J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I mostly agree with the OP but situations gender, age and size play some role. A woman carrying a gun, almost any reliable gun to prevent a sexual assault against a man that may be unarmed or armed with just a knife and relying solely on being stronger than her is different than the reasons a healthy man would carry.

I’m 6’3” and reasonably young and fit. I’m unlikely to be involved in a justifiable shooting against an unarmed loan individual. In the unlikely scenario that I needed to use a gun it’s likely going to be against an armed with a gun individual, or individuals as the OP described and in that circumstance I want a decent sized gun with mag capacity.

One is none.
True.

I should reconsider going Massad Ayoob and wearing a camera vest loaded up with three guns, a half dozen mags, two flashlights, pepper spray and a few sandwiches😜

No mayo if it's hot out.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Hahahaha!
You may not have encountered such a thing in your subdivision....but these dogs can run down a big northern coyote.
LOL.

No they can't.
Another subdivision superhero! Hahahaha!
Get a job.
Post pics, liar.
Done it before BurnsieBitch.
Your turn Subdivision Superhero.

So it should be easy to do it again.

But you won't because we all know you're a lying liar.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oh no! Not a lying liar!?!

Do they lie?

Get a job dummy.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh no! Not a lying liar!?!

Do they lie?

Get a job dummy.

Post pictures dummy.

But you won't because you're a lying liar.

And a Broke Dick who can't afford a good AR or any AR or a suppressor.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

A lying liar.

Your kids come up with that one?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hahaha!

A lying liar.

Your kids come up with that one?

Yet pictures are failing to load of your dogs running down coyotes right before you draw your trusty 365 from your pocket and kill your dogs.

Lying Liar is a good fit.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I mostly agree with the OP but situations, gender, age and size play some role. A woman carrying a gun, almost any reliable gun to prevent a sexual assault against a man that may be unarmed or armed with just a knife and relying solely on being stronger than her is different than the reasons a healthy man would carry.

I’m 6’3” and still reasonably young and fit. I’m unlikely to be involved in a justifiable shooting against an unarmed lone individual. In the unlikely scenario that I needed to use a gun it’s likely going to be against an armed with a gun individual, or individuals as the OP described and in that circumstance I want a decent sized gun with mag capacity.

A woman, young lady or whomever can choose to pack whatever is most appropriate for them. That point may have been lost. Having a gun that you can use and fight with is the point.

My oldest daughter, when she was not yet an adult started packing a 9mm Shield (gen 1 version). This was due to some events, as well as the fact that the local LE were completely apathetic in their response to a specific incident.

She was already a trained revolver shooter,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

so getting her tuned up on a semi auto was not too tough. I told her that she was to protect herself as necessary and I would handle the rest.

In the case of the Lewiston shootings, even having just one female with a little Shield, or P365, or some other compact 9mm or .38 Special, and effectively employing it by putting at least one round into the guts or chest of the bad guy could have altered the whole course of the events.

He may not have died immediately from taking the hit to the guts or chest or wherever, but it may have made him decide that he did not want to do anything else.

One person can make a difference if they are willing to fight back.

Both courage and fear are contagious and I have seen both in action. You can have one person panic and start running, and the next thing you know everyone is panicking and doing the same. Courage works the same way.

People are generally just looking for direction. A leader. Once they see someone take charge and go after the enemy/a bad guy (or whatever the objective is) they too will become bold, all of the sudden, they are not as scared anymore and they will decide to take action as well.

So pack a gun, practice with it, develop your skill sets and be able to protect those you love and care for. Nobody else is going to do it for you.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
And what could posses a man to take a 30 yard shot on his own dog with a handgun?

Jimmy is not quite right in the head.

That's right. His family should move out of the trailer. Now.

Last edited by SupFoo; 10/28/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I knew I was going to be in a bowling alley that was going to be attacked by a guy with an AR10, and a handgun was the only option, I would bring my G40. However, I always have my Sig 938 in a Sticky Holster in my right pocket with a spare mag in the left. Just more convenient on a daily basis. Unless the attacker, unfortunately, was focused on me particularly from the start, I feel like I would have a high probability of giving him a CNS shot or more with that setup while he is blasting away. A long-barreled 10mm would be better, but, at close range, a short-barreled 9mm, that I always have with me, should be sufficient. I like the pocket carry, for me, because I can reach, draw, and fire very quickly without it appearing that I am reaching for a weapon. A bigger issue, to me, than the model of handgun I have (within reason), is whether I had the determination, and the speed and competence of action, to be calmly aggressive and put rounds in the right place, rather than seeking cover. I've programed myself mentally to do so, in the unlikely event I ever am in that scenario. I'm 55. I don't have that much longer to live, in the grand scheme, anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari
What's the Fire's opinion of the Sig P365?

A quality piece, way easy takedown and reassembly (unlike that tiny, easily lost assembly pin in the EC9). Double stack mag, way better sights than the EC9 but…….

…….it’s too heavy for a pocket, and a bit too wide.

I have the LC9, which is identical to the EC9 except with better sights. Ive been impressed, easy to shoot well for such a small handgun. With the single stack nine round mags it offers a 9+1 capacity in a narrow and flat package. However my experience has been that the nine round mags are prone to misfeeds. They use the same 7 round mag spring in the 9 rounders.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My ec9 works just fine birdwatcher. Carries in frt jean pocket fine too.
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Spot on Mackey

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of the most relevant, spot on threads in a long time.

Should have been locked and pinned before the retards showed up.

Thanks Mackay! The truth doesn't get through to many, but some know it for what it is.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
In the case of the Lewiston shootings, even having just one female with a little Shield, or P365, or some other compact 9mm or .38 Special, and effectively employing it by putting at least one round into the guts or chest of the bad guy could have altered the whole course of the events.

He may not have died immediately from taking the hit to the guts or chest or wherever, but it may have made him decide that he did not want to do anything else.

One person can make a difference if they are willing to fight back.

Both courage and fear are contagious and I have seen both in action. You can have one person panic and start running, and the next thing you know everyone is panicking and doing the same. Courage works the same way.

People are generally just looking for direction. A leader. Once they see someone take charge and go after the enemy/a bad guy (or whatever the objective is) they too will become bold, all of the sudden, they are not as scared anymore and they will decide to take action as well.

So pack a gun, practice with it, develop your skill sets and be able to protect those you love and care for. Nobody else is going to do it for you.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but besides the original OP, this is probably the best post regarding self defense and defense of others that I have ever seen.

Those of us that haven't been there do not know what we'll actually do.

I have been in plenty of physical fights and I can assure you 95% of them involved friends that were getting into it with someone and the "someones" buddies decided to join in.

I feel that mindset of protecting others would carry over to a gunfight but I'd be lying to myself by thinking that because one just doesn't know until it happens.

On one hand, I've trained in the martial arts so I feel confident enough to defend myself and others that may need it.

On the other hand, I have very little experience in hand gunning, so the confidence isn't there to know "exactly" what I would do.

I know for a fact, I wouldn't do nothing. If the shooter had his back to me, I'd probably tackle his ass before I would shoot him in the back. Again, I don't know.

Who really knows until you're there?

I'm starting to see the light...

If you are well trained, you will have the confidence to take the fight to them. If you are not well trained, you will either cower and run or be a victim yourself.

Mackay, you have opened my eyes and I need to train more with a self defense firearm.

Thank you for that.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
One of the most relevant, spot on threads in a long time.

Should have been locked and pinned before the retards showed up.

Thanks Mackay! The truth doesn't get through to many, but some know it for what it is.

Like.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Last month there was a thread in the handguns section called "Summer Carry".

It started out as the typical "what pocket gun do you carry in the hot weather" type thread.

I answered with the following post:

[i]What gun is the minimum you are willing to get into a gunfight against one or possibly two armed bad guys with? Armed as in both have at minimum, handguns. Are you willing to get into that gunfight, which is a fight to the death, (them or you) with a Kahr that holds 7 rounds of .380?

For me, I know what my choices are. Each has to decide. Personally, I don't own any of the micro guns, that hold a very small amount of rounds, as I don't want to fall into the habit of grabbing what is comfortable, rather than what will actually get the job done. My only exception is a J Frame, and it is relegated to BUG role, and on exceedingly rare occasions a primary, but pretty much 99+% of the time I carry a gun I am willing to actually fight with and can turn in a good performance while using.[/i

I posted again showing what I had chosen to carry that day, which was my Glock 22, .40 S&W a reload and a knife.

One of the more condescending members (Wrapids) stated:

"None of my friends in central Wisconsin feel a need to carry a gun."

Then followed up afterwards by telling one of our other members that since they carried a gun and ammo, with this post:

"Sounds like you should leave a war zone"

I posted a few days later that I was packing the following, showing this picture:

To which Wrapids replied:

"You oughtta leave a war zone."

Here is the thing.

I RARELY comment about much of the stuff that goes on and try to stay out of it for the most part.

That said. This condescending liberal attitude is exactly why we just ended up with 18 people dead and 13 more wounded. Over 30 people total, plus all their families. Kids, spouses, parents, all the people who cared for them.

NOBODY SHOT BACK.

When the fight started, nobody took the fight to the enemy. Nobody stood their ground and put rounds into the bad guy.

NOBODY.

So Wrapids, maybe you should feel the need to carry a gun, because NOBODY is coming to save you.

It is up to individuals to protect themselves. It is not the job of the government, or the nanny state. You are responsible for your own protection and those you care for who are unable to protect themselves.

You and NOBODY ELSE.

Your typical liberal won't fight his own fight, but he sure will call the police and have someone else do it. He is too scared to do the job himself, but not too scared to put someone else at risk. Pathetic.

Back on point,

You don't get to pick and choose when these things are going to happen or where. They are like a gift from a stranger. You have to unwrap it and deal with it, no matter what it is. Odds are that the situation will not be in your favor as the bad guy(s) will have planned it that way. So deal with it.

That is why you carry a gun you are willing to get into a fight with, and actually be prepared to fight.

Just one person with a gun and some skills could have made a difference and changed the outcome drastically.

Think about Eli Dickens.

The 22 year old young man who stopped what would have been a massacre in a shopping mall. He did so by carrying a gun daily and practicing. When the time came, he did not run, he took the fight to the enemy and stopped a massacre before really got going.

This is The Way.

Amen. Excellent post. Psalm 82:4

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by luv2safari
What's the Fire's opinion of the Sig P365?

Those are good guns but in keeping with what Mackay is trying to convey, you need to ask if you can really fight with it.

In all likelihood that answer is no.

The 365XMacros on the other hand are a real beast. Full grip frame, excellent capacity, slimmer profile than a standard double stack and an abbreviated slide. The shorter slide is especially useful if you appendix carry. the reduced sight radius is not much of a factor these days because most everyone is running a dot.

When you reduce the size of your grip frame you're reducing the amount of contact you have with any pistol. This makes you shoot it less effectively than you would a full size. Regardless of skill level.

They also induce all sorts of problems with your draw from concealment. Think trying to grab two fingers instead of somebody's forearm/wrist. The same applies to reloads. Small (short) grip frames suck.

I could be wrong but I don't think I'm overstepping when I say these are some of the points Mackay is making when he says a "gun I can fight with."

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like my P365.
Yeah its not as small as others.

Double stack and accurate.
Consider it a minimum these days.

Standard model, the short grip frame actually works well for me.
Didnt know if it would, normally dont like em.
Maybe the width helped?

Have full size HK too. But summer is 365 time.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/29/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cools pics Mackay. It looks like you’re daughter’s a hell of a good rider and shooter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OP,
Excellent post. Too bad the message is getting squeezed out by the noise on this one.
I rarely “carry” but pretty much live in or near my work truck and there’s always a Kimber 1911 with two loaded mags and a 25rd box of ammo in the console. I’ve had to pull it out a total of one time in a bad section of a rough little town. Slid one in the chamber and had it on my lap for a couple minutes and the issue resolved itself thankfully. Guessing when I parked at this job I’d interrupted a drug deal.
I was extremely glad I didn’t have anything less.

Page 5 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (222Sako, 1badf350, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 70 invisible), 14,125 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,828
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.