Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by johnw
I'd be curious about Underwood's monolithic philips head loads in both 120 and 140 gr.

Opinions on this?

^^^^^^???

I've never used and do not intend to use them because of the high cost.
They don't do anything that a hardcast flat point can't accomplish

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Craigster
I wouldn't hold my breath. Unless the shot is in the exact right spot.

With correct shot placement they will work perfectly, so will many other calibers including all the heavy recoiling calibers . But if you are worried about maybe, possibly, not placing your fist shot exactly correct then You will need to rely on a quick second or third shot and for that the lighter calibers are defiantly superior.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Trystan
It's almost laughable when people recommend aiming for the chest area since it's the biggest area to aim at. As stated in this thread. The 9mm is capable of getting the job done however the feela that was successful with that operation was using Buffalo bore bear ammo and used a head shot to kill the bear. Two extremely important details

Perhaps Phil will comment since he’s here; I don’t recall a head shot in his description of the incident - but it’s been a few years.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Trystan
It's almost laughable when people recommend aiming for the chest area since it's the biggest area to aim at. As stated in this thread. The 9mm is capable of getting the job done however the feela that was successful with that operation was using Buffalo bore bear ammo and used a head shot to kill the bear. Two extremely important details

Perhaps Phil will comment since he’s here; I don’t recall a head shot in his description of the incident - but it’s been a few years.

Phil did not shoot the bear in the head. He hit thebearfin the chest each shot until the last one and the bear was running way at that point

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
What about handloads? What powder and weight for 180's in a 357?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're handloading then I'd look at 200gr hard cast.
2400, 4227, H110/W296, maybe Blue Dot are your friends

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I believe, and carry:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards, Guy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a believer.

180 grain HC in the S&W when I'm calling black bears.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never carried for brown bears. But carry all the time when I'm in the swamp lands where black bears will regularly go to 500+ lbs and it's eay to encounter an unseen bear within 30 feet which I've done on several occassions (though 2 legged critters are likely far more dangerous).

I tend to carry 158 - 180 grain SJHP loads, but have fired the Buffalo Bore 180 grain hard cast, and carried them when I've hiked deep into the swamp with my camera. The SP101 cylinder is long enough to accomodate and function with them, but they are a handful in that gun. Easier yet is the GP100, and still more the Ruger Redhawk 8-shot .357. The Redhawk a pussycat with the hottest loads which make rapid, accurate fire failry easy. All these wear Hogue rubber monogrips at this time which, while not to pretty, make shooting hot loads easier.

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 180 gr hardcast .357 bullet from Cast Performance I believe is the same bullet used in the Buffalo Bore cartridges. I handload it to just under 1200 fps with 2400.

It is easy to shoot a string relatively fast, and my rudimentary penetration tests through wood have been impressive. I carry it frequently in a 6” S&W 686 in black bear country. I’ve never shot it into a bear of any sort.

Last edited by GF1; 09/11/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
'I could get three hits with the 10mm shooting 200 grainers at 1150 in the same time that I could get one hit with the .44 shooting 300 grainers at 1150."
Pa: Why is the first shot with 44 slower than the first shot with a 10mm?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another perspective:

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by bobmn
'I could get three hits with the 10mm shooting 200 grainers at 1150 in the same time that I could get one hit with the .44 shooting 300 grainers at 1150."
Pa: Why is the first shot with 44 slower than the first shot with a 10mm?

It's that the recoil effects of the .44 mag make follow ups that much slower. Truth be told for myself, with equivalent holsters I'm fastest on the first shot with a 1911, then a striker fired gun, then a Kahr or a revolver. I'm no Jerry Miculek, triggers matter for me.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm shooting a 200 WFN H-C at 1,200 out of a 5" 686.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
In my experience things happen so fast when you have an actual problem with a brown bear that the best you can do is shoot the middle of the brown blur with something big enough to matter. The idea of aiming at a specific spot is often mere fantasy. There are some exceptions to this, such as when a bear is perhaps not being as serious about things as the person feeling threatened is and the bear gets shot for it. Another possibility is with the way involuntary human response to stress works, whereby you end up experiencing an event in slow-motion time. In that circumstance it can seem as though you've got plenty of time to sort things out, but that's beyond your control and is nothing to count on.

Due to the angles presented with the event and ranges at which they occur, defensive shootings of bears necessitate penetration through skulls, necks, shoulders, or all three before the bullet can drive through the chest. The best case is a mix of bullet expansion and penetration, but if I was forced to choose between the two I would pick penetration every time.

One thing that changed my thinking when it came to handguns and bears is actual experience. I've killed quite a bit of game with things ranging from 9mm to stoutly loaded .45 Colts, including various loads in the .357 and .44 special. I've also seen a number of deer killed by the .454 of a friend. As a result of this experience I decided that handguns kill stuff in a way more akin to a broadhead than a rifle. I also learned that out to about 75 yards there's not much difference in actual killing performance between something like a .44 special shooting 255gr WFN at 1050 and a .45 Colt shooting a 300gr LFN at 1250. Both penetrate sufficiently, and holes do the killing. The .454 with lighter bullets at greater velocity hit deer harder, but with the trade off of a heavier, higher recoiling gun shooting loads with less penetration than things going slower. As Mule Deer alluded to previously, no handgun round is going to solve problems as decisively as a rifle.

I've always generally been a revolver guy when it comes to my choices in outdoor handguns. A couple years ago my wife asked about getting a handgun for bear defense so her hands could be freed up while walking the dogs and dealing with kids during walks around town. She's never much cared for revolvers, so it was pretty obvious a 10mm would be a good choice for her. I'm not a bandwagon sort of person, the more popular something becomes the more likely I am to avoid it. So the more popular 10mms became, the more stubborn I became about liking my S&W 69 for my brown bear country handgun needs. But I yielded to what would work best for my wife and bought a couple 10mms for her to try out. In the process I did load development and shot them quite a bit myself.

The shot timer was a revelation. I discovered that at the distances where I'd most frequently sorted out charging bears with a rifle (2-12 yards), that I could get three hits with the 10mm shooting 200 grainers at 1150 in the same time that I could get one hit with the .44 shooting 300 grainers at 1150. I realized the following:

1.) I know for a fact the 10mm load will penetrate just as sufficiently as the .44 load will.
2.) Given the limitations of a handgun compared to a rifle, multiple hits quickly are a great idea.
3.) The 10mm lets me get more behavior changing goodness into a bear faster than the .44 does.

For bear defense, a handgun is a weapon of compromise and convenience, a get-offa-me gun, and a rifle's sidekick. A smart person would never choose to fight a bear with just a handgun but nevertheless carrying a handgun in bear country is a great idea for people who invest the time to be proficient with one. All of which is to say that if a person liked their .357, it might not be my choice but I reckon a good 180gr .357 load would have sufficient penetration to make it into a bear's vitals on a frontal angle.

Lotta good stuff in this post. IMO. Especially the part about stuff happening quickly and unexpectedly.
Ive seen very frightened brown bear and very pissed-off brown bear cover ground so quickly that it makes your jaw drop. Never had to shoot to stop one, but I've always thought afterward that it would have been very difficult to hit the bear AT ALL, much less in a vital. They are a big target for sure, but they can move so darn fast.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
This is a good thread and fun to read the stories from you guys way up north who deal with Earth's biggest land predators. Lots of interesting perspectives and experience.

It seems to me that practicing with some kind of moving target that simulates a charge is a great idea. It was mentioned in the thread earlier and I have seen that suggested before on forums and in at least one article.

I'll relate what I have to offer regarding Buffalo Bores Heavy Outdoorsman round in .357 Mag.

When I lived in Arizona I used to like taking solo bowhunting trips all over the Mogollon Rim country and up on the north rim of the Grand Canyon in the Kaibab strip. I had a 4" S&W 686 and always kept it loaded with the BB Heavy Outdoorsman rounds. I didn't know squat about bears or how good they would work but I figured they were about as close as it would matter to whatever the best black bear medicine out of a .357 Mag was. Since I was always alone and far from immediate help I thought it was prudent to at least carry that.

I shot that gun a lot with other loads and sometimes tested the BB loads but I did not practice as much as I should have and never had a moving target to simulate a charge. But once I set a large Gatorade bottle that I filled with water and froze in front of a phone book and shot it with that round from my 686. I thought the phone book would catch the round but it just exploded the bottle of solid ice and penetrated through the thick phone book. I guess it buried in the dirt bank I leaned it against, I never found the slug.

I shot them over my chronograph and got an average just below 1500 fps from that Smith. It was an older one and someone told me they had fast tubes.

The only time I ever saw a bear in the woods was a day I had gone up to Knoll Lake to visit a buddy who was camping there with his wife and we did some fishing. I just had my XD9 Service that I carried in Phoenix with 124 grain Federal HST +P hollow points. I was heading home and saw a bear about 100 yards away. Even though it was far it looked big and needless to say I was feeling really undergunned!

I have an SP101 .357 Mag now with a 3" barrel that I carry with BB Heavy Outdoorsman rounds when I'm in the northern Michigan woods, if I'm not carrying a rifle. I also have a Blackhawk in .41 Mag and I have some 265 grain WFN rounds from Grizzly Cartridge Company that I carry in a Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." --Col Townsend Whelen
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=Cascade]I've been carrying Buffalo Bore's 180 grain cast 357's in my 3" Model 60. It's pretty doggone brutal to shoot. I was impressed with the accuracy.

Buffalo Bore rates it at 1300 fps from a 3" barrel and my chronograph confirmed that. Haven't personally done any penetration testing, but I believe that this ammo will penetrate sufficiently.

This. I carried the exact 3" M60 a bit until my hands, wrists needed some maintenance surgeries for arthritis. Even with heavy 38 Specials it was a handful! Gave it to my Marine SIL. As a compromise, I now carry a 6 shot, 4" SS Ruger Security Six ( one of the first made in 38 Spc only, #160-***** , very accurate) with DoubleTap ( Mostly Buffalo Bore) Outdoors 38 Special 158 HC. I can shoot it very fast and very well ( if I say so myself! ha) In that slightly heavier SS Ruger recoil feels like Target loads, but they do penetrate! Any handgun, to me, beats having to use my Cold Steel Outdoorsman. smile

P.S. I have been lusting at the S&W Mod 69, but would only use Buffalo Bore .44 Special 255 HC for the recoil reduction. It may be heavy enough to counter the recoil generated by the 44 Special. Oh well, it is a beauty at any rate, that Mod 69. I have had two Mountain Guns (.44 Mag and 45 Colt) but I couldn't shoot them well with the arthritis (stiff knuckles, painful palms/wrist) Right before my hands/wrist started acting up. I had a Freedom Arms Mod 97 , 45 LC I loaded the 270 Keith HC to a tad over 1000fps. It just became too hard to shoot well, so the surgery eat it up, had to sell. But it was a Bank Vault! A beautiful thing. frown

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 10/31/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No that I have to worry about grizzlies, but I ordered a bunch of the hardcast GC 180gr bullets from Midway when they had them on clearance. Plan is to load them around 900fps to shoot out of a 4" Ruger Security Six, although I may hot rod them out of a .357 Max in a 14" Contender.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I clocked both of DoubleTaps 38 Special 158gr ( Hard cast and all lead Hollow Point) right at (CORRECTION: The DoubleTap do exactly 950fps in my 4" bbl, NOT 1250fps.) The Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 Spcl 158 Keith do right at 1150 out of my old Ruger! Found my note last night! Either load beats "a Ranger Thumb to the Eye" for old mama Black bear! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 10/31/23.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,964
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.