-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It depends how much time you have, you could sell on GunBroker a few at a time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Uncle sold all his with an auctioneer that did an online auction. Brought very high prices.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jerryv
The local auctioneer is probably the best option IF, and that is a big IF, he is experienced and good at taking quality pictures and adding some description. Good quality pictures can easily add 50% to the selling prices in an online auction. With 200 guns a live auction could draw a big crowd at the right time also, but no one seems to do that anymore.

Jerry

Does the local auctioneer have national or international exposure?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure if the responses are differentiating between live auctions and online auction houses like gunbroker.com and gunsinternational.com . I've bought several guns through auctionzip.com, wehrlys gun auction, and several others. Their fees vary quite a bit so you have to pay attention but most charge about 10-15% sellers fee and about the same buyers fee on top of the final sale price. However, these auctions seem to get very good prices for the guns an release you from any involvement in the sale other than dropping off the guns and receiving the payment minus the fees. Most of them also advertise, take very good pictures for the sale catalogs, an arrange the shipping and contact with the buyers.

Do a google for gun auctions to see if any of them are relatively close by and initiate a conversation...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
I would make a detailed list of the firearms, their condition, extras etc. then I would assign a high value and low value to each. After that start shopping it to some gun shops and auction houses.
First person I would contact is Mark Blote (First Stop Gun in Rapid City, South Dakota).

Assuming you're the administrator makes me assume you need to get fair value for them and so some due diligence is probably required.

I might consider pulling out the high dollar firearms and shopping both high dollar and low dollar separately.

I would call Mark, too. I think he would be a great asset and would give you good advice.

Mike
IC B2

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know the guy

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I don't know the guy

Mark Blote is an honest guy and very knowledgeable about firearms too. I have dealt with him for 23 years. Give him a call 605-341-5211.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mark is good people. Always enjoy dealing with him.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Worth a shot to contact LeRoy Merz in Fergus Falls, MN. He buys collections, especially antique & collectible firearms.
His website is www.MerzAntique.com.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Interesting thoughts.

Do you think that local auctions find the top of the market routinely? Or do the national auctions simply create a higher market and keep more of it for themselves?
Assume that national auctioneers have high travel costs that they need to cover. Or they outsource to locals as agents for...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hopefully, you have a local auctioneer who has a solid reputation and strong experience selling guns. If he gets the word out, you will still get a good price on all of them. I've gone that route and have been very pleased, though i didn't sell near that many or that collectible.

Good luck.

Last edited by bpas105; 04/19/23. Reason: Typo
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Buyers premiums are such a rip off, I won't bid on an item if they have a buyers charge

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I don’t believe the buyers premium comes out of the 20% the auction house charges, correct? Meaning, if the auction ends at 5K, the estate gets 4K, the buyer pays 5850?

For some of the more desirable items, I think the national exposure from one of the reputable auction houses would bring top dollar - and probably more than make up for the fees.

But the buyers premium affects what the buyer will pay. So it impacts your return.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"Local auctioneer" with a huge caveat.

Around here there are a few auctioneers that have a lot of experience selling firearms. They list online and doadecent job of exposing their sales.

I would see if there was a local auctioneer that has his poop together and has the experience. Demand one with a good internet presentation. Preferably not on proxibid,because that is a high premium site. Pay attention to sellers and buyers premium. Lowest isn't necessarily the best but the best service for the expense is what you're looking for.

If you have a few pieces that are really high end, I would separate them out and try listing them at gunbroker and armslist.

The national outfits may get great exposure and bring top $ for the real gems, but man do you pay and I cannot see it is worth it when you pencil it out.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am going to make up numbers. If a local or national auctioneer sells something for $1000 and gets 15% commission and pays by a check do you not have to pay 23% pay on the "income"? So you end up with $850 in pocket minus income tax (20 some percent). $800 cash, under the table on a $1000 item seems like a good deal in my book.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Average guns Remvagchester bring outstanding money at auctions here.

Sako and up can sell a little lower than they should. Good shotguns, Beretta autos and up, sell low also. Overall, a big auction brings out a huge crowd and everything goes too high to make me a buyer. Especially ammo. Even in times of plenty,
I've seen guys pay more for 15 30-06 Corelocks than a new box costs at Walmart.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
A friend does this for a living he charges 12% , he lists it on gun broker and guns international simultaneously.

You ship them to him or drop them off .

That’s what Barry Browning of Shooting Investments, Raleigh, NC does and charges. Might be worth renting a truck and hauling them to such a dealer.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
A friend does this for a living he charges 12% , he lists it on gun broker and guns international simultaneously.

You ship them to him or drop them off .
12% does not begin to cover Gunbroker...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I don’t believe the buyers premium comes out of the 20% the auction house charges, correct? Meaning, if the auction ends at 5K, the estate gets 4K, the buyer pays 5850?

For some of the more desirable items, I think the national exposure from one of the reputable auction houses would bring top dollar - and probably more than make up for the fees.

But the buyers premium affects what the buyer will pay. So it impacts your return.
If only obviously!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What about one of the GunBroker auction facilitators, like lock stock and barrel?
Look at what they really charge and it will gag you...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (160user, 2500HD, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 23 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,634
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.