Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
OP Offline
F
Hey All, old hunter, but new to elk hunting.

I am a non-resident and have a general tag in wyoming and looking at the two areas/units in the southern sierra madres. We will be going over rifle season, but toying with the idea of skipping opening weekend and going the week after for a DIY 7-9 day hunt. To hopefully get some weather to move elk, and to avoid the opening few days circus.

I've read the elk completion reports and spoke to the wildlife biologist this week for one of those areas, as well as e-scouting and watching videos.

In my conversations with the biologist and what i've seen and read, it isn't only distance that creates a sanctuary for elk, it can be elevation and vegetation too. Coming from southwest Michigan, elevation gain is hard for me to grasp, as i can walk 4 miles around trails by our home and probably only gain 100-150' in elevation.

So my question is what elevation gain over what distance makes you start paying attention that it might create that sanctuary effect. for example, I'm looking at areas that are 1000' elevation gain in about a mile, which seems like a lot to me, but there are many of those areas on the topo maps i'm looking at. When elevation creates a sanctuary, is that something we are talking about over a mile in distance, or over 300-440 feet in distance and steep enough that you are crawling up or downhill?

Thanks for the advice!

Matt

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would be surprised if you are hunting a unit, especially late season, where the elk have not changed their feeding and movement habits after hunters start shooting. You need to also understand that when you look at a topo and it shows only 1 mile to the next canyon or meadow that’s as the crow flies. On the ground it could 6-8 miles up and down.

Rick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just looking at a topo map is too general. It might show green and white, forest and open, but it doesn't show vegetation density. It doesn't show how much brush is between the trees. It doesn't show any rocks or hills that don't cross a topo line on the map. Most mountain area topo maps use a 40' interval between lines. A LOT can change in that 40'. A map program like OnX can be set to show satellite photography AND topo lines. That can help a lot but it's nothing like being there.
45 degrees is a really steep hill but even steeper ones are common in the Rockies. An elk can waltz up 45 degrees as easily as you can climb 10 degrees. Anything an elk will use for safety will also have several escape routes. If you sneak in one side, they can be going out 1 of possibly several other ways. You won't get them penned in.

Something we've talked about on other threads: if you find what looks like a good bedding area STAY OUT OF IT. Get there early and stay late but hunt around it, not in it. If you kick elk out of a bedding area, they won't stop running for 5 miles and they won't be back until they're kicked out of wherever they go.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I might also say that a smart move is to get to your hunt area two to three days early and get in some serious hiking so you can get acclimated to the altitude. I lived in Idaho for several years and hunted or fished constantly so my body was used to the altitude. When I left I went to sea for four years and afterwards came back Idaho and I had a real hard time with altitude. Sea level is low and the Rockies are high so Michigan to the mountains will need adjusting.

Rick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is the real deal. Your hunt may have little elevation gain, BUT might start at 7,000 feet.

You will need a couple days to acclimate to the conditions.

BTY elk can move 40-50 miles in a day.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
I might also say that a smart move is to get to your hunt area two to three days early and get in some serious hiking so you can get acclimated to the altitude. I lived in Idaho for several years and hunted or fished constantly so my body was used to the altitude. When I left I went to sea for four years and afterwards came back Idaho and I had a real hard time with altitude. Sea level is low and the Rockies are high so Michigan to the mountains will need adjusting.

Rick
Originally Posted by Reba
Here is the real deal. Your hunt may have little elevation gain, BUT might start at 7,000 feet.

You will need a couple days to acclimate to the conditions.

BTY elk can move 40-50 miles in a day.

thanks for the advice. I know the sheer scale and size of the area is going to be a shock. Originally we planned to get out there 3 days before season opened to find a campsite, acclimate and scout. After talking with the biologist about how much of a zoo it is out there, it has us thinking that going a week later would be better. Hunt/scout easy the first few days, acclimate and then be able to hit it hard for 5 days or so. I've been walking stairs and hiking with my a weighted backpack, but i know i'll have my hands on my knees sucking wind the whole trip. I've lost about 25 lbs over the last 8 months, so feel good, but know i'll likely be wholly unprepared for what it actually is like.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Just looking at a topo map is too general. It might show green and white, forest and open, but it doesn't show vegetation density. It doesn't show how much brush is between the trees. It doesn't show any rocks or hills that don't cross a topo line on the map. Most mountain area topo maps use a 40' interval between lines. A LOT can change in that 40'. A map program like OnX can be set to show satellite photography AND topo lines. That can help a lot but it's nothing like being there.
45 degrees is a really steep hill but even steeper ones are common in the Rockies. An elk can waltz up 45 degrees as easily as you can climb 10 degrees. Anything an elk will use for safety will also have several escape routes. If you sneak in one side, they can be going out 1 of possibly several other ways. You won't get them penned in.

Something we've talked about on other threads: if you find what looks like a good bedding area STAY OUT OF IT. Get there early and stay late but hunt around it, not in it. If you kick elk out of a bedding area, they won't stop running for 5 miles and they won't be back until they're kicked out of wherever they go.

RC, thanks for the advice. I should have said I've been using Gohunt maps. I use the topo only to look at contours and such, then add the aerial overlay. Never used a software like that before, but man is it cool.

I've been e-scouting the area for a couple months. Initially i just started out with the largest roadless/trail-less areas in an effort to get away from the roads. I found what i think are promising spots based on burns, thick cover, water and elevation, but the conversation with the biologist about elevation being able to create a sanctuary effect got me thinking that there might be areas i'm overlooking, or walking by because i was solely focused on distance creating a sanctuary. It's hard for me to envision what a 45degree slope looks like as they just don't exist here, at least not for more than 30' up the side of a landfill! So I'm just trying to reconcile what i see on a map with what experienced hunter and folks in the area say.

I will stay out of the bedding areas. Prior to all this prep, I never knew how much elk can travel in a day.

Thanks again.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It’s the altitude along with the altitude gain and slope where you’re hunting. For me, terrain that caused me to transition from a walking gait to climbing gait made a big difference.

Also, after 20+ elk hunting trips to Colorado, when each hunt was over I NEVER thought to myself, “I didn’t need to work out as hard or as much as I did.” 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use a topo map for the area I hunt and the most gradual slopes on the map are still steep enough to require being in good shape and not outpacing your abilities. Everything is steep. RC is spot on about topo maps leaving out detail that you can only experience from the ground. I do try to use Google earth or my phone to zoom into potential areas to identify areas of dead fall. Large swaths of deadfall might be good elk sanctuaries, but they can put a real damper on your plans if you are trying to travel.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd say a climb of 1000 feet will weed out some hunters but not all. You'll have company. 2000 would weed out most.

The limiting factor on the steepness of the grade is not how steep you can climb, it's how steep you want to pack a heavy load down. Especially off trail, in rock's, or heavy blowdown. If you haven't done that before, it's the hardest part of the trip.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
As Smokepole says a 1000’ of climb at altitude is a ball buster for most but add fallen brushy timber and it’s gets a lot worse real fast. Working through dead fallen timber for me was always tough as years ago I wore jeans and sweaty legs makes it even worse as the fabric keeps binding on your legs. As I got older I’d always try to side hill my climbs if possible. I’m sure the new fabrics make it easier but in the 60-70’s it was Levi’s or Wranglers.

Might add in all my years hunting food cows I always had very good luck around burns or where BLM chained the land usually late day and late season. New growth

Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd say a climb of 1000 feet will weed out some hunters but not all. You'll have company. 2000 would weed out most.

The limiting factor on the steepness of the grade is not how steep you can climb, it's how steep you want to pack a heavy load down. Especially off trail, in rock's, or heavy blowdown. If you haven't done that before, it's the hardest part of the trip.

^^^^^ this.

I live in east TN. I regularly hike on and off trail in the Smokys. I regularly spend alot of time at 5-6000 feet elevation. The Smoky's has most of its terrain as steep as anything in the Rockys, cliff faces and all. 2 differences:

1. Absolute elevation. I have zero issues hiking, rucking heavy loads, backpacking at elevations under ~ 8,000 feet. Between 8 and 10,000 there is a big difference. I'd even cut it finer and say 8 to 9,000 there is a difference, and between 9 and 10,000 there is a bigger difference in simply getting enough oxygen molecules into your lungs. Oxygen concentration is the same - ~ 21%, but the density is much less, meaning less oxygen molecules available to feed your aerobic engine. A finely tuned aerobic engine is your best friend, followed closely by, or in combination with, well honed muscular endurance.

2. Terrain slope. I find gradual slopes, even if the climb is 1000 feet, not all that bad even under load. When slope angles approach 20% (1 foot rise every 5 feet), you aren't running up or down the slope, at least not far. Combine steep slopes with lower available oxygen and a sanctuary is born. I hunt more than few steep areas and normally see exactly zero dudes. Find a bench on a steep slope with cover and connected to a remote meadow/aspen patch........ whistle

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Matt, Congratulations, you've got a good tag. I've not hunted that specific area but I've camped there a few times and I did a little bit of scouting in the southwest portion for deer some years ago. I used to work with a guy that had a honeyhole on the west side of Battle Mt. He and his father in law got their elk there every year for the 6-8 years that they hunted it. They got a few in September with archery and most with rifles in October. Another friend hunted with success for a few years in the southeastern part. He'd access his area from the Colorado side of the border. I can't give you many tips beyond the good advice others have shared except to say that most guys will run the roads in trucks, ATVs and UTVs. Your willingness to hike is to your advantage. Weather is always a wildcard when hunting the last half of October. 6 or 8" of snow isn't a big deal but a big snow can really screw up your plans. Good luck! Post pictures when you get home.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Griffin Butte in so. Idaho, 8400'. A few years ago a friend of mine had a cow tag there. He hadn't seen anything and after several days he decided to climb it for a better look around. On top he found a flat just crawling with elk. It looked like every elk in the county was hiding up there. There was nobody else around, just him and the elk. He easily got his cow but then he had to get it out....That was a long haul. Once he got it off the hill, it was another 3 miles to the trailhead.
A few years ago I got a cow at the base of it, but I have llamas.

[Linked Image from listsofjohn.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Colorado there is a lot of hunting pressure most places. Elk go high to avoid hunters but they are usually reluctant to break cover for long. Treeline in Southern Colorado is about 12,500ft and right at treeline has been very successful for me. As you move further north in latitude the treeline elevation becomes lower.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I use a topo map for the area I hunt and the most gradual slopes on the map are still steep enough to require being in good shape and not outpacing your abilities. Everything is steep. RC is spot on about topo maps leaving out detail that you can only experience from the ground. I do try to use Google earth or my phone to zoom into potential areas to identify areas of dead fall. Large swaths of deadfall might be good elk sanctuaries, but they can put a real damper on your plans if you are trying to travel.

Thanks Jeffrey. I'll try using Google earth. I've only used the aerials from gohunt, but will get into GE and peek around. I've read the thread you started on killing mature elk and picked up some good tips, unfortunately no alfalfa by where we are:)

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by smokepole

^^^^^ this.

I live in east TN. I regularly hike on and off trail in the Smokys. I regularly spend alot of time at 5-6000 feet elevation. The Smoky's has most of its terrain as steep as anything in the Rockys, cliff faces and all. 2 differences:

1. Absolute elevation. I have zero issues hiking, rucking heavy loads, backpacking at elevations under ~ 8,000 feet. Between 8 and 10,000 there is a big difference. I'd even cut it finer and say 8 to 9,000 there is a difference, and between 9 and 10,000 there is a bigger difference in simply getting enough oxygen molecules into your lungs. Oxygen concentration is the same - ~ 21%, but the density is much less, meaning less oxygen molecules available to feed your aerobic engine. A finely tuned aerobic engine is your best friend, followed closely by, or in combination with, well honed muscular endurance.

2. Terrain slope. I find gradual slopes, even if the climb is 1000 feet, not all that bad even under load. When slope angles approach 20% (1 foot rise every 5 feet), you aren't running up or down the slope, at least not far. Combine steep slopes with lower available oxygen and a sanctuary is born. I hunt more than few steep areas and normally see exactly zero dudes. Find a bench on a steep slope with cover and connected to a remote meadow/aspen patch........ whistle

Bwinters, I've found a small burn on the mapping software in the middle of a big roadless area. Thinking that will be our first stop. Has a small knob that seems like it would overlook most of the burn area. But it does look like a trek in.

I'm guessing most off trail stuff is about 1mph progress so probably a 2 hour hike for us..

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
People are working a lot harder than they use to.

With all the focus on burns from “influencers “, I’d have a couple other plans ready.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When packing a load downhill, a pair of good trekking poles is invaluable. Your knees are taking a pounding and poles can take a big load off of them.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just a tip that has proven fairly accurate over the years.

No matter how steep or gradual the elevation gain is, a good rule of thumb is to allow an hour of travel time for each 1000 ft. when climbing during a hunt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 49 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.