Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
A Quick Primer Test – Observations

[Linked Image from 303british.com]

I have been reading people’s experiences with primers since the shortages began a few years ago. The biggest complaint was not being able to find any. This problem is still ongoing, but slowly seems to be easing.

When primers appeared during the shortage however, a few people were upset about the poor fit. These primers came from Europe – Ginex and S&B. Most of the observations suggested that they were undersized. I checked some, but did not find anything out of the ordinary. It doesn’t mean that undersized primers aren’t out there. It only means that I never came across any. Did the Internet rumour mill strike again? Probably. There might have been a bad lot of primers, but the trouble was likely blown out of proportion.

I also read complaints about the quality of Prvi Partizan and Winchester brass – and the high cost of all brass, regardless of maker. Like primers, the biggest problem however was lack of product on store shelves.

What I did was a quick check some brass and primers that were in my shop to check for size and fit.

It certainly isn’t definitive, but I was satisfied that the components here were okay.

Click on the link - https://303british.com/a-quick-primer-test-observations/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I saw some Ginex coming in, I checked Google for reviews. British target shooters liked them as they were better quality than CCI BR2 . More consistent velocities. But the cups were a touch larger. But I warn everybody, primers vary by lot #s, too.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
When I saw some Ginex coming in, I checked Google for reviews. British target shooters liked them as they were better quality than CCI BR2 . More consistent velocities. But the cups were a touch larger. But I warn everybody, primers vary by lot #s, too.

Somewhere on the board, there was a discussion about Ginex SR primers. They were reporting them as undersized. I remember checking them and found no problems. I tried new and fired cases.

A couple of years ago, as the shortages were getting worse, I was lucky that the Internet chatter about Ginex being undersized was spreading. Twice I bought Ginex SR primers at fire sale prices. When primers were priced around $100 per thousand, I bought Ginex for $50 per thousand.

I have never looked, but since Ginex and S&B are made in Europe, they must follow the European standard, if there is one.

Most people are not aware that SAAMI standards are voluntary, but CIP standards are law. In that respect, I suspect that quality control is more stringent with the Euro made stuff.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Somewhere on the board, there was a discussion about Ginex SR primers. They were reporting them as undersized. I remember checking them and found no problems. I tried new and fired cases.

A couple of years ago, as the shortages were getting worse, I was lucky that the Internet chatter about Ginex being undersized was spreading. Twice I bought Ginex SR primers at fire sale prices. When primers were priced around $100 per thousand, I bought Ginex for $50 per thousand.

I have never looked, but since Ginex and S&B are made in Europe, they must follow the European standard, if there is one.

Most people are not aware that SAAMI standards are voluntary, but CIP standards are law. In that respect, I suspect that quality control is more stringent with the Euro made stuff.

"Better than BR2's",according to downwindtrakcer, yet they are both oversized and undersized? You guys can use them and I'll keep using my BR2's. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Chacun a son gout. Use what you want. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA, if your are a competitive target shooter, it might be worth while to run some over a chrony and do the deviations. What you just said was "I don't care about winning . "

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can't speak to your LR primer tests, but I've been using some Bosnian Ginex Small Pistol primers lately (4.5/3 P-1), loading them in 9mm and .38 Super. They are a fuzz oversized, at least in my estimation (they are harder to seat in a pocket with a Lee priming tool). Not very scientific, but practical. I was using them in Maxxtech brass (headstamped MXT), which is also made in Bosnia. They were a decent fit in those cases, I can't complain about the minimal extra effort involved. The brass has a lot of issues, but the primers aren't bad.

My Super cases are PMC (Korean) and Aguila (Mexican), and the primers are very snug, but very useable. I don't have issues using them in those cases either. US commercial 9mm cases require a bit more effort, but not enough to fuss about.
The cups are VERY hard, though, I had to swap out the titanium firing pins on some pistols and go with steel firing pins for more reliable ignition. I got them for $72/1000, so I won't fuss about that, CCI primers are selling for $120/1000 locally.

I don't know if that will help anyone, but I hope someone finds it useful.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for your info, ratsmacker. It does help. Getting inputs from actual users is important IMO.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We just bought 10,000 Ginex small rifle primers .
They mic'd out the same as my BR2's, and according to the last 50 I shot, are consistently as good at putting my little 105 6mm bullets into the Vbull at 500 meters.
I use Lapua 6mmBR cases if anyone is wondering .
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
BSA, if your are a competitive target shooter, it might be worth while to run some over a chrony and do the deviations. What you just said was "I don't care about winning . "

No, what the man said was that he is sticking with BR2 as he knows they are reliable...anything else you read in his post is all your doing.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by catnthehat
We just bought 10,000 Ginex small rifle primers .
They mic'd out the same as my BR2's, and according to the last 50 I shot, are consistently as good at putting my little 105 6mm bullets into the Vbull at 500 meters.
I use Lapua 6mmBR cases if anyone is wondering .
Cat

I'm glad they are working, but it's no surprise. smile I have no complaints either!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I haven't seen them here...but would not be adverse to trying them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use BR2s in my F class loads, but if I don't come in last, it's a good shoot. If on the other hand I was serious, I would certainly try any advantage .In this game, that could easily be the winning margin. And he's not interested in that. The British target shooters who have more access to European components, like them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I use BR2s in my F class loads, but if I don't come in last, it's a good shoot. If on the other hand I was serious, I would certainly try any advantage .In this game, that could easily be the winning margin. And he's not interested in that. The British target shooters who have more access to European components, like them.

So...he makes a different choice to you...so what!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 25 invisible), 1,999 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.