-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate driving in urban traffic. I remember one of our Alaska trips when we were headed toward Los Anchorage from the east and I decided to avoid that and at Palmer cut over to Wasilla on our way to our lodgings up at Willow. The traffic in Wasilla, Alaska was enough to cause psychiatric issues after all our leisurely wanderings about the lightly populated state. I can only imagine what life is like in Anchorage, probably not good.

The next time we took the scenic Fishhook-Willow road from Fishhook Jct. and avoided all that.

I won't even travel up to the NE U.S. because of the mass of humanity even though I would love to see the historical sites and sights.

My community has a population of 15 more or less.

Last edited by Hastings; 03/15/23. Reason: spelling correction

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My wife taught Kinders for some years. She always started the year with two mice, M&F. You know the results.... I don't know how much of the lesson stuck with 5 year olds.

Hastings.... some time back ... I think it was Bearhunter... said that , (on a weekend) he was fighting Anchorage traffic - and he was still in Kenai. I know the feeling! smile

Last edited by las; 03/15/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and I like my more rural life, but I'll admit that I didn't grow up in a household where we fixed/repaired much stuff. It was often hired out. I had to learn a lot by reading and watching Youtube, actually. Stuff like working on water heaters, carburetors, etc. There are a couple of guys in their early 40's (my age) that grew up near my current house and they seemingly know how to do nearly anything/everything. Need something wired or an HVAC problem diagnosed? Need something plumbed or welded? Need some excavator work? They already know how to do most of it, so we trade out work all the time. I generally work on their guns and/or load their ammo.

Now with even more aplomb
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I heard in the cities men dress like women

A
A
I'm on the same page with the study findings – it's clear that living in a rural area can pose challenges for mental health support. Access to resources and assistance can be limited, which is a concern.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
one version of living hell to me would be living in a home in a community that has an HOA and I'm required to have a home that looks like everyone other home with some Karen who is perpetually made at the world for not making the cheerleading squad her freshmen year of high school is telling everyone what bush they can grow and what color their mail box has to be. You can't wrench on a car, you can't park a boat, you can't build a pond, their whole existence is being told what they can't do.

Yet more than 50% of ALL homeowners belong to an HOA.

I'd phugging come home and drink every night if that was where I lived.

I appreciate that your first post on here is to go back to a thread that was at the start of the year. Must be passionate about City living.

Last edited by KFWA; 08/30/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ahmadus
I'm on the same page with the study findings – it's clear that living in a rural area can pose challenges for mental health support. Access to resources and assistance can be limited, which is a concern.

Great.

Another Biden voting D.U. fuggstick.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As a 55 yo, lifelong American, that spends 50% of my time in the city (NYC), and 50% of my time in the country (Northern Catskills), I can tell you the quality of life, AND the quality of the people is 100x better in rural areas. There’s more $ to be made in the cities (only reason I’m there), but the filth (both literal garbage, and human garbage) is apparent in the city.

Rural life is NOT for those who want everything done for them (you know, Liberals). At least that’s how I see it.

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most people that think living in the country have moved to cities and the other way around. To each his own.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Wasn't John Boy the first closet q u e e r on a TV series? He always acted a little light in the loafers to be part of a backwoods farming family in Appalachia.
Wasn't the actor who played Grandpa Walton gay, also?
granpa and granma Walton .both was gay .and lesbian in real life

Last edited by rem shooter; 08/30/23.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since you just got here tell us about yourself if you don't mind a few details. Age, work experience, hobbies, political leanings, gay or straight?

And have you been here previously under another identity?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Had a dude looked like Charles Manson step out from behind a tree in front of my truck while I was out shooting in the mountains. Thought he might be hurt so I stopped and cracked the window. Nah, he just started in rantin about why aren't we lettin people across the border, they bein kilt down there by tha cartels. I asked him, "Don't you think it's a little strange stopping my truck in the middle of the woods and rantin about politics with a complete stranger?"

I kept scanning the hillsides expecting an ambush followed by a firefight to the death. Nope, just a 50 year old nutjob still living with his parents in the mountains.

In his case, living out hasn't been good to him.

Was this in Oregon?

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just watched a version of All Quiet on the Western Front, a movie shot in 1978. Starring John Boy as the German soldier.
He was really good and it is a great movie. Also with Ernest Borgnine.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Ever heard of granges? For example? Dances? Churches?Folks that really grew up rural (generational) know that sense of community has been a thing for as long as there’s been people.

A city bitch that bought a spec home in the “rural” housing development is only going to post from a position of ignorance.

I have known Gruff 15 years.

And I would concur that rural living can cause severe mental illness.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to sign up for an account, looking up an old thread, and letting us know what you think about it.

I look forward to your future contributions.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
one version of living hell to me would be living in a home in a community that has an HOA and I'm required to have a home that looks like everyone other home with some Karen who is perpetually made at the world for not making the cheerleading squad her freshmen year of high school is telling everyone what bush they can grow and what color their mail box has to be. You can't wrench on a car, you can't park a boat, you can't build a pond, their whole existence is being told what they can't do.

Yet more than 50% of ALL homeowners belong to an HOA.

I'd phugging come home and drink every night if that was where I lived.

I appreciate that your first post on here is to go back to a thread that was at the start of the year. Must be passionate about City living.
It's a nightmare. I did that for three or four years back in the late 1980s. Constant complaints and threats about my "dangerous dogs." Finally, I had my sister (a practicing attorney at the time) write them a letter on her pactice's letterhead, and it stopped.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Eric308
Those of us in the reality-based community sometimes struggle to understand the world view of the more "eccentric" members of this forum, but perhaps this new study will shed some light:

https://studyfinds.org/living-in-country-mental-health/

I live in a rural area, but if I don't get out and about with some frequency I do go a little stir crazy. A couple of weeks ago the wife and I caught the traveling production of To Kill a Mockingbird with Richard ("John Boy") Thomas as Atticus Finch. The packed house gave the performance a standing ovation, it was a wonderful experience.

This brings a few questions to mind
1. Where you live would shed some light for us on your definition of "rural"
2. What is the make up of your "reality based community" and your "struggles" to understand others world view?
3. Your definition of "eccentric member".
4.Finally , just for the record, do you in your non stir crazy moments actually have in your possession anything chambered in "308"? This last one we insist to apply the "renegade rule" to , pics or it ain't so...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Ever heard of granges? For example? Dances? Churches?Folks that really grew up rural (generational) know that sense of community has been a thing for as long as there’s been people.

A city bitch that bought a spec home in the “rural” housing development is only going to post from a position of ignorance.

I grew up in a suburban town in freaking ne jersey and even WE had a "grange" in town. Before the internet no one could tell me what the hell a "grange" was, but there it was. Shows. Dance. Bingo. Handt thought of that word in decades. Thanks!

As to the article, as many have indicated already, it is nonsense borne of a scared beta bolshevik.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You mean, "the husband and I".

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by Eric308
Those of us in the reality-based community sometimes struggle to understand the world view of the more "eccentric" members of this forum, but perhaps this new study will shed some light:

https://studyfinds.org/living-in-country-mental-health/

I live in a rural area, but if I don't get out and about with some frequency I do go a little stir crazy. A couple of weeks ago the wife and I caught the traveling production of To Kill a Mockingbird with Richard ("John Boy") Thomas as Atticus Finch. The packed house gave the performance a standing ovation, it was a wonderful experience.

This brings a few questions to mind
1. Where you live would shed some light for us on your definition of "rural"
2. What is the make up of your "reality based community" and your "struggles" to understand others world view?
3. Your definition of "eccentric member".
4.Finally , just for the record, do you in your non stir crazy moments actually have in your possession anything chambered in "308"? This last one we insist to apply the "renegade rule" to , pics or it ain't so...

Every line typed by E08 is passive/aggressive while clearly meant to be derogatory at the same time.

FJB & FJT
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (1lesfox, 1936M71, 257 mag, 160user, 2500HD, 21, 28 invisible), 12,388 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,232
Posts18,544,173
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.