Home
Posted By: hanco How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
We did for a long time, but don’t any more since they allow gay pastors in the Methodist church. Do you
yes
Posted By: muleshoe Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Yup
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Closet gay phag it in the baptist church we used to attend fugk him
Posted By: Sbrown Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Yes! Read the book of Malachi.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
We are "cheerful givers".
Posted By: Tyrone Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Yes. But not to every cause presented.
Posted By: Deans Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Yes.
Posted By: MrWilson Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
hell no
Posted By: hotsoup Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
i tithe at least 10 percent and i also give above that. if my church did not follow the bible, i'd find a church which does.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i tithe at least 10 percent and i also give above that. if my church did not follow the bible, i'd find a church which does.

+10
Posted By: Muffin Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by DaveinWV

and..........

'...not grudgingly or under compulsion...'

'Tithe' - NO, 'Give' - YES...
Yep, sure do. Our church disaffiliated with the UMC, so we are good. I tithed even when we were still part of the UMC. I just allocated the funds to areas where the conference couldn’t get a hold of it.
Don't currently have a local church, but we still tithe. It's not a building or an organization that we are called to tithe to, but to "the church" which is the body of Christ.

The intent of tithes was to help support widows, orphans, and those incapable of earning a living and those who found themselves in need of temporary assistance due to illness, injury, or just life's circumstances such as famine, drought, or fire.
They were, and still are, intended for those reasons as well as the means of support for preachers and teachers of the Word. It was never meant for the enrichment of the clergy! A fair living, yes.

That means we give our tithes to Pastors and Teachers who bless us with the Word of God as well as charitable organizations who serve the needs of those less fortunate. We are very selective on where our tithes and offerings go to.

Ed
Posted By: JamesJr Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Yes, and something that is often forgotten, is also to give your time.
We've about give up on preachers.

Still gift/give the same amount or more to charity or family.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Absolutely! Our time is the most valuable thing we have!

Thanks for the reminder!

Ed
Posted By: hanco Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23

You are correct, I fail that often
Originally Posted by blindshooter
We've about give up on preachers.

Still gift/give the same amount or more to charity or family.

There are some good, Bible teaching folks on the Internet.

Ed
Posted By: Jahrs Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by hanco

Stop dancing so much!
Posted By: Sako Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Well since Christians are not told to Tithe but to give as we are blessed... No. Tithing was under the 1st covenant with Abraham... Christians live under the new covenant in Christs blood... AKA the 2nd covenant for salvation... We are told by Jesus to follow his commands... He does not command us to tithe but he tells us to give as we are blessed... we are not called to give a certain percentage.

Any preacher that preaches you have to give a certain percentage is either incredibly uneducated on the bible or are simple a false teacher....
Posted By: BKinSD Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Tithing...absolutely not. The stewardship I see practiced in many places doesn't meet my standards. Giving and doing the work of the church? absolutely.

We all do.
Posted By: WMR Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Ultimately, for the believer, it all belongs to God. Yes, we give time and money to the church but, to be fair, it's kind of easy for us. Our bills are paid and we have more than we need. I like to think that we are good stewards of our portion, but we could probably do better.
I guess I would if I ever went.
Posted By: TwoTall Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Yes,It doesn’t always go to the church thou. someone in need, school that my kid attends. Home schooled family’s. I definitely could do better, but I am doing better than I ever have. Some years I make to 10% some I don’t. I try to listen to God on where it should go.
Posted By: deflave Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
LOL
To my people... in my community? Absolutely Yes.

To my former church... no longer.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Yep, sure do. Our church disaffiliated with the UMC, so we are good. I tithed even when we were still part of the UMC. I just allocated the funds to areas where the conference couldn’t get a hold of it.

Lots of disaffiliating going on and it’s a good thing to see as painful as it may be.

Looking like the Presbyterian churches are about to do the same on a national basis.
Depends on which Presbyterian denomination you are talking about (there are several), one has been loosing members and congregations like mad for quite a while. Others not so much.
I never did. Now I do since they allow gay pastors in the Methodist church. That’s something to really support.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by deflave
LOL

Reread the question.

The answer is either:

1. I Does,
or
2. I Doesn't

You have a 50/50 chance.

Sheesh.
Posted By: antlers Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by hotsoup

Can you name one which does that and then doesn't support their main organization?
Originally Posted by antlers
Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.

Christians should take the whole Bible into consideration, not just the New Testament. Jesus said so Himself.
Christians should take the whole Bible into consideration, not just the New Testament. Jesus said so Himself.
You all in for stoning to death people who dishonor their parents…? You all in for stoning to death adulterers…?
Posted By: jbmi Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Every Sunday.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by Sako
Well since Christians are not told to Tithe but to give as we are blessed... No. Tithing was under the 1st covenant with Abraham... Christians live under the new covenant in Christs blood... AKA the 2nd covenant for salvation... We are told by Jesus to follow his commands... He does not command us to tithe but he tells us to give as we are blessed... we are not called to give a certain percentage.

Any preacher that preaches you have to give a certain percentage is either incredibly uneducated on the bible or are simple a false teacher....

So, there is no value in reading or paying any attention to the Old Testament?

An explanation of why or why not would be in order…
Originally Posted by shrapnel
So, there is no value in reading or paying any attention to the Old Testament? An explanation of why or why not would be in order…
Yes, for inspiration and motivation, but not for application. Jesus’ followers are not under the Law of Moses. Period.
Jesus quoted from the Jewish scriptures to show that He is the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies and promises, and ‘the Law’ itself.
Posted By: andy57 Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Yes I absolutly tithe!
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, g but you ignore the more important aspects of the law— justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

This is what I read in New Testament. Jesus spoke in Matthew 23:23
Originally Posted by andy57
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law— justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

This was before He instituted His New Covenant, and this was before His redeeming death on the cross. And besides that, the old covenant (the Law of Moses) was between God and the ancient Israelites, and no one else.
Posted By: LBP Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23

Exactly right!!!

There is definitely value in reading and studying the Old Testament, but as Christians we’re under the new covenant. For us the Old Testament is fulfilled. Jesus said we are to be cheerful givers.
Originally Posted by andy57
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law— justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

This was before He instituted His New Covenant, and this was before His redeeming death on the cross. And besides that, the old covenant (the Law of Moses) was between God and the ancient Israelites, and no one else.
Exactly right!
Both true , yet I still practice tithing and giving because I have found that it works in my life. Following the practice spoken of in Malachi , saying test me and see. I have never been able to out give God. I also have had some pretty lean times in my life yet I am still here and have been truly Blessed finacially and all other ways. I have not starved to death yet, or been without shelter or basic needs.
Posted By: Hastings Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Yes! Read the book of Malachi.
I might would suggest you read the book of Malachi carefully to see who he was chastising.

As to tithing, you might read closely to see what was subject to tithing. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't wages.

The purpose of tithing was the support of the Levite priesthood and the administration of the Jewish nation. The Levites did not get an inheritance.
We happily tithe and have for decades, it’s quite the honor.
You all in for stoning to death people who dishonor their parents…? You all in for stoning to death adulterers…?

That has nothing to do with it, and if you actually knew anything, you'd know that. If you believe in Jesus, then you also must believe in the Old Testament. No other way around it.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
I drop a decent amount of money in. But my motives are selfish. I simply want the Church to remain viable,....not many LCMS Lutherans around here. This is Baptist country. I inadvertently discovered that my nature makes me an LCMS Lutheran.

I'm sure that my Methodist ancestors are spinning in their graves,....well,...some of them, anyway.
That has nothing to do with it, and if you actually knew anything, you'd know that. If you believe in Jesus, then you also must believe in the Old Testament. No other way around it.
Those commandments are straight outta the Old Testament ~ the very one that you assert you “must believe in.”

Is believing in (putting your trust and confidence in) the Old Testament a requirement for ‘your’ salvation…?
Quear preachers is a abomination
Those commandments are straight outta the Old Testament ~ the very one that you assert you “must believe in.”

Is believing in the Old Testament a requirement for your salvation…?

Believing in Jesus is a requirement, and He said that He did not come to change the laws, but to fulfill the prophecy.......the prophecy that is found in the Old Testament. You cannot believe in one, and not the other, that's not the way it works.

Is believing in the Old Testament a requirement for your salvation…?

Believing in Jesus is a requirement, and He said that He did not come to change the laws, but to fulfill the prophecy.......the prophecy that is found in the Old Testament. You cannot believe in one, and not the other, that's not the way it works.

I absolutely believe every word of the Old Testament. You answered the question though Jesus fulfilled the prophecy, the Old Testament is complete. Christians are under the new covenant.
No, He said He didn’t come to “abolish” the Law of Moses (as in to ‘destroy’ it), but to “fulfill it.” And fulfill it He did. And now that old covenant (the Law of Moses)…which was only applicable to the ancient Israelites to begin with…is retired. It has been retired in favor of Jesus’ New Covenant, a better covenant ~ which is applicable to anyone who wants to take part in it. Jesus quoted from the Jewish scriptures to show that He is the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies and promises, and ‘the Law’ itself. Jesus’ followers are not under the old covenant (the Law of Moses). At all.
No, He said He didn’t come to “abolish” the Law of Moses (as in to ‘destroy’ it), but to “fulfill it.” And fulfill it He did. And now that old covenant (the Law of Moses)…which was only applicable to the ancient Israelites to begin with…is retired. It has been retired in favor of Jesus’ New Covenant, a better covenant ~ which is applicable to anyone who wants to take part in it. Jesus quoted from the Jewish scriptures to show that He is the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies and promises, and ‘the Law’ itself. Jesus’ followers are not under the old covenant (the Law of Moses). At all.

Bingo!
Mormons.........ready, set, go!

Hasn't been a good religion bashing thread in at least three weeks.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by DaveinWV

and..........

'...not grudgingly or under compulsion...'

'Tithe' - NO, 'Give' - YES...

I ride that train too. Don't currently attend a facility.
Posted By: Hastings Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Lots of folks like to twist Jesus' words. He very clearly said he did not come to destroy the law and the prophets but to fulfill. And he further said not one iota of the law would pass away until heaven and earth pass away.

Then someone will trot out the 600+ laws of Moses. Well now, I can't burn a bull on my altar because I don't have an altar even if it creates a sweet aroma to the Lord. And the laws pertaining to kings I don't follow or the ones pertaining to Levite Priests. And of course I'm in no position to order the stoning of prostitutes or homos. But I do follow the dietary laws pretty well and I don't crap in the yard close to the house. And I obey the sabbath within reason (Jesus discussed that).

Whatever someone that came along after Jesus wants to claim that Jesus really meant I don't pay much attention to especially if he got his commission as an apostle in a secret meeting on a road out in the desert unlike all the other apostles who were called publicly.

It doesn't make sense that Jesus forgot to tell his whole story while he was here. Jesus endorsed the law and while he accepted Gentiles and Samaritans he did NOT excuse them from the law and the prophets. He did not end the Jewish covenant. You cannot twist Jesus words to make that case.

No matter how much you want to believe otherwise, he did not.

exactly

Historical information is important... You have to know the old testament to understand that Jesus was who he said he was... and that what happened to him was foretold... Also, the Psalms are wonderful for refreshing the spirit... Proverbs are something everyeone should read as they contain very good advice... However, if you cannot read the new testament and see that the law of the old testament is passed and that you live under the new covenant and do not follow the commands of the OT... well you better start killing animals to get your sins forgiven
Posted By: dogzapper Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Absolutely, we tithe heavily.

Blessings,

Steve

Consideration... if you actually take the OT and the NT into consideration you will understand that the 10% (actually more) was commanded under the old covenant and was given to the physical nation of israel... Christians today live under the new covenant in Jesus Christ... Jesus Christ himself never told us to follow the OT law... He actually told us to follow his commands... He told us to give as we are blessed... never gave us a percentage... There is no way to take the whole bible into consideration with what we are told in it and still think you have to follow OT law that was given to the physical nation of Israel... Paul warns anyone trying to live under both covenants that they then have to keep both which they cannot do... Paul gets so frustrated with them that he tells the ones teaching that they still have to be circumsized that they should go ahead and cut the whole thing off... He plainly says we do not have to be circumsized today... but if you think we have to tithe since it is an OT law, do you believe you have to be circumsized to go to heaven... If you do believe that how do you explain Paul telling us we do not

There is a difference in believing in the OT and following the OT law for forgiveness... you cannot follow both laws... you cannot keep the all OT mosaic laws.

Circumcision was part of the OT law for forgiveness given to the physical nation of Israel... Do you believe you have to be circumsized today to go to heaven? or do you believe what Paul said about circumcision? (that we do not have to be)... So if you believe both, they contradict each other... so which one are you gonna chose or are you saying God is not smart enough not to contradict Himself or to keep him word intack for us today
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Absolutely, we tithe heavily.

Blessings,

Steve

So do you tithe or do you give... There is a difference... Tithing is a command to give a certain percentage... If you feel you have to follow the OT law for the forgiveness of sins are you saying that Jesus sacrifice on the cross and the New Covenant in his blood is not good enough?
People need to remember there is a difference in tithing and giving... just because you are giving money to the church does not mean you are tithing... Now if you believe you have to give a certain percentage and you give that percentage because you are "tithing" then you are... but just because you are giving money as Jesus Christ told us to, does not mean giving a certain percentage.... Technically if you follow Jesus commands, the more you make the more you should give...
Posted By: reivertom Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
We did for a long time, but don’t any more since they allow gay pastors in the Methodist church. Do you

There has been a split in the UMC and some churches that left it are forming a more Conservative conference. Look around , you might find one close to you.
Sounds like a long-winded excuse for cherry-pickin’ to me Hastings. Plain and simple. You pick out a few commands from the Mosaic Law that you wanna abide by, and then make excuses for why you can’t abide by the other hundreds and hundreds of commands in the Mosaic Law. You cherry-pick a few of em’ that appeal to you and call it good.

It was Jesus Himself…not Paul…who said the Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until the time of John the Baptist. But since the time of John the Baptist, the Gospel is being preached.

Originally Posted by Hastings
And he further said not one iota of the law would pass away until heaven and earth pass away.
No. You intentionally left out the most important part of that verse. He said that until heaven and earth pass away, not one iota of the Law would pass away, until everything in the Law was fulfilled. And it was fulfilled. By Jesus. Just like He said.

And it was the apostle Peter and James, Jesus’ own brother and the leader of the church in Jerusalem…not Paul…who made it crystal clear that not only are Gentiles not bound by the old covenant (the Law of Moses), but that the Jews themselves are saved the same way as the Gentiles are ~ by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus alone, and not by following a buncha rules that were only applicable to the ancient Israelites in the first place. Or in your case, cherry-pickin’ a few of em’ that appeal to you and callin’ it good.

There is a difference in believing in the OT and following the OT law for forgiveness... you cannot follow both laws... you cannot keep the all OT mosaic laws.

Circumcision was part of the OT law for forgiveness given to the physical nation of Israel... Do you believe you have to be circumsized today to go to heaven? or do you believe what Paul said about circumcision? (that we do not have to be)... So if you believe both, they contradict each other... so which one are you gonna chose or are you saying God is not smart enough not to contradict Himself or to keep him word intack for us today

Basically speaking, the OT lays down the groundwork for the Savior coming. It is true that God in the OT did give the Jews a lot of laws that they had to follow..........the key word being Jews. We cannot disregard the OT, although there are many parts of it that I believe do not apply to us today. But, such things as the Ten Commandments still do, as Jesus said in NT.

One has to study and read the entire Bible, OT and NT, and see how they fit together. Just saying that you believe in Jesus, and all that OT crap is irrelevant is treading on dangerous ground. Jesus himself said that on several occasions. It all is like a big puzzle, fitting together just as God planned.
Sako and antlers…..Great posts…thanks!
Posted By: ihookem Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23

We are certainly under the law
So, there is no value in reading or paying any attention to the Old Testament? An explanation of why or why not would be in order…
Yes, for inspiration and motivation, but not for application. Jesus’ followers are not under the Law of Moses. Period.

We are still under the law of Moses when it comes to the Ten Commandments. That I think we all know. Stoning a dishonorable child? I think we would all be dead. As for me, I still tithe. However, I am unhappy with our last church , the way they spent money , and not real happy with our new none that we have been attending 3 yrs. now... Just a question for believers. I worked at another church remodeling their youth room. My boss, is the pastor and told me to send an invoice . I told him I won't do that . It is free. It would have come to $900 otherwise. I did not tithe the last $900 to our church. One reason is , cause I have been mad at our church cause we don't have a youth group and I have been telling church leaders it is imperative to have a youth group but no one wants to do it. I wont , cause I am a 60 yr old man and refuse to give advise to 12 yr. old girls about sex and drugs and Rock and Roll.. I already teach the 4 to 9 yr olds ever 3 weeks and help out almost every week anyway. So, I did not tithe my last $9,000 , and that would have been $900 . I am not sure it is right, but I believe every church needs a youth group.. The last check came in and I will continue tithing from now on.. It is very upsetting to teach kids , have them turn 10 and they disappear and stop going to church altogether. I believe the kids from birth to 18 is more ministry that the old farts sitting in the benches and the church is already imploding all over America, and this is one reason why. Satan is going to eat these kids for lunch if they don't get support from other christian kids . I have tested the spirit and even prayed about it. but I just don't feel conviction. . What do you other christians think?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Don't go except for weddings and funerals and such, so my answer would be no to tithing.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
I don't care what someone else does with their money.

But, I also dont care for someone crying to me about money troubles, when they're giving up a piece of their income to a church.
Giving in the Church, the Body of Christ, should be done freely, willingly, without guilt or compulsion. Tithing has no place scripturally in the Church, except that God loves a cheerful giver (but there is no 10%+ mandate), 2 Corinthians 9:7.

First found in Genesis 14:20, tithing was part of the Mosaic Law to support the Levitical priesthood, as they had no land allotment, Numbers 18:20, 25-29. Tithing also supported the poor in those days Deut 14:28-29, 26:12.

Tithing today has been exploited by churches and religious leaders and is used as a guilt mechanism to support religious institutions and causes.

The Church is under grace, not the Law, and grace is the basis (or should be) for Christian giving. As 2 Corinthians 9:7 says, God loves a cheerful giver, but that is up to the giver and what’s in his heart…
We tithe. Pastors that don’t ought not to preach.
My church is a very giving church.
Been there 10 years, never preached a sermon dedicated to tithing. No need. They do.
A person doesn't even need to attend church to have a relationship with God so why the hell should a person give money to a church?
And catholic isn't Christian.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
No tithes, just offerings. No plate passed during service, just a box in the back of the church for cheques and cash as well as email money transfers.

Tithes are OT.
Posted By: DBT Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Catholics are Christians. The catholic church brought you the bible. Jesus reportedly said to Peter, "thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
I deal with lots of churches and have sat a many a Sunday in church but here’s the deal in every one of them there’s to many chiefs and not enough indians tell me if I’m wrong
No,I give to St. Judes and Shriners every month instead.
Posted By: RAM Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23
Bathe at church! Tried it once. Haven't allowed Open Baptism's since
Originally Posted by ihookem
[quote=antlers]Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.

We are certainly not under the mosaic law... if you think you are, like I said, you better start sacrificing some animals... and going to church on Saturday.... FWIW, Jesus repeated and told us to follow 9 of the 10 commandments.. He omitted keeping the sabbath... thus another reason we do not worship on Saturdays and we worship on Sunday (the day Jesus was raised from the dead...)

So do you worship on Saturday or Sunday? because if it is Sunday, you do not keep the law
Posted By: RAM Re: How many tithe at church - 06/29/23

My girl brought home a 17 page Contract to be a Member of a local Christian Church she wished to begin attending. Yes there was a section on "Compulsory Tithing" reading the boiler plate reminded me of IRS' section on compelled compliance.

There is no more personal relationship than the one between a man and his God. Who invited the Lawyers?
Every one has 100% right to their individual opinion, that said, mocking God is very disrespectful to me. God is not to be mocked, read the Bible and you will find the scripture.
The man asked a simple question, embarrassing to see what is to me a very special event turned into whatever you want to call some of the responses. Everyone certainly has the right to say and do what they want to do, I’ve lost my cool on this site and showed my butt.
I’m so thankful I didn’t reject Religion, many times and many years I did what I wanted to do regardless of other people, but openly chastising those who believe and walk the walk never that I can remember.
If I can tell you about my Jesus, i would really like to tell you what I have personally experienced. Private message me and I’ll give you my phone number to call, this open forum is not the place for my story.
Sincerely
John - a believer in God my Father through his son Jesus Christ
Posted By: RAM Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
One man's mocking is another man's........

Show a little tolerance brother. Its all perspective.
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
Every one has 100% right to their individual opinion, that said, mocking God is very disrespectful to me. God is not to be mocked, read the Bible and you will find the scripture.
The man asked a simple question, embarrassing to see what is to me a very special event turned into whatever you want to call some of the responses. Everyone certainly has the right to say and do what they want to do, I’ve lost my cool on this site and showed my butt.
I’m so thankful I didn’t reject Religion, many times and many years I did what I wanted to do regardless of other people, but openly chastising those who believe and walk the walk never that I can remember.
If I can tell you about my Jesus, i would really like to tell you what I have personally experienced. Private message me and I’ll give you my phone number to call, this open forum is not the place for my story.
Sincerely
John - a believer in God my Father through his son Jesus Christ
A public forum is the perfect place to talk about your Jesus.
I'm sorry, but Catholicism is all show. They practice and do so much shìt that's found literally nowhere in the Bible. The only intermediary to God is Jesus, not a pope, priest, etc.. Where did hail marys, praying to saints and all that come from? Especially when the Bible says to not pray to the dead.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Of course, nothing is settled. There are almost as many opinions as there are religions, each one finding fault with the other…
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

LOL, to quote Jim Conrad on the LDS, "They'll tolerate a certain amount of rascalry if that tithe check don't bounce!"
Posted By: Calvin Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
yeah but becoming less and less motivated to do so.
Posted By: DBT Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
I'm sorry, but Catholicism is all show. They practice and do so much shìt that's found literally nowhere in the Bible. The only intermediary to God is Jesus, not a pope, priest, etc.. Where did hail marys, praying to saints and all that come from? Especially when the Bible says to not pray to the dead.

Yet it is written, "thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
Posted By: moosemike Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Yes. I've tithed since 1998
Posted By: IA_fog Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
That’s why our church voted to disaffiliate
Originally Posted by RAM
One man's mocking is another man's........

Show a little tolerance brother. Its all perspective.

Yup, it's called Grace. After all, It is God's Grace and His mercy that sees us in the Spirit, not the flesh. We are called specifically to NOT see each other in the flesh, but in the Spirit as God sees us.

Ed
Posted By: Hastings Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Paul warns anyone trying to live under both covenants that they then have to keep both which they cannot do... Paul gets so frustrated with them that he tells the ones teaching that they still have to be circumsised that they should go ahead and cut the whole thing off...
You would do well to leave Paul out of your study of Christianity. He injected himself into the church under very dubious circumstances.

Why not use John the Baptist and Jesus' teachings?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
The more I give, the more I make......funny how that works.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
You fellas ain’t given your money to Jesus Christ FYI
Posted By: antlers Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
When Jesus was gathered with His closest followers on their way to Caesarea Philippi, He inquired of them what the word on the street was about Him. They replied that some thought He was a reincarnated prophet and some thought He was John the Baptist brought back to life. Then He asked them specifically who they (His closest followers) thought He was, and Peter made his profound and declarative statement, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

And Jesus not only confirmed the truth and accuracy of Peter’s declaration, He also said that on the basis of that eloquent statement, that He’d build His ekklesia, His assembly, His movement. Peter’s profound and declarative statement was the rock that Jesus was referring to that He’d build His church on.

And He made it crystal clear to them that death would not overcome His ekklesia. Not His death, and not their deaths. Nothing was gonna stop His new movement. And it didn’t. And it hasn’t. And it won’t.

And some of those same closest followers of Jesus would document why His death was not the death of His movement. And the reason why Jesus’ death was not the death of His movement is because Jesus didn’t do what all other dead people do ~ He didn’t stay dead.
no. the tithe is an income tax invented by governments to fund the state church, such as the anglican church in great britain. the "tax" on which the "modern" tithe is based, is the Old Testament 10 percent share of agricultural production in ancient Hebrew society to make sure the priestly class (levites) had enough to eat. the priestly class raised herb gardens to tax themselves 10 percent of the crop to and meet the letter of the law. Yeshua Messiah never mentioned the "tithe" in the NT. yes, He did say, repeatedly, for believers to be generous, from the heart. there are many, many ways to give, including money.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
I give freely of my talents limited as they are...
Posted By: SamOlson Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Between St Jude every Christmas, the local rez dog rescue(great project) and couple other worthy, local annual fundraisers we are pretty much tithed out.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Malachi 3:10
King James Bible
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Matthew 6:4
King James Bible
That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23

We are still under the law of Moses when it comes to the Ten Commandments. That I think we all know. Stoning a dishonorable child? I think we would all be dead. As for me, I still tithe. However, I am unhappy with our last church , the way they spent money , and not real happy with our new none that we have been attending 3 yrs. now... Just a question for believers. I worked at another church remodeling their youth room. My boss, is the pastor and told me to send an invoice . I told him I won't do that . It is free. It would have come to $900 otherwise. I did not tithe the last $900 to our church. One reason is , cause I have been mad at our church cause we don't have a youth group and I have been telling church leaders it is imperative to have a youth group but no one wants to do it. I wont , cause I am a 60 yr old man and refuse to give advise to 12 yr. old girls about sex and drugs and Rock and Roll.. I already teach the 4 to 9 yr olds ever 3 weeks and help out almost every week anyway. So, I did not tithe my last $9,000 , and that would have been $900 . I am not sure it is right, but I believe every church needs a youth group.. The last check came in and I will continue tithing from now on.. It is very upsetting to teach kids , have them turn 10 and they disappear and stop going to church altogether. I believe the kids from birth to 18 is more ministry that the old farts sitting in the benches and the church is already imploding all over America, and this is one reason why. Satan is going to eat these kids for lunch if they don't get support from other christian kids . I have tested the spirit and even prayed about it. but I just don't feel conviction. . What do you other christians think?

I believe that you give your tithe or offering regardless of your thoughts or feeling about whether you have a youth group or not.
Your gift is ultimately to God himself. Do all things as unto the Lord. It's a form of worship to Him.
1 Timothy 6:10
King James Bible
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

I believe
The tenth is yet another example of the Grace of God.
He owns it all.
He allows us to keep the 9/10ths and as an act of discipline give Him the 1/10th.

Often heard if you want to see what someone loves look at their checkbook register!!!
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
King James Bible
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Malachi was clearly admonishing the priests for the misuse of the tithes and offerings. He was not talking to those who gave them. Read the whole thing in context.
I'm aware of the context and the intent. It clearly says in the previous verses they have strayed and this is how to get back right with God. Sounds to me like something we should take heed and follow as well, lest we get crossways with God ourselves.

Mike
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Yep!
Jesus probably didn't intend for the catholic church to turn into the joke and circus that it is.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Tithing isn't what you have to do to be a Christian or to get to Heaven. Tithing is showing God that we are good stewards with He has provided for us.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Acts 5 is a good read.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
King James Bible

The first time I paid tithing I was about 17. It was with the last of the cash I had and I was responsible for feeding myself at the time. The next day the phone started to ring. A kid out of the blue asked me to build him an expensive speaker box.

I barely finished that and a lady I knew called and asked me to come see if I could figure out her home theater system because the local shop couldn't get it running. It took me about 5 minutes to rewire it and she gave me $50.

Then a freak hail storm hit and knocked the screens out of several people's old c band 10 foot wine guard satellite dishes. My dad had recently closed his electronics store which used to sell them so everyone called him. He normally charged people hundreds of dollars to fix them and then sent me to do it and paid me $2.50 an hour and didn't pay me for travel time.

I knew it was a miracle when my dad told me to just handle them myself and charge what I wanted and keep the money. My dad had never done anything like that before he always made sure he got all the cash. At the end of the week I had hundreds of dollars and this was like 1990.

I haven't missed paying tithing since then and although I've had some lean times things have always worked out somehow.

Bb
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The more I give, the more I make......funny how that works.

Same here Raider
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

LOL, to quote Jim Conrad on the LDS, "They'll tolerate a certain amount of rascalry if that tithe check don't bounce!"

LOL - That’s no kind of insight and certainly not unique to the LDS. Can one still buy indulgences?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Jesus probably didn't intend for the catholic church to turn into the joke and circus that it is.
I think he didn't intend a lot of stuff that has turned into circuses in the world today to become so.
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by weaselsRus

LOL - That’s no kind of insight and certainly not unique to the LDS. Can one still buy indulgences?
I knew a Mormon farmer that called his tithing his "fire insurance".
Posted By: SuperCub Re: How many tithe at church - 06/30/23
Originally Posted by DBT
Catholics are Christians.
Yup, and they worship the Pope and Mary as well. ........ Does "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ring a bell?
Posted By: ihookem Re: How many tithe at church - 07/03/23
[quote=antlers]Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.

We are certainly not under the mosaic law... if you think you are, like I said, you better start sacrificing some animals... and going to church on Saturday.... FWIW, Jesus repeated and told us to follow 9 of the 10 commandments.. He omitted keeping the sabbath... thus another reason we do not worship on Saturdays and we worship on Sunday (the day Jesus was raised from the dead...)

So do you worship on Saturday or Sunday? because if it is Sunday, you do not keep the law

And on the other hand we are under Mosaic law. If we are not, then we dont have to obey the Ten Commandments. I also sacrifice animals. I kill coons .
Posted By: EdM Re: How many tithe at church - 07/03/23
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Between St Jude every Christmas, the local rez dog rescue(great project) and couple other worthy, local annual fundraisers we are pretty much tithed out.

Kind of the same here Sam. End of year St. Jude and my local VFD get checks.
Originally Posted by EdM

That's how we do it.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by EdM

That's how we do it.
Yeah, can’t miss any services or oil changes.
Posted By: Hastings Re: How many tithe at church - 07/03/23
I think the tithe properly administered was a wonderful idea. And there were at times additional tithes beyond the 10%. But they were administering the whole nation on that. Now so much of what the Levites were doing (sometimes outside God's will) is handled by the civil government and is forbidden involvement by the church in some cases such as defense of the nation and the civil and criminal justice system. The welfare help for the poor is now a government program although we did step in with food and children's school clothes.

The Levite priesthood is kind of hard to distinguish now, so we have to muddle along the best we can. I raise calves so I have at times cut out the tenth one under the rod for my local church as an example of how the old tithing would get less out of me. I did that after a heated exchange I had with the preacher who was admonishing poor people in our congregation to give 1/10 minimum of their gross receipts.

I also pointed out a member with an auto body shop and diesel truck shop that might easily gross a couple million and maybe clear $100K if he was lucky. My question was if he thought the shop owner should tithe the gross. The answer I got was "whatever the Lord leads".
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by EdM

That's how we do it.

Huh?
Posted By: EdM Re: How many tithe at church - 07/03/23
Originally Posted by EdM

That's how we do it.

Huh?

Have you ever seen the idiot post anything of value let alone outdoors?
Posted By: BuzzH Re: How many tithe at church - 07/03/23
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

That's how we do it.

Huh?

20,000 posts and alwaysoutdoors, riggghhhtttt.

Oh and in TN.

LOL.
Originally Posted by Lucas1
Tithing isn't what you have to do to be a Christian or to get to Heaven. Tithing is showing God that we are good stewards with He has provided for us.

That is EXACTLY RIGHT...

Tithing to the church OR your community is the means by which one commits the ACT of Service/Stewardship.

I endeavor to give/gift virtually every single day... money, stuff, ammo, guns, loan cars, loan real estate etc. etc. Or my talents (trophy case for the local HS... local Fire Station design...).

SERVE YOUR COMMUNITY...

BUT never support a parasite... EVER.
Originally Posted by Jahrs

Stop dancing so much!

Silver slippers. 😇

Lol.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How many tithe at church - 07/03/23
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

That's how we do it.

Huh?

20,000 posts and alwaysoutdoors, riggghhhtttt.

Oh and in TN.

LOL.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jameister Re: How many tithe at church - 07/03/23
A tenth to God,
A tenth to save.

Leaves 80 Per Cent,
to misbehave.
Posted By: Hastings Re: How many tithe at church - 07/03/23
Originally Posted by jameister
A tenth to God,
A tenth to save.

Leaves 80 Per Cent,
to misbehave.
A tenth of what? And how do we give it to God? Through a middleman?
Posted By: LBP Re: How many tithe at church - 07/13/23
Kenneth Copeland sure believes in tithing!

Have you guys seen this? This guy is a squirrel!
Since we are the Church, tithing DOESN’T mean to the building we meet at, it means to the Kingdom of God. We volunteer our time at the meeting place and give a small amount specifically marked for “utilities”. The bulk of out “tithe” goes to other charities, always slated for children.

We don’t give to missionaries, homeless, or meeting places for denominations.
© 24hourcampfire