-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a guy who operates an auction house about 40 miles from Des Moines. I think his premium is 15%. He advertises well and he always has a great crowd. My guess is he is fair and depending on the folks who show up the sellers get a fair return. He doesn't know a lot about guns but he has some help that does. I don't know anyone who has felt cheated when the auction ends.

Not everyone has an auction house like this but this guy has a good reputation and he gets good crowds. He is a cash or check operation so credit cards won't work.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
The Estate went with Lock Stock and Barrel. The guns will be posted on Gunbroker over the summer, starting in July and going through September. Some really neat guns, some are just very run of the mill. Lots and lots of lever guns, some antique and vintage, some are NIB, some are engraved and inlaid. If you're interested drop me a PM here and I'll put you on an email list for more information.

Glad to have your interest but be advised in advance that I'm not going to answer individual questions, especially not on condition, or anything like that, so don't get your nose out of joint when I don't reply with details.

Thanks for all the help on this, all of you with your opinions helped us form a real solid idea of what to do and how to go about this that made the most sense for everyone.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
U
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
U
Take them to The Exchange right there in your area and he will sell them for you and onle keep a small percentage. He's done a dozen for me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
15% seems reasonable for a local auction. Have them split them up and do a dozen or two a week. Some of our local shops are charging 20-30% just on consignments these days. Used to never run more than 10%

Bb

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I don't mind the commission parts myself, people are entitled to be paid for their work and expertise, but this "Buyer's Premium" BS is just exactly that.

So far very pleased with lock stock and barrel.

IC B2

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
A portion of the estate guns have been posted at gun broker through Lock, Stock and Barrel. 14 day auctions started yesterday and run until the 23rd. The listings for sale this go around are most easily found at https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=423027

Once you get through all the revolvers and pistols and muzzleloaders, these guns start at about page 18

Last edited by BKinSD; 07/10/23.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have sold a few guns via www.hansenauctiongroup.com

They charge the seller 20% on anything under $300; 15% if between $300 and $800; 10% between $800 and $1500; 6% between $1500 and $5000; 0% over $5K.

I've also bought some guns from them and they also charge the buyer 10% if I recall.

Not what I would call cheap, but it's all online bidding with a pretty good system. Items get sold for very near the real world value imho.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
A while ago, I helped the widow of a very good friend dispose of his collection. His collection wasn't quite as large as what you're dealing with, but still large enough to be more than a little bit of work. His collection was mainly military historical firearms. I figured if I did it all myself, it would take about 2 years to complete disposing of his collection. His widow did not want that, so not knowing if you have any time restraints or not, the time involved may be a factor. I went around to every gunstore there is in a large radius to her location and talked with them about exposure, if any, and commission rates. With the gun stores, it would be sitting in a consignment rack hoping the "right" person would see it. In my search I literally stumbled onto a local auction house and talked with the owner for a while explaining the circumstances. His commission was less than the gun stores and he shipped and took care of everything. His widow liked all of that and went with them. They came out to her house, inventoried everything they took, issued an insurance policy right then and there and left with the collection. He advertises, takes great pictures, a lot of exposure and the day of the auction, it was 3 fold. It was a live auction, internet auction and phone call ins. She did very well and was very happy with the results. All done in a couple months, not a couple years. Are there cheaper ways to do all this? Of course there are! More expensive ways too... But for her circumstances and time factor, this worked out very well for her. Best to you in what you're doing. If I can help out at all with any other info, please just ask.

Dean
I have a friend that has a local auction house (Younger Auction) that is exactly the way you describe your local one. He has developed a very good reputation in the last few years in dealing in large gun/estate collections.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,586
Posts18,511,109
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.