Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Wasn't John Boy the first closet q u e e r on a TV series? He always acted a little light in the loafers to be part of a backwoods farming family in Appalachia.
Wasn't the actor who played Grandpa Walton gay, also?

And a full fledged card carrying bolshevik

And a democrat (same thing) joined the communist party in 1934 and also a confirmed pole-smoker..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Raeford
What I find truly humorous is that folk[like the OP] buy into articles such as the one in the link.

And BTW-someone should let the author know why there is a 'shortage of mental health care' out in the sticks, wasn't needed prior to the influx of mentally unstable people[city folk] moving into those once rural areas.
Speaking of "mental health care" there's been a successful effort to place mental health counselors in schools. They actually create more mental health problems than they solve.
They are there to plant seeds. Nothing more.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, then maybe it'll keep them city-slickers in the city..... leaving us 'rural' folks alone.. (wishful).. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I passed one pick-up truck and no cars in 40 miles the other day. The traffic here is getting just too much.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bull [bleep]! If I had to live in town I'd go nuts.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wasn’t it last fall that I read where rural voters are a threat to democracy? grin
Will Geere was a card carrying commie, and his boyfriend was a well known pedophile queer. He also played Wyatt Earp in “Winchester 73”! eek
Bet ole Wyatt made a few revolutions in his grave.
Richard Thomas played Hank Jr in “Living Proof” in the early or mid ‘70s. I always thought they shoulda had somebody a little more red blooded.
As to the original topic, whatta buncha Bull schit. mad
I’ve been forced to live in some apartments in big towns, and couldn’t wait to get back home where I know I belong.
Dirt under my feet is as necessary to me as oxygen.

7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Raeford
What I find truly humorous is that folk[like the OP] buy into articles such as the one in the link.

And BTW-someone should let the author know why there is a 'shortage of mental health care' out in the sticks, wasn't needed prior to the influx of mentally unstable people[city folk] moving into those once rural areas.
Speaking of "mental health care" there's been a successful effort to place mental health counselors in schools. They actually create more mental health problems than they solve.

"Counselors will be available."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done both urban and rural. I prefer rural.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've been to Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, the Twin Cities, and I like paces like Smithville, Arkansas, and the hick town I live three miles from.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Eric308
Those of us in the reality-based community sometimes struggle to understand the world view of the more "eccentric" members of this forum, but perhaps this new study will shed some light:

https://studyfinds.org/living-in-country-mental-health/

I live in a rural area, but if I don't get out and about with some frequency I do go a little stir crazy. A couple of weeks ago the wife and I caught the traveling production of To Kill a Mockingbird with Richard ("John Boy") Thomas as Atticus Finch. The packed house gave the performance a standing ovation, it was a wonderful experience.

Remember when the Republican Party freed the slaves owned by members of the democrat party? Was the audience applauding this well document ed historical fact?

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The old joke.
This salesman stops a hillbilly farmer plow with his mule.
Do you know to get to? No. Another places? No,

You don't know much do you! I know on thing, I ain't lost.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Small town living really does fugg up my mental health. Too damn much peace and quiet, I mean the village goes to sleep at 10. The fresh air sucks would rather breathe smog. Crime rate is way too low, would rather have to carry a Glock with 2 extra mags just to mow the lawn which is unnecessary in the concrete jungle. So yes, it just really does fugg you up, I have to worry about moles in the yard instead of cockroaches and rats. The horror.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Diesel
I passed one pick-up truck and no cars in 40 miles the other day. The traffic here is getting just too much.

My daughter and I were in Manhattan a few weeks ago (she'd always wanted to go) and I stopped on the sidewalk to look at a pickup truck parked next to us. "What's so special about that truck?", she asked. "Only one I've seen in the last 3 days", was my response. It was also strange to be on the phone with my wife at home, where I could hear all the birds in the background, versus the urban noises around us. A surprisingly friendly and interesting place to visit, but I'd not want to live there fulltime. Then again, folks born and raised there likely wouldn't want to live at the end of the country road where I reside.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not a complete corroboration of the "study," but, living in Montana, I constantly hear we have the highest suicide rate (by state) in the country. This Wiki site (https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/deeplink?popoutv2=1&version=20230303006.08) in 2019 put Wyoming first, followed by Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Maine, so maybe there's something to it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Bullpucky.

Unless one is city born and raised- then I can see how going rural may seem stressful - no one to "take care" of all one's needs and wants in large part, except one's self.

(OMG- there's a bug!!!! Call an exterminator!).

Getting dragged by my wife to "urban activities" (concerts, plays, "community activities", and foreign vacations) makes me crazy. Just saying. I'd rather go to my remote cabin for a week or two, than Hawaii or such, even tho the "H. and such" are quicker to get to.

I live in a semi-rural (the bears and moose that use my yard think so, anyway) area 8 miles from "town", but even so..... when I step into the fully-loaded boat on the Tanana to go to the Cosna cabin, all this civilized crap just drops away as I go into "bush mode". I can feel it, and welcome it. Very calming, if not always restful.

SHTF out there is dealt with less stress, than the constant SHTF (in whatever degree) in "civilization".

Call me a crazy curmudgeon, and FYVM. smile.

I ain't shooting the black bear that sleeps under the Cosna cabin overhang when we aren't there either. Unless he becomes a problem.

Hardly anyone else has a Watch Bear.

Last edited by las; 03/15/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
In the sixties and seventies, study after study predicted what would happen to human society as larger and larger masses of people become confined in ever higher concentrations within the cities.

The predictions of mental disorders included increasing rates of homosexuality, ever increasing crime rates, increased rates of domestic violence, increased rates of violent crime, murder and suicide.

Predictions were based of observations of lab rats in crowded confined living.

It is not the people in rural living conditions who predominantly require psychiatric intervention. We just want to be left alone. There's nothing inherently sick about that.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
The Message from this so-called 'study': move into the city-hives and live like unarmed serfs
YUP..... Move into the modern city of the future. Plenty of public transportation so you won't need any type of vehicle. Plenty of government housing just like China. No guns allowed so that there can be "public safety". Everything else you need will be within walking distance. This is being planned today, I forgot the name they gave it but it even has a nice sounding name. Of course, this will all be for the deplorable masses. "Unarmed Serfs" is a very accurate description. Welcome to the brave, new world of the Great Society in the new, fundamentally transformed America.
And you ask: "Why are all the entry/exit doors made of steel?"

So they can be welded quickly, of course.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Redneck
LMAO... Rural living can save anyone's sanity... Liberals need to try it some time..

Please no. Just leave the sick bastards alone. We have far too many of the idiots moving into the country already.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Stray
Not a complete corroboration of the "study," but, living in Montana, I constantly hear we have the highest suicide rate (by state) in the country. This Wiki site (https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/deeplink?popoutv2=1&version=20230303006.08) in 2019 put Wyoming first, followed by Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Maine, so maybe there's something to it.

Higher indigenous people populations might have something to do with it. Black on black killings in urban centers should maybe be counted as "suicides" also - same root causes, perhaps. "Reservations" come in several forms.

Last edited by las; 03/15/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I once worked with a guy,..college educated, had a good job as a landscape architect.

A Possum had fallen into one of his window wells and couldn't get out. The guy didn't know what the possum was. He called one of those pest services to come out and remove it.

The pest service guy came out, stuck a piece of 2X4 into the window well and the Possum climbed out and went on his way,..charged the guy $80.

This was a married man with 2 kids,...been to college,...had a degree.

I don't know how some people survive.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,641
Posts18,512,265
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.