Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Sako
Well since Christians are not told to Tithe but to give as we are blessed... No. Tithing was under the 1st covenant with Abraham... Christians live under the new covenant in Christs blood... AKA the 2nd covenant for salvation... We are told by Jesus to follow his commands... He does not command us to tithe but he tells us to give as we are blessed... we are not called to give a certain percentage.

Any preacher that preaches you have to give a certain percentage is either incredibly uneducated on the bible or are simple a false teacher....

So, there is no value in reading or paying any attention to the Old Testament?

An explanation of why or why not would be in order…

Historical information is important... You have to know the old testament to understand that Jesus was who he said he was... and that what happened to him was foretold... Also, the Psalms are wonderful for refreshing the spirit... Proverbs are something everyeone should read as they contain very good advice... However, if you cannot read the new testament and see that the law of the old testament is passed and that you live under the new covenant and do not follow the commands of the OT... well you better start killing animals to get your sins forgiven

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely, we tithe heavily.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by antlers
Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.

Christians should take the whole Bible into consideration, not just the New Testament. Jesus said so Himself.

Consideration... if you actually take the OT and the NT into consideration you will understand that the 10% (actually more) was commanded under the old covenant and was given to the physical nation of israel... Christians today live under the new covenant in Jesus Christ... Jesus Christ himself never told us to follow the OT law... He actually told us to follow his commands... He told us to give as we are blessed... never gave us a percentage... There is no way to take the whole bible into consideration with what we are told in it and still think you have to follow OT law that was given to the physical nation of Israel... Paul warns anyone trying to live under both covenants that they then have to keep both which they cannot do... Paul gets so frustrated with them that he tells the ones teaching that they still have to be circumsized that they should go ahead and cut the whole thing off... He plainly says we do not have to be circumsized today... but if you think we have to tithe since it is an OT law, do you believe you have to be circumsized to go to heaven... If you do believe that how do you explain Paul telling us we do not

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nowhere in the New Testament are Jesus’ followers commanded to give one tenth of their annual produce or earnings.
Christians should take the whole Bible into consideration, not just the New Testament. Jesus said so Himself.
You all in for stoning to death people who dishonor their parents…? You all in for stoning to death adulterers…?

That has nothing to do with it, and if you actually knew anything, you'd know that. If you believe in Jesus, then you also must believe in the Old Testament. No other way around it.

There is a difference in believing in the OT and following the OT law for forgiveness... you cannot follow both laws... you cannot keep the all OT mosaic laws.

Circumcision was part of the OT law for forgiveness given to the physical nation of Israel... Do you believe you have to be circumsized today to go to heaven? or do you believe what Paul said about circumcision? (that we do not have to be)... So if you believe both, they contradict each other... so which one are you gonna chose or are you saying God is not smart enough not to contradict Himself or to keep him word intack for us today

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Absolutely, we tithe heavily.

Blessings,

Steve

So do you tithe or do you give... There is a difference... Tithing is a command to give a certain percentage... If you feel you have to follow the OT law for the forgiveness of sins are you saying that Jesus sacrifice on the cross and the New Covenant in his blood is not good enough?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
People need to remember there is a difference in tithing and giving... just because you are giving money to the church does not mean you are tithing... Now if you believe you have to give a certain percentage and you give that percentage because you are "tithing" then you are... but just because you are giving money as Jesus Christ told us to, does not mean giving a certain percentage.... Technically if you follow Jesus commands, the more you make the more you should give...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hanco
We did for a long time, but don’t any more since they allow gay pastors in the Methodist church. Do you

There has been a split in the UMC and some churches that left it are forming a more Conservative conference. Look around , you might find one close to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a long-winded excuse for cherry-pickin’ to me Hastings. Plain and simple. You pick out a few commands from the Mosaic Law that you wanna abide by, and then make excuses for why you can’t abide by the other hundreds and hundreds of commands in the Mosaic Law. You cherry-pick a few of em’ that appeal to you and call it good.

It was Jesus Himself…not Paul…who said the Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until the time of John the Baptist. But since the time of John the Baptist, the Gospel is being preached.

Originally Posted by Hastings
And he further said not one iota of the law would pass away until heaven and earth pass away.
No. You intentionally left out the most important part of that verse. He said that until heaven and earth pass away, not one iota of the Law would pass away, until everything in the Law was fulfilled. And it was fulfilled. By Jesus. Just like He said.

And it was the apostle Peter and James, Jesus’ own brother and the leader of the church in Jerusalem…not Paul…who made it crystal clear that not only are Gentiles not bound by the old covenant (the Law of Moses), but that the Jews themselves are saved the same way as the Gentiles are ~ by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus alone, and not by following a buncha rules that were only applicable to the ancient Israelites in the first place. Or in your case, cherry-pickin’ a few of em’ that appeal to you and callin’ it good.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako
You all in for stoning to death people who dishonor their parents…? You all in for stoning to death adulterers…?

That has nothing to do with it, and if you actually knew anything, you'd know that. If you believe in Jesus, then you also must believe in the Old Testament. No other way around it.

There is a difference in believing in the OT and following the OT law for forgiveness... you cannot follow both laws... you cannot keep the all OT mosaic laws.

Circumcision was part of the OT law for forgiveness given to the physical nation of Israel... Do you believe you have to be circumsized today to go to heaven? or do you believe what Paul said about circumcision? (that we do not have to be)... So if you believe both, they contradict each other... so which one are you gonna chose or are you saying God is not smart enough not to contradict Himself or to keep him word intack for us today

Basically speaking, the OT lays down the groundwork for the Savior coming. It is true that God in the OT did give the Jews a lot of laws that they had to follow..........the key word being Jews. We cannot disregard the OT, although there are many parts of it that I believe do not apply to us today. But, such things as the Ten Commandments still do, as Jesus said in NT.

One has to study and read the entire Bible, OT and NT, and see how they fit together. Just saying that you believe in Jesus, and all that OT crap is irrelevant is treading on dangerous ground. Jesus himself said that on several occasions. It all is like a big puzzle, fitting together just as God planned.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sako and antlers…..Great posts…thanks!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

We are certainly under the law
Originally Posted by shrapnel
So, there is no value in reading or paying any attention to the Old Testament? An explanation of why or why not would be in order…
Yes, for inspiration and motivation, but not for application. Jesus’ followers are not under the Law of Moses. Period.

We are still under the law of Moses when it comes to the Ten Commandments. That I think we all know. Stoning a dishonorable child? I think we would all be dead. As for me, I still tithe. However, I am unhappy with our last church , the way they spent money , and not real happy with our new none that we have been attending 3 yrs. now... Just a question for believers. I worked at another church remodeling their youth room. My boss, is the pastor and told me to send an invoice . I told him I won't do that . It is free. It would have come to $900 otherwise. I did not tithe the last $900 to our church. One reason is , cause I have been mad at our church cause we don't have a youth group and I have been telling church leaders it is imperative to have a youth group but no one wants to do it. I wont , cause I am a 60 yr old man and refuse to give advise to 12 yr. old girls about sex and drugs and Rock and Roll.. I already teach the 4 to 9 yr olds ever 3 weeks and help out almost every week anyway. So, I did not tithe my last $9,000 , and that would have been $900 . I am not sure it is right, but I believe every church needs a youth group.. The last check came in and I will continue tithing from now on.. It is very upsetting to teach kids , have them turn 10 and they disappear and stop going to church altogether. I believe the kids from birth to 18 is more ministry that the old farts sitting in the benches and the church is already imploding all over America, and this is one reason why. Satan is going to eat these kids for lunch if they don't get support from other christian kids . I have tested the spirit and even prayed about it. but I just don't feel conviction. . What do you other christians think?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't go except for weddings and funerals and such, so my answer would be no to tithing.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I don't care what someone else does with their money.

But, I also dont care for someone crying to me about money troubles, when they're giving up a piece of their income to a church.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Giving in the Church, the Body of Christ, should be done freely, willingly, without guilt or compulsion. Tithing has no place scripturally in the Church, except that God loves a cheerful giver (but there is no 10%+ mandate), 2 Corinthians 9:7.

First found in Genesis 14:20, tithing was part of the Mosaic Law to support the Levitical priesthood, as they had no land allotment, Numbers 18:20, 25-29. Tithing also supported the poor in those days Deut 14:28-29, 26:12.

Tithing today has been exploited by churches and religious leaders and is used as a guilt mechanism to support religious institutions and causes.

The Church is under grace, not the Law, and grace is the basis (or should be) for Christian giving. As 2 Corinthians 9:7 says, God loves a cheerful giver, but that is up to the giver and what’s in his heart…

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We tithe. Pastors that don’t ought not to preach.
My church is a very giving church.
Been there 10 years, never preached a sermon dedicated to tithing. No need. They do.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A person doesn't even need to attend church to have a relationship with God so why the hell should a person give money to a church?
And catholic isn't Christian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
We did for a long time, but don’t any more since they allow gay pastors in the Methodist church. Do you
No tithes, just offerings. No plate passed during service, just a box in the back of the church for cheques and cash as well as email money transfers.

Tithes are OT.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Catholics are Christians. The catholic church brought you the bible. Jesus reportedly said to Peter, "thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

Last edited by DBT; 06/29/23.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I deal with lots of churches and have sat a many a Sunday in church but here’s the deal in every one of them there’s to many chiefs and not enough indians tell me if I’m wrong

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
No,I give to St. Judes and Shriners every month instead.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.