Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Hi guys:

I have always wanted a drilling (I read about the Luftwaffe drilling back in the 1970s and wanted one ever since).

Looking for an easy to use (left handed shooter) and easy to feed drilling (no obscure cartridges, I quit handloading).

Something basic, like the Colt/Sauer 12x12x30-06.

Something I do not have to baby its pretty wood.

I see average price is about $3,000-$4,500 for the Colt/Sauer. That price range is fine.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
FWIW, I would counsel you to instead get a 16 or 20 gauge frame gun with whatever rifle caliber hits your fancy. The 12 gauge frame guns are big, and heavy. The 16s are . . . Perfect.

I’ve owned and shot 7x57r and 8x57JR calibers, and like them both - they punch above their weight in the field. My 8mm will put 3 shots in 1” at 100 before the barrel heats up and starts to wander. The down side is the .318 diameter bullets/ammo aren’t exactly plentiful. The S&B ammo in this caliber shoots well. The 7x57r is good for 2 shots close to each other, but always puts the 1st shot from a cold barrel in the same place.

LH drillings are a little scarce, but you can find them.

B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
John:

Thank you.

Actually, I should add that I don't upland bird hunt much. (essentially never). I have shot a turkey (once).

I just kind of want a drilling (sheepish grin).

I am thinking I will use it on a combined turkey and wild hog hunt in Red Bluff CA. I did that in 2021.

This would make the 12x12x30-06 ideal(?).

But, I am still learning how this will all work.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 08/11/23.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Also, I have a Trijicon 1-4 accupoint (German #4 reticle) that i would mount on the drilling.

BMT

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I would tread cautiously with a drilling for CA hunting. Monometal bullets (some) can cause problems with drillings and double rifles. Additionally, you’d be limited to bismuth shot for the shotgun barrels. The new Blaser guns can handle the hard shot, but the run-of-the-mill used drillings by Sauer, Krieghoff, etc. won’t take kindly to a diet of steel, and TSS shot.

FWIW-

John

IC B2

B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you.

That is a valuable piece of information.

I have the proper turkey shot. I will research the other issue.

BMT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bismuth shot works well in older shotguns. As far as mono-metals in an older drilling, I wouldn't. My suggestion would be get an older drilling in 16ga/16ga/7x57R, it will be a much more enjoyable experience. Then get a license in AZ or NV and travel for A hunting trip with it.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by erich
Bismuth shot works well in older shotguns. As far as mono-metals in an older drilling, I wouldn't. My suggestion would be get an older drilling in 16ga/16ga/7x57R, it will be a much more enjoyable experience. Then get a license in AZ or NV and travel for A hunting trip with it.

Thank you.

But not really . . . (LOL). My plan is falling to pieces.

So, what is a good Turkey and Wild Hog Drilling in CALIFORNIA (no lead).

That is where I have access and friends.

BMT

B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
What about this one?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...12x30-30-excellent-.cfm?gun_id=102304397

I can get 30-30 lead free ammo

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 08/12/23.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem is non-compressable mono-metal bullets in thin drilling rifle barrels. If your serious about getting a drilling you might want to look into a modern Blazer as more Euro countries are going lead-free.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Erich:

Thank you. I appreciate the help--even though you're slowly killing me (LOL).

I googled the issue of lead free bullets. I found this thread from 2015:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10324206/1

It seems that Vortex Ammo with 150 grain bullets was not an issue in 2015. (Barnes makes 30-06 and 30-30 ammo). Has anything changed?

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 08/12/23.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
BMT,

Great choice on a place to hunt in Ca. as Dye Creek was my father-in-laws old ranch and I've hunted there many times.

I've used my drilling (that I bought from luv2safari) on upland game there and missed on hogs but it was before non lead was totally mandated.

I did find some Lapua ammo from Grafs in both 8x57 IRS and 9.3x62 (another purchase from luv2) but have not used them yet. Lapua does say that it's safe for drillings.

https://www.lapua.com/product/8x57-irs-leadfree-naturalis-hunting-cartridge-117g-180gr-n318010/

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Be mindful of the difference between “8x57JR” and “8x57JRS”.

While I can’t speak from experience, shooting .323 diameter monometal bullets in a barrel built and proofed for .318 jacketed projectiles is a recipe for problems. 8x37JR ammo and rifles are proofed to a lower pressure limit.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I too would suggest the 16ga or 20ga route for the shotgun. The 12ga guns seem quite a bit heavier. "clunkier". Just an opinion.
For the rifle you could go all in. 8MM gas check bullet dies are available as well as gas checks, and sizer dies. Cast using bismuth. The sellers of bismuth imply that it must be possible because I note that one provider "Rotometals" even has a data sheet that they recommend you carry to show law enforcement in the event that you are checked.
Really would further your commitment to the drilling.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
BMT

Perhaps you do not need a traditional drilling as such? If not doing much upland hunting why would you need 2 shotgun barrels? The main reason for a traditional 2 shotgun, 1 rifle is to enable upland and big game at same time. I know I frequently need a 2nd shot on flushing birds. smile

If that is not your main plan then maybe something like a Valmet 412, with a 12G barrel and a 308/7x57/30-06 etc would be the bee's knees? I am sure that lead free ammunition is easily available in many/most 412 barrel calibers. The 412 shotgun barrels will handle non-lead shotgun loads easily. Not sure what calibers you prefer but I have also seen some Fair/Rizzini combo guns recently with deer caliber rifle barrels.

Just a thought.

RAS

B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank all for you help—painful as it is (sigh)

I am rethinking this seriously.

My only real use is the combination turkey/pig hunt.

The four-wheeler will carry the gun most of the time.

Lead free factory ammo and $1,500 to mount a scope makes this idea less fun.

The valmet is a very good idea.

What I really want is use of the Luftwaffe drilling included with the hunt (LOL)

BMT

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
BMT, I recently inherited a 12/12/.243 Colt Sauer that my brother purchased new in 1978. He used it very little and it is in great shape. As previously mentioned it is quite heavy, to the point that I’m not sure I will ever hunt with it. I owned an older 16/16/7x57r but regretfully sold it to a buddy years ago. The 16 gauge was way lighter, had claw mounted scope and was way more practical as a hunting gun. If my newly inherited gun didn’t have sentimental value, I’d trade it for a 16 or 20 gauge in a minute.

Drillings are works of art and exemplify fine gun making. Kinda like Rolex watches. Whatever you wind up with, you will enjoy owning it. Good luck!

Mackey

Mackey
B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Mackey:

Sorry about your brother.

Sounds like a nice drilling.

BMT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BMT
What about this one?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...12x30-30-excellent-.cfm?gun_id=102304397

I can get 30-30 lead free ammo

BMT

It's far to fragile for modern ammo, and I bet dollars to dog turds it's a 65mm chambered 12 gauge. Numbskulls that don't know will drop a 2 3/4" shell into the chamber of a 65mm chambered gun and see that it "fits". crazy

It's also over priced by $1K

I just sold a sturdy circa mid-60s 12/12/7X65R Fortuna drilling to a good member here that would take bismuth shells and Lapua mono metals. Look for a post war Merkel or Simson in very good/excellent shape. They are robust guns.

Man! You're about a month too late. frown

Last edited by luv2safari; 08/17/23.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.