Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Friday was a arm/shoulder day and 20mins on the stairmaster plus a mile on the treadmill.

Alas I have fallen off the wagon and drank some beer. I will climb back on the wagon as when I drink, my food choices are awful.

Looking forward to hunting black bears this spring, never done it before. Honestly I just want out of the house.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Mtwarden, are you going to detail your prep /packing list for your sheep hunt?

Testing any gear for it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing finalized yet (but close smile )

https://lighterpack.com/r/t5541l

As far as prep- are you talking fitness prep? plan is to keep on as is; June I'll start some weighted rucking a couple of times/week- starting at 30# and building to 60#- will include a couple of hill workouts/week as well- trying to get some serious sidehilling too. Hope to hit the range a fair bit. I have a couple of areas on FS land that should give me an opportunity to play with steep down/up shots too.

I might be testing a few pieces out- possibly a Sitka Mtn Evo jacket; possibly a SG Terminus pack- I've put it out to the powers that be that'll I be up there for ~12 days; so if there is anything they might want to see tested this would be a good chance smile

I do have a new Spartan Precision Davros Pro head I'm going to test for myself- hoping I can both shoot and glass from it comfortably.

https://javelinbipod.com/collections/tripod-heads-mounts/products/davros-pro-head

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
After looking at the Terminus 7k Friday, I will be picking up a Terminus 8700 for deer, sheep, and goat hunting. Unbelievably lightweight.

Surprised you're not taking the kimber, sentimental reasons?

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 04/23/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
After looking at the Terminus 7k Friday, I will be picking up a Terminus 8700 for deer, sheep, and goat hunting. Unbelievably lightweight.

Surprised you're not taking the kimber, sentimental reasons?

Yeah the Terminus 8700 has my eye smile

Yes, the Featherweight I inherited from my late father-in-law. He said when he retired we'd be taking a trip to AK to hunt, sadly never made it- he died much too early with a bout of cancer frown

I've got the featherweight into the gunsmith to work the trigger a bit, fit the new bottom metal, new (lighter) recoil pad and bed the action. I pulled the stock off a couple of months ago and Tru Oiled the interior of the stock with three coats (pulled off the recoil pad and grip cap as well)- hoping to make it less apt to be effected by moisture. Also had the action Cerakoted.

I've got an email into Branser, so I may go with Plan B and put a new stock on it laugh

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very cool.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Barbell squats, heavy sled drags, leg press, and 17mins on the treadmill today.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Zoning out....

][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I'm going to change things up a bit starting today. Gym days (3x per week) will still be focused on weight lifting, but only one long set to failure (decreasing load as needed). Going to cut the Zone 2 bike time down to 20 minutes, then end with HIIT using Tabata timer.

First week done but I've been doing 30 minutes on the bike instead of 20 as planned. Plus one set of eight Tabata sprints at the end.

Today's workout:

Leg press
Goblet squat with KB, then sumo squat
KB swing
Split squat

Sled push
Mountain climbers
Stationary bike

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
far out, i forgot about this thread. got 14,000 steps in today just walking with the kids.

surfed for 45 minutes on the log.. lots of paddling in wind blown junk

6 miles of biking.

and paddled the SUP 5.4 miles

shedding weight only eating twice a day. straight venison. a little bit of carbs, some veg/fruit. 3 cups of coffee.

flight heads to NZ in 32 days. i gotta get back to 1,000 squats a day here soon. my left knee that's been bugging me for a decade hasn't let me get too western yet.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
4 years off of lifting. 3 years ago during Covid I walked 20,000 steps 5 X per week. I had problems with resistant high blood pressure when I went heavy. Last year I pulled my MCL tendon and had severe knee pain. No sheep hunting for me. I saw a 39 inch dall ram 600 yards from the road fully legal but I had no tag, and a 458 Winchester Mag with iron sights for Griz in the yard, I also had covid. Yet there they were a 38er and a 39 inch ram right near the road.

I worked on rehabbing and last week I started on an exercise bike for 30 minutes above 70 rpm at highest setting with no problems. I did lat pulldowns, curls, incline presses, light dead lifts, light squats, light bench press. Hopefully I can recover by September when I might take a trip for Dall Sheep. I have a yard moose permit. The big thing is that I have 1 year to go before I retire from teaching and I need a plateau so I can become a mountain creature.

I will do hit in about 1 month. I also do trails. I did buy one of those SG 8700 Terminus bags, I have a Proof Research Elevation with a Leupold Mark 5 HD in 300 Win that I want to break in for this year. I am going to do the Zoleo and I probably will go by myself. Oh I got a ATX 95 with 1.4 multiplier. That should be cool.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like I missed a couple of weeks.

week 4/24-4/30 77 miles smile 65 of those miles on a snowshoe trip across the Bob Marshall

week 5/1- 5/7 32 miles &32 miles for the year); I've also started back at the gym going light- 5x5 @ 70%; I was very nervous deadlifting again, but thankfully the hamstring held up

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Last edited by mtwarden; 05/09/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to change things up a bit starting today. Gym days (3x per week) will still be focused on weight lifting, but only one long set to failure (decreasing load as needed). Going to cut the Zone 2 bike time down to 20 minutes, then end with HIIT using Tabata timer.

First week done but I've been doing 30 minutes on the bike instead of 20 as planned in the gym. Plus one set of eight Tabata sprints at the end.

This is my third week of doing one set to failure for each weight/machine exercise, plus Tabata sprints on the bike. Good change, at least for now, and I definitely notice some improvements.

Today was supposed to be a lower body day in the gym but I went to check on an old shooting spot in the OR coastrange instead. Most of the snow was gone but still dang treacherous with loose soil and blowdown. Trekking poles were not much help without baskets but that was easiest climb down and back up so far. My legs and lungs would normally be complaining!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had dropped 25 pounds since Christmas but hit a plateau about a month ago. I took a couple of weeks off from the diet and working out, hoping to do a reset. I can say that I feel like crap and am back on the program tomorrow. I can't believe how much effect that diet has on things like inflammation, sleep and brain fog.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hand planted 100 seedlings today. No need for a gym only 3 Aleve.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yesterday was squats, deadlifts, leg press, and stationary bike

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very cool, who's the artist? Two sons who live out of town flew in for Mother's Day so we rented a place up in Estes. Did a few hikes in RMNP using my brand-new lifetime parks pass for "seniors," LOL, a milestone. Or more like a millstone maybe.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Very cool, who's the artist? Two sons who live out of town flew in for Mother's Day so we rented a place up in Estes. Did a few hikes in RMNP using my brand-new lifetime parks pass for "seniors," LOL, a milestone. Or more like a millstone maybe.

We stayed in Estes (late September) several years ago. We got a few nice hikes in at Rocky Mtn, but the biggie was the Pawnee-Buchanan Pass Loop (Indian Peak Wilderness)- 30 miles with a [bleep]-ton of gain/loss - started in headlamps and finished in headlamps laugh

There is a trail in this pic smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by smokepole

We stayed in Estes (late September) several years ago. We got a few nice hikes in at Rocky Mtn, but the biggie was the Pawnee-Buchanan Pass Loop (Indian Peak Wilderness)- 30 miles with a [bleep]-ton of gain/loss - started in headlamps and finished in headlamps laugh

There is a trail in this pic smile

Oh yeah, I run that loop all the time.
grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Richard Simmons protege....

Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Yesterday was squats, deadlifts, leg press, and stationary bike

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.