Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got my fill of the Teamsters way back in the late 70's. I was a new employee of a trucking company when their contract ran out. They'd been working on a new contract and the union president, Frank Fitzsimmons at that time, said he wanted the members to vote it down. The regional business agent came to our local and said we were going to vote it down. Period. He wouldn't even read it to tell us what we were voting on. He had a near riot on his hands as you don't tell conservative Idahoans how to vote blindly. Guys were coming in the doors with buckets of hot tar and feathers. He was finally forced to read it and it was actually a pretty good contract. It passed almost unanimously in our local but what's 30 members compared to the national membership. We were on strike for 2 weeks after that.

At that time, Teamster rank and file members couldn't vote for national officials. It was the aftermath of the Hoffa years when they picked our leaders for us. The feds finally broke up that mess and gave members a vote on their leadership. It didn't change much. The whole union was still totally corrupt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yea, that's the kind of schit that will turn you off real quick

I was loading a truck and the veteran union guys (the lifers) worked sorting. If I was working too fast, they'd intentionally sort the packages wrong to slow me down. It was frustrating from day one.Then everyone is mad, you are mad at them, they are mad at you, they are shoving a bunch of wrong schit down the chute to your truck that you have to pick off - at some point you just start kicking boxes off the belt to the floor - brand new TVs, I didn't give a schit, I was behind and getting yelled at because the phugging Union guy wanted to get his 20 minutes of OT.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/31/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lotsa poor info here.

I have been using Roadway / Yellow freight, later YRC for more than 40 years.

From time to time I would get into a disagreement with YRC over damage , or something or other.

I would leave them....for a while. We would get it straightened out.

We have several pieces of freight inbound and outbound now.

I have known many , many drivers , managers , salesmen, etc.

The biggest thing that hurt YRC tremendously was the union, and some goofy drivers , saying YRC was in trouble and constantly putting the lip on YRC. This cost YRC much billable invoices.

The employees were better off last week than they will be again.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How badly is this shutdown going to affect the supply chain?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gregintenn

There's currently a pile of excess capacity relative to demand. It's why freight rates are so low.

The freight that large shippers like Amazon/Walmart (2 largest allegedly for Yellow) moved their stuff to other players over the last, call it 2 weeks. Not everyone can handle it as a light switch of course, I've heard Estes is struggling in the west with the volume increase but Western ops are hard with less density.

That said - legitimately, right now, if it's delayed - it's not because of the truck. It's at the dock, not the truck. Not hard to find trucks right now, middle mile or OTR etc.

Realize that Yellow and LTL isn't the same as OTR/FTL.

Me

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's actually funny how the people of this country stay at each others throats ( union vs non union, gay vs strait, Dem. vs Rep., anti gun vs second amendment, etc, etc, etc) while the UNIPARTY gleefully marches on. What a bunch of dumb #$ucks we are.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So why haven't we acted on G. K. Chesterton's idea about politicians?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Teal

There's currently a pile of excess capacity relative to demand. It's why freight rates are so low.

The freight that large shippers like Amazon/Walmart (2 largest allegedly for Yellow) moved their stuff to other players over the last, call it 2 weeks. Not everyone can handle it as a light switch of course, I've heard Estes is struggling in the west with the volume increase but Western ops are hard with less density.

That said - legitimately, right now, if it's delayed - it's not because of the truck. It's at the dock, not the truck. Not hard to find trucks right now, middle mile or OTR etc.

Realize that Yellow and LTL isn't the same as OTR/FTL.

Our office furniture supplier dumped Yellow a little over a year back[mostly LTL] Thank GOD

Worst service/speed/equipment etc
Loads would sit for a week or more on leaking trailers, half the trailers that came here were like a Rubiks Cube to get the door up.

R/L been carrying since last summer.
A different world!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to see where that 700 million went I bet you the top people in the business and in the Union got pockets full...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So more BS from the OP. The company failed on its own.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KFWA
is a shame unions have such a bad rap. they are responsible for so much quality of life for the average American worker.

^^^^This^^^^

Unions became "big" when the railroads grew up.
Working conditions were horrid.
A brakeman had to walk the top of a moving train to set and release brakes.
There were no automatic couplers.
No hours of service.

As union progressed, tge engineer became the highest paid crew member. Since they only ran the engine, their working conditions were relatively safe, so their union fought for wages.
Brakemen, on the other hand had to fight for working conditions AND wages!

George Westinghouse developed airbrakes and someone else invented automatic couplers.

The railroads have bought out Unions left and right.
A crew historically had
1) conductor (foreman)
2) engineer
3) two brakemen, one on each end
4) fireman - basically, an engineer trainee

The railroad now has two man crews and F.R E.D.*!

The railroad wants one man crews and/or remote controlled engines, or no human crew!

* - Flashing Rear End Device

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
not really kept up this situation but I kind of wonder if it's not in the play of like many other businesses have been. the file for bankruptcy and reorganize without Union help...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I'd like to see where that 700 million went I bet you the top people in the business and in the Union got pockets full...

Originally Posted by article
The first tranche of the loan was $300 million, which was used to clear the deck of the company’s immediate cash needs. It covered previously delayed health care and pension plan contribution payments, lease payments on equipment and real estate, and even interest payments on its other debt, among other items.

A $400 million second tranche was used to fund capital expenditures, largely the purchase of tractors and trailers, which received considerable scrutiny from industry participants. The thought on the part of the government may have been, “In for a penny, in for a pound.” Yellow estimated it would save $10,000 to $12,000 per tractor annually running newer models, and that the upgrades would be the key to reaching longer-term financial stability.

In total, the company replaced roughly 2,400 tractors (17% of the fleet) and 3,600 trailers, and it purchased 600 rail containers — executing roughly three years of tractor capex in a 15-month period. However, the new loan raised its total outstanding debt to nearly $1.6 billion from $880 million at the end of the 2020 first quarter (the last update prior to the loan announcement).

20 Year Death Spiral

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ldholton
not really kept up this situation but I kind of wonder if it's not in the play of like many other businesses have been. the file for bankruptcy and reorganize without Union help...
I’ve seen it before here in MN Union Mining country.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This sounds a lot like what happened to Consolidated Freightways. Corn Flake had over a thousand trucks on the road, and shut down over a weekend. They had rolling stock stranded in truck stops nationwide- - - -fired all the drivers. There was a pretty good rumor for many years that CF was a money laundering operation for the mob. One of my former students worked in one of their maintenance facilities, and he was always offering to "deal with" any students who gave me trouble- - - -"We've got people who do that, and they're good at it!"

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Being happy an outfit goes broke is the dumbest fùcking thing I have ever heard.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal
Internal email from Tue last week at Yellow

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

4th largest barn they had last week - no freight getting tendered to them due to uncertainty = head shot to the company from about 1 inch.

Severance package

That's chit.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jackmountain
How does someone driving a truck 5 days a week “earn” $105,000? You ever hear all the folks bitching about what shipping things cost? That’s why it’s over priced, because those drivers are over paid. Sorry but there’s a value to a man’s labor and driving a truck ain’t worth $105,000 for 2080 hours of their time.

How much should they get paid?

Don't cry about what they make if you aren't willing to do their job? I can't wrap my head around some monkey holding a steering wheel earning six figures.

Monkey make more than you do ?

All of you boys that think you should determine a working mans pay, are welcome to put your hands on the wheel and grab a gear !

No, I am not a truck driver.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by steve4102
Yellow Trucking one of the largest and oldest Trucking companies in America told the Teamsters Union to Pound Sand and closed its doors instead of continuing to be extorted by the Mob.

30,000 workers will be displaced and the Union gets NOTHING and the brain dead workers get less.

Next will be to sell off their assets which will acquired by those that will never allow a Union Thug on their property, bring profits up, stability up and work ethic up.

ROCK ON YELLOW

Some may say you’re stupid but in reality, you are just ignorant.

How many friends do you have that work there ?

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[/quote]Monkey make more than you do ?

All of you boys that think you should determine a working mans pay, are welcome to put your hands on the wheel and grab a gear ![quote]

^^^^^^^^This, in spades^^^^^^^^

Clyde

Last edited by BLG; 07/31/23.

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,641
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.