking a dome and a tp. Tp for gear and the nicer days. Dome to survive in if needed. Tp is only 8#.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Calvin

Going to play around with my tp the next big blow. I have been in it in some pretty good gusts but not a bit sustained wind.

I’m thinking a dome and a tp. Tp for gear and the nicer days. Dome to survive in if needed. Tp is only 8#.

This is what we did. Took the titanium stove for the tipi so we could dry things out. We had heavy winds for over 24hr. The next year the backup dome was a Hilleberg Staika. Never needed it but it was there just the same.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Great tent for some applications, but it wouldn’t be my first choice
for where the OP is headed. ..

OP doesnt mention where he's headed in the opening question
.I responded according to what was asked ,nothing more nothing less.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Head to delta around Donnelly dome during moose season set up a tent. You will get a wind storm guaranteed.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Have you spent much time in a single wall?

Great tent for some applications, but it wouldn’t be my first choice for where the OP is headed. Think cold, windy, and wet; and then wetter.

Nothing worse coming back to a tent that is wet and all your [bleep] is wet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by raghorn
I have a artic oven but they are to tall so catch to much wind when it’s down right blowing
You are right in thinking that it needs to be low profile unless you can pitch it in a ditch or next to a bluff for some wind protection

Good info on the AO raghorn, thanks. That's been a dream tent for me in some ways.

My 8x8 XWT has done everything that I could ask for down here. OR coast winds and some high winds near the Snake River but not AK levels.

I only spent May - August in AK, one summer, but when I told the locals that I was living in my tent almost every one of them told me stories of 100 MPH winds. And people literally getting blown away, when their tent got ripped off of the ground with them insideeek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My vote: Pitched our Kifaru tipi in 80mph winds. It was nerve wracking but the shelter took the abuse on & off for hours. I’ve never appreciated the long oval tipi shape with the unique tent peg installation sequence and all the pegs until that day.

We had to take the stove pipe out because the wind worked the chimney more than the tent itself.

I’d rate it the best ‘lightweight’ 4 season shelter ever created…I’m biased though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 02/19/23.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Calvin

This is what we did. Took the titanium stove for the tipi so we could dry things out. We had heavy winds for over 24hr. The next year the backup dome was a Hilleberg Staika. Never needed it but it was there just the same.

Do you bring a cot with your tp? I have a roll a cot but wondering if something new/better/lighter has hit the market.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Springbar Traveler that I spent a day or two in while in the Big Horns in the winter with 40-60mph winds. That tent will give in the wind, but not give way. I've never had any winds affect it. Wind is blowing 25-30 right now, with expected highs of up to 75mph the next day or two. While I'm not out camping in this weather right now, Wyoming winds can get tough. I later bought the Family Camper for more room and it is every bit as good as the Traveler.

Springbar came out with this one this one recently. I bought one but haven't had it out yet. I like the stove jack and the mouse hole for propane or electric if available, and the fact that it has more room for the same floorplan as the Family Camper.

You won't go wrong with a Springbar. All of the others similar are cheap chinese imitations, but if you really want a chinese model, they sell those as well.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
It can be a bad feeling lying in your bag watching your tent bow and bend and flap and squeal, wondering if it’s going to make it and just what you’re going to do if it doesn’t.

I spent time on Afognak with that kind of bowing, bending and flapping. We chose a camp spot in some willows so we were able to shelter ourselves somewhat, plus we could tie off to the thicker willow bases to avoid using stakes. It wasn’t a super high quality tent but we survived. There were a few times the tent sides were flapping against my face, it was bowing so hard.

I guess that is my way of saying there are things a guy can do to minimize issues, but also that non top of the line equipment can be made to work. I think that storm lasted 4 days before a Beaver could come get us.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 3,087 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,968
Posts18,499,277
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.