Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine was a 64 Dodge Polara 500, 383, 4 speed with Hurst shifter. My one and only Dodge. Wife was driving a 65 Mustang GT, 289 4 speed, when we met. It would outrun just about everything on the road, just got too light at top speed for liking.

Last edited by JamesJr; 04/11/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have discussed it before, but you all racing the P-ville drags on the downlow
is hilarious.

To the uninformed,
The P-ville Dragstrip had a Christmas tree.
The red light at the intersection of 2 state roads.
The strip was a straight stretch.
7mm's parents could hear the races, they darn near could see the strip
from their windows.

Was an amazing time and place looking back.
It wasn't just an impromptu pecker measuring contest between two
Rednecks in clapped out Vegas and Pintos.
There were times cars showed up
on trailers. Serious cars.
A lot of fast iron was from there in town too.

I was too young to be involved, but we used to drive through during the races.
Dad would laugh as we turned and headed down the strip in our 79 Impala.
In the 60s he had a 389 Tri-power 4-speed car he ran there on occasion.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
This^^^ one of the sleepers in the day. And actually, available in a plain Jane sedan body with no fancy molding or SS emblems.

The 65 Malibu available equipped this was as well, although heavier.

Perfect analogy......giant killers. Other brands had sleepers as well I'm sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, Dad often talks about that car.
It didn't work great as original. A local who built racecars swapped cams and
got the carbs tuned and linked right, after that it was quick.

Dad traded it on something, the new owner was racing it and hit a bridge.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
1966/67 Chevy II with 350 hp. 327" V-8, muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt posi. Giant killer.
That's the car my dad had, he said it was fast!!! , he was in the air force and was stationed at Travis air base in fairfield .ca, The first week he was there a 69 camero challenged him to race, he beat him three out of three and the passenger yelled ,you just beat the fastest car in town. My dad replied, he's not the fastest anymore!! He said that car was a sleeper and was fast,fast!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not a bad list. I knew one of the guys who bought an L88 Corvette. He eventually crashed the car racing and broke his back. Parapalegic after that. He offered me the 3x2 intake off of an L89 for $100 one day. I didn’t want to screw around with three carbs so I took the Holly Strip dominator instead. Boy, if I could do that one over! The Holley intake and 850 double pumper is still on still on my vette.

Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
1966/67 Chevy II with 350 hp. 327" V-8, muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt posi. Giant killer.

Girl down the street had one of those. That 327 had a set of ported fuelie heads with a big solid lifter cam and a high stall Powerglide. She was running in the mid-10s on slicks back in the mid-80s. Fastest street car in town.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, I’ve seen some serious money change hands from time to time.
Probably why I refuse to watch that show on Discovery Channel. I know better.
You don’t bet what you can’t pay, and nobody’s gonna spend thousands on a drag car and race someone they don’t know for pink slips. At least nobody in their right mind!
I’ve seen some honest to god 12 second street cars, and I’ve seen unlicensed racecars trailered in. They didn’t get unloaded unless there was hundreds of $ bet, but I’ve never seen a car change hands after a race.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Very fun and interesting thread. Brought back memories.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dave spent many Saturdays under that Le Mans, fixing what he tore up Friday night! grin At that time the Summer Nationals weren’t watched by the cops as hard. But they did follow him home to ticket him for the exhaust pipes once and the rear height another time. Let’s just say the cops knew him..
We learned to be extremely careful, but the cops learned to be extremely sneaky! grin
And like I said, I didn’t push the limits with The Old Man. We had promised ourselves not to, and as I said, everybody knew Me also knew Dad! (including the cops)
I mostly went to Osterburg or Windber if I had to race. But somebody had to talk a lot of crap to get me cheesed off, and usually I played it safe. Besides that my younger brother was always around, and I was around for him.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Like I said before, the local cops would cruise through and once in a while run somebody off so they didn’t get busted. cool
If bust were made, they brought in cops from outta town undercover. I dodged a bullet one night. I was flagging, which is the same fine and loss of license as racing. Luckily I’d left before the bust, and nobody ratted me out.
Most of the time, we just bench raced and drank a little beer.
A bunch of us would caravan down to Mason Dixon to bracket race on three day weekends. We’d race and camp out. Usually the guys that tailored their cars ended up driving them home, because someone that drove broke something. frown
Tom Fleegle owned the gas station there, and he always told the cops to leave us alone. Tom told me that he slept better knowing we were around, because if somebody caused damage, the word got back to him and whoever the idiot was paid up.
After I’d left for basic, some [bleep] from outta town broke some windows and threw bottles through the Mobile sign. Nobody knew who it was, and the “pits” became off limits. mad
If that hadn’t happened and Fleegles still owned the station, who knows? Maybe we’d still be having the Nationals! confused
7mm

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Give me a 1973 Pontiac Trans-am SD455. Had the opportunity to buy a low mileage one in 1975 but since I was only 17 could not get my father to ok the sale. Looking back that probably was a good thing, but still I dream about that car to this day. My cousin had a 69 GTO Judge that he let me drive when ever I wanted to. Thing about that car was it had 4:11s in the rear end so you could drive it in third gear in town or on the highway. First was so low that as soon as you let the clutch out you needed to shift and when you shifted into fourth which I only did once you were going really fast.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Don’t forget the car that started the true muscle car era, been in my garage now for over 52 years…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have always thought that was pretty darn cool you’ve had this car all these years.

Black Cows Matter!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The box square Mopars always worked for me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll go with the ones I've owned. 63 Impala SS409 425HP (Z11). Three GTO;s 64 389, 65 389 TriPower, 67 389, Two Olds 442's one a 455 Hurst Olds. 69 Chevelle 396 375HP. One odd ball, A Chrysler 62 300 with a 416 wedge two four barrels. Basically a letter car without the letter. Times of my youth, wish I still had any of them now,,

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is that the 340?!! Those things are great!!!
My buddy had one that was warmed up some. On slicks and with the headers uncapped it would run low 13s on the quarter.
What’s the story on the Mach 1? You holding out on us?
7mm

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"Don’t forget the car that started the true muscle car era, been in my garage now for over 52 years…"

Next time, why don't you be extra helpful and actually tell us what make, model, and year that might be.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 04/11/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
"Don’t forget the car that started the true muscle car era, been in my garage now for over 52 years…"

Next time, why don't you be extra helpful and actually tell us what make, model, and year that might be.

Tony

You’re not a car guy are you.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BIL has a '69 camero coupe w/396, dont remember if it's auto or 4 speed. Got a '70 chevelle 454 4 speed. Before he got it, it went thru Barrett Jackson Auction in Scottsdale. He bought the car in Ms. and it's a show car. And lastly, he's got an all original small block Z28. Not sure of the year, but it's early 70's. This is a local car he found about 2 or 3 years ago. It's been in a garage for decades.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Don’t forget the car that started the true muscle car era, been in my garage now for over 52 years…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

389 4bbl or tri power?. Auto or stick?

Is your car a super dark blue or is it black. It looks blue in the pic.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I miss my Super Bee.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,869
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.