Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
TRH I never said squat about keltecs that was Bristoes comment. Mb
You're imagining things. LOL. grin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would rather have a good wheel gun that some of the two for a dollar autos I’ve seen.
6 that will instead of 17 that might. Hasbeen

Last edited by hasbeen1945; 05/10/23.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have killed 3 cow elk and about a dozen mule deer with a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Mag. I would say such a rig is still viable.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'm also a fan of walnut and steel lever rifles. But a plastic Kel-Tec SU-16 holding a 30 round magazine is never far away.
You're lucky to have one of those that works. Cool guns, but they are hit and miss on whether you get one that works right.

I've heard that some of them have ejection problems. I've also heard that a lot of them don't. Mine works. In any event, extraction/ejection if a fairly easy thing to remedy on most autoloading rifles. Most times it can be traced to the extractor. The Kel-Tec SU-16 uses an AR-15 extractor. In fact, the entire bolt face is identical to that on an AR-15. So if it ever acts up there's parts everywhere.

I wouldn't expect it to be durable enough to carry into battle. But it's a fairly handy lightweight piston operated auto loading rifle for general purpose use.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I "like" revolvers better than autos. That said, if I am out and about carrying concealed, which I usually am when out and about, I have my 365 IWB. It's much easier to conceal, has a lot of shots and a lot more in my pocket, and I can shoot it very well a lot more easily than I can a revolver double action.

Any good, modern auto is completely reliable if it's kept clean and lubed, fed the right ammo, and maintained. Maintained, means shooting it enough to be aware of any little warning signs that something needs attention. The same can be said for a revolver. There are as many things that can knock a revolver out of commission as there are an autopistol, maybe more. If there's anything that stop an auto that a revolver is immune to it's a really bad grip. On the other hand, if you have a really bad grip on a revolver you might not even get off one shot and if you do, you might not hit anything.

In the final analysis, it really doesn't matter what you carry. If you shoot it enough to be proficient with it and have the will to use it decisively when called upon to do so, you're good to go. If you're one of the guys who carries a gun, seldom shoots it, but is hell on the keyboard, well....

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Masaad Ayoob is a competition shooter that happens to have a badge. Lots of well-rehearsed, commonly accepted rhetoric.

Carry something that is reliable, and you can hit with under duress.

"everyone's got a plan until they are hit" Mike Tyson

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Watched the video with hope that hairpiece would fly off. Disappointed!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The Army made all of us aviators qualify annually at the range. This day there was a mix of 38 revolvers and 1911s. To my surprise there were several malfunctions with the wheel guns but none with the 1911s. I don't remember if the revolvers were S&W or Colt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'll always have a use for a J frame

LOL.

You would.

Women everywhere use those.

You would know about that

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hooker22
The Army made all of us aviators qualify annually at the range. This day there was a mix of 38 revolvers and 1911s. To my surprise there were several malfunctions with the wheel guns but none with the 1911s. I don't remember if the revolvers were S&W or Colt.
Air Force issued the S&W Combat Masterpiece.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by cra1948
I "like" revolvers better than autos. That said, if I am out and about carrying concealed, which I usually am when out and about, I have my 365 IWB. It's much easier to conceal, has a lot of shots and a lot more in my pocket, and I can shoot it very well a lot more easily than I can a revolver double action.

Any good, modern auto is completely reliable if it's kept clean and lubed, fed the right ammo, and maintained. Maintained, means shooting it enough to be aware of any little warning signs that something needs attention. The same can be said for a revolver. There are as many things that can knock a revolver out of commission as there are an autopistol, maybe more. If there's anything that stop an auto that a revolver is immune to it's a really bad grip. On the other hand, if you have a really bad grip on a revolver you might not even get off one shot and if you do, you might not hit anything.

In the final analysis, it really doesn't matter what you carry. If you shoot it enough to be proficient with it and have the will to use it decisively when called upon to do so, you're good to go. If you're one of the guys who carries a gun, seldom shoots it, but is hell on the keyboard, well....

I've been through a few handguns for concealed carry. At one point I was even considering an IWB holster for a 4" Model 10. I recently got a Glock G43 for CCW. I won't be replacing it any time soon.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
better question: Is Mas Ayoob still relevant.

The old timer has a lot of gun knowledge but beware, he's always trying to sell something. He steered me wrong twice years ago and I realized he will give endorsements probably to anyone if there is coin involved, regardless of the POS he endorses.

MAGA!

"an armed society is a polite society"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
While I like my wheel guns - mainly for hunting and fun shooting, my semi-autos are the go to for CPL.

That FBI shootout in ‘86 pretty much sealed that decision for me. One handed reloads are much easier and faster, plus higher capacity. To each his own.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ok, I’ll channel Flave, even though I like revolvers and agree they are relevant.

“He’s an Idiot.”

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
You might only have 6 shots but it only takes 1, best to train until you only need 1 and save 5 if there are others who need one too. They also still make speed loaders. If you don't train to one and done level it might take everyone in the mag as well as the backup mag. Obvious Dan allready knows that. skills Trump high cap every time. Way I see it. Mb

Shoot one and save five? Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. 😳

Still, a guy with a 4 inch Model 66 doesn’t give up much anywhere. He loses a bit of ease of carrying concealed, I guess. Actually, my only revolvers right now are 22’s. I think I need to get a .357, just on general principles.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I didn't need to watch Mas to form an opinion. A good revolver in the hands of a person proficient with one is a formidable weapon........no debate.

It's not the only game in town, but why not cross train with all you have a chance to? Variety is not only the spice of life, it can be life saving as well.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I carry both. Revolver for the woods, semi auto for the street.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My Dad would sometimes compete against autos with his Colt Python shooting master class and would consistently place at the top in matches, winning sometimes.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am fortunate enough to own a few pistols. Where I go dictates what I carry. Any place risky gets the G20. If I can't get it done with that thing, I won't be the only guest of honor at the funeral home. I really just want to live someplace where I don't even have to worry about it to be honest. This country has turned to schit. People don't value a damned thing anymore. Life? Idiots think it is a video game.

-Piss into the wind.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 56 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,622
Posts18,512,002
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.