Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
So here in Idaho, youth 10-17 can hunt both the A and B tag seasons for elk. For those who don’t know, the A tags usually give you a lot more opportunity to hunt elk (mostly antlerless) with multiple weapons, and the B tag usually gives a person a chance at a bull with a rifle.

My oldest (son) has capitalized on this a couple times in his youth but now he’s gone living his dream and guiding elk hunters in north Idaho. I usually fill the freezer with a late cow as my three daughters have been pretty busy throughout their high school years to give it a go. With only one daughter left at home and even though she’s as busy as the other two were, she agreed to me getting her an elk tag. The bull season opened a few days ago and today was the first (and likely the only) day we would get to hunt. So with a deer and an elk tag in hand we set off for our adventure before dawn.

I thought we would check an out of the way spot where I’ve bowhunted numerous elk in the past and sure enough, just as it was coming light, managed to glass up a bull headed for his bed. He wasn’t a booner by any means but good enough for my her. When I asked her what she wanted to do she said “kill that elk”. Ok, let’s go.

I’m moving a little slow as I just had my knee worked on about three weeks ago but I was game and we set off. When we got to the gate we ran into an out of state hunter. We asked him what he was after and he said deer, but his buddy had a bull tag. I asked if they had seen the same one and he confirmed they had. Not wanting to screw them up as they were there first, he conceded that it was fine for us to go after the bull. We thanked him and moved out.

We climbed up a draw north of where we last saw him and got above where I figured he probably would go. Once we hit the top, I told her we would just move slow and easy to where we could see in the draw. If we didn’t see him right away we would hunker down and glass. We must have done it right because as soon as we made it to where I wanted to glass, I immediately saw a calf bedded in the brush below us. A quick check with the binos produced the bull and five other cows bedded as well. My daughter got on the gun but the way he was laying didn’t give a chance at a shot. So I told her we would wait it out for a while as they had no idea we were there. We watched them for about two hours when one of the cows got up and started feeding for a couple minutes. When she laid back down she switched directions and was now facing us in the open. I told my daughter to hold still as she had us and to get ready cause things were about to come apart. Sure enough, the cow jumped up and bugged out over the hill. The commotion caused the bull to stand up. I asked her if she could see his shoulder to which she said “oh yeah”. I told her to bust him. A couple seconds later the .264 Win Mag roared and he dropped in his tracks. After the hugs and “good job sis” we headed down to him. She was super excited when she found he was a six point “on both sides dad”!! Not a bad little adventure and first elk. When her brother called and asked how she liked it she told him she was hooked.

The happy hunter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

upload images online

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Look at her! Great job and sincere congratulations.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome job dad!

Congrats to your daughter.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats to your daughter - great hunt and long lasting memories.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story, great pictures and a great smile! Congratulations to the hunter and dad!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She did good.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Oh hell yes! Great!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Awww, dam! That just made me feel good. Congrats!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Outstanding. Smile says it all. Congratulations to both of you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That gal did it fine and obviously so has her dad. Was it tough getting it out?..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great story-congrats!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very nice.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That gal did it fine and obviously so has her dad. Was it tough getting it out?..mb

Not when you’ve got a string of ponies that have been living on welfare so you make them earn their keep😁

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Congratulations to Daughter and dad great job!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well done!

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
264 win mag! What bullet did she shoot?? We need more female hunters .

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Not when you’ve got a string of ponies that have been living on welfare so you make them earn their keep😁

Lol double the good job and a smart job too..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats to the young lady.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congrats! Truly a great experience for both!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Alan_C
264 win mag! What bullet did she shoot?? We need more female hunters .

147 ELDM over a healthy dose of 8133. According to the rumors this bullet kills beyond what it’s supposed to for a match bullet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,048
Posts18,500,939
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.