Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Nothing but sensible design with ballistics in mind !:>)
I do use Barnes 150 TSX'S in my .303 now , but only because my wife found a few bits of lead in the ground meat that we missed one year , otherwise I would still be shooting 180 Saber Tips or 215 KKSP'S
Oh, and that moose went about 10 feet! LOL
Cat

I think that "sensible design" sums it up well. You and the bullet did the job.

Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I'm not in Canada, but back in the early '90s, an ammo dealer in Georgia was blowing out large quantities of late production Imperial ammo. I bought a lifetime supply (for me) of .38-55. This stuff is rated at 1600 fps, considerably hotter than the watered down Winchester load. I've killed a couple deer with it, needless to say, it works. I also have one box of Imperial .25/35 Win that I need to put to use on deer.

Congratulations on the close out find. Imperial was always a solid choice. It was a sad day when they decided to stop production. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.[/quote]
Imperial was always a solid choice. It was a sad day when they decided to stop production. frown[/quote]
Yes, sadly, the Amunition division of C.I.L. was not a separate company, but an entity controlled by bean counters who would rather keep sinking money into assets like paint and chemicals than keep promoting advancing the Canadian Shooting Sports .
When they sold the assets to IVI, the main concentration was on military ammo and their civilian stuff suffered .
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a kid at the Pacific National Exhibition , the Vancouver fair, I picked up some ammo pamphlets . I was impressed by the Imperial brand 303 velocities . Almost 30-06.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Imperial was always a solid choice. It was a sad day when they decided to stop production. frown

Yes, sadly, the Amunition division of C.I.L. was not a separate company, but an entity controlled by bean counters who would rather keep sinking money into assets like paint and chemicals than keep promoting advancing the Canadian Shooting Sports .
When they sold the assets to IVI, the main concentration was on military ammo and their civilian stuff suffered .
Cat

Yes. Being businessmen, and seeing how FACs and firearms legislation was going, I guess they jumped ship. frown

Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
As a kid at the Pacific National Exhibition , the Vancouver fair, I picked up some ammo pamphlets . I was impressed by the Imperial brand 303 velocities . Almost 30-06.

I don't know if all the velocities listed were accurate, but I do know that getting out of ammunition production was a huge loss for us.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The velocities may have been accurate in their pressure guns, and certainly the advertised 150 grain
303 velocity of 2720FPS could be obtained with hand loads, but 3070 FPS with a 175 grain SP out of a 7 mag- even with a 26" barrel??
This is right out of their 1972 pamphlet.
Cat

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And you call yourself a Canadian hunter? smile Just kidding. I pored over those centerfire ammo brochures as a kid, especially those oddball cartridges. Yes, Kling-Kor Soft Point.

Yes, they work.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by grouseman
Yes, Kling-Kor Soft Point.

Yes, they work.
Interesting thing about those staked bullets, a few times over the years, I have recovered the odd 215 and 180 grain C.I.L. bullet from animals, and when they broke up, the bottom half of the bullet ( just behind the stakes) stayed intact , something lie a Partition, but unlike a Partition which drilled on through , the back half stayed in the critter.
Now, some people would call that a case of bullet failure, but in each case, the animal went down with one bullet and never went past 50m feet.
Cat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are a few C.I.L. bullets, a KKSP, Saber Tip, and a CPE ( controlled point expanding)
The Saber Tip precluded the Nosler Ballistic Tip BTW, but I am not sure about the Remington Bronze Point/CPE relationship.
Cat

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just for clarification, I believe the one on the right was called copper point expanding. I shot my first deer at 15 with a long branch number 4 mk1 303 with the 180 gr KKSP.. also my first moose. It was very accurate. particularly with those bullets. around 1 1/2 inch with the peep sight. Others were more like 2 1/2.. Miss those days and hunts.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The velocities may have been accurate in their pressure guns, and certainly the advertised 150 grain
303 velocity of 2720FPS could be obtained with hand loads, but 3070 FPS with a 175 grain SP out of a 7 mag- even with a 26" barrel??
Cat

CAT, if a guy goes back and looks at a Remington catalog from the 60's you will see they also said 175's were 3070 fps in a 7mm mag. Seems to me they all had an agreement on velocities. If a guy sectioned that cpe bullet I'd bet you would find out in hurry it is a Bronze point expanding. mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rbell
Just for clarification, I believe the one on the right was called copper point expanding.

Yeah totally correct, dunno why I stated "controlled point"!
Cat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Cat

CAT, if a guy goes back and looks at a Remington catalog from the 60's you will see they also said 175's were 3070 fps in a 7mm mag. Seems to me they all had an agreement on velocities. If a guy sectioned that cpe bullet I'd bet you would find out in hurry it is a Bronze point expanding. mb
No idea who came out with it first Magnum Bob, I do know there was a dust up with another company that C.I.L. filed a lawsuit with because of their Saber Tip being copied .
One of my dad's colleagues is still living a d he used to work for Remington, I think I will ask him if he can shed some light on that .
C.I.L. never made any firearms, but they did make their own bullets , brass, and powder at one time , so I cannot see them buying bullets from Remington but who knows??
Cat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C.I.L. sold Mauser actioned and Savage rifles. I seem to remember Anschutz 22s . I don't know about the shotguns.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 05/10/23. Reason: correction

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
C.I.L. never made any firearms, but they did make their own bullets , brass, and powder at one time , so I cannot see them buying bullets from Remington but who knows??
Cat

I don't know about the 1960s, but in the past 20 years, different bullet companies have provided product for others.

Savage, Anchutz and Parker Hale used to make rifles which were rebranded to CIL. There were likely others.

I would love to hear from your Dad's colleague about what was going on with Remington and the Sabre Tips. My information is third hand and not reliable. I hate to repeat it here because of the way information gets twisted, but the gist of it was that Remington got some CIL bullets, examined them and came out with their own version - without paying the licensing fees.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, ya when the first ballistic tips & v max came out I thought of the old imperial sabre tips. Kinda of neat that someone was thinking that way back then. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nosler in his book said he got the idea for Ballistic Tips from the Canadian Sabre Tips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C.I.L. sold a lot of rebranded firearms under license.

Zaballa, CBC, Franchi, Anschutz. Savage. Parker Hale were the main ones
Cat

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
The copper point expanding had a hollow copper tip rather than the solid wedge of the Bronze Point. Quite a thin jacket, but I only saw them in 30-06 and 303 Brit. Only 180 grain. KKSP was a decent bullet, I used them on game in .270 160 gr, 30-30 170 gr, 308 and 30-06 180 grain. Also loaded them in a 300 H&H for a friend. All animals died promptly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was just gonna shoot those 160 gr kksp's up but by damn you guys make me wanna go buy some maple syrup for waffles, blended Canadian whiskey and shoot some meat with that ammo and damned if I won't do it. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Magnum Bob;
Good evening once more, I trust the day went well for you overall.

Thanks for the chuckle, I hope that your quest brings you much satisfaction.

While it's un-Canadian of me to admit it, I'm not a huge fan of most pure maple syrups I've tried, but don't mind maple flavoring in thicker syrups.

If you're able to find some, both 40 Creek and Pike Creek blended Canadian whisky can be - well if not good then at least tastes fine to me, taken in moderation with a wee bit of water. wink

Shooting meat with Canuck made ammo however is a noble windmill to tilt at and I do sincerely wish you the best at that quest.

Thanks for the thread sir, it's been fun.

Best to you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.