-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The largest grizzly shot in the Peace Country of BC was with a 243.Terry's father was hunting moose over a lick and the grizzly was hunting him. He turned and got the grizzly in the neck.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Okay, the OP said he tossed the topic out because he was bored. I guess that does qualify as a troll. But there are a lot worse topics than bears and firearms. I don’t think I want to know someone who can’t get a lot of entertainment and maybe some enlightenment from a bear thread.

When I was a young man (I’m eighty now) a along time ago, I spent quite a bit of time working and living in sometimes very close proximity to brown bears out on the Alaskan Peninsula. Never shot one, never had any desire to shoot one, but always found them extremely interesting. Had the stuffing scared out of me a couple times to add to the interest/excitement.

Loved to hear the old-timers tell bear stories. They ranked right up there with scary bush plane stories for bunkhouse entertainment. Anyway, maybe it’s just me, but I found this old thread very entertaining. Always love discussions of bears and bear guns.

FWIW, from a guy whose never killed a bear, I would want a partner or guide backing me up if I only had a .243. And I wouldn’t want that light a cartridge for sloshing around on salmon streams or thick brush. I came to favor a Remington pump in ‘06 for when bears were expected up close. Grizzly’s may be a lot smaller than brown bear, but from what the more experienced say, probably more truculent. A .243 would be probably be just fine for an unsuspecting bear seen at a distance, but up close and personal, I’d want something with a bit more poop.

Great thread, great fun, glad to see it resurrected.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Often when I was stationed in Kodiak, I'd go afield hunting for Blacktails armed with nothing but a 243. It'd be stoked with 100 grain Partitions. I had confidence that they'd discourage a bear if needed. Glad I never had to find out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With the right bullet, it’d be better than a pocket knife.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I worked/hunted with a guy that got in a deal, down in a gorge one time, bumping mama griz and 2 year old twin cubs. They were trying to post-haste exit the gorge, the only way out - a span of 20 feet or so. He was in it....

Had 10 rounds with him for his .243, and had to climb back up to the top of the hill to get more from his 3-wheeler to finish the last wounded bear still alive.

He was still pale 2 weeks later.

I helped butcher the meat, which proved inedible. They had been heavy into the wild leeks or onions. Not even my saltwater aquarium crab and starfish would eat it. The crab actively spit it out, the starfish worked it up an arm to it's mouth, dropped it, and crawled into the farthest away corner, which was rather funny.

I have never had any desire (nor been forced) to shoot a griz or brown bear in 55 years up here, but I'd certainly choose something a bit heavier than .243 if I had the choice.

Last edited by las; 09/14/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Allways new guys dragging up 10 year old + stupid threads. Seeking relevance?

Not a new guy…..probably a hijacked account lol.

💯

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
This thread is a joke ====right?

Whoever started it must be a really good friend of OLE' Joey Biden!

Hip

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
According to the WRAP (Whopping, Range And Power) formula devised by well-known ballistician, free-hunt scammer and bourbon tester B.S. Daily, the .243 Winchester with a 100-grain bullet would be adequate for grizzly bears weighing up to 327 pounds at ranges under 143 yards. If the bullet weight is dropped to 85 grains the maximum bear weight would drop to 254 pounds but the range would increase to 178 yards, due to flatter trajectory.

Of course, all of this depends on precise bullet placement, defined by B.S. as "1/3 of the way back from the grunt-hole to the fart-hole." Mr. Daily is also known for his frequent use of warm gas references.

I don't care who you are. That scheit's funny!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dang, forgot I posted that!

Thanks for the memory....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by doubletap
I've been reading on some threads about how the .243 Win. is a better cartridge than a 25-06 and that a 25-06 with 120 grain bullets is as effective as a .270 Win. I've also read about how effective the .270 can be on grizzly bears. We all know that there isn't a hill of beans worth of difference between a .270 Win. and a 30-06 and the 30-06 is a supreme grizzly bear cartridge.

Ergo, the .243 Win is as effective as a 30-06, especially with the new magic bullets, and is a grizzly killer extraordinaire.

Sorry, I'm bored.

In my opinion it's more effective than the 44 mag. Food for thought and my flame suit is on

Last edited by Trystan; 09/14/23.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
This thread is a joke ====right?

Whoever started it must be a really good friend of OLE' Joey Biden!

Hip
Why? Does he hunt Grizz with a 243?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dang, forgot I posted that!

Thanks for the memory....

Right on. Thanks for the laugh!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
GOTTA BE A "Classic" !!!

"not too grumpy"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wouldn't be scared to put a 100gr Power Point in a Grizz's ribs.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
People shot grizzlies with muzzle loaders over a century ago..........

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Often when I was stationed in Kodiak, I'd go afield hunting for Blacktails armed with nothing but a 243. It'd be stoked with 100 grain Partitions. I had confidence that they'd discourage a bear if needed. Glad I never had to find out.

An uncle grew up in Alaska and was on Kodiak before Alaska was a state and one year went deer hunting in late November when the bears should’ve been denned up for the winter. He was carrying his 25-06 and his friend Niles was (thankfully) carrying the big gun…a .270Win. Long story short but Rick got 3 from his 25-06 and Niles got 1 .270 into the bear before Rick started running and shooting…running and reloading thru the thick alders. Luckily Niles’ shot hit the bear in the lower spine and paralyzed its hind legs which it was dragging behind itself faster than Rick could run. Every time the bear got hung up on a tree Rick said it snapped it off with its teeth…2-4” alders snapping like pencils as Rick turned to fire. Finally Rick said F&$# it and with his last 25-06 round he stood his ground and put it between the bears eyes. The bear literally fell at his feet.

The skull still sits proudly front and center in the entryway of his house with a nice clean 25 caliber hole almost dead center between the eyes.

Rick said that after that he started carrying his 30-06 for deer on Kodiak irregardless of the time of year.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

An uncle grew up in Alaska and was on Kodiak before Alaska was a state and one year went deer hunting in late November when the bears should’ve been denned up for the winter. He was carrying his 25-06 and his friend Niles was (thankfully) carrying the big gun…a .270Win. Long story short but Rick got 3 from his 25-06 and Niles got 1 .270 into the bear before Rick started running and shooting…running and reloading thru the thick alders. Luckily Niles’ shot hit the bear in the lower spine and paralyzed its hind legs which it was dragging behind itself faster than Rick could run. Every time the bear got hung up on a tree Rick said it snapped it off with its teeth…2-4” alders snapping like pencils as Rick turned to fire. Finally Rick said F&$# it and with his last 25-06 round he stood his ground and put it between the bears eyes. The bear literally fell at his feet.

The skull still sits proudly front and center in the entryway of his house with a nice clean 25 caliber hole almost dead center between the eyes.

Rick said that after that he started carrying his 30-06 for deer on Kodiak irregardless of the time of year.

...did Rick ever trip over his enormous balls...? Lol

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
That’s an old one! Really stirred some schitt with it. Nice going Mr. Mule Deer!! 😂😂😂

Somewhere in there I said heck ya. My partner and I actually chased a grizz up in the Brooks Range. Me with a gay .270 and my buddy with a .243. It had trashed another hunter’s camp & equipment so we ran him out of the area.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a 243 is fine for... eskimo's , women and children..... men need 375 H&H's

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Jericho
People shot grizzlies with muzzle loaders over a century ago..........

They shot them with muzzleloaders over 200 years ago. Lewis and Clark's military exploration of the West from 1804-1806 involved a number of grizzlies shot with .50 caliber muzzleloaders. You can find plenty of information on how well that worked just by Googling, of you don't have a copy of their journals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,910
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.