Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The terms "friend" or "friendship" needs qualification. It's common for "gunwriters" to refer to some "big-named-person" as "their friend". It's name-dropping at its finest! But a "true friend who can find?", to quote Scripture. The foundation of true friendship is based on much more than being a hunting partner, or having one. I've had many hunting partners over many years, and many were "friendly" but not necessarily true friends. My best friends, who have stuck with me to my current age of 87 were non-hunters. They were not against hunting, and often showed interest in MY hunting adventures, but their lives, activities and interests were elsewhere.

The basic foundation for true and lasting friendship has to be mutual acceptance and respect, not what that person can do for me! Sure, there must also be other areas of life where there's mutual interests without living in each others kitchen, such as faith, politics or professionalism, but with mutual respect and acceptance without perfectionism.

I had one hunting partner for several years who was younger than I by at least 10 years, a CO who knew little about hunting. He wanted to hunt bear with me, so we hunted bear, moose, deer and coyote together. But still, often I hunted alone, which I mostly prefer. It wasn't long before his "professionalism" and "perfection" tendencies took over and making me nervous over not "obeying" everything the "law" demanded to the last degree. It turned out that he was unsure of all that entailed himself! Like: could I carry a rifle for protection while baiting for bear before the season actually opened. The final straw was when he demanded in an angry tone that I not move my downed bear one inch before tagging it! I'd askedd for help in moving it from alders to an open spot a few feet away for tagging and field dressing.

He just couldn't let "friendship" get in the way of being a CO with overbearing perfectionist tendencies.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
on a coyote hunt a Game warden was with and started this crap about what is right . the 70 yr. old owner of the coyote dogs asked the young warden this question : do you want to be a warden when we are hunting or just another hunter ? well he learned his lesson quickly he is still hunting with them as another hunter .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems akin to refusing to go out to dinner with your friend because he's dating a ugly woman.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It appears the issue is your ability to accept his "ethics" which differ than your own.

Your partner is not hunting illegally, so it is strictly your self imposed personal ethics.

I have shot does on Hinchinbrook and then have the fawn come in and lay down 15 feet away while I gutted momma on the beach. Swore i would only shot horns after that. They are bigger and I want the meat.

Fact is in a heavy snow year a lot of those deer are not going to make it.

Nature is a lot crueler than man shooting a juvi with a well placed shot, which would be my criteria when it comes to hunting ethics.

Just my thoughts, each to his ownus

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
With all due respect, I personally think your delima is rather a petty one. Do you actually have that many friends that you can just dismiss one for "their" way of hunting. They are his tags, nothings being done illegally, and evidently he is happy with what he kills. If you want more mature animals, that's great. Do what makes you happy but keep the friend, enjoy their company and have a great time doing it.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Life is really short. There just isn’t much time. A guy can have many casual acquaintances, but a lot fewer “friends”. But, if he’s really blessed, he has that one rare, true friend who knows him as well as he does himself…and still loves him. That is the friend that would die for you.

Neither would want to offend the other on secondary or tertiary issues.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A couple successful people have put it this way.

You’re either in the boat or not.

You’re either with me, beside me, or in the way.

How important is it…. Or worth losing a friend.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My best friend and I don’t always see eye to eye about everything hunting and fishing. Neither one of us worry about it much though as we’ve spent a lot of quality time together and we always have a good time. If one of us was adamant about particulars the other would respect it. If my buddy only wanted a 70” moose and I’d settle for a fork horn, we’d just be happy for each other and enjoy our time outside. Life is short, real friends are few, and good times are not frequent enough.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Are you with me ? Or am I alone?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My best friend is my favorite hunting partner has been for 40 years. I've hunted with alot of people over the years. Some are still friends some are not. My friend is always the one I ask if I'm planning a trip sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. some people have been good some have not. the nots got there chance I move on. Seldom I've been invited on hunts that are of quality i've given others. But I still hunt with other people yearly some stick some don't. But if my best friend wants to hunt I know It's going to be fun, And fun is what it;s all about. If it's not fun why?

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 338rcm, 10Glocks, 44mc, 18 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,455
Posts18,507,993
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.