Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Assuming you are retired or don't need regular employment..??? No fantasy (made-up locations)

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd look at the outskirts of fairbanks. If you're retired you're up in years. I wouldn't bet my life on a village clinic elsewhere.

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Not for myself. Just to stimulate conversation. I figure I found the best place. (For me).

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For us it is down in SE.
Been here over 9 years now.

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A guy could make an argument that Eureka has a lot going for it. One of the best views you'll ever see of the Chugach, for sure. Not a lot of people, but you are on the road system. If you have wings you are within striking distance of lots of good stuff, but I guess that goes for many places.

Downsides: it gets cold in the winter, and the place has a habit of making it's own "to the deck" snow/cloud cover. Medical services probably consist of what's in your first aid kit. You are still in the matsu so they are bleeding you dry on property tax. You can drive a little further and avoid that, but the view drops right off.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Interior.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cwh2,
I assume you mean the Eureka Lodge area and not the Eureka out of Fairbanks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Most important thing to consider is access to medical care. When you are a senior life isn't easier and only gets more difficult with each passing year.

If we moved back it would be to the Kenai area simply because of our love for fishing. Plus it would add only a few more hours to our annual Koyukuk moose hunting trips.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it all depends on what you like to do. I’m seriously thinking of snow birding when I retire. At that point, I’ll take a place down the Kenai Peninsula. Summers full of fishing and then I can drive north to hunt. I don’t mind Wasilla, but traffic on the Parks during rush hour sucks! I thought other places I’ve lived was bad.

Last edited by Hudge; 06/05/23.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
During the summer, traffic on the Kenai sucks too. Tourons. We need not go to Anchorage to experience Anchorage traffic on the weekends, either, as they come to us. Starting about now, I try to make right hand turns only, as much as possible, excluding stop lights.

Homer has some outstanding views. Indian, also. Med facilities readily available both places (Anc is 35 miles from Indian).

Manley has no view, just a big river, if that's your thing. Way laid back, but 160 miles from Fairbanks, by road. Air service available.

Striking distance to the Brooks Range.

Fox, 10 miles out of Fairbanks avoids "city life" largely- no view, really.

Fall colors are pretty impressive in Interior, but winters suck, and I have spent 14 cumulative years in the Arctic. smile

If I were to go Interior, it would be Manley, Tok, Delta, personally.

Kenai Pen was much nicer when we moved here in 1980.

That's all I have to say about that!

Last edited by las; 06/05/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by VernAK
cwh2,
I assume you mean the Eureka Lodge area and not the Eureka out of Fairbanks.
Yes. Eureka Lodge.

Only ever driven by the other one.

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I would invite those interested in stating what they would desire in an Alaska for a location. (Speaking here to those with little residency experience).

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Borough assembly passed an ordinance last week stating that the Kenai P. is closed.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am still working and living in the outskirts of Fairbanks. I live off of Skyridge with a 250 acre moose refuge next to me. The nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away and winter with the aurora is wonderful. I miss the mountains. In the near future, I see myself leaving the gun stores and grocery stores of Fairbanks for getting away from the hubris of civilization. I guess that I am young because you get a 225K property tax exemption at 65 and that is 10 years away.

My notion of an ideal location is Kenny Lake. It doesn't rain as much or blow as much as Chitina. Chitina has a medical clinic as does Glennallen. Its a pretty quick trip to Valdez hospital or to Providence Hospital. I can see a 10 acre homestead on the Old Edgerton with a mountain view in my near future. You get an extra month of Sheep hunting at 60 years of age. You are fairly close to Valdez for halibut fishing and sea food. You can easily manage a fish wheel and get a subsistence moose. Gardens are great there. They have good water that doesn't cause cancer. The water off of Liberty Falls will extend your life about 5-10 years. They have a nice little farmers market and Wegner's Farm store. Three bears and Safeway in Valdez. Go to Costco and medical care once per month. That is probably a pretty good gig. That is probably what I will do. Only problem is that gas prices are high so you need a bulk tank.

Last edited by kaboku68; 06/05/23.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
kaboku Where can you get a xtra month of sheep season at 60? Or is it a Federal Subsistence hunt?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent a good portion of my 18 years up there hunting out of Tok in various areas. Met alot of good folks up there and love the place. A tad Chilly in the winter but would have been worth it

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Loaded question. I would say Petersburg ak.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by kk alaska
kaboku Where can you get a xtra month of sheep season at 60? Or is it a Federal Subsistence hunt?

Local residents or those qualified with a federal 13.44 permit.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Eagle River with a plane would like it better but I have friends with planes! I am 30 minutes from Alaska! Utility costs are pretty cheap in suburbia compared to the rest of Alaska, If I want remote will build a cabin, don't have to fight it all winter!

Last edited by kk alaska; 06/06/23.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wasilla is the worst place to live in Alaska, the view sucks, no fish to catch within 200 miles and the hunting is absolutely terrible, no caribou at all and most guys drive 3-400 miles North just to get a moose

Def stay away from Wasyphilis

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,381
Posts18,527,562
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.