Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
remingtons.?
theres a so called gun smith here in town that says they wont shot as tight as groups as remingtons,can someone prove him wrong to me to encourage me more with my winchester please..thanks

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Personal prefferences. I have a 1965 built pushfeed model 70 in .270 that is one of the most accurate rifles I own, even those with match grade barrels on them. It makes me laugh that it shoots so good.

The Remington 725,721, and 700 we designed to reduce production costs, and while they are generally accurate, they are by no means all more accurate. Some are great and some are not. Remingtions are easy to true up and have lots of aftermarket support.

I prefer CRF on my hunting rifles and as such I do not hunt with Remington 700s or Sakos, I have hunted with my pushfeed model 70 but that is only because it belonged to my grandfather. I've had them buy my personal preference always leads me back to mausers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Factory or Handloads, factory is hit and miss, with handloads i can make a 710 out shoot a 700 if i have good glass. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had some very accurate push feed Winchesters.I have a Classic Feather Weight 6.5X55 that easily shoots 1 to 1 1/4" groups and I really have not tried to get its full potential yet.Any Rifle can be made to shoot well if you take the time to find out what it likes. My 3 cents Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
At times, the theory of accuracy gets absolutely ridiculous......

Just send me a PM with a FAX number, and I'll forward to you some targets that I have produced with various rifles in 270 Win., 300 Win., 338 Win., 375H&H, and 416 Rem. Mag. rifles that were built on Model 70 actions, and by all means take them to your riflesmith and get his reaction.

I think you'll find that, in practical terms, for a hunting-weight rifle, that a Model 70 shoots just as well the Model 700, and it feeds and otherwise functions much better. If you're hunting pocket gophers, statistical theories, or benchrest titles then the Model 700 holds a slight edge. But if you look at the historical record of the Model 70 in the arena of high-power shooting, including the prestigious 1,000 Wimbleton title, then you'll see that the Model 70 is at least accurate enough to shoot barn walls with when you're shooting from the inside out through the north stall.............. wink

Quite honestly, I've owned some 90 Remington 700s over the years, and well over 100 Model 70s, and I've had many precise, accuracy-oriented hunting rifles built on both actions, including "famous-maker" 'beanfield' rifles, Coues deer rifles, etc., etc. The real, fundamental, nuts & bolts accuracy differences had more to do with the quality of individual barrels and the skill of the makers themselves than it had to do with anything else, and in many cases, the Model 70s have shot better, because they were built by better makers.

Beware of this: Lots of so-called "custom" riflesmiths prefer Model 700s simply because they're easier to work on (sometimes, all they do is screw on a barrel and bolt the metalwork into a stock); the nuances of the Model 70 escape them, and so they masque their lack of skill and experience behind the old "benchrest-accuracy" hokum. So all too often, what gets pronounced is mostly theory, and the rest is ignorance and exaggeration.

I've listened to all of it before, been there, lived it, shot it, bought it, sold it, and got up and did it all over again, and end the end of the day, for my own use, I'll take a Model 70 that's been done-up by a top riflemaker any time...........

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Violator22
Factory or Handloads, factory is hit and miss, with handloads i can make a 710 out shoot a 700 if i have good glass. Les

yup I just picked up a m70XTR with a heavybarrel in 243. Put an older 3-9 nikon on it an started playin with loads.

5shots, 100yrds, scope on 8x
the flyer was my fault
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Allenday hit the nail on the head.

Here's a pic of what a Model 70 can do at 100 yds.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My experience at the range was that the difference wasn't great, but on average the out of the box Remington 700 would group slightly tighter than a similar Winchester M70.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by trophytaker308
remingtons.?
theres a so called gun smith here in town that says they wont shot as tight as groups as remingtons,can someone prove him wrong to me to encourage me more with my winchester please..thanks

oh please...

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
you have nothing to worry about with your winchester, you'll be just fine. smile

And i bet the bolt handle won't even fall off or anything...

did i say that part out loud?

Something clever here.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If your GUNSMITH says that,

Follow these steps

1. RUN
2. RUN AWAY
3. RUN AWAY VERY FAST
4. RUN AWAY VERY FAST AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WinModel70
Allenday hit the nail on the head.

Here's a pic of what a Model 70 can do at 100 yds.
[Linked Image]

Wow, back to the drawing board with that load. grin grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe this will cover it (albeit not as eloquently as Allen):

Model 70 target

And I need not worry about handles falling off, sheet metal extractors breaking and worst of all hideous looking "Hurst Shifter" unsafe safeties that fail on fire going off. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
theres a "so called gun smith" here in town

Last edited by mud_bogger; 12/12/07.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
ahh, I missed that bogger.

that explains a lot.

I was a "so called gynecologists" for a while when I was younger too.... but people caught on eventually.... frown

Something clever here.

JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Over forty years of hunting and shooting I have honestly lost count of the number of Model 70s and 700s I have owned and shot. Either one is capable of tremendous accuracy and both companies have produced a few lemons. I much prefer the Model 70 to the 700 but I do believe that out of the box the Remington might have a slight edge in accuracy. I always re-bed the action, float the barrel, and tune or replace the triggers. After that it is a toss up for accuracy. Probably the most accurate rifle I ever had was a Remington 40X in 30-06 back in the '70s. It was so accurate it was boring. Anyway, my preference for Winchester has little to do with accuracy and everything to do with the things others have already mentioned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Based on what I see at the range, most folks aren't limited by the mechanical accuracy of their rifles...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You can take 90% of any factory out of the box Winchester or Remington give it a trigger job and handload it to sub MOA.

People waste a lot of money sending a sporting rifle to a rifle smith.

Invest in handloading.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
remingtons.?

A man's profession does not necessarily qualify hims as expert.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6mmbrfan, 6MMWASP, 79S, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,554
Posts18,510,418
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.