Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Closed casket.

Who wants to be wallered around by some weirdo mortician and makeup caked on your face and set out on display for people to gawk at?

I’ve already made it clear to my family. No embalming(which you don’t have to do if you have a closed casket) just put me in my dress uniform from the Army close the lid and be done with it. I’ve always thought a nice picture of the deceased in happier times set on the coffin was a lot better than a creepy stuffed carcass that only slightly resembles the dead person displayed like a carnival attraction. I’d rather my last remembrance of the person be them alive not dead.

Besides put some research into what goes in when embalming a person and tell me that’s what you want.

As for the cremation folks. What can I say people are freakin stupid in life why would their death be any different lol

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a vote for open or to at least be seen by people that matter. My grandpa was killed in an accident at 59; I was 9. I spent years hoping/wishing/dreaming it wasn't true and that he was coming back.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My wife was cremated as per her wishes. Prior to that off she went for organ and tissue harvesting. Well that took nearly a whole week. I just wanted to get it over with and deal with the aftermath. Becausof delays and the macabre, to me, harvesting Ive removed organ donor from my DL.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Hopefully my son will dig a hole by the front feeder and put me in it. By the time we got finished at the funeral home for my Dad the total bill was almost $3000. The obituary in Palm Beach Post alone was $750 for a single Sunday run. A simple cremation, 10 short form certificates, 5 long form certificates, a cardboard box for his ashes plus a couple of other minor fees.
FYI, write down and tell your family what you want to happen when you die. My Dad stated, if someone wants to see me they can see me while I'm alive.
Why write it down?

Go somewhere, prepay and save them the time and headache.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If my organs can help someone live after I'm dead they're welcome to them, I sure won't be needing them anymore! The idea of being able to save another's life even as you die has great appeal. I agree about the embalming and open casket deal, I really don't like the idea of a bunch of people coming by gawking at my corpse. I will leave it up to family though l8ke I said as I feel that should be their choice as it's their feelings to salve at the time, not mine; but preferably cremation, a family remembrance meeting, plant the urn in the cemetery and done. If I could legally be buried here on the old family homeplace that would fine, I've spent much of my life here anyways but that's likely not legal.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I'll be burned with no service. Ashes are to be mixed with bear bait.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Wife and I plan to be cremated and mixed together along with our elderly Cat and strewn out where ever the boys want.

lightman
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JMR40
I think I read about a funeral home somewhere down South doing similar.

They got in some trouble when caught.

You may be thinking about this. Happened a few miles from here. Father and son ran a crematory where bodies were sent. Dad died; son was a little off. He claims there was an equipment breakdown, and he didn't know how to fix it. So, he started dumping bodies (about 300) on the property and sending a box of dust back to the funeral homes. The son just got out of prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Crematory_scandal
That’s it. I referenced it on the previous page.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Caplock
My wife was cremated as per her wishes. Prior to that off she went for organ and tissue harvesting. Well that took nearly a whole week. I just wanted to get it over with and deal with the aftermath. Becausof delays and the macabre, to me, harvesting Ive removed organ donor from my DL.

You in a rush to be somewhere after you die?

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sky burial for me. Kinda like open casket, but with vultures and ravens.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Laying out in the woods for the bugs and critters to feast on will suit me just fine. Screw all the hooplah

Hardin284
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hardin284
Laying out in the woods for the bugs and critters to feast on will suit me just fine. Screw all the hooplah
A”green” burial. My friend who owns our local funeral home wants the same…..go figure

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve only ever been to two closed casket funerals.
One was a friend of the family who was horribly killed in a car versus truck accident.
The other was the son of a friend who had taken his own life with a shotgun to
The head.
I’ve had friends and relatives who chose cremation. A three were open caskets .I was told by a family member of the deceased that the casket is a rental and the body was placed in a cardboard box before the cremation service.
Many now have videos of the deceased doing what they loved to do, boards filled with pictures of them enjoying themselves, but they were still open casket.
I’ve only seen a couple that didn’t look themselves. Most of the funeral directors or morticians I e seen have done a good job.
I told Ben to do whatever he thinks is best, but to cremate me and put me in a mason jar to be thrown off The Big Rock that I have described in previous posts about The Old Man.
His last words to Dave and I was I’ll see you boys on The. Big Rock.
Every year in deer season I go up
They’re with two bears and some ciggarettes one for me, and one to be left for The Old Man.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cremation. Embalming is not for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If things work out right, I’m taking a few [bleep] with me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
if I remember correctly one of the members here who owns property out west was going to have a deep hole dug out in the forest and just be buried there with no marker or anything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I WANT A CLOSED CASKET FUNERAL AND AT THE END OF THE SERVICE PLEASE HAVE THE ORGANIST PLAY POP GOES THE WEASEL OVER AND OVER UNTIL EVERYONE IN ATTENDANCE IS STARING AT MY COFFIN WITH SILENT HORRIFIED ANTICIPATION

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I'm leaving it up to family, whatever suits them. Cremation would be fine with me.
Nice to leave that upon them at one of the hardest times of their lives.

THAT, is how the funeral 'business' survives.....

IMHO...

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What if my decision placed an unwanted or untimely burden on the family at a time when they could least afford it? And for all anybody here knows they might throw a party when it comes time for me to kick the bucket. Jumping to conclusions based on very little evidence does seem standard procedure for the fire though.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Closure?? I knew ALL of my grandparents, never saw any of them lying in the box, and yet I fully understand that they are dead!!! YMMV.

Come January, Mom will have been gone 2 years, All her children were in the room with her when she passed. She was cremated, ashes picked up in the cardboard box,we have yet to have a funeral, service, whatever.... none seem too concerned about it.

Had a family member that absolutely wished to be cremated, he was, but AFTER the wife had him embalmed, put in a casket, full open door service, and THEN cremated!?!?!?

Friend, cremated and scattered under his number one deer stand pine tree. His mom is still not happy about that..

I've seen lots of live people that looked dead, I've never seen a dead one that looked alive, or sleeping peacefully..........

Bottom line it's all so very personal, and after you are gone you have no control over what the remaining do with your carcas.

My plan?? the wife and I will be cremated, the girls can dump us somewhere, we've suggested a cruise to Alaska and leave 'US" there..... It'll be paid for.

Just a box in the dirt is fine with me though, worms gotta eat too.

just remembered a discussion with mom: discussing her 'requests'

Do you want to be buried?

Oh NO, I couldn't stand to be in the cold damp ground, could I?? (think typically British)

Well then, cremated??

Golly no! Burned up like that???

OK Ma, what's left? Burial at Sea?????

Don't be daft, I can't swim can I????????

Well, I don't know what's left, I could call NASA and see if we can get you sent to the moon!!!!!!

Well.......... I don't know........... I guess cremation would be alright!

Last edited by Muffin; 09/13/23.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,817
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.