Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Eric308
Those of us in the reality-based community sometimes struggle to understand the world view of the more "eccentric" members of this forum, but perhaps this new study will shed some light:

https://studyfinds.org/living-in-country-mental-health/

I live in a rural area, but if I don't get out and about with some frequency I do go a little stir crazy. A couple of weeks ago the wife and I caught the traveling production of To Kill a Mockingbird with Richard ("John Boy") Thomas as Atticus Finch. The packed house gave the performance a standing ovation, it was a wonderful experience.

Well, aren’t you cosmopolitan.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by erikj
Damn birds chirping all the time.
Yeah,

meadowlarks are back and singing all the time. Can't even have quiet time while out feeding the flock of 50 screaming pinyon jays that come for the scratch I put out for the quail and juncos. At least those last two are relatively noise free.

But dang, the geese, swans, and cranes.............they can be some noisy SOBs.

Even at night, if it's not the dang hootie owls it's the coyotes makin' a racket.

At least the guy that used to live up the road 1/4 mile with the donkey moved a couple years back. No more listening to that bastid every sunrise. And my rooster died last summer.

Bad news is, the rancher neighbor will be turning part of his herd out on the BLM lease behind our place in a month or two. Then we get to hear them calves bawlin' for their mamas, and mama callin' back even louder.

I sure do miss the quiet of the 'burbs I used to live in. Police, fire, EMS sirens every day and night, the dang PD helicopter flying 100' over the 'hood looking for perps, airliners coming in for a landing at the airport, heavy truck traffic on the 4 lane road down the end of the block, general traffic noise, folks coming and honking the horn in the driveway to get the neighbor's attention, kids makin' noise all the time, dogs barkin' all night.

I sure am depressed out here in the sticks.

For us it's those damned spring peepers, on and on and on and.........

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RJY66
Richard "John Boy Walton" Thomas is not gay unless its come on him lately.

I was referring to the character- - - - -not the actor. John Boy never managed to have a relationship with a female cast member that I can remember.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good job you all have reminded Eric the dickhead how he is valued here. Fine effort couldn't have said or done any better. 3 cheers for the fire. Lol mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Speaking of "mental health care" there's been a successful effort to place mental health counselors in schools. They actually create more mental health problems than they solve.
You could very well be right on this. My late mother-in-law worked as a secretary type person at the local mental health facility. The whole crew that worked with patients and administration with the exception of one black lady were nuts, and two of the men that I know of were homo. Maybe more.
They also have a financial incentive to "find" mental illness in a captive audience.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I strongly suspect the study is flawed. I have been unable to find the full text of their research.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by erikj
Damn birds chirping all the time.
Yeah,

meadowlarks are back and singing all the time. Can't even have quiet time while out feeding the flock of 50 screaming pinyon jays that come for the scratch I put out for the quail and juncos. At least those last two are relatively noise free.

But dang, the geese, swans, and cranes.............they can be some noisy SOBs.

Even at night, if it's not the dang hootie owls it's the coyotes makin' a racket.

At least the guy that used to live up the road 1/4 mile with the donkey moved a couple years back. No more listening to that bastid every sunrise. And my rooster died last summer.

Bad news is, the rancher neighbor will be turning part of his herd out on the BLM lease behind our place in a month or two. Then we get to hear them calves bawlin' for their mamas, and mama callin' back even louder.

I sure do miss the quiet of the 'burbs I used to live in. Police, fire, EMS sirens every day and night, the dang PD helicopter flying 100' over the 'hood looking for perps, airliners coming in for a landing at the airport, heavy truck traffic on the 4 lane road down the end of the block, general traffic noise, folks coming and honking the horn in the driveway to get the neighbor's attention, kids makin' noise all the time, dogs barkin' all night.

I sure am depressed out here in the sticks.

For us it's those damned spring peepers, on and on and on and.........

We've got one, lives under the entry steps. Have heard him a couple of times when it got up into the 40s on sunny days.

Surprised the heck out of us the first spring we were here, thousands of them around the place. In a desert. A high desert, but we average 12" or so of moisture a year. We'll probably have a good crop of tadpoles this spring, as there's so much water around from snow melt and rain on top of clay soils.

Little fuggers everywhere. Climb the windows even

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Drive a fella mental I tell you. Worse than having dang perps trying to look in the windows.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by okie
"Additionally, people living “in the country” displayed lower levels of life satisfaction and less purpose, or meaning in life, than those living in urban areas."

Laying the groundwork that if you want to live "in the country" that you're mentally deficient....
Well, the sons o beeches own guns! That should tell ya they are mentally deficient.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Live on a small farm in rural Oregon but after considering this mental health issue, I am moving to downtown Portland!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
The lunatic commies have commenced culture war on rural America. This is a piece of it.

I wonder if the right will ever acknowledge that we are being warred upon?

LOL
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those of us in the reality-based community sometimes struggle to understand the world view of the more "eccentric" members of this forum, but perhaps this new study will shed some light:

I live in a rural area, but if I don't get out and about with some frequency I do go a little stir crazy. A couple of weeks ago the wife and I caught the traveling production of To Kill a Mockingbird with Richard ("John Boy") Thomas as Atticus Finch. The packed house gave the performance a standing ovation, it was a wonderful experience.
If you get stir crazy rural then as far as I am concerned you do have mental issues.

Anyone that could accept living in an urban setting willfully would have the same mental issues.

There isn't a thing rural that should bother anyone. Its just the way it was intended.

But of course my opinion and it varies from one to the next.

OTOH who will survive a serious issue? 1920s crash. Rural did just fine. Will again when it happens.

There was a song about country boys surviving.. its very true.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Originally Posted by RJY66
Richard "John Boy Walton" Thomas is not gay unless its come on him lately.

I was referring to the character- - - - -not the actor. John Boy never managed to have a relationship with a female cast member that I can remember.

I read the book back in school and he got a sunburn on his ass tagging some gal. I'm not sure why, but your post dredged that up.

Hollywood will screw up every book they do a script on in my opinion. Often times they do it in multiple ways.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based on access to mental health services. Seems to me in many cases if you just leave country folk alone they are fine. They social in their own way and their own time.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a dude looked like Charles Manson step out from behind a tree in front of my truck while I was out shooting in the mountains. Thought he might be hurt so I stopped and cracked the window. Nah, he just started in rantin about why aren't we lettin people across the border, they bein kilt down there by tha cartels. I asked him, "Don't you think it's a little strange stopping my truck in the middle of the woods and rantin about politics with a complete stranger?"

I kept scanning the hillsides expecting an ambush followed by a firefight to the death. Nope, just a 50 year old nutjob still living with his parents in the mountains.

In his case, living out hasn't been good to him.

LOL
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
There are so many factors that go into mental health, and so many variations on rural and urban living that it's impossible to control for them all and make any conclusions on rural vs urban.

Each side thinks the other is crazy for living where they do.

Perspective plays a part.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Had a dude looked like Charles Manson step out from behind a tree in front of my truck while I was out shooting in the mountains. Thought he might be hurt so I stopped and cracked the window. Nah, he just started in rantin about why aren't we lettin people across the border, they bein kilt down there by tha cartels. I asked him, "Don't you think it's a little strange stopping my truck in the middle of the woods and rantin about politics with a complete stranger?

What did he say?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
The Message from this so-called 'study': move into the city-hives and live like unarmed serfs
YUP..... Move into the modern city of the future. Plenty of public transportation so you won't need any type of vehicle. Plenty of government housing just like China. No guns allowed so that there can be "public safety". Everything else you need will be within walking distance. This is being planned today, I forgot the name they gave it but it even has a nice sounding name. Of course, this will all be for the deplorable masses. "Unarmed Serfs" is a very accurate description. Welcome to the brave, new world of the Great Society in the new, fundamentally transformed America.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There's an older guy that moved back near our cabin on a large tract of land in an area with very few neighbors, and none you'd have to have contact with unless you chose too. Talked to him soon after and found out he was a beat cop in D.C. that had retired. His hands literally shook. Few years later ran into him again and no shaking hands. I mentioned that he seemed alot more at ease and peaceful and he joked that it took over a year for his hands to quit shaking.
You keep your urban bullscheit life, but I'll take the solitude of the mountains every second I can get til I retire and we're able to live back there full time away from all the crazy fugks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Enemy.

I'm voting for Biden,
the AR15 is a soulless weapon for feckless people.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two things. No, three.

1) Methodology of the study sucks donkey balls.

2) More than 50% of published, peer reviewed studies in the social sciences can’t be reproduced.

3) Drive through Portland, OR, and tell me again how people have better mental health there than where I live.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (2500HD, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1936M71, 160user, 32 invisible), 12,295 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,234
Posts18,544,203
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.