Hop To
Page 8 of 37 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 36 37
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by shootem
So for Mac or anyone else who can compare actual results in the field, do we go 9mm or 10mm Short.

Whichever you perform best with.

In my observation I have yet to see anyone shoot better with a harder recoiling gun, than one that kicks less.

If you put identical models such as a G17 9mm and G22 .40 in the hands of 10 people, and run them through a series of drills where a combination of speed and accuracy are tested, then pretty much every time the shooters will perform better with the softer recoiling 9mm G17.

That said, there may be other reasons a person chooses to carry a larger caliber such as a .40. For example, does the person have threats that are not strictly human? Do they intend to use the same gun as a trail gun? Do they work around large domestic animals such as cattle and horses. Cattle and horses kill far more people than all the various species of bears combined do each year in the United States. Do you have elk and moose where you live?

In one of the pictures I posted above it shows a Gen 3 Glock 22. That is loaded with a 170 grain poly coated SWC that does 1200 FPS. That is a smoking hot load for a .40 S&W. (Disclaimer. I produce and sell my own ammo) It actually equals some manufacturers 10mm loads when chronographed, but does it in a smaller framed gun.

It is also super accurate, which is one thing I never cared for in regards to .40s, as their accuracy was poor as compared to other service cartridges. This one took a long time to develop, but it is a tack driver. The point of the exercise was to have a very deep penetrating, very accurate load that would still fit in a standard frame. One that guys who did not want to buy a 10mm could carry, or 10mm frames were too big for their hands. That was the end result.

As it ended up, it was so accurate, I started carrying it more and more, and my 9mms have not gotten as much attention lately.

This was at 25 yards the other day:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And while doing the testing, over sandbags:

I have carried it a bunch this late spring, summer, and fall as it is simply a tack driver and I would have zero issue taking precise shots if needed.

Now with that said,

The 9mm.

If you live in a rather urban area and don't hike in places where large predators are much of a threat, then there is not much reason to go with anything other than a 9mm. They are the easiest to control, recoil wise, generally have the best capacity, and there are loads out there that will get the job done.

I keep a couple 9mms on hand in the house for home defense purposes.

Example is a G19 with a weapons light, as well as a flashlight (so you don't point a gun at things you should not by using the weapons light as a flashlight). The G19 has a factory Glock 24 round mag in it.

I have some +P 148 grain hardcast flatpoints in it. They are also a deep penetrating load. I figure that 24+1 should get me through just about any reasonable situation, w/o needing to reload. The 24 round mag is still a manageable size and not cumbersome, as compared to the crazy long 33 rd mags that are really not practical.

So in summary, if your only anticipated threat is human criminals, I would opt for a 9mm. If you use the gun for hiking and outdoors activities and may feel the need to protect yourself against larger animals, then a .40 may be a good choice.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
…….it’s too heavy for a pocket, and a bit too wide. ...

Did you notice the holsters in Mackay's post?

The pull up your pants, put on a belt so you can carry a real gun.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Next up will be "I shoot better without an optic."

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I carry a G-19 one mag in two inside mag. pouch. 45 rounds of HP hoping that is enough. With all that is going on you never know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
This is The Way.

Definitely

Been saying the same forever, too, about not carrying mouse guns.

Also made the same comment about no one being armed or willing/able to take the guy down.

Where that happened clearly illustrates that something like that can happen anywhere in the country at anytime as all kinds of crazies are not confined to the big Metro areas nor are they all foreign radicals.

But many here will still not heed the advice.

When I posted on the subject, one guy even replied that if he carried, it was only to protect him & his, implying that in a situation like Maine, he would not engage.

Hard to understand that thinking.

MM

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Well said, Mackay Sagebrush.

I posted this before in another thread, regarding Maine's Concealed Carry laws. A Maine man or woman can carry a handgun concealed without a permit/license. If anyone were carrying, he/she did not shoot back.

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/sites/maine.gov.dps.msp/files/inline-files/LD%20652%20Summary.pdf

L.W.
As I understand the Maine CC laws, it is not legal to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. That is what I read somewhere. Maybe that's not true.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Well said, Mackay Sagebrush.

I posted this before in another thread, regarding Maine's Concealed Carry laws. A Maine man or woman can carry a handgun concealed without a permit/license. If anyone were carrying, he/she did not shoot back.

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/sites/maine.gov.dps.msp/files/inline-files/LD%20652%20Summary.pdf

L.W.
As I understand the Maine CC laws, it is not legal to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. That is what I read somewhere. Maybe that's not true.

It's legal to carry in establishments that serve alcohol unless posted to the contrary. Both of the alcohol serving locations were posted NO GUNS ALLOWED.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mr. Sagebrush or Flave, do either of you have any experience with the G23?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

In their defense, people with schitty fundamentals can't even find the dot on the draw, so they probably do......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As usual good post and thread MS...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The cf still has a few actual SMEs who are willing to share their hard won experience. When this occurs the lightweights instantly show their asses by trying to rationalize their poor choices and refusal to accept reality.

Summer carry, a 1911 in my truck, I live in the sticks, pocket guns. etc,etc. Anyone who has put in the effort to become competent w/ a handgun in a self defense role has learned what actually works and recognizes and embraces the fact that shooting well is a perishable skill.

If you think you are good enough...you are wrong.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Mr. Sagebrush or Flave, do either of you have any experience with the G23?

Yes.

Great gun but I have determined the 19/23 size guns are pointless. The supposed benefit of concealability is mostly moot IMO.

And unless you have some tiny dick beaters, you're giving up contact surface and hindering reloads with that size gun.

Having said that, I do own a 19 and a 23, but I keep them around as spares mostly.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by goalie

LOL

In their defense, people with schitty fundamentals can't even find the dot on the draw, so they probably do......

I concede your point but that wasn't my point.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

LOL

Hard to mount an optic on a bar of soap in a sock.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
Deflave,
Interesting thoughts on he smaller guns statement.

I shoot my G29 better than my 20.

No, you don't.

My 29 shoots better than my 20? crazy

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL

I concede your point but that wasn't my point.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Great post/thread MS and some thought provoking responses, minus a few retards!

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
[quote=goalie][quote=deflave]Next up will be "I shoot better without an optic."

LOL

Some of us are color blind and struggle to see the dot period. Secondly to me a handgun is a close quarter gun or a gun to give some firepower cover( firing back)to allow me to get to my shotgun or ar

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty basic.
How do you stop a bad guy with gun?
A good guy with gun!

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Some of us are color blind and struggle to see the dot period. Secondly to me a handgun is a close quarter gun or a gun to give some firepower cover( firing back)to allow me to get to my shotgun or ar

How does not knowing the color of the dot stop you from seeing the dot?

Page 8 of 37 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 16,125 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,156
Posts18,542,747
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.