Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Between St Jude every Christmas, the local rez dog rescue(great project) and couple other worthy, local annual fundraisers we are pretty much tithed out.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Malachi 3:10
King James Bible
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Matthew 6:4
King James Bible
That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by antlers
Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.

Christians should take the whole Bible into consideration, not just the New Testament. Jesus said so Himself.

We are certainly under the law
Originally Posted by shrapnel
So, there is no value in reading or paying any attention to the Old Testament? An explanation of why or why not would be in order…
Yes, for inspiration and motivation, but not for application. Jesus’ followers are not under the Law of Moses. Period.

We are still under the law of Moses when it comes to the Ten Commandments. That I think we all know. Stoning a dishonorable child? I think we would all be dead. As for me, I still tithe. However, I am unhappy with our last church , the way they spent money , and not real happy with our new none that we have been attending 3 yrs. now... Just a question for believers. I worked at another church remodeling their youth room. My boss, is the pastor and told me to send an invoice . I told him I won't do that . It is free. It would have come to $900 otherwise. I did not tithe the last $900 to our church. One reason is , cause I have been mad at our church cause we don't have a youth group and I have been telling church leaders it is imperative to have a youth group but no one wants to do it. I wont , cause I am a 60 yr old man and refuse to give advise to 12 yr. old girls about sex and drugs and Rock and Roll.. I already teach the 4 to 9 yr olds ever 3 weeks and help out almost every week anyway. So, I did not tithe my last $9,000 , and that would have been $900 . I am not sure it is right, but I believe every church needs a youth group.. The last check came in and I will continue tithing from now on.. It is very upsetting to teach kids , have them turn 10 and they disappear and stop going to church altogether. I believe the kids from birth to 18 is more ministry that the old farts sitting in the benches and the church is already imploding all over America, and this is one reason why. Satan is going to eat these kids for lunch if they don't get support from other christian kids . I have tested the spirit and even prayed about it. but I just don't feel conviction. . What do you other christians think?

I believe that you give your tithe or offering regardless of your thoughts or feeling about whether you have a youth group or not.
Your gift is ultimately to God himself. Do all things as unto the Lord. It's a form of worship to Him.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1 Timothy 6:10
King James Bible
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

I believe
The tenth is yet another example of the Grace of God.
He owns it all.
He allows us to keep the 9/10ths and as an act of discipline give Him the 1/10th.

Often heard if you want to see what someone loves look at their checkbook register!!!

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
King James Bible
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Malachi was clearly admonishing the priests for the misuse of the tithes and offerings. He was not talking to those who gave them. Read the whole thing in context.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm aware of the context and the intent. It clearly says in the previous verses they have strayed and this is how to get back right with God. Sounds to me like something we should take heed and follow as well, lest we get crossways with God ourselves.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep!

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jesus probably didn't intend for the catholic church to turn into the joke and circus that it is.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Tithing isn't what you have to do to be a Christian or to get to Heaven. Tithing is showing God that we are good stewards with He has provided for us.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Acts 5 is a good read.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
King James Bible

The first time I paid tithing I was about 17. It was with the last of the cash I had and I was responsible for feeding myself at the time. The next day the phone started to ring. A kid out of the blue asked me to build him an expensive speaker box.

I barely finished that and a lady I knew called and asked me to come see if I could figure out her home theater system because the local shop couldn't get it running. It took me about 5 minutes to rewire it and she gave me $50.

Then a freak hail storm hit and knocked the screens out of several people's old c band 10 foot wine guard satellite dishes. My dad had recently closed his electronics store which used to sell them so everyone called him. He normally charged people hundreds of dollars to fix them and then sent me to do it and paid me $2.50 an hour and didn't pay me for travel time.

I knew it was a miracle when my dad told me to just handle them myself and charge what I wanted and keep the money. My dad had never done anything like that before he always made sure he got all the cash. At the end of the week I had hundreds of dollars and this was like 1990.

I haven't missed paying tithing since then and although I've had some lean times things have always worked out somehow.

Bb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The more I give, the more I make......funny how that works.

Same here Raider

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Mormons.........ready, set, go!

Hasn't been a good religion bashing thread in at least three weeks.

LOL, to quote Jim Conrad on the LDS, "They'll tolerate a certain amount of rascalry if that tithe check don't bounce!"

LOL - That’s no kind of insight and certainly not unique to the LDS. Can one still buy indulgences?

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Jesus probably didn't intend for the catholic church to turn into the joke and circus that it is.
I think he didn't intend a lot of stuff that has turned into circuses in the world today to become so.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
LOL, to quote Jim Conrad on the LDS, "They'll tolerate a certain amount of rascalry if that tithe check don't bounce!"

LOL - That’s no kind of insight and certainly not unique to the LDS. Can one still buy indulgences?
I knew a Mormon farmer that called his tithing his "fire insurance".

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Catholics are Christians.
Yup, and they worship the Pope and Mary as well. ........ Does "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ring a bell?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Sako
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by JamesJr
[quote=antlers]Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.

Christians should take the whole Bible into consideration, not just the New Testament. Jesus said so Himself.

We are certainly under the law
Originally Posted by shrapnel
So, there is no value in reading or paying any attention to the Old Testament? An explanation of why or why not would be in order…
Yes, for inspiration and motivation, but not for application. Jesus’ followers are not under the Law of Moses. Period.

We are certainly not under the mosaic law... if you think you are, like I said, you better start sacrificing some animals... and going to church on Saturday.... FWIW, Jesus repeated and told us to follow 9 of the 10 commandments.. He omitted keeping the sabbath... thus another reason we do not worship on Saturdays and we worship on Sunday (the day Jesus was raised from the dead...)

So do you worship on Saturday or Sunday? because if it is Sunday, you do not keep the law

And on the other hand we are under Mosaic law. If we are not, then we dont have to obey the Ten Commandments. I also sacrifice animals. I kill coons .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Between St Jude every Christmas, the local rez dog rescue(great project) and couple other worthy, local annual fundraisers we are pretty much tithed out.

Kind of the same here Sam. End of year St. Jude and my local VFD get checks.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,282
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.