Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I got through the South African version of TSA with the loss of my sewing kit scissors. Yes, those evil, dangerous ½” cutting surface scissors in the Italian army surplus sewing repair kit that passed through the American TSA, were taken by the young lad in RSA. Then it was schlep my carry-on ruck and murse to the gate. Naturally, the first wall outlet I sought to use for the cell phone was inoperative. The next wall support column down the gate waiting area worked, however.

While I was busy hooking up power to charge the cell phone and calling my wife to let her know I was actually going to be allowed to leave RSA with my rifles, an obnoxious gate worker walked up and demanded that I move into the tiny portion of the gate area she had blocked off. The entire gate area was 75 yards long with bench seating on both sides. She had turned seats to constrict the size to 1/3 of that, forcing everyone on the flight to sit side by side. Meanwhile, every two minutes, the South African version of Joseph Goebles was brainwashing everyone about how FOR OUR SAFETY, we had to sanitize our hands, and FOR OUR SAFETY we had to maintain social distancing, and FOR OUR SAFETY we would get ½ of the normal level of service at the airport due to covid, etc., etc., etc..

I stopped talking to my wife for a moment and informed the petty tyrant that when I had finished speaking to my wife back in the States, I would move to her tiny corral. She did not know quite what to do with my insolence. Apparently, no one had ever told her to screw herself so politely, so she wandered off.

Next was the make jobs program. All of the passengers violating social distancing in the gate waiting area were now ordered out of the seating into the concourse aisle. We were subjected to another “security check” at the gate. The single 85 year-old couple present was selected for explosive reside screening. Because grandma is always the bomb mule. The rest of us were forced to shuffle through the line back to the gate where two young ladies felt up our carry-on bags as if they were packages of Charmin toilet paper. Someone’s cousin had a contract for “additional security” checkpoints, so our baggage provided the groping victim pool.

Naturally, this was the first day of the spring rains, so the airport air conditioning was struggling to keep the humidity in check. That is always fun when you wear a ruck and carry things quickly to your gate on the far side of the airport. They were thrilled to get rain. I was thrilled that my 3 day safari extension was finally coming to a close without me getting to wear an orange jumpsuit.

Finally, the flight/immobility torture began. This time the electronics worked, and I actually received a pair of earphones for viewing movies. I didn’t see any cases of passenger abuse by the stewardess this time. Arrival at Newark meant “Papers, Please” at US Customs.

These guys were great. Sentient life forms that were polite and professional. They sequenced our inspection IAW the people with the earliest connecting flights. Brilliant! I actually went back to them before leaving and thanked them for their organizational skills and treating us like humans. They were very pleasant to work with. Now, downstairs to TSA – who also had to verify that our rifles were unloaded, in spite of the Border & Customs folks having just done so. Nothing special about the last leg to KC.

As we used to say in After Action Reviews in the Big Green Machine:

SUSTAINS:
1. Rifle set-up – the stubby Alaskan was a joy to shoot, the cartridge was adequate to prevent time-consuming/animal losing tracking. The scope worked superbly in quickly getting the reticle on the target. It carried well.

2. Rifle manipulation – the range sessions here in the States were well-worth the hundreds of rounds fired. I was able to mount the rifle, center the reticle and squeeze off rounds quickly and precisely. In addition, when something did go wrong (CLICK!), I was able to instantly fix it and get back into the fight. Every shot was decisive and enough gun, even if the “Africa Tough” animals did not want to concede defeat at the time.

3. Clothing – the LAPG pants and wicking shirts were perfect for the climate. The REI hat was lightweight and perfect at reducing sun glare so I could spot animals. The merino wool socks and boot combination worked well.

4. Packing was acceptable. It was tough balancing E&E programming from the Army, all of my medical requirements, 3 sets of clothes, insulation in case it got cold, and trying to pack some food I could eat, within the weight and cube constraints. There is still room for improvement here as well.

5. Return to hunt with Somerby. The exact kind of battle buddies one would want.

6. Stay in touch with PHASA. The exact kind of battle buddies one would want.

7. Pre-planning for medical emergencies was great. I spent a couple of crummy days with the tick bite fever fight. By the third day, the azithromycin was winning. I still have a hole in my leg, but it is close to being done healing up.

8. PT – in preparation for the trip I Nordic-Trac’ed, rucked with a 35 pound bag 3 miles once a week, lifted weights, worked the “Farm Fit” chore program of cutting, splitting, stacking wood, running a DR mower, etc.. I cannot run any longer due to the mechanicals of the L4/L5 disc collapse, so short of a cage and rods being inserted, I maxed out the PT. It helped to maximize the safari.

IMPROVES:
1. Try to include more still-hunting/stalking next time.

2. Rehearse with the PH how I will engage targets.

3. Keep my rifle cases handcuffed to my wrists. : )

4. Take more pictures.

5. Spend more time at Safari & Outdoor.

6. Look for more brass that is unavailable in the States.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Pics are forthcoming?

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Can't get them small enough to be allowed on the board here - happy to send some if you provide ma an e-mail - too new here for the messaging to work.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wow, I'm just itching to go.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by USMA1984DAB
Can't get them small enough to be allowed on the board here - happy to send some if you provide ma an e-mail - too new here for the messaging to work.

Set up an IMGUR account and you can load photos from that.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. I am so glad I did not book that SA safari this past February. If I ever do go I'll be certain to avoid the RSA

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been wanting to sail my yacht there for a hunt but maybe that might present a problem.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
what bullets did you use?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Went through Joburg Tembo one week ago with absolutely no problems. Traveling with 2 DGRs checked through from BNQ directly home to my final USA home destination.

IME JNB is clean, well organized and pretty efficient. The new international gates built for the 2020 World Cup are a great improvement from the prior departure gate to ATL.

Despite the horror stories I’ve occasionally heard about JNB I haven’t encountered problems. The security checks at the gate are a bit more than we usually experience but not particularly problematic. YMMV

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Let's try and post some pics

Attached Images
1st Trophy - small.jpg (13.76 KB, 250 downloads)
IC B3

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Let's try a few more

Attached Images
1st Baboon 2 - small file.jpg (9.46 KB, 239 downloads)
Blesbock with TJ - small file.jpg (10.92 KB, 240 downloads)
Gnu 12 - 18SEP21 - small file.jpg (12.89 KB, 240 downloads)
U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
And a few more...

Attached Images
Giraffe 13 - 19SEP21 - small file.jpg (11.7 KB, 242 downloads)
Impala - Small file.jpg (13.18 KB, 240 downloads)
Kudu - small file.jpg (12.81 KB, 244 downloads)
U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I used Barnes TSX 270gr. They performed great.

The giraffe was the only one that caused a hesitation - the first round d transited the heart and lost a petal about an inch from the far side, and then the main projo was about an inch outside of the far side of his heart. The second round was lodged in his shoulder and never got into the chest - amazing what a 2-3 second jolt of adrenaline does in terms of making the animal bullet proof.

Nico, the property owner told me about a prior Client a few months before me - he hit the giraffe bull poorly with a .458 Lott and it took 8 more rounds to put the animal down. That was a lot of lead!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great pics!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
our 4 guys including myself are planning for next May 2024 . i was at a friend `s house today setting up this African hunt and looking at all his African mounts , i never thought much about shooting a baboon but he has a full mount of a baboon looks great . its now got me thinking ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Congratulations. Going on my third trip next year. This one will be very special. Can't wait to tell the story. Going on a walk about in Mozambique after the RSA hunt for a couple weeks. Was in Moz in 11 and Botswana a couple years ago. I really like the looks of a bleached baboon skull.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
thanks for the bullet info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Wow. I am so glad I did not book that SA safari this past February. If I ever do go I'll be certain to avoid the RSA

For the love of Pete, this was a couple of years ago during the Covid fiasco and he went with a somewhat crappy airline. The circumstance of the accident is an unique circumstance. 99% chance that you'd be fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Went through Joburg Tembo one week ago with absolutely no problems. Traveling with 2 DGRs checked through from BNQ directly home to my final USA home destination.

IME JNB is clean, well organized and pretty efficient. The new international gates built for the 2020 World Cup are a great improvement from the prior departure gate to ATL.

Despite the horror stories I’ve occasionally heard about JNB I haven’t encountered problems. The security checks at the gate are a bit more than we usually experience but not particularly problematic. YMMV

This has been my experience. The O.R.Tembo airport is close to my favorite.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Just realize - if you bring back a primate or a pig, you get extra special attention from the inspection process when importing the trophies - the trophies get sent to a taxidermist to certify there is no danger of disease. More cost and more time (more storage fees).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,853
Posts18,478,484
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.