Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Seems black ones are a later rendition, not so much the case in the early days.
In Genesis, the Bible says that a mark was put on Cain's forehead marking him as cursed for murdering his brother. Joseph Smith said that the mark was a black skin and all blacks are cursed because of it. They were shut out of Mormanism for well over 100 years. Then things changed. The Mormons were trying to expand their ministry into Africa and not having much luck because all of their would be converts were black and cursed. At the same time, the Mormon college BYU was trying hard to break into the top 20 in football. Their head coach, Lavell Edwards, said over and over that he couldn't recruit black players because they were ostracized by the church. They wouldn't play where they were shut out of society. So, the Mormon leaders went into hiding and came back out saying that God had changed his mind and now blacks were to be fully accepted. Their ministry in Africa started to grow and within a couple years, BYU, with new black players, hit the top 20. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you can tell God what to do.

God loves a winning season!

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
They are accepting the alphabet community too now

Gotta keep that money flowing in

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“Jack Latter Day Saint” doesn’t sound right.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was once one of those young men in a shirt and tie for two years in Michigan. Give them courtesy, let them share the message, ponder it, and ultimately you decide if you want to hear more.

The church has always been called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Mormon's became a nickname due to The Book of Mormon, which is another testament of Jesus Christ. The church has pushed to not use the term Mormon, because of the confusion it has caused among non-members. Many, not of the faith, never even realized that we are a Christian faith. But it's always been in the name and belief of the church.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Tyrone
TLDW? It's all made-up.

That was a good one,thanks for posting.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tell em you know Brigham young....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's just another religion founded by some guy who wanted to be able to screw a bunch of women, and if you wanted to do the same, you had to pay him 10% of your earnings to get the membership card. It's no better or worse than any other scam built on fiction and called religion. I've lived among Baptists who were more overbearing, Jews who had an even tighter clique, and Seventh Day Adventists with even kookier doctrine.

My Mormon neighbors don't drink coffee or alcohol, but they don't try to tell me I shouldn't.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
There was an apt complex back in April this year, they had sawed down several red oaks along the highway frontage. Sawed up into the rounds, most of it was 24-30” diameter. Very heavy. All of the smaller sized stuff had been scavenged by others.

Myself and mrs slulmord rolled in there with a 16 ft trailer and were getting those rounds. Mostly her doing all of the work.

Two Mormon boys (college age) were canvassing that apt complex and came straight over to us and asked if we would like some help. Sure!! They took over, fell right in there and were loading up some of the heavier 100-150lb rounds. In 10 mins they had about 25 rounds loaded up. 😳🤙😱😎

Gave me a picture of Jesus, keep on the dash of my f250. They showed up like out of nowhere and boy did we really need some help. I’m grateful to em.

Your story warms my heart Pard.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was playing catch with our son one day when 2 young men from the Mormon church came by. They were nice, polite, all American looking young men. We invited them to play catch and they were happy to accept the invitation. We threw the ball around for 45+ minutes and talked about all kinds of stuff including our religious beliefs.

While they didn’t get a convert with me they did earn a lot of my respect. They were excellent ambassadors for their faith and were the type of young men that were the obvious products of good raising….the type of young men that this country could use more of.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
You will not find a preponderance of single mothers with seven baby daddies among the Morman Church. Nor a preponderance of welfare recipients, let alone generational welfare as a way of life. Divorce rate is fairly low. They generally live a fairly healthy lifestyle. Life expectancy is fairly high. As a rule they pay extreme attention to the care and proper education of their youth.

Much of America would do well to emulate many of the practices of the Morman Church.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
You will not find a preponderance of single mothers with seven baby daddies among the Morman Church. Nor a preponderance of welfare recipients, let alone generational welfare as a way of life. Divorce rate is fairly low. They generally live a fairly healthy lifestyle. Life expectancy is fairly high. As a rule they pay extreme attention to the care and proper education of their youth.

Much of America would do well to emulate many of the practices of the Morman Church.

In all fairness, they don’t send ALL young men (or, these days, women) on missions. You have to be a member in good standing, have the financial ability to pay for the necessary expenses, and be committed to the faith enough o take a year and a half off to go evangelize.

That leaves out a lot of chaff…….

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Fúck that!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch

In all fairness, they don’t send ALL young men (or, these days, women) on missions. You have to be a member in good standing, have the financial ability to pay for the necessary expenses, and be committed to the faith enough o take a year and a half off to go evangelize.

That leaves out a lot of chaff…….

Guy that recently did our landscaping is LDS. He had two of his sons working with him. One started his mission while working on our place. The other didn't seem like the missionary type. All of them worked hard and did a good job.

Carpe' Scrotum
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
About a third of my school classmates were Morman. About 1/4 of my workmates for the last forty years were Morman. (About 1/2 were Hispanic and most of those were Catholic. Though a few of the Hispanics were Morman or JW) One Aunt was Morman, as were her kids, my cousins. My Son had a preponderance of Morman friends in School and was himself babtized in High School.

It is from these groups that I draw my observations.

Yes, the old saw about don't take just one Morman fishing was true for about half the Miorman men in my workplace. But even among those, they had strong family ties. And predominantly raised their children correctly. While sometimes the Dad was "Jack Morman", the Mom maintained the proper family dynamic, took the kids to Church, and cared for their education.

There are always exceptions. I know of one Morman raised female with three kids raised in the Church. She was divorced three times, and was the biggest meth dealer in our small community. She went to prison once for forged checks, but somehow always avoided drug arrests.

But she claimed to be Morman until the day she died, and took advantage of every bit of help The Church continued to offer her. Her pantry was always well stocked. She made frequent trips to "Bishop's Warehouse".

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
ancestors some of the first Mormons in/and settled Snake River Valley.Built the canal system from Jackson Reservoir
was spoon-fed doctrine daily.

ever heard the saying "more Catholic than the Pope". Well they were more Mormon tha SLCS

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by slumlord
There was an apt complex back in April this year, they had sawed down several red oaks along the highway frontage. Sawed up into the rounds, most of it was 24-30” diameter. Very heavy. All of the smaller sized stuff had been scavenged by others.

Myself and mrs slulmord rolled in there with a 16 ft trailer and were getting those rounds. Mostly her doing all of the work.

Two Mormon boys (college age) were canvassing that apt complex and came straight over to us and asked if we would like some help. Sure!! They took over, fell right in there and were loading up some of the heavier 100-150lb rounds. In 10 mins they had about 25 rounds loaded up. 😳🤙😱😎

Gave me a picture of Jesus, keep on the dash of my f250. They showed up like out of nowhere and boy did we really need some help. I’m grateful to em.

Pard.

Those sound like some great pards, pard.

excuse us pre-Boomers, but is pard the same as dude, the same as soul brother?

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Etoh
have some fun with it. and apologize by offering them a beer.

If there had only been one of them, he’d have taken your beer.

Just spent 5 days fishing in Idaho with one from Utah. Each morning had to stop on the Idaho side of the border so he could buy the “good” beer.

Old Idaho saying, "never take a Mormon fishing, They will drink all your beer"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
I was once one of those young men in a shirt and tie for two years in Michigan. Give them courtesy, let them share the message, ponder it, and ultimately you decide if you want to hear more.

The church has always been called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Mormon's became a nickname due to The Book of Mormon, which is another testament of Jesus Christ. The church has pushed to not use the term Mormon, because of the confusion it has caused among non-members. Many, not of the faith, never even realized that we are a Christian faith. But it's always been in the name and belief of the church.

My wife and I have discovered the blessings of hosting the LDS missionaries in Carlsbad for a while now. It started with a quick visit with my wife while she was out working in the yard early this past spring. She invited them to come back when I was home and they did so.

They shared the Book of Mormon with us and that began a continuing conversation about Christ that continues today.

We have not converted to the LDS church, never will, and have made that plain to them. Personally, we don't believe that the Book of Mormon is true, but we can agree that Christ is our Savior, that His Life, Death, and Resurrection changed the world, and that the Bible is the inspired Word of God.
They come over at least once a week, most times we feed them, and we discuss the Bible and matters of the Christian faith. For the most part, they are very knowledgeable in the Bible, moreso the New Testament, and are eager to learn more about Christ and share what they have learned about Him.
They are remarkable young men, with a very tough assignment, and every one we have met has a servant's heart.

Think about being 18 years old, shipped off to a strange area, walking or biking a town, talking with complete strangers about a very sensitive and (mostly) private subject while having to bear the sometimes extremely harsh responses of both non-believers and other supposed "Christians". Limited to a very small stipend to live on, forced to wear a uniform and a badge that proclaims them to be "elders", being moved around to different towns several times during their two year mission, working alongside different "companions" on each change of locations, and learning to not take things personally, meeting each person where they are in life.

The body of LDS missionaries in this area has turned over several times since early Spring and we try to keep the continuity going with each new transferee. They are treated like our sons just as we hope that someone would treat our own kids if they were to travel to a strange town on a difficult job.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Seems black ones are a later rendition, not so much the case in the early days.
In Genesis, the Bible says that a mark was put on Cain's forehead marking him as cursed for murdering his brother. Joseph Smith said that the mark was a black skin and all blacks are cursed because of it. They were shut out of Mormanism for well over 100 years. Then things changed. The Mormons were trying to expand their ministry into Africa and not having much luck because all of their would be converts were black and cursed. At the same time, the Mormon college BYU was trying hard to break into the top 20 in football. Their head coach, Lavell Edwards, said over and over that he couldn't recruit black players because they were ostracized by the church. They wouldn't play where they were shut out of society. So, the Mormon leaders went into hiding and came back out saying that God had changed his mind and now blacks were to be fully accepted. Their ministry in Africa started to grow and within a couple years, BYU, with new black players, hit the top 20. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you can tell God what to do.

Good story but not the way it happened, The Mormons were caught between a Gold plate and a hard spot. Missionaries were converting tons of Latinos, especially Brazilian. All this was before the science of Genetics had reached todays state. Most of the Brazilian had Negroe blood -- which was in direct contradiction to Mormon policy. Ohoh time for a vision. And by the way normal people can't have visions, only official visions count.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Take into context the times in which Joe Smith was preaching. Along the Eyre? canal when people from all over were telling a story about strange places. Think of how much mythology and folklore a young man being raised by his mother could absorb. Throw in a Mummy to show folks around the Missouri area. Throw in a vision or two, and shades of Ancient Aliens, the New World has its own home grown prophet. None of that European, you said, they said, he said stuff.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,660
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.