Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
A real man raised his hand, took the oath, and did his effing job.

I was too young but one of my brothers got drafted. He was on the ground in Cambodia while you were flying cover. I know he appreciated everyone overhead, especially the door gunners.

Someone once asked him why he didn't go to Canada. He just shrugged and said if not him, they would've just drafted the next guy.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a real man.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RR, one big sign of a lack of intellect is to attack a person rather than refute what they have stated.

An officer or a NCO has a duty to the people under them. By fulfilling that duty they earn respect. Failing to do that duty should earn them nothing but contempt.

There is not one reason a private should help an officer earn a promotion if said officer fails to see that said private is provided with adequate clothing, food, and quarters. If the private is living in squalor, so should the officer.

We had 5 batteries. In a couple of them one could get a decent meal. We would ride hours in the back of a deuce and a half to get to one of those mess halls. The other batteries had mess sergeants selling food out the back door. The difference between the batteries with good mess halls and those with bad was the battery's company commander.

A private had three choices, one assist the person who was screwing you over, be complacent and do as little as possible, or fight back. When you have eaten as many cans of dog food as I did, I might consider your opinion worthy. My guess is that you were taking care of Rocky without consideration of those below your exalted rank.

My duty was to call bull poop on the corrupt officer corp from LBJ on down.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In other words, a pot-stirring REMF. No wonder you couldn't buy any respect.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"the battery's company commander"?

I grow more suspect of you with every post.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man dats funny.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by eclectic
The draft ended in 1972. They called up to number 95, I was 83. Someone born in 1954 would not have been eligible for the draft until 1974.

A couple of interesting things. I was drafted with monocular vision. My left eye was scarred and the idiot doctor at the draft physical thought it was from being in a fight. I had tried to join prior and was turned down due to having monocular vision.

Meanwhile, I had found a decent job and gotten married. I went to the physical thinking I was going to be sent home, but was sworn in, loaded on a bus and shipped off without being told where I was going. That night I climbed out a second story window and shinnied down a drain pipe to call home.

1972 was an election year. The first thing I did when I arrived at basic in late October was to tell them I wanted to vote. I was denied that right. Hence, I considered it slavery.

In my two years, I mostly encountered idiots in leadership positions. They held huge classes to teach the ASVAB as one needed a score showing at least a modicum of intelligence to become a NCO. Most attendees had to take the class multiple times.

I spent most of my time handing out rubbers, giving safe sex lectures, and making sure prostitutes had passed their weekly VD exam. The only thing more plentiful than prostitutes was drugs. I was basically a doorman in a whore house.

A study done a couple of years ago showed it on average took a draftee's family 3 generations to reach financial parity with those who had not been drafted. We were taken from schools, careers, and decent jobs to be paid a substandard wage. Many of us had to defer paying bills which left us with a huge financial hole to climb out of once released.

There were race problems, but I will say that the three people I met in leadership positions and could respect were black.

Your post is bizarre dude....a guy couldn't be drafted until he was 20 years old? They deemed you fit for the draft via a physical, then shipped you off that same day without opportunity to talk to family? The Army then denied you the right to vote? You were in charge of making sure prostitutes had passed their weekly VD exam? Govt sponsored hookers? I am sure there were some situations like that, but they weren't even somewhat under the table? The study you mention also doesn't match my experience with family friends who were drafted.

I wasn't born till '79 so I have no first hand experience of what went on back then but this is the first I have heard of a lot of the things you're mentioning here...and I come from a LONG military background.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/02/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
eclectic, you are the one who said he never fit in, made trouble wherever you went, and took deliberate steps to be obnoxious. You have no flipping idea what or who I took care of, or how.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Did Defugg come up with another sock puppet? We need to stop feeding the troll!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1... It is usually pretty easy to tell the actual players from the fans in these sorts of threads.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I think the only batteries he's ever been familiar with are the ones he uses in his Maglite.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Craigster
I think the only batteries he's ever been familiar with are the ones he uses in his Maglite d i l d o.

Fixed it!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Originally Posted by Craigster
I think the only batteries he's ever been familiar with are the ones he uses in his Maglite d i l d o.

Fixed it!

Good job !

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You people are laughable. It would take less than 10 minutes to find the strength of a Nike Hercules battery in Korea, the rank of the officer in charge and the relationship between the US military, the Korean government and prostitution. But you guys would rather sit around and pull each others cranks. Go ahead and attack the messenger, it is easier than thinking.

Leadership failed. It was unbecoming if an officer went to a prostitute, but get her a job in the mess hall and he was dating a waitress.

Call me a REMF if you want, the dim wits in the military put me there. I had no choice in the matter. The way you guys act, you would help your rapist rather than fight back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You people are laughable. It would take less than 10 minutes to find the strength of a Nike Hercules battery in Korea, the rank of the officer in charge and the relationship between the US military, the Korean government and prostitution. But you guys would rather sit around and pull each others cranks. Go ahead and attack the messenger, it is easier than thinking.

Leadership failed. It was unbecoming if an officer went to a prostitute, but get her a job in the mess hall and he was dating a waitress.

Call me a REMF if you want, the dim wits in the military put me there. I had no choice in the matter. The way you guys act, you would help your rapist rather than fight back.

I would guess they put you there for a reason. By the way, what's the MOS for a whorehouse door gunner ? Tell us what your "given" MOS was.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am not a Vietnam veteran but my father is and he lost friends there. There is a book titled No True Glory. It ends with a paragraph that is as applicable to the veterans of Vietnam as it is to Fallujah.

Originally Posted by No True Glory
In The Iliad a warrior in the front ranks turned to his companion and said, "Let us win glory for ourselves, or yield it to others." For Greek warriors, there was no true glory if they were not remembered afterward in poem or in song. There will be no true glory for our soldiers in Iraq until they are recognized not as victims, but as aggressive warriors. Stories of their bravery deserved to be recorded and read by the next generation. Unsung, the noblest deed will die.

Happy 4th to you all.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I'm almost certainly a little slower than most of the guys...for many years afterward, I thought we went where we were told, did the best we could, got the best result we could given the mismanagement and presidential f...kery of limited war. I didn't finally wake up until the details of the Gulf of Tonkin incidents were declassified in 2005. Now, I am of the opinion that it was just another boondoggle by the DC Military Industrial Complex bought politicians...with the added bonus of 58,000 names on the wall. Too bad Robert McNamara didn't make the wall.
+1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The draft ended in 1972. They called up to number 95, I was 83. Someone born in 1954 would not have been eligible for the draft until 1974.

A couple of interesting things. I was drafted with monocular vision. My left eye was scarred and the idiot doctor at the draft physical thought it was from being in a fight. I had tried to join prior and was turned down due to having monocular vision.

Meanwhile, I had found a decent job and gotten married. I went to the physical thinking I was going to be sent home, but was sworn in, loaded on a bus and shipped off without being told where I was going. That night I climbed out a second story window and shinnied down a drain pipe to call home.

1972 was an election year. The first thing I did when I arrived at basic in late October was to tell them I wanted to vote. I was denied that right. Hence, I considered it slavery.

In my two years, I mostly encountered idiots in leadership positions. They held huge classes to teach the ASVAB as one needed a score showing at least a modicum of intelligence to become a NCO. Most attendees had to take the class multiple times.

I spent most of my time handing out rubbers, giving safe sex lectures, and making sure prostitutes had passed their weekly VD exam. The only thing more plentiful than prostitutes was drugs. I was basically a doorman in a whore house.

A study done a couple of years ago showed it on average took a draftee's family 3 generations to reach financial parity with those who had not been drafted. We were taken from schools, careers, and decent jobs to be paid a substandard wage. Many of us had to defer paying bills which left us with a huge financial hole to climb out of once released.

There were race problems, but I will say that the three people I met in leadership positions and could respect were black.

All made up.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad was the Operations Officer of the 2/94 Field Artillery when it deployed from Ft. Sill to Camp JJ Carroll in northern South Vietnam. The 2/94 was attached to the 3rd Marine Division and fired their their support, as well as in support of South Korea Army operations in the area. He had lots of great stories. Tales of firing on pink elephants the NVA used to for transport (pink when they rolled in the red clay and the sun baked in on to a pink color), hitting a NVA AA position with the first shot to the excitement of a Marine spotter, using a 175mm gun as a sniper rifle to take out a sniper. Ton of good stories.

One of my favorites was the story about the NVA attack on Camp Carroll in March 1967. My dad's tent took a hit from a 122mm rocket (he wasn't in it). But the NVA managed to hit the mess tent blowing it up and sending donuts the cook was making all over. Dad said when the attack was over, Marines were rummaging through the area picking up and eating the donuts.

Dad died a couple of years ago. Just a couple of months before my mom did. Here's that old soldier and his wife of well over 60 years years going to their final resting place together. (Dad always had a juvenile sense of humor. Had he seen this, he would have said something about the horse chit to my mom and laughed. My mom would have tensed up and rolled her eyes. LOL.) (And my dad always looked out for my mom. In this pic, it's nearly 100 degrees in August. Dad made sure mom had the A/C.)

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/03/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Once you sign up you forever lose any personal right to choose moral and just behavior. "Serving my country" is a thin ethical shield against crimes and sins committed in her service. Such an excuse got plenty of soldiers shot or hanged when their side lost. Vietnam, like most wars was evil, immoral, and extremely profitable. There was no national security risk at stake at all, no humanitarian crisis either. LBJ rewarded his deep pocket backers and psychopathic generals like Bombs Away LeMay, who helped him kill JFK and escape prison. I have a lot of sympathy for those duped into service but there was nothing patriotic much less heroic in it. Many of them kill themselves every week. It was a sick, abysmal waste. I refused.

Big fan of Jimmy Carter?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 702 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.