Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I recall my grandmother reading, War, and Piece.
Dang. Grandma was literate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Morewood
I recall my grandmother reading, War, and Piece.
Dang. Grandma was literate.
I know you are making a joke but one of my grandmother's wasn't literate and neither was my father in law.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try AbeBooks.com

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
I’m going to start The Arms of Krupp soon. Dennis Miller talked about it on his radio years ago. Bought a copy off eBay. History of the Krupp family through the ages.

I liked it, but liked it better with a good map of germany handy. did not know much of the geography of Germany, and map helped me understand some parts better.

knowing a little of the history of germany would have helped too.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
I’m going to start The Arms of Krupp soon. Dennis Miller talked about it on his radio years ago. Bought a copy off eBay. History of the Krupp family through the ages.

I liked it, but liked it better with a good map of germany handy. did not know much of the geography of Germany, and map helped me understand some parts better.

knowing a little of the history of germany would have helped too.

Thanks for the tips!

Fear the crabcat.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My newest book, of course: "Africa".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
While I don't have any belief in religion,I found this book very moving and the mechanic's are astounding!

I tend to use more than enough gun
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Ron chernow’s biography of Grant is excellent, as is Rick Atkinson’s WWII trilogy and rev war book.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I just read SpyFail by James Bamford. As soon as I finished it I read it again. Just unbelievable incompetence by government leaders that are never held to account.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Anything by Wilbur Smith. African author.

Another great virtue of Wilbur Smith's books, aside from accurate history interwoven with a great story, is they're BIG. Which I believe is one of the reasons they're popular among those Americans who fly to Africa fairly frequently--but also African PHs, who are often stuck in camps beyond the reach of even cell-phones.

I hunted in Botswana's Okavango Delta years ago, and when preparing for the trip bought a hardback copy of Blue Horizon, Smith's then-new book. Thought it would last me both through the flights over there, and back--but when I got into hunting camp with my hunting partner, the two PHs demanded I leave it with them. So I got up early every morning and read it around the campfire, and finished it before leaving camp. This resulted in a lack of reading material on the flight home, but I was tired enough to sleep most of the way....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Don’t overlook Cormac McCarthy as he’s written some Great ones. Pulitzer winner.

Rising Tide by John Barry, Pulitzer winner and don’t start it on a night when you have something important to do the next day.

Aztec by Jennings. You won’t be able to put it down.

The Power of One by Bryce Courtney.

So many good books to read, so little time to do so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For Lewis and Clark “Undaunted Courage” is a good one.

You didn’t mention the topic but “Heroes of Jadotville” is incredible!

I’ve also just finished Alone at Dawn and Twelve Mighty Orphans. Both I would highly recommend to all here.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://shotwellpublishing.com/

Lincoln, The Non-Christian President: Exposing the Myth

by Walter Donald Kennedy

Description:

ALTHOUGH MANY CONSERVATIVE RELIGIOUS LEADERS enthusiastically pronounce Lincoln to be a devout Christian, the evidence to the contrary is immense. The transformation of Lincoln from a secular humanist Freethinker into a faithful Christian is one of the most successful con-games in American history.

From George Washington to the current President (2023), every United States President has a confirmed church affiliation, except Lincoln. The only United States Supreme Court Justice that does not have a confirmed church affiliation is Justice David Davis, appointed by Lincoln.

Lincoln’s lack of orthodox Christian views is fully exposed by his wife, law partner, personal secretary, bodyguard, and other close associates.

Lincoln waged war as a pagan leader. A Christian leader would not have waged war upon innocent men, women, and children of the South. Lincoln was the first U. S. President with a communist in his cabinet and the only U. S. President to be praised by Karl Marx, Adolph Hitler, and Chinese Communist military leaders.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Lonny
Don't know if you're into animal stuff, but Cougars on the Cliff by David Johnson and Dr. Maurice Hornocker is very interesting. Hornocker did the first study on mtn lions in central Idaho back in the 1960's. This area is fly in only in winter when he and a houndsman treed numerous lions to establish population numbers, home range size, prey taken, etc,. They spent years, covering thousands of miles in some of the roughest country in North America.
PHUGG Hornocker and the 66 wolves he was instumental in getting transplanted from the Canadian Rockies into Idaho. He was leftist scum working in league with liberals to eliminate hunting in America.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
‘Mayflower’ by Nathaniel Philbrick.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

Shackleton by Roland Huntford

ANY of the several history books by McCullough are worth the time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Lonny
Don't know if you're into animal stuff, but Cougars on the Cliff by David Johnson and Dr. Maurice Hornocker is very interesting. Hornocker did the first study on mtn lions in central Idaho back in the 1960's. This area is fly in only in winter when he and a houndsman treed numerous lions to establish population numbers, home range size, prey taken, etc,. They spent years, covering thousands of miles in some of the roughest country in North America.
PHUGG Hornocker and the 66 wolves he was instumental in getting transplanted from the Canadian Rockies into Idaho. He was leftist scum working in league with liberals to eliminate hunting in America.
++++++++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Of all the books I suggest people read (and I frequently suggest this book) this is easily the most poorly written.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antlers
‘Mayflower’ by Nathaniel Philbrick.
Have yet to find a book of his I did not like.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

300 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 338rcm, 2500HD, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,517
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.