Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
......SNIP...

The shot timer was a revelation. I discovered that at the distances where I'd most frequently sorted out charging bears with a rifle (2-12 yards), that I could get three hits with the 10mm shooting 200 grainers at 1150 in the same time that I could get one hit with the .44 shooting 300 grainers at 1150. I realized the following:

1.) I know for a fact the 10mm load will penetrate just as sufficiently as the .44 load will.
2.) Given the limitations of a handgun compared to a rifle, multiple hits quickly are a great idea.
3.) The 10mm lets me get more behavior changing goodness into a bear faster than the .44 does.

.........SNIP.....

Maybe middle ground is the answer.

Big bullets, like the same caliber that the revolver fires, only in a semi auto and driven by a high performance load.

While the 10mm is super popular, lots of people overlook (a big mistake in my view) the heavy .45 ACP loads. When loaded properly, they are extremely impressive and very deep penetrators.

I may know "a guy" who loads them. But I also know that Buffalo Bore, who this thread originally talked about, also loads a 250 grain +P 45 load. Either way you are getting very impressive performance that should not be overlooked, if you are up in the air between 10mm and a .44 or .45 caliber revolver.

I tend to carry a Glock 21 or 1911 quite often, loaded with heavy loads when in Grizzly country, and have zero concerns about the load's ability to penetrate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As much as I love my revolvers, and I am a died in the wool large bore fan. I have been shooting .44s and .45s since a teen. That said, these days I tend to carry a lighter weight, higher capacity, easier to shoot, semi auto, when it comes to protection against large animals.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was always amazed at how much critter a 200 gr .45 SWC penetrated, although i never put one into bear...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by johnw
Was always amazed at how much critter a 200 gr .45 SWC penetrated, although i never put one into bear...

Moose and large bull elk are harder to penetrate than a bear in my experience which were 2 artic grizzly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Moose and large bull elk are harder to penetrate than a bear in my experience which were 2 artic grizzly

Never did that either. I did have a 200 SWC from my 1911 go through a deer shoulder and lodge in the big rolled roast portion of it's hind quarter.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
......SNIP...

The shot timer was a revelation. I discovered that at the distances where I'd most frequently sorted out charging bears with a rifle (2-12 yards), that I could get three hits with the 10mm shooting 200 grainers at 1150 in the same time that I could get one hit with the .44 shooting 300 grainers at 1150. I realized the following:

1.) I know for a fact the 10mm load will penetrate just as sufficiently as the .44 load will.
2.) Given the limitations of a handgun compared to a rifle, multiple hits quickly are a great idea.
3.) The 10mm lets me get more behavior changing goodness into a bear faster than the .44 does.

.........SNIP.....

Big bullets, like the same caliber that the revolver fires, only in a semi auto and driven by a high performance load.

While the 10mm is super popular, lots of people overlook (a big mistake in my view) the heavy .45 ACP loads. When loaded properly, they are extremely impressive and very deep penetrators.

I may know "a guy" who loads them. But I also know that Buffalo Bore, who this thread originally talked about, also loads a 250 grain +P 45 load. Either way you are getting very impressive performance that should not be overlooked, if you are up in the air between 10mm and a .44 or .45 caliber revolver.

I tend to carry a Glock 21 or 1911 quite often, loaded with heavy loads when in Grizzly country, and have zero concerns about the load's ability to penetrate.

As much as I love my revolvers, and I am a died in the wool large bore fan. I have been shooting .44s and .45s since a teen. That said, these days I tend to carry a lighter weight, higher capacity, easier to shoot, semi auto, when it comes to protection against large animals.

That's a good idea about the 45 ACP, didn't think about that. I see that Buffalo Bore make a 255 grain hard cast +P load that clocks about 900-950 fps.

I have a Ruger P90 45 ACP with three 8 round magazines. I'm now thinking that might be the way to go instead of my Ruger GP 100 .357 with 180 grain pills. I may have to change my slide spring in the P90, but I can test that out.

Last edited by bluestem; 08/19/23.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bluestem
......SNIP...

.........SNIP.....

That's a good idea about the 45 ACP, didn't think about that. I see that Buffalo Bore make a 255 grain hard cast +P load that clocks about 900-950 fps.

I have a Ruger P90 45 ACP with three 8 round magazines. I'm now thinking that might be the way to go instead of my Ruger GP 100 revolver with 180 grain pills. I may have to change my slide spring in the P90, but I can test that out.

Lost River Ammo produce near identical loads at a much more attractive price point.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks, will check out Lost River Ammo.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Originally Posted by Trystan
]

I have chronoed my 357 180 Buffalo bore hardcast out of a 6" barrel. Velocity was 1465 fps.

Maybe think about a 200 gr.

I don't believe Buffalo bore has a 200 grain offering. I'm not sure the velocity rule your refering to applies to hardcast lead since hardcast lead doesn't expand.

Last edited by Trystan; 08/20/23.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been carrying Buffalo Bore's 180 grain cast 357's in my 3" Model 60. It's pretty doggone brutal to shoot. I was impressed with the accuracy.

Buffalo Bore rates it at 1300 fps from a 3" barrel and my chronograph confirmed that. Haven't personally done any penetration testing, but I believe that this ammo will penetrate sufficiently.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=396

I've shot a few bear, one grizz, but all with rifles. Only saw one black bear shot with a 44 handgun - it was at quite close range and my hunting pard dropped that bear instantly with a 300+ grain hardcast.

Regards, Guy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by bluestem
......SNIP...

.........SNIP.....

I have a Ruger P90 45 ACP with three 8 round magazines. I'm now thinking that might be the way to go instead of my Ruger GP 100 revolver with 180 grain pills. I may have to change my slide spring in the P90, but I can test that out.

Lost River Ammo produce near identical loads at a much more attractive price point.

I carry a GP 100 for bear defense and have never had to use it in that capacity. HOWEVER, I recently picked up some of the Lost River .357 hardcast and tested it out on a number of things, from plain old stumps/firewood to carcasses, and it is my new go-to. I used to use 180 gr Buffalo Bore (and still have it around), but Lost River is what I'm using from here on out. Shoots great in the GP 100 and it also seems to perform at least as well (in my tests) as the Buffalo Bore did.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
......SNIP...

.........SNIP.....

How would these run in an Shield 45? Picked one up awhile back but have only tried fmj and self defense HP so far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finally, another grizzly handgun thread. Not being funny here, I enjoy seeing the opinions

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wife just went for a walk in the neighborhood and a 10 year old her there was a Black Bear up the street and a Brown Bear down the street pretty typical this time a year. Here in Eagle River AK, she has a Ruger SP 101 with 180 Gr BB loads or a XDM 10 MM with 220 gr cast loads. Which are usually at home! Shooting my S&W model 29 44 mag that I bought around 1980 and my Springfield XDM 10 mm both with heavy cast loads, the 10 mm was more accurate and easier to shoot fast.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Much more important than the cartridge that is used for bear protection is the ammo that you use. If your useing the wrong ammo I don't care what your shooting your odds drastically go down of being successful. Shot placement is also vitally important IME. It's almost laughable when people recommend aiming for the chest area since it's the biggest area to aim at. As stated in this thread. The 9mm is capable of getting the job done however the feela that was successful with that operation was using Buffalo bore bear ammo and used a head shot to kill the bear. Two extremely important details

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
IME, full house 180’s in a .357 require a taller front sight to adjust for POI. Easy to do with a Freedom Arms. FA has the taller sight; they know what you need. Swapping FA front sights is easy with an Allen wrench.

Not too sure about light weight .357 guns with full house 180’s. Those heavy loads may not be too easy to handle and POI probably needs adjusting.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After living in Alaska and then reading all about Mr. Shoemaker’s experience with 9mm, If I head into grizz country again, I’ll have my 10 mm loaded with the Double Tap hardcast I have or Buffalo Bore. Might even carry a 9mm if that’s what I have handy. I have 44 mag and 357. Great guns, but when you get that heavy, its hard to get more than one shot on target. Personally, I want as many on target as I can get.

Here in Arkansas with black bears, I’m good with my Glock 19 or CZ 75C with 147 grain Buffalo bore hardcast.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am not much of a handgun guy.
I carry a 5 shot S&W with a 3” barrel loaded with old Federal 180 hard cast ammo.
Simple and easy to operate under extreme stress. I am focused on hitting a target around 10-12’ away so regard sights as superfluous.
It is compact and acceptably light which means I am more likely to have it when needed.

Last edited by RinB; 08/23/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I see just as many Yetis as most of these folks see grizzlies. Any suggestions as to a handgun that will stop an enraged Sasquatch?

All sarcasm aside, Phil wrote a great article on this subject years ago in Handloader. As he has been there and done that, I would heed his advice. IIRC he was advocating a 4" .357 with heavy, nonexpanding bullets that would penetrate and allowed quicker repeat shots if needed.

Last edited by 3040Krag; 08/24/23.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I look at the box and my 357 is a model 60 which I really like.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be curious about Underwood's monolithic philips head loads in both 120 and 140 gr.

Opinions on this?

^^^^^^???

Underwood Extreme Penetrator

Last edited by johnw; 08/24/23.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,801
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.