Home
Those of us in the reality-based community sometimes struggle to understand the world view of the more "eccentric" members of this forum, but perhaps this new study will shed some light:

https://studyfinds.org/living-in-country-mental-health/

I live in a rural area, but if I don't get out and about with some frequency I do go a little stir crazy. A couple of weeks ago the wife and I caught the traveling production of To Kill a Mockingbird with Richard ("John Boy") Thomas as Atticus Finch. The packed house gave the performance a standing ovation, it was a wonderful experience.
Written by somebody in Chicago who sleeps under the bed every night because of all the drive-by shootings in his neighborhood.

If fact, he was probably under the bed when he wrote it.
Yes, rural folks get their heads filled with all sorts of bizarre ideas, like men can't get pregnant and such.
There are so many factors that go into mental health, and so many variations on rural and urban living that it's impossible to control for them all and make any conclusions on rural vs urban.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...9/re-time-for-the-tard-list#Post18223119

No wonder you made the top of the list.
Wasn't John Boy the first closet q u e e r on a TV series? He always acted a little light in the loafers to be part of a backwoods farming family in Appalachia.
Sounds like the key to happiness is living in an apartment in the city, Uber or public transport and grub hub delivery. Where you CAN piss off of your porch, 16 stories above the snap dragons.
Originally Posted by Eric308
Those of us in the reality-based community sometimes struggle to understand the world view of the more "eccentric" members of this forum, but perhaps this new study will shed some light:

I live in a rural area, but if I don't get out and about with some frequency I do go a little stir crazy. A couple of weeks ago the wife and I caught the traveling production of To Kill a Mockingbird with Richard ("John Boy") Thomas as Atticus Finch. The packed house gave the performance a standing ovation, it was a wonderful experience.

That is some impressive virtue signaling. lol I read the book from our library when I was 12 and we had a library in our town of 800 growing up. There has a huge migration out of urban areas by Americans due to onerous taxes, failing dangerous schools, and high crime and a general rot of our culture

Big urban areas are much safer

Mass shootings and other violent crimes only occur in rural areas. Urban dwellers are fine.

Nick
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Wasn't John Boy the first closet q u e e r on a TV series? He always acted a little light in the loafers to be part of a backwoods farming family in Appalachia.
Wasn't the actor who played Grandpa Walton gay, also?
What if one moves to a rural area to get away from the craziness they lived in for years?

IS that a sign of good mental health, or poor?

The schiedt some folks write, and others read, has never failed to amaze me.
remember in the city of Chicago when BLM AND ANTIFA dragged this female police officer in the streets and tried to beat her to death?

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

And a full fledged card carrying bolshevik
OP belongs in a tenement.
Originally Posted by ribka
remember in the city of Chicago when BLM AND ANTIFA dragged this female police officer in the streets and tried to beat her to death?

Jeeze. At what point will a cop draw and let loose into the closest members of the mob attacking him if he doesn't do it that situation?
Ever heard of granges? For example? Dances? Churches?Folks that really grew up rural (generational) know that sense of community has been a thing for as long as there’s been people.

A city bitch that bought a spec home in the “rural” housing development is only going to post from a position of ignorance.
9.5 out of 10 Biden voters HATE rural people.
I call horseshit on that article
All the old families around here are pretty tight. Many are kinfolks. New arrivals, with the exception of a very few, with the 4 acre ranchettes can be some goofy bastids!
They might have included Indian reservations and arctic villages in the rural part of the study. If I was trapped in one of those places I would be depressed, anxious, and suicidal myself.
Damn !! KFWA, ya beat me to it, Horse Schitt Rio7
What I find truly humorous is that folk[like the OP] buy into articles such as the one in the link.

And BTW-someone should let the author know why there is a 'shortage of mental health care' out in the sticks, wasn't needed prior to the influx of mentally unstable people[city folk] moving into those once rural areas.
Originally Posted by Raeford
What I find truly humorous is that folk[like the OP] buy into articles such as the one in the link.

And BTW-someone should let the author know why there is a 'shortage of mental health care' out in the sticks, wasn't needed prior to the influx of mentally unstable people[city folk] moving into those once rural areas.
Speaking of "mental health care" there's been a successful effort to place mental health counselors in schools. They actually create more mental health problems than they solve.
Tell ya what….I’ll just take your word for it. I’m not clicking on that chit.
"Additionally, people living “in the country” displayed lower levels of life satisfaction and less purpose, or meaning in life, than those living in urban areas."

Laying the groundwork that if you want to live "in the country" that you're mentally deficient....

Will "Grandpa Walton" Geer was gay.

Richard "John Boy Walton" Thomas is not gay unless its come on him lately. He has been married twice, to women, and has kids.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Speaking of "mental health care" there's been a successful effort to place mental health counselors in schools. They actually create more mental health problems than they solve.
You could very well be right on this. My late mother-in-law worked as a secretary type person at the local mental health facility. The whole crew that worked with patients and administration with the exception of one black lady were nuts, and two of the men that I know of were homo. Maybe more.
Another cherry picked Meta-Analysis.
Originally Posted by RJY66
Richard "John Boy Walton" Thomas is not gay unless its come on him lately. He has been married twice, to women, and has kids.

Being married with kids doesn't mean a thing.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Darn you guys, now I used to like The Waltons.

This screams butt dart
I didn't click on it but it sounds like it was written about 1903.
Those of us in the reality-based community
Lol

Faqqot.
The Message from this so-called 'study': move into the city-hives and live like unarmed serfs
Damn birds chirping all the time.
Originally Posted by erikj
Yeah,

meadowlarks are back and singing all the time. Can't even have quiet time while out feeding the flock of 50 screaming pinyon jays that come for the scratch I put out for the quail and juncos. At least those last two are relatively noise free.

But dang, the geese, swans, and cranes.............they can be some noisy SOBs.

Even at night, if it's not the dang hootie owls it's the coyotes makin' a racket.

At least the guy that used to live up the road 1/4 mile with the donkey moved a couple years back. No more listening to that bastid every sunrise. And my rooster died last summer.

Bad news is, the rancher neighbor will be turning part of his herd out on the BLM lease behind our place in a month or two. Then we get to hear them calves bawlin' for their mamas, and mama callin' back even louder.

I sure do miss the quiet of the 'burbs I used to live in. Police, fire, EMS sirens every day and night, the dang PD helicopter flying 100' over the 'hood looking for perps, airliners coming in for a landing at the airport, heavy truck traffic on the 4 lane road down the end of the block, general traffic noise, folks coming and honking the horn in the driveway to get the neighbor's attention, kids makin' noise all the time, dogs barkin' all night.

I sure am depressed out here in the sticks.
Well maybe the Elitists should give up their large properties in the country to the peasants then move back to the city.

Richard Thomas is now 72 years old, so I suppose you should no longer call him "John Boy:" instead call him John Geezer. grin

L.W.
The lunatic commies have commenced culture war on rural America. This is a piece of it.

Well, aren’t you cosmopolitan.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Yeah,

meadowlarks are back and singing all the time. Can't even have quiet time while out feeding the flock of 50 screaming pinyon jays that come for the scratch I put out for the quail and juncos. At least those last two are relatively noise free.

Even at night, if it's not the dang hootie owls it's the coyotes makin' a racket.

At least the guy that used to live up the road 1/4 mile with the donkey moved a couple years back. No more listening to that bastid every sunrise. And my rooster died last summer.

Bad news is, the rancher neighbor will be turning part of his herd out on the BLM lease behind our place in a month or two. Then we get to hear them calves bawlin' for their mamas, and mama callin' back even louder.

I sure do miss the quiet of the 'burbs I used to live in. Police, fire, EMS sirens every day and night, the dang PD helicopter flying 100' over the 'hood looking for perps, airliners coming in for a landing at the airport, heavy truck traffic on the 4 lane road down the end of the block, general traffic noise, folks coming and honking the horn in the driveway to get the neighbor's attention, kids makin' noise all the time, dogs barkin' all night.

For us it's those damned spring peepers, on and on and on and.........
Richard "John Boy Walton" Thomas is not gay unless its come on him lately.

I was referring to the character- - - - -not the actor. John Boy never managed to have a relationship with a female cast member that I can remember.
Good job you all have reminded Eric the dickhead how he is valued here. Fine effort couldn't have said or done any better. 3 cheers for the fire. Lol mb
Originally Posted by Hastings
You could very well be right on this. My late mother-in-law worked as a secretary type person at the local mental health facility. The whole crew that worked with patients and administration with the exception of one black lady were nuts, and two of the men that I know of were homo. Maybe more.
They also have a financial incentive to "find" mental illness in a captive audience.
I strongly suspect the study is flawed. I have been unable to find the full text of their research.
Yeah,

For us it's those damned spring peepers, on and on and on and.........

We've got one, lives under the entry steps. Have heard him a couple of times when it got up into the 40s on sunny days.

Surprised the heck out of us the first spring we were here, thousands of them around the place. In a desert. A high desert, but we average 12" or so of moisture a year. We'll probably have a good crop of tadpoles this spring, as there's so much water around from snow melt and rain on top of clay soils.

Little fuggers everywhere. Climb the windows even

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Drive a fella mental I tell you. Worse than having dang perps trying to look in the windows.
Originally Posted by okie
"Additionally, people living “in the country” displayed lower levels of life satisfaction and less purpose, or meaning in life, than those living in urban areas."

Laying the groundwork that if you want to live "in the country" that you're mentally deficient....
Well, the sons o beeches own guns! That should tell ya they are mentally deficient.
Live on a small farm in rural Oregon but after considering this mental health issue, I am moving to downtown Portland!
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
The lunatic commies have commenced culture war on rural America. This is a piece of it.

I wonder if the right will ever acknowledge that we are being warred upon?

If you get stir crazy rural then as far as I am concerned you do have mental issues.

Anyone that could accept living in an urban setting willfully would have the same mental issues.

There isn't a thing rural that should bother anyone. Its just the way it was intended.

But of course my opinion and it varies from one to the next.

OTOH who will survive a serious issue? 1920s crash. Rural did just fine. Will again when it happens.

There was a song about country boys surviving.. its very true.

I was referring to the character- - - - -not the actor. John Boy never managed to have a relationship with a female cast member that I can remember.

I read the book back in school and he got a sunburn on his ass tagging some gal. I'm not sure why, but your post dredged that up.

Hollywood will screw up every book they do a script on in my opinion. Often times they do it in multiple ways.
Based on access to mental health services. Seems to me in many cases if you just leave country folk alone they are fine. They social in their own way and their own time.
Had a dude looked like Charles Manson step out from behind a tree in front of my truck while I was out shooting in the mountains. Thought he might be hurt so I stopped and cracked the window. Nah, he just started in rantin about why aren't we lettin people across the border, they bein kilt down there by tha cartels. I asked him, "Don't you think it's a little strange stopping my truck in the middle of the woods and rantin about politics with a complete stranger?"

I kept scanning the hillsides expecting an ambush followed by a firefight to the death. Nope, just a 50 year old nutjob still living with his parents in the mountains.

In his case, living out hasn't been good to him.
Originally Posted by smokepole
There are so many factors that go into mental health, and so many variations on rural and urban living that it's impossible to control for them all and make any conclusions on rural vs urban.

Each side thinks the other is crazy for living where they do.

Perspective plays a part.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Had a dude looked like Charles Manson step out from behind a tree in front of my truck while I was out shooting in the mountains. Thought he might be hurt so I stopped and cracked the window. Nah, he just started in rantin about why aren't we lettin people across the border, they bein kilt down there by tha cartels. I asked him, "Don't you think it's a little strange stopping my truck in the middle of the woods and rantin about politics with a complete stranger?

What did he say?
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
The Message from this so-called 'study': move into the city-hives and live like unarmed serfs
YUP..... Move into the modern city of the future. Plenty of public transportation so you won't need any type of vehicle. Plenty of government housing just like China. No guns allowed so that there can be "public safety". Everything else you need will be within walking distance. This is being planned today, I forgot the name they gave it but it even has a nice sounding name. Of course, this will all be for the deplorable masses. "Unarmed Serfs" is a very accurate description. Welcome to the brave, new world of the Great Society in the new, fundamentally transformed America.
There's an older guy that moved back near our cabin on a large tract of land in an area with very few neighbors, and none you'd have to have contact with unless you chose too. Talked to him soon after and found out he was a beat cop in D.C. that had retired. His hands literally shook. Few years later ran into him again and no shaking hands. I mentioned that he seemed alot more at ease and peaceful and he joked that it took over a year for his hands to quit shaking.
You keep your urban bullscheit life, but I'll take the solitude of the mountains every second I can get til I retire and we're able to live back there full time away from all the crazy fugks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Enemy.

I'm voting for Biden,
the AR15 is a soulless weapon for feckless people.
Two things. No, three.

1) Methodology of the study sucks donkey balls.

2) More than 50% of published, peer reviewed studies in the social sciences can’t be reproduced.

3) Drive through Portland, OR, and tell me again how people have better mental health there than where I live.
So, that is what’s wrong with me!!
We have been stuck on the same rural property for over thirty years. We have to drive forty miles to buy groceries and often go a week or more without seeing anyone. It doesn't affect me much, but the dog is half crazy. We spent the last three months in Florida, and I have to say, the traffic noise, sirens, street lights, and fireworks, were restful indeed. The ability to walk to the Dollar General and buy milk, while being only slightly inconvenienced by having to walk around some homeless addicts, did wonders for my own mental health. There might be something to it. GD
Hunt Talk strikes again!
No wonder I have been so screwup most my life. Wanting to be free of city A hole
LMAO... Rural living can save anyone's sanity... Liberals need to try it some time..
Originally Posted by smokepole

You're a DUMBASS!

The character got married towards the end of the series
Originally Posted by Redneck
LMAO... Rural living can save anyone's sanity... Liberals need to try it some time..

No! Keep those dumba$$es in the city. Don’t want them messing up my rural life!
Methinks Dr. Atherton is full of schitt. Of course some egghead believes everybody needs access to their professional “help” to stay balanced and happy. What a crock…
Bullshit dime store "science", as fake as it gets. Don't be a guppy.
FUUUUUCK NO THEY DON'T. Sunsabitches need to stay in the city where they belong. It ought to be illegal for them to EVER LEAVE as a matter of fact.
Article is absolutely true. Now go back to the city and be healthier and happier. Absolutely no reason you want to be my neighbor. Now bye.
I read a study a few years ago, that blew me away.

City folks have longer lifespans than people that live in the country, care to guess why? I always thought the opposite and I have lived on acreages in the country a long way away from big cities.

KB
"Their study finds" says it all! whistle
I bought out here in the sticks about 5.5 years ago. Mostly medium to big farms out here. You have to have 5 acres to build a residence out here. The big farm boys are pinching off 5 acres right and left and selling them to people to build on. Houses are going up all over the place.

I hope a lot of people read and believe that article.
Lived 15 years in Wichita, Kansas don't miss the city life at all. I am much happier living rural life again like what was said a few post up the lunatic communist want war with rural American Deplorables they want us all living in big cities stuffed in high rise apartments living like people in China.
I live in a semi-rural little town and spend most of my spare hours up in the mountains or out in the desert. Makes me crazy to even drive through an urban area.

Article is horsechit.
Didn’t read the article. Anyone who believes that is a retard and the OP fits that description. Typical Biden voter.
Originally Posted by plumbum
Had a dude looked like Charles Manson step out from behind a tree in front of my truck while I was out shooting in the mountains. Thought he might be hurt so I stopped and cracked the window. Nah, he just started in rantin about why aren't we lettin people across the border, they bein kilt down there by tha cartels. I asked him, "Don't you think it's a little strange stopping my truck in the middle of the woods and rantin about politics with a complete stranger?

What did he say?

He didn't answer the question. He grinned and started in on another tirade. He was completely looney. I went back up there a couple weeks ago with a buddy and when we came back down out of the mountains one way in and out) he was walking at a fast pace from a house to come down to stop me again. He was waving like a retard hoping I'd stop I guess.

Schizo.
yes he was .and granma was a lesbian in real life also
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

And a democrat (same thing) joined the communist party in 1934 and also a confirmed pole-smoker..

They are there to plant seeds. Nothing more.
Well, then maybe it'll keep them city-slickers in the city..... leaving us 'rural' folks alone.. (wishful).. laugh
I passed one pick-up truck and no cars in 40 miles the other day. The traffic here is getting just too much.
Bull [bleep]! If I had to live in town I'd go nuts.
Wasn’t it last fall that I read where rural voters are a threat to democracy? grin
Will Geere was a card carrying commie, and his boyfriend was a well known pedophile queer. He also played Wyatt Earp in “Winchester 73”! eek
Bet ole Wyatt made a few revolutions in his grave.
Richard Thomas played Hank Jr in “Living Proof” in the early or mid ‘70s. I always thought they shoulda had somebody a little more red blooded.
As to the original topic, whatta buncha Bull schit. mad
I’ve been forced to live in some apartments in big towns, and couldn’t wait to get back home where I know I belong.
Dirt under my feet is as necessary to me as oxygen.

7mm

"Counselors will be available."
I've done both urban and rural. I prefer rural.
I've been to Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, the Twin Cities, and I like paces like Smithville, Arkansas, and the hick town I live three miles from.

Remember when the Republican Party freed the slaves owned by members of the democrat party? Was the audience applauding this well document ed historical fact?
The old joke.
This salesman stops a hillbilly farmer plow with his mule.
Do you know to get to? No. Another places? No,

You don't know much do you! I know on thing, I ain't lost.
Small town living really does fugg up my mental health. Too damn much peace and quiet, I mean the village goes to sleep at 10. The fresh air sucks would rather breathe smog. Crime rate is way too low, would rather have to carry a Glock with 2 extra mags just to mow the lawn which is unnecessary in the concrete jungle. So yes, it just really does fugg you up, I have to worry about moles in the yard instead of cockroaches and rats. The horror.
Originally Posted by Diesel
I passed one pick-up truck and no cars in 40 miles the other day. The traffic here is getting just too much.

My daughter and I were in Manhattan a few weeks ago (she'd always wanted to go) and I stopped on the sidewalk to look at a pickup truck parked next to us. "What's so special about that truck?", she asked. "Only one I've seen in the last 3 days", was my response. It was also strange to be on the phone with my wife at home, where I could hear all the birds in the background, versus the urban noises around us. A surprisingly friendly and interesting place to visit, but I'd not want to live there fulltime. Then again, folks born and raised there likely wouldn't want to live at the end of the country road where I reside.
Not a complete corroboration of the "study," but, living in Montana, I constantly hear we have the highest suicide rate (by state) in the country. This Wiki site (https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/deeplink?popoutv2=1&version=20230303006.08) in 2019 put Wyoming first, followed by Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Maine, so maybe there's something to it.
Bullpucky.

Unless one is city born and raised- then I can see how going rural may seem stressful - no one to "take care" of all one's needs and wants in large part, except one's self.

(OMG- there's a bug!!!! Call an exterminator!).

Getting dragged by my wife to "urban activities" (concerts, plays, "community activities", and foreign vacations) makes me crazy. Just saying. I'd rather go to my remote cabin for a week or two, than Hawaii or such, even tho the "H. and such" are quicker to get to.

I live in a semi-rural (the bears and moose that use my yard think so, anyway) area 8 miles from "town", but even so..... when I step into the fully-loaded boat on the Tanana to go to the Cosna cabin, all this civilized crap just drops away as I go into "bush mode". I can feel it, and welcome it. Very calming, if not always restful.

SHTF out there is dealt with less stress, than the constant SHTF (in whatever degree) in "civilization".

Call me a crazy curmudgeon, and FYVM. smile.

I ain't shooting the black bear that sleeps under the Cosna cabin overhang when we aren't there either. Unless he becomes a problem.

Hardly anyone else has a Watch Bear.
In the sixties and seventies, study after study predicted what would happen to human society as larger and larger masses of people become confined in ever higher concentrations within the cities.

The predictions of mental disorders included increasing rates of homosexuality, ever increasing crime rates, increased rates of domestic violence, increased rates of violent crime, murder and suicide.

Predictions were based of observations of lab rats in crowded confined living.

It is not the people in rural living conditions who predominantly require psychiatric intervention. We just want to be left alone. There's nothing inherently sick about that.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
YUP..... Move into the modern city of the future. Plenty of public transportation so you won't need any type of vehicle. Plenty of government housing just like China. No guns allowed so that there can be "public safety". Everything else you need will be within walking distance. This is being planned today, I forgot the name they gave it but it even has a nice sounding name. Of course, this will all be for the deplorable masses. "Unarmed Serfs" is a very accurate description. Welcome to the brave, new world of the Great Society in the new, fundamentally transformed America.
And you ask: "Why are all the entry/exit doors made of steel?"

So they can be welded quickly, of course.

Please no. Just leave the sick bastards alone. We have far too many of the idiots moving into the country already.
Originally Posted by Stray
Not a complete corroboration of the "study," but, living in Montana, I constantly hear we have the highest suicide rate (by state) in the country. This Wiki site (https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/deeplink?popoutv2=1&version=20230303006.08) in 2019 put Wyoming first, followed by Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Maine, so maybe there's something to it.

Higher indigenous people populations might have something to do with it. Black on black killings in urban centers should maybe be counted as "suicides" also - same root causes, perhaps. "Reservations" come in several forms.
I once worked with a guy,..college educated, had a good job as a landscape architect.

A Possum had fallen into one of his window wells and couldn't get out. The guy didn't know what the possum was. He called one of those pest services to come out and remove it.

The pest service guy came out, stuck a piece of 2X4 into the window well and the Possum climbed out and went on his way,..charged the guy $80.

This was a married man with 2 kids,...been to college,...had a degree.

I don't know how some people survive.
I hate driving in urban traffic. I remember one of our Alaska trips when we were headed toward Los Anchorage from the east and I decided to avoid that and at Palmer cut over to Wasilla on our way to our lodgings up at Willow. The traffic in Wasilla, Alaska was enough to cause psychiatric issues after all our leisurely wanderings about the lightly populated state. I can only imagine what life is like in Anchorage, probably not good.

The next time we took the scenic Fishhook-Willow road from Fishhook Jct. and avoided all that.

I won't even travel up to the NE U.S. because of the mass of humanity even though I would love to see the historical sites and sights.

My community has a population of 15 more or less.
My wife taught Kinders for some years. She always started the year with two mice, M&F. You know the results.... I don't know how much of the lesson stuck with 5 year olds.

Hastings.... some time back ... I think it was Bearhunter... said that , (on a weekend) he was fighting Anchorage traffic - and he was still in Kenai. I know the feeling! smile
I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and I like my more rural life, but I'll admit that I didn't grow up in a household where we fixed/repaired much stuff. It was often hired out. I had to learn a lot by reading and watching Youtube, actually. Stuff like working on water heaters, carburetors, etc. There are a couple of guys in their early 40's (my age) that grew up near my current house and they seemingly know how to do nearly anything/everything. Need something wired or an HVAC problem diagnosed? Need something plumbed or welded? Need some excavator work? They already know how to do most of it, so we trade out work all the time. I generally work on their guns and/or load their ammo.
I heard in the cities men dress like women
I'm on the same page with the study findings – it's clear that living in a rural area can pose challenges for mental health support. Access to resources and assistance can be limited, which is a concern.
one version of living hell to me would be living in a home in a community that has an HOA and I'm required to have a home that looks like everyone other home with some Karen who is perpetually made at the world for not making the cheerleading squad her freshmen year of high school is telling everyone what bush they can grow and what color their mail box has to be. You can't wrench on a car, you can't park a boat, you can't build a pond, their whole existence is being told what they can't do.

Yet more than 50% of ALL homeowners belong to an HOA.

I'd phugging come home and drink every night if that was where I lived.

I appreciate that your first post on here is to go back to a thread that was at the start of the year. Must be passionate about City living.
Originally Posted by ahmadus
I'm on the same page with the study findings – it's clear that living in a rural area can pose challenges for mental health support. Access to resources and assistance can be limited, which is a concern.

Great.

Another Biden voting D.U. fuggstick.
As a 55 yo, lifelong American, that spends 50% of my time in the city (NYC), and 50% of my time in the country (Northern Catskills), I can tell you the quality of life, AND the quality of the people is 100x better in rural areas. There’s more $ to be made in the cities (only reason I’m there), but the filth (both literal garbage, and human garbage) is apparent in the city.

Rural life is NOT for those who want everything done for them (you know, Liberals). At least that’s how I see it.
Most people that think living in the country have moved to cities and the other way around. To each his own.
granpa and granma Walton .both was gay .and lesbian in real life
Since you just got here tell us about yourself if you don't mind a few details. Age, work experience, hobbies, political leanings, gay or straight?

And have you been here previously under another identity?
Had a dude looked like Charles Manson step out from behind a tree in front of my truck while I was out shooting in the mountains. Thought he might be hurt so I stopped and cracked the window. Nah, he just started in rantin about why aren't we lettin people across the border, they bein kilt down there by tha cartels. I asked him, "Don't you think it's a little strange stopping my truck in the middle of the woods and rantin about politics with a complete stranger?"

I kept scanning the hillsides expecting an ambush followed by a firefight to the death. Nope, just a 50 year old nutjob still living with his parents in the mountains.

In his case, living out hasn't been good to him.

Was this in Oregon?

LOL
I just watched a version of All Quiet on the Western Front, a movie shot in 1978. Starring John Boy as the German soldier.
He was really good and it is a great movie. Also with Ernest Borgnine.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Ever heard of granges? For example? Dances? Churches?Folks that really grew up rural (generational) know that sense of community has been a thing for as long as there’s been people.

A city bitch that bought a spec home in the “rural” housing development is only going to post from a position of ignorance.

I have known Gruff 15 years.

And I would concur that rural living can cause severe mental illness.
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to sign up for an account, looking up an old thread, and letting us know what you think about it.

I look forward to your future contributions.
Originally Posted by KFWA
one version of living hell to me would be living in a home in a community that has an HOA and I'm required to have a home that looks like everyone other home with some Karen who is perpetually made at the world for not making the cheerleading squad her freshmen year of high school is telling everyone what bush they can grow and what color their mail box has to be. You can't wrench on a car, you can't park a boat, you can't build a pond, their whole existence is being told what they can't do.

Yet more than 50% of ALL homeowners belong to an HOA.

I'd phugging come home and drink every night if that was where I lived.

I appreciate that your first post on here is to go back to a thread that was at the start of the year. Must be passionate about City living.
It's a nightmare. I did that for three or four years back in the late 1980s. Constant complaints and threats about my "dangerous dogs." Finally, I had my sister (a practicing attorney at the time) write them a letter on her pactice's letterhead, and it stopped.

This brings a few questions to mind
1. Where you live would shed some light for us on your definition of "rural"
2. What is the make up of your "reality based community" and your "struggles" to understand others world view?
3. Your definition of "eccentric member".
4.Finally , just for the record, do you in your non stir crazy moments actually have in your possession anything chambered in "308"? This last one we insist to apply the "renegade rule" to , pics or it ain't so...
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I grew up in a suburban town in freaking ne jersey and even WE had a "grange" in town. Before the internet no one could tell me what the hell a "grange" was, but there it was. Shows. Dance. Bingo. Handt thought of that word in decades. Thanks!

As to the article, as many have indicated already, it is nonsense borne of a scared beta bolshevik.
You mean, "the husband and I".
Originally Posted by okie

This brings a few questions to mind
1. Where you live would shed some light for us on your definition of "rural"
2. What is the make up of your "reality based community" and your "struggles" to understand others world view?
3. Your definition of "eccentric member".
4.Finally , just for the record, do you in your non stir crazy moments actually have in your possession anything chambered in "308"? This last one we insist to apply the "renegade rule" to , pics or it ain't so...

Every line typed by E08 is passive/aggressive while clearly meant to be derogatory at the same time.
This is a joke, right?
I grew up rural. Moved to a city where I spent the majority of my life. Moved back to rural 6 years ago.

It was a mistake to spend the bulk of my life in a city. This is where I belong.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I grew up rural. Moved to a city where I spent the majority of my life. Moved back to rural 6 years ago.

It was a mistake to spend the bulk of my life in a city. This is where I belong.

The study is another where they cherry pick, and manipulate data. It doesn't consider drug overdoses as suicide. Put that in the studies and the study flip flops.
I grew up in the rural south nearest neighbors about 1/2 mile thru the woods. Everyone knew one another kids all rode the same bus K-12. We all hunted the same areas. No one ever stole anything and everyone helped one another, but everyone also minded their own business and stayed to themselves mostly.

I live in a rural area now nearest neighbors are a mile away.
I also work all over the US and sometimes have to stay in large cities like Houston etc. there is no comparison. A person would have to be a complete retard to voluntarily live in a city of any size.

Unless your a moron, think about how many of your problems are self inflicted and how many are because of some idiot around you. I can say when I’m home I am problem free. I can go months without any issues at all. One day in a city or town of any size and your bombarded by stupidity. I say it all the time you want problems add people.

Think about anywhere you’ve ever been and if something went wrong or you had a bad time what caused it? Freakin stupid people.

And if your one of the ones that think otherwise your probably the idiot that caused issues for someone else.

Pussy. Bolshi-pussy I might add.
Who remembers Old Remus' site?

"Avoid crowds."
I'm a convert to rural. When KYHillChick met me, I was wearing 3 piece suits and driving a Buick Regal. In fairly short order, I'd traded the Regal for a pickup truck, acquired a collection of quilted shirts and drove the roads with a dog hanging out every window.

What I can tell you is that mental health problems run rampant in poor rural areas. The government's answer to it is to hand out anti-depressants along with the welfare checks. The other thing I noticed hanging out where 'HillChick grew up was that very few who tried to leave her county ever stayed gone. She was one of the few. Most either never left or left and came back.

Living in a big city takes a certain type. My Grandpa Whitey was the first and only of his clan to make it off the farm. My Dad had 10 years of life on the farm growing up and never went back to it after the Army. If you'd ask them, they'd say I was nuts for moving to a farm, but I've got a bunch of reasons. Just being able to pi$$ off the front porch with nobody complaining is reason enough for me.

The permanent move is now on, now that Mom just passed. She was the only thing keeping me in town. Truth is, if I stay out at the farm alone too long I get a bit squirrely, but its the loneliness and confinement of being stuck in a hunting cabin with no one to talk to. If I have folks around me, I'm fine. A trip into town to shop groceries usually gets me back to normal.
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm a convert to rural. When KYHillChick met me, I was wearing 3 piece suits and driving a Buick Regal. In fairly short order, I'd traded the Regal for a pickup truck, acquired a collection of quilted shirts and drove the roads with a dog hanging out every window.

What I can tell you is that mental health problems run rampant in poor rural areas. The government's answer to it is to hand out anti-depressants along with the welfare checks. The other thing I noticed hanging out where 'HillChick grew up was that very few who tried to leave her county ever stayed gone. She was one of the few. Most either never left or left and came back.

Living in a big city takes a certain type. My Grandpa Whitey was the first and only of his clan to make it off the farm. My Dad had 10 years of life on the farm growing up and never went back to it after the Army. If you'd ask them, they'd say I was nuts for moving to a farm, but I've got a bunch of reasons. Just being able to pi$$ off the front porch with nobody complaining is reason enough for me.

The permanent move is now on, now that Mom just passed. She was the only thing keeping me in town. Truth is, if I stay out at the farm alone too long I get a bit squirrely, but it's the loneliness and confinement of being stuck in a hunting cabin with no one to talk to. If I have folks around me, I'm fine. A trip into town to shop groceries usually gets me back to normal.

You look and behave like a retard.
"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe."
Thomas Jefferson
Bullshit!
Originally Posted by ahmadouche
The OP must live in the bush because he is a retard.
I've lived in the Country my whole life. I have inlaws that live in the city. They don't like coming here {I'm real good with that}. They say there's nothing to do and it's boring. I don't like going there because there's nothing to do, it's boring, it's noisy, it smells bad and there's too much traffic. All those dipshyts do for fun is shopping, go to movies and go out to eat. They think I'm a neanderthal because I hunt and fish. They are some fuucked up crazy communists.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've lived in the Country my whole life. I have inlaws that live in the city. They don't like coming here {I'm real good with that}. They say there's nothing to do and it's boring. I don't like going there because there's nothing to do, it's boring, it's noisy, it smells bad and there's too much traffic. All those dipshyts do for fun is shopping, go to movies and go out to eat. They think I'm a neanderthal because I hunt and fish. They are some fuucked up crazy communists.

I'd love to see this idiot's version of "rural."

LOL
Originally Posted by devnull
This is a joke, right?
The joke is responding to the trolling OP. But it is hard for many to resist. Haha.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I'd love to see this idiot's version of "rural."

LOL
^^^^^^^^^^
I'd love to see this idiot being lowered into the ground in a box. What I'd do on his grave wouldn't pass for flowers.
Tag
I have always lived on a ranch, never have had any desire to live in a town or city of any size, sometimes it's inconvenient to have to drive over a hour to get to town,with a little planning it's not bad. I enjoy the Birds and Critters in my yard being able to hunt and shoot anywhere I choose.-----Rio7
"God Made The Country, And Man Made The Town" William Cowper

A nonsensical douche that posts something like this has Mental Health issues. He backs a Dictator who was never elected.
California is going full bore to hammer the rural folks:

Newscum is probably doing this to comply with Agenda 2030 and their phony sustainability goals. People living in cities are more easily controlled/herded by authorities.
Yep and the main thing about you a ssholes in our cities all you're accustomed to is concrete, car horns, sirens, wops, dagoes, muzzies, cotton pickers, every day shootings, a mayor that don't know who his daddy or mama is, thieving, rapes and killings but you're always trying to tell us country folks how to live! Tell ya what Superman.....you keep your a ss up there in murderville and we'll run our little deal out here and breathe clean air!!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Yep and the main thing about you a ssholes in our cities all you're accustomed to is concrete, car horns, sirens, wops, dagoes, muzzies, cotton pickers, every day shootings, a mayor that don't know who his daddy or mama is, thieving, rapes and killings but you're always trying to tell us country folks how to live! Tell ya what Superman.....you keep your a ss up there in murderville and we'll run our little deal out here and breathe clean air!!

Uh-oh. Looks like the study was accurate.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Bingo. Spot on and excellently said.

Isn't that corksucking eric302 gay also. He's smart though. Any day he's going to tell us how open borders and fentanyl trafficking are great for Amerka.

This is the perfect example of "gaslighting".

Ed
Nothing more pleasant than a Summer evening in the country.

No reason to read the article.
OK, show of hands how many of you did click on a link posted by the same "guy?" that wrote
?

I'm voting for Biden,
the AR15 is a soulless weapon for feckless people.
It’s as simple as people = problems, more people, more problems.
What if one moves to a rural area to get away from the craziness they lived in for years?

IS that a sign of good mental health, or poor?

The schiedt some folks write, and others read, has never failed to amaze me.

Guns n Stuff magazine:

The 30-06 is dead and is being replaced with the B-29. Why not a 50BMG carry pistol? The 25ACP ... the perfect personal carry!

It reaches everywhere.
Nothing but 100% truth EVER follows the words "a new study has found" or "a new study suggests"......
This is a great study that EVERY LIBERAL should pay attention to! Rural living IS NOT FOR YOU if you’re a liberal. It’s terribly quiet and peaceful, fresh air drives you crazy and there’s no rage to be embraced….nature doesn’t care about you and won’t give you a timeout or a second chance. 😂😂
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
This is a great study that EVERY LIBERAL should pay attention to! Rural living IS NOT FOR YOU if you’re a liberal. It’s terribly quiet and peaceful, fresh air drives you crazy and there’s no rage to be embraced….nature doesn’t care about you and won’t give you a timeout or a second chance. 😂😂

^ ^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^ ^

And you can "whisper " to the animals while
they tear your guts out and gnaw your limbs
My neighbors drive me crazy with their mooooing! crazy

I hate my views of the Stillwater Mountains and can't sleep at night with them looming. eek

Quail hunting my small acreage gets me kill-crazy. mad

I get off on abusing my dogs. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I grew up in a small town and I was crazy, as was everybody I Knew.... smile
(((Experts))) say you should move to the city and rent a studio apartment from Mr Nosenberg. You don't need a car you can just rent scooters. Don't need to plant a garden you can buy food at the bodega if you speak Spanish.
“Study finds” is about as indicative of falsity as “experts say”.

Just like good old trust “The Science”
Originally Posted by efw
“Study finds” is about as indicative of falsity as “experts say”.

Just like good old trust “The Science”

Or "It has been peer reviewed". Thats a sure sign it is false.
[bleep] maybe the op was right that's why you best not try that [bleep] in a small town....
The OP is a retard.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Spot on. As mentioned above, setting the stage that if you LIKE living in the country, by default, you are mentally deficient.
What a load of bollocks.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I call horseshit on that article

A good dose of horseshit might fertilize the barren brain of the idiot who wrote it.
It’s not worth the trouble for liberals to move rural. The lack of internet, cell phone and TV alone means that I have to read books to try and identify new species… without the benefit of Google….no soy milk or hemp milk within a 2 hour drive and the closest vegetarian restaurant is hundreds of miles away.

Seriously stay away liberals…you’ll die a slow and painful death without the necessities the cities provide.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
SargeMO & KFWA: I agree with both you's guys!
A larger load of horseshit than that one has seldom seen the light of day!
Laughable lunacy on display.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'm going to call BS on most of this, but it depends on how rural is defined.

Someone from Chicago would consider my present location rural. However, I've also lived in Central NV where the closest MCD's was an hour away and the closest Walmart was three. When I lived out there I tried to make it to "town" (Reno or Vegas) once a month. At my current location, there is no need.
I've live in rural setting for most of my life. I guess I'm too screwed up to change now. Still, the time is coming that I might have to move to town. I don't know if I can do it. GD

Leftard link. You already are and were born a retard. Let me emphasize that.
I guess the O.P. never read the comment section of the article he posted? dumbazz

Typical liberal gaslighting... these people are evil retards
The irony of leftist retards telling us rural people are crazy.... is well crazy... again projection, these people should not be trusted with any authority whatsoever
Originally Posted by irfubar
I guess the O.P. never read the comment section of the article he posted? dumbazz

Typical liberal gaslighting... these people are evil retards
Originally Posted by irfubar
The irony of leftist retards telling us rural people are crazy.... is well crazy... again projection, these people should not be trusted with any authority whatsoever

Upon further reflection, I have to admit I was wrong..... doesn't happen often, but....
Hollywood had it right when they made the movie deliverance, the hills have eyes and countless other shows depicting rural inbred America!!!
So all leftards should take this as a serious warning to stay away from rural America... the cities are where you belong!!!
To further illustrate my point , here is what you will encounter in rural America... terrifying I know...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I read the OP...

It could not be more ignorant on every position it takes.

That article is what many shrinks would call a "Projection'.
I've lived in cities.

I've lived in the country.

Waaaaayyyyy less nuts per square mile in the country..... which is the only relevant metric.
Originally Posted by Springcove
The OP is a retard.

YES !
It, ain't for everybody;

But, like everybody with a brain, we love it !
town and city people think different than us country born , country raised , old country livin gun people think
Originally Posted by pete53
town and city people think different than us country born , country raised , old country livin gun people think
This right here and a hell of lot of them that move to the country just stay townies living in the country.A lot of people that claim to live rural don’t
Yeah, it really gets to you, mentally !!

It's probably why, we all look like retarded, stress merchants !

wink
Those smiles, the happiness of being with the most important people in your life and the love that’s evident in that picture Paul is what liberal nightmares are made of….it obviously belies a deep seated, psychopathic mentality that’s covering the crazy just under the surface. 😉

I have the exact same “problem” here too…..
I will pitch a tent and eat roadkill skunk before I ever live in a big LIB controlled city.
It’s not worth the trouble for liberals to move rural. The lack of internet, cell phone and TV alone means that I have to read books to try and identify new species… without the benefit of Google….no soy milk or hemp milk within a 2 hour drive and the closest vegetarian restaurant is hundreds of miles away.

Seriously stay away liberals…you’ll die a slow and painful death without the necessities the cities provide.

MY GOD!!!

That's a glimpse into H E L L!!!!! shocked eek
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
It, ain't for everybody;

But, like everybody with a brain, we love it !

How do you stand it?

Are there real live wild animals out there...YIKES
Cheers Aces !!

I bet you do too !
Originally Posted by luv2safari

MY GOD!!!

That's a glimpse into H E L L!!!!! shocked eek

Yeah, really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New 2

I had to avert my eyes. The stress overwhelmed me.

Loved the smiles...
I wouldn't move in town much less a big urban area if the house was free, but after 30 years as a game warden I will have to admit there are a lot of crazies out here. Mostly white trash offspring living down dead end roads. We have our share of meth heads, alcoholics, child molesters. I was a rural mail carrier in the 1970s and I got to know there were a lot of neurotic old and middle-age women up and down the roads. A mail carrier back then knew everything about you.

These folks were a minority of the population but still a pretty fair number. I would think the same or worse would be the case of the urban poor.
I know that you guys know how traumatic rural living is and it’s probably part of why I like you guys. I was so bored setting up rifles earlier that I decided to clear my head instead of going “Country Crazy” so I shot 3 different rifles with 2 different loads over the chronograph for accurate dope cards. If I was in the city I could’ve just gone out for a gluten-free muffin and soy milk latte….😂
We live in a very small town that's failed. The State has taken over the charter. Old sewer system is full of holes allowing storm water in and the taxes/fees can't cover the cost. Its rural for NC.....

I've had others tell me I'm not a well person. I don't give a chit what they think.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
How do you stand it?

Are there real live wild animals out there...YIKES

Ya, scary !!

Pretty, too !!

wink
Rural Jefferson, has been a mecca for the 'get away from it all' folks since the mid 60's. There is of course, the full spectrum of 'types'. A lot of good people, but a lot more of folks who merely changed zip codes to enhance the scenery. They never really fit in, many are so smug and elitist, with the pile of money accumulated in the cities they don't want to fit in, and they are expert on every subject related to the construction of their new rural Ranchin' McMansion. I have done dirt work for many, roads, building pads, well sites, power rights of way, ponds and bridges. It's stressful. I want them to be happy with the results, but it's like a genetic trait, they have to ignore recommendations.
I built a guy a road, 10 yrs ago, I suggested a longer road with a switchback, and less than 6% for snow and ice...but he said I just wanted more dozer hours, and insisted on a steep short one. Well, his wife skidded off the road and broke her collarbone and wrecked the Subaru!!(of course)last winter. OK, but the gals down at the bar said he was telling everyone it wasn't her fault, it was that old bastard that built that steep road. You can't win with folks like that. Surprised he hasn't sued me.
Everyone should have the chance to receive timely and effective support, especially in terms of free depression help. However, I also recognize that there are unique perks to rural living. The tranquility and natural beauty are undeniable pluses. Personally, I'm all about the urban hustle and bustle though! The fast pace, social activities, and overall comfort of city life are what I thrive on. To each their own, right?
Right! To each their own, which means pay for your own “free” depression help.
© 24hourcampfire