A
Yes I absolutly tithe!

1st John 4:7-8
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, g but you ignore the more important aspects of the law— justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

This is what I read in New Testament. Jesus spoke in Matthew 23:23

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by andy57
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law— justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

This was before He instituted His New Covenant, and this was before His redeeming death on the cross. And besides that, the old covenant (the Law of Moses) was between God and the ancient Israelites, and no one else.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Sako
Well since Christians are not told to Tithe but to give as we are blessed... No. Tithing was under the 1st covenant with Abraham... Christians live under the new covenant in Christs blood... AKA the 2nd covenant for salvation... We are told by Jesus to follow his commands... He does not command us to tithe but he tells us to give as we are blessed... we are not called to give a certain percentage.

Any preacher that preaches you have to give a certain percentage is either incredibly uneducated on the bible or are simple a false teacher....

Exactly right!!!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Sako
Well since Christians are not told to Tithe but to give as we are blessed... No. Tithing was under the 1st covenant with Abraham... Christians live under the new covenant in Christs blood... AKA the 2nd covenant for salvation... We are told by Jesus to follow his commands... He does not command us to tithe but he tells us to give as we are blessed... we are not called to give a certain percentage.

Any preacher that preaches you have to give a certain percentage is either incredibly uneducated on the bible or are simple a false teacher....

So, there is no value in reading or paying any attention to the Old Testament?

An explanation of why or why not would be in order…

There is definitely value in reading and studying the Old Testament, but as Christians we’re under the new covenant. For us the Old Testament is fulfilled. Jesus said we are to be cheerful givers.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by andy57
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law— justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

This was before He instituted His New Covenant, and this was before His redeeming death on the cross. And besides that, the old covenant (the Law of Moses) was between God and the ancient Israelites, and no one else.
Exactly right!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Both true , yet I still practice tithing and giving because I have found that it works in my life. Following the practice spoken of in Malachi , saying test me and see. I have never been able to out give God. I also have had some pretty lean times in my life yet I am still here and have been truly Blessed finacially and all other ways. I have not starved to death yet, or been without shelter or basic needs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Yes! Read the book of Malachi.
I might would suggest you read the book of Malachi carefully to see who he was chastising.

As to tithing, you might read closely to see what was subject to tithing. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't wages.

The purpose of tithing was the support of the Levite priesthood and the administration of the Jewish nation. The Levites did not get an inheritance.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We happily tithe and have for decades, it’s quite the honor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.
Christians should take the whole Bible into consideration, not just the New Testament. Jesus said so Himself.
You all in for stoning to death people who dishonor their parents…? You all in for stoning to death adulterers…?

That has nothing to do with it, and if you actually knew anything, you'd know that. If you believe in Jesus, then you also must believe in the Old Testament. No other way around it.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I drop a decent amount of money in. But my motives are selfish. I simply want the Church to remain viable,....not many LCMS Lutherans around here. This is Baptist country. I inadvertently discovered that my nature makes me an LCMS Lutheran.

I'm sure that my Methodist ancestors are spinning in their graves,....well,...some of them, anyway.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.
Christians should take the whole Bible into consideration, not just the New Testament. Jesus said so Himself.
You all in for stoning to death people who dishonor their parents…? You all in for stoning to death adulterers…?
That has nothing to do with it, and if you actually knew anything, you'd know that. If you believe in Jesus, then you also must believe in the Old Testament. No other way around it.
Those commandments are straight outta the Old Testament ~ the very one that you assert you “must believe in.”

Is believing in (putting your trust and confidence in) the Old Testament a requirement for ‘your’ salvation…?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Quear preachers is a abomination

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those commandments are straight outta the Old Testament ~ the very one that you assert you “must believe in.”

Is believing in the Old Testament a requirement for your salvation…?

Believing in Jesus is a requirement, and He said that He did not come to change the laws, but to fulfill the prophecy.......the prophecy that is found in the Old Testament. You cannot believe in one, and not the other, that's not the way it works.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Is believing in the Old Testament a requirement for your salvation…?

Believing in Jesus is a requirement, and He said that He did not come to change the laws, but to fulfill the prophecy.......the prophecy that is found in the Old Testament. You cannot believe in one, and not the other, that's not the way it works.

I absolutely believe every word of the Old Testament. You answered the question though Jesus fulfilled the prophecy, the Old Testament is complete. Christians are under the new covenant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, He said He didn’t come to “abolish” the Law of Moses (as in to ‘destroy’ it), but to “fulfill it.” And fulfill it He did. And now that old covenant (the Law of Moses)…which was only applicable to the ancient Israelites to begin with…is retired. It has been retired in favor of Jesus’ New Covenant, a better covenant ~ which is applicable to anyone who wants to take part in it. Jesus quoted from the Jewish scriptures to show that He is the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies and promises, and ‘the Law’ itself. Jesus’ followers are not under the old covenant (the Law of Moses). At all.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
No, He said He didn’t come to “abolish” the Law of Moses (as in to ‘destroy’ it), but to “fulfill it.” And fulfill it He did. And now that old covenant (the Law of Moses)…which was only applicable to the ancient Israelites to begin with…is retired. It has been retired in favor of Jesus’ New Covenant, a better covenant ~ which is applicable to anyone who wants to take part in it. Jesus quoted from the Jewish scriptures to show that He is the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies and promises, and ‘the Law’ itself. Jesus’ followers are not under the old covenant (the Law of Moses). At all.

Bingo!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Mormons.........ready, set, go!

Hasn't been a good religion bashing thread in at least three weeks.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
We are "cheerful givers".

and..........

'...not grudgingly or under compulsion...'

'Tithe' - NO, 'Give' - YES...

I ride that train too. Don't currently attend a facility.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of folks like to twist Jesus' words. He very clearly said he did not come to destroy the law and the prophets but to fulfill. And he further said not one iota of the law would pass away until heaven and earth pass away.

Then someone will trot out the 600+ laws of Moses. Well now, I can't burn a bull on my altar because I don't have an altar even if it creates a sweet aroma to the Lord. And the laws pertaining to kings I don't follow or the ones pertaining to Levite Priests. And of course I'm in no position to order the stoning of prostitutes or homos. But I do follow the dietary laws pretty well and I don't crap in the yard close to the house. And I obey the sabbath within reason (Jesus discussed that).

Whatever someone that came along after Jesus wants to claim that Jesus really meant I don't pay much attention to especially if he got his commission as an apostle in a secret meeting on a road out in the desert unlike all the other apostles who were called publicly.

It doesn't make sense that Jesus forgot to tell his whole story while he was here. Jesus endorsed the law and while he accepted Gentiles and Samaritans he did NOT excuse them from the law and the prophets. He did not end the Jewish covenant. You cannot twist Jesus words to make that case.

No matter how much you want to believe otherwise, he did not.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

exactly

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,797
Posts18,516,151
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.