Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have the itch for a new long range capable hunting rifle. Target species will include deer, audad, maybe sheep someday, and possibly elk, although I already have a .338 that usually gets the nod for elk. I'm thinking 6.5 PRC for the chambering and I would like to keep the weight down for use on backpack hunts. If Tikka offered the standard T3s in 6.5 PRC I would have probably simply gone that route, but since they only offer it in the more expensive Veils and Roughtechs I've expanded my search.

In addition to Tikka, I'm considering Browning X-bolt speeds (largely due to the light weight and current sale prices), Bergaras (didn't really impress me), Sako S20 (heavier than I'd like, but good ergonomics and reputation for accuracy), and more recently, Seekins Havok PH2s.

At this point I think that I've narrowed it down to the S20 or the Havok. I wasn't originally intending to spend Havok money, but I handled one in the store and really liked it. I prefer the S20 action with it's short bolt throw and it's significantly cheaper, but the Havok is lighter and seems to be of higher quality overall, plus the spiral fluted barrel is sexy.

Does anyone have experience with both that they can share? Are there other factors that I'm not considering or other rifles that I should consider?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S20 Is a shooter! I shot one in 300 win mag. I liked it alot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
My son bought an S20 in 6.5 PRC and it shoots ragged holes with Norma factory ammo. I was so impressed I bought one and it does the same thing. Another buddy of mine was also so impressed he had to have one, and lo and behold it performs exactly the same. A healthy dose of RL26 and 139 Scenars are stupid accurate as well. Love the thumbhole stock. Can't go wrong IME, IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had an S20 Hunter for a while, and it is a very nice rifle.

The stock feels a little cheap, but I don't doubt it's functionality, and understand it is a concession to reduce weight given the rifles modular construction.

I much preferred the Precision buttstock I purchased to the Hunter thumbhole stock, but YMMV.

Ultimately I decided it was just too heavy for my liking, and I sold it still unfired. It will be a 10 pound rifle when scoped.

A friend had a Havak PH2 and it shot very well, but he was unhappy with the stock, so he sold it fairly quickly. IMO weight would be ok.

Have you considered a Springfield Waypoint 2020?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I did look at them. They're about the same weight as the S20 at 7lb 6oz and they don't seem like as good of a value as the Havok since they're about the same price as the much lighter Havok element.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Various places online you can find the rough techs for 1k shipped. Hard to beat. While not as nice as the other mentioned for the price very hard to beat and aftermarket support is amazingly everywhere.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by shooterschmidty

I did look at them. They're about the same weight as the S20 at 7lb 6oz and they don't seem like as good of a value as the Havok since they're about the same price as the much lighter Havok element.

Sako tends to underestimate their weight quite often, and I am sure my Hunter wasn't 7lb 6oz. (my 20" Tikka CTR felt much lighter)

This review puts the S20 at 8lbs 4oz. CLICK HERE

This review states:
"My test sample was the Hunter model, as opposed to the Precision model. The spec sheet lists its weight at 7 lbs., 6 ozs., unloaded, though my scale showed it heavier at 8 lbs., 1 oz."

CLICK HERE

Another review: 8.38lbs.

FWIW, I believe the Waypoint with the CF barrel is 6lb. 14oz.

When I was looking at one, they could be had around $1700 ($1500 on a good GB auction day). I don't know if that is Element money, but thought they were maybe $2300?

Last edited by WhelenAway; 08/09/23. Reason: Added info

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

Sako tends to underestimate their weight quite often, and I am sure my Hunter wasn't 7lb 6oz. (my 20" Tikka CTR felt much lighter)

This review puts the S20 at 8lbs 4oz. CLICK HERE

This review states:
"My test sample was the Hunter model, as opposed to the Precision model. The spec sheet lists its weight at 7 lbs., 6 ozs., unloaded, though my scale showed it heavier at 8 lbs., 1 oz."

CLICK HERE

Another review: 8.38lbs.

FWIW, I believe the Waypoint with the CF barrel is 6lb. 14oz.

When I was looking at one, they could be had around $1700 ($1500 on a good GB auction day). I don't know if that is Element money, but thought they were maybe $2300?

That's a great insight. I didn't realize that the actual weight comes in so much higher than the advertised. I might have to start bringing a scale with me to the gun store!

I've read rumors online that Sako might be coming out with a carbon stock for the S20, but given the aluminum chassis system, I'm not sure how much weight that would save.

I'll have to take another look at the Waypoint. I would have swore that they were closer to $2500 when I handled one, but at $1500-$1700 I think they're worth a closer look.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think the S20 is a really nice rifle if the weight doesn't bother you.

And I am seeing S20 Hunters in 6.5PRC for around $1100, which is a bargain.

Personally, I just don't like my rifles that heavy. YMMV

But the Waypoint is a really nice rifle, at a weight I could like.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The only downside on a Havak is the 13.25 LOP.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I recently purchased a Havak PH2 in 6. PRC from Cabela's. They had it on clearance for $500 off. Seemed like a good enough reason to buy it. I have only shot a little over a box of ammo through it, but I really like it.

The rifle is very comfortable to get behind. It is a lot lighter than the rifle looks, didn't put it on the scale to see what it weighs. The trigger breaks like glass, the action is very smooth, feeds and extracts with no issues, and recoil is minimal with the break that was included.

The only ammo I have tried was the Hornady 143gr eld-x which grouped under an inch at 100 yds and the Winchester 140gr match ammo which failed to fire 2 out of the 5 rounds I tried. The 3 rounds that did fire went into about 1.25" group.

I had a normal primer strike but no ignition. I have not had a chance to contact Winchester yet about it. Only thing I dont really care for is the magazine.

I feel it is difficult to load the 2nd and 3rd rounds into it, but I'm sure the more I do it the easier it will become.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by JMUPT
I recently purchased a Havak PH2 in 6. PRC from Cabela's. They had it on clearance for $500 off.

Was that an in-store sale? I don't see them on their website.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
well I have the s20 precision... all I can say is that it shoots incredible...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JMUPT
I recently purchased a Havak PH2 in 6. PRC from Cabela's. They had it on clearance for $500 off.

Was that an in-store sale? I don't see them on their website.

No it was on the website. A buddy was thinking about getting a new shotgun so I was looking at what Cabela's had and just happened to come across the Seekins. Pretty sure it was the last one they had, as it showed out of stock once I ordered it.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Those of you that have an S20, have you found it to be too heavy for significant carry, or do you mostly use it hunting from a blind?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have an S20, 6.5 Creedmoor. Like others said it's incredibly accurate. It's also a smooth action, feeding and ejection are flawless. It is a heavy rifle though. I'm sure mine with a 6-24x50 Element scope on it weighs over 10 pounds. I do carry it for hunting but when I plan to hike for miles with a rifle on my shoulder the Tikka T3X Lite with Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 comes along.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,024
Posts18,481,722
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.